Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

vandalism posted:

Reading the DS3 reddit, it appears that there are some nasty hacks going on. Has anyone successfully used the Blue Sentinel mod? I wanna protect myself but I don't wanna get in trouble. I have modded plenty of games before, but never dark souls. It feels like something sacred to me, and therefore I don't touch it. If it saves me from random shitlords, though...

I have not played with any mods, but I hear those "protection" mods can also be detected by the game as cheating and get you banned from online play. But this is second hand anecdotal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've been using Blue Sentinel and Wex Dust (red orb from Firelink, invade anywhere) and haven't been softbanned yet. I'd rather gamble on a mod potentially spooking them off than have some hacker inject malicious bullshit onto my character, guaranteeing something lovely happens.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

vandalism posted:

Reading the DS3 reddit, it appears that there are some nasty hacks going on. Has anyone successfully used the Blue Sentinel mod? I wanna protect myself but I don't wanna get in trouble. I have modded plenty of games before, but never dark souls. It feels like something sacred to me, and therefore I don't touch it. If it saves me from random shitlords, though...
Blue Sentinels is fine, been using it since 04/2021 without any issues. Also you can skip the intro logos with it as a bonus.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I will give it a shot. I don't want my game mulched. I don't want poo poo injected that flags me as a cheater and gets me banned. Thanks goon bros.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

vandalism posted:

I will give it a shot. I don't want my game mulched. I don't want poo poo injected that flags me as a cheater and gets me banned. Thanks goon bros.

As I recall Blue Sentinel doesn't do any of the stuff that does that. I think it just inspects incoming packets, which doesn't get you flagged.

What it DOES do is update frequently enough to annoy me, personally, enough to be dumb and disable it because it's cumbersome to keep updated, but that's just me and you shouldn't follow my example

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

As I recall Blue Sentinel doesn't do any of the stuff that does that. I think it just inspects incoming packets, which doesn't get you flagged.

What it DOES do is update frequently enough to annoy me, personally, enough to be dumb and disable it because it's cumbersome to keep updated, but that's just me and you shouldn't follow my example

Sweet. I was thinking more along the lines of other people invading me and injecting a hacked item into my inventory that flags me as a cheater. I can't believe that's even a thing. I just installed it so I hope it saves me some frustration.

Edit:

Nobody bit on the co op but I'm still down to play together on PC if anyone is up for it.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 26, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I did! <:mad:>

John Murdoch posted:

I am always up for jolly cooperation on PC!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Sorry mang. What area you wanna do? I missed ya. I am at darkeater midir right now on my mage guy and at high wall still on my bleed guy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've been helping other folks with Midir as of late, but I'm good with whatever, tbh. :) All I've got is the one endgame character though, so I guess just lemme know if I should bring something a bit more scaled down than a +10 bonk stick if you wanna work on early game stuff without me just blowing everything up.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

I've been helping other folks with Midir as of late, but I'm good with whatever, tbh. :) All I've got is the one endgame character though, so I guess just lemme know if I should bring something a bit more scaled down than a +10 bonk stick if you wanna work on early game stuff without me just blowing everything up.

I am at the ringed inner wall ready to summon. Wanna use a password or just tell me your name and I will summon you? I hate midir and will be pestilence misting him lol.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Might as well pop a password on to make it easy. The ole goon standard: lljk

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Hell yeah I am locked and loaded

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Welp. I am garbage, lol. I got one more try then I am gonna call it a night.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Was a valiant effort... my friend code on steam is 10855642 if you wanna add me. Or anyone else who wants to play is welcome to add me too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wish I had any fuckin' clue what to do when he uses his phase 2 laser tantrum. I feel like we would've had him twice over if not for that one bullshit attack.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

vandalism posted:

It worked just fine for me for a while before it randomly bugged out and DS3 started instantly crashing on startup, until I removed the mod. I'm not sure what caused that or how to fix it.
You'll need to do some settings tweaking in the config file if you don't want annoying text appearing around the top of your screen with the words [BLUE SENTINEL] or a list of connected players in multiplayer.

What am I looking at here? Those hitboxes look fine to me.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Holy poo poo sister Friede is such a cool fight. I got to the end of phase 2 and was like, huh, beat her first try, she was cool as gently caress but pretty easy, i could poisebreak the poo poo out of her with my fists.

And then phase 3 started :psyduck: :aaa:

I was pretty low on healing by that point and got frostbitten to death. I think i got her next time though. Then i think all that's left is to ring the bell at archdragon peak and then beat slave knight gael!

E: and midir!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

I wish I had any fuckin' clue what to do when he uses his phase 2 laser tantrum. I feel like we would've had him twice over if not for that one bullshit attack.

Like all of Midir's stuff, be right up in his grill.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

What am I looking at here? Those hitboxes look fine to me.
It was actual praise for the hitboxes. My swing made me duck under his swing. Other games would've counted that as a hit for him.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Like all of Midir's stuff, be right up in his grill.

The problem is that he loves to jump to the opposite side of the arena before doing that particular attack. If I stay at range, he targets me with the first beam and I die. If I try to run closer, I end up right in the path of the follow-up sweep and I die.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

John Murdoch posted:

Haul rear end towards Midir left side. The beam is telegraphed well ahead, so start running as soon as you see the charge.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

such are the risks of not locking on while using vertical GSes

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Simply Simon posted:

That one is severely bugged, I only get the ring about half the time
really? I've played through this game like 10+ times and have never seen that guy not drop down like he's supposed to

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

vandalism posted:

Claymore is love, claymore is life.

The claymore is a great multi-purpose weapon in all the games, and you can tell From loves it, too, because they even ported the moveset to Bloodborne for the un-transformed Holy Moonlight Sword.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

such are the risks of not locking on while using vertical GSes
Not complaining, I'm simply amazed that the hitboxes are that exact. Also I totally whooped that guy's butt shortly after, yep yep :arghfist::butt:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I GOT BACK UP AND PWNED HIM

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

I GOT BACK UP AND PWNED HIM
https://media.giphy.com/media/rf30qXFkpSxrCs0qMO/giphy.mp4
WHOOPED HIM I DID

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

am i missing out on much beside an ending if i cure the beef jerky

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

StashAugustine posted:

am i missing out on much beside an ending if i cure the beef jerky

You lose Yuria's shop and her armor set / weapon, unless you murder her first.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

IronicDongz posted:

really? I've played through this game like 10+ times and have never seen that guy not drop down like he's supposed to
I always lure him out to the stairs because it's easier to fight there. His body often glitches through them, robbing me of the drop.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I'm jealous of all the people who are saying "yeah, just do the invasions for covenant items." as if ⅔'s of all invasions don't end with the host disconnecting the moment you arrive.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That happens pretty rarely in my experience. And players who force-disconnect too many times get temp banned from online play anyways.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mound makers is such a brilliant covenant idea lol. Just mad phantoms who show up, will they attack you? Will they help you? Who knows!

yeah i had alot of fun with them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just tried some PVP and it's pretty fun since I seemed to have a good connection; kinda wish estus took like half a second longer to chug

Am up to stating Cathedral and haven't gone towards Farron yet, is it worth dipping into the DLC?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

StashAugustine posted:

I just tried some PVP and it's pretty fun since I seemed to have a good connection; kinda wish estus took like half a second longer to chug

Am up to stating Cathedral and haven't gone towards Farron yet, is it worth dipping into the DLC?

dlc is pretty high level, but you can run around and pick up some decent items if you are fine with dying from packs of dogs and slow fireballs

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Imo Ariandel is doable around the time you've dealt with the first 3 Lords of Cinder and Ringed City is very much endgame, considering you can't access it until you've cleared Ariandel/Lothric.

That said if you're willing to dip a toe into Ariandel once you have access, there are 3 very good weapons just lying around that you may be interested in picking up (you can run past just about every mob if you want to vacuum items). Crow Quills (Dex), Millwood Axe (Str), and Onyx Blade (Pyro), though you'll need to kill a NPC for that last one.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im just happy to meet other violent lunatics who, upon first receipt of a souls game, immediately starts invading and hunting and being hunted by other players in spite of a dearth of game knowledge

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Invading is my favorite way to learn an area.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sir Tonk posted:

yeah i had alot of fun with them

My experience with invading in the post-pontiff bonfire at SL50.

-Literally half the time it times out.

Of the successful connections:
-1/3 is someone being babysat through the PVE content.
-1/3 is a scared solo guy
-1/3 is a big group fight of people here for the big group fights.

Very very very rarely, it's a dueling PVP set up with people joining and spectating. Those aren't fun to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

And Tyler Too! posted:

Imo Ariandel is doable around the time you've dealt with the first 3 Lords of Cinder and Ringed City is very much endgame, considering you can't access it until you've cleared Ariandel/Lothric.

That said if you're willing to dip a toe into Ariandel once you have access, there are 3 very good weapons just lying around that you may be interested in picking up (you can run past just about every mob if you want to vacuum items). Crow Quills (Dex), Millwood Axe (Str), and Onyx Blade (Pyro), though you'll need to kill a NPC for that last one.

Running through to the cathedral for the chillbite ring might also be worth your time.