Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The best CAS is whatever you put your war-winning super-pilot in.

I adore that Ace Combat has just like, figured out that seems to happen in every peer war and has intel agencies that look for The Ace Combat Protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I like to imagine that eventually they'll also be trying to find out ways to prevent the other side of getting the Ace Combat Protagonist.

"Sir, I found the perfect target to send our bombers to and end the war immediately!"

"A secluded, yet still strategically important, airbase with an unproven, but plucky squadron? You fool, you're playing right into the enemy's hand!"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Stravag posted:

Look all this is pointless because the best cas platform is was and always will be the Dreamland EB52s with stealth coatings, tail launcher guided proximity detonated rockets, dial a yield tactical plasma missiles, alcms, and pylons full of aim120s under the wings which somehow dont affect it being harder to spot than an f22

I eyeballed the plot synopsis and how “The Wingman” is that on a scale of 10?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Warbird posted:

I eyeballed the plot synopsis and how “The Wingman” is that on a scale of 10?

I dunno but I in turn just eyeballed the synopsis of this and lmfao

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

I like to imagine that eventually they'll also be trying to find out ways to prevent the other side of getting the Ace Combat Protagonist.

"Sir, I found the perfect target to send our bombers to and end the war immediately!"

"A secluded, yet still strategically important, airbase with an unproven, but plucky squadron? You fool, you're playing right into the enemy's hand!"

AC: Zero, but from the perspective of Pixy. poo poo, that's perfect. Start a few years before Zero, as Pixy's mentor, flying earlier Cold-War jets (maybe even a Mentor). Continue as Pixy in the Belkan War after his flight lead dies, but before he meets the Protagonist. Rehash a few Zero missions as a minion and then
do some Spec Ops WWOB poo poo with super planes until you get shot down.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

It’s still hilarious that in Desert Storm the F-111 killed more tanks than the A-10.

(Are there any AC games that have the F-111)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's in HAWX 1 from what I can remember, but I don't think I've seen it any AC game. At least not flyable.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
According to a quick check on acepedia, neither the F-111 nor the EF-111 are in any AC games.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I think it was in the Air Force Delta series. That always had the weird plane selection.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

I dunno but I in turn just eyeballed the synopsis of this and lmfao

Oh man you guys have GOT to read flight of the old dog its crazy. I mean the b52 in it shoots down multiple mig29s and su27s. It's hilarious dad airport scifi. The Russians have a ground based laser that takes out a space shuttle. Stuff is nuts

Stravag fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 26, 2021

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah it was in Air Force Delta: Strike.

But uhhhhh… just look at this plane list holy poo poo

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Someone did a thread on Wingman and I think Flight of the Old Dog and they're both absolutely insane AIRPOWER PATRIOTS but - let me preface this by saying my memory is not 100% reliable on this - but as I remember, one was written by a b-52 nav so you'd be amazed how a navigator on a plane can lay waste to all their foes - okay, power fantasy, but it's a souped up B-52. The other is a guy in one of the Thunderbirds F-16s with six gatling guns somehow crammed in the fuselage don't ask questions, powers up like Goku anytime he's staring at an American flag, also he's got psychic powers or something and eventually goes to space and fights aliens.

so both are totally absurd nonsense but Wingman jettisons any hint of plausibility real early, Old Dog pretends to hold on to it longer

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 26, 2021

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah the Wingman synopsis was loving wild

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I like the russian planes because their blue paint is cool looking :)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Julius CSAR posted:

If you do certain things the grouchy dude flying old prop planes agrees to upgrade to a first generation jet so he can fly to Mars for the end of the campaign stuff with you lol.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Julius CSAR posted:

I never realized I needed to play that game before. I'm willing to put up with a lot if I can actually fly a skyray in something.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Airforce Delta Strike loving owned tbh

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
They got the goddamn F-106 in there, it’s nuts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Uh oh looks like somebody in Osea committed a war crime.

E: Oh god dammit front side of the coin. Chopper, I blame you for this.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 28, 2021

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Give him a break maaaaan!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Is it weird that I had to pause and google when he said it in the mission to see if it was another Puddle of Mudd reference

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

No, properly assigning blame to Chopper is an important duty. Best to take the time to get it right.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's so weird that despite coming like a decade before the tweet, Chopper is the perfect representation of "I'm just a little guy, it's my birthday!"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Psycho Landlord posted:

Airforce Delta Strike loving owned tbh

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Jesus red alert in PW conquest mode is stupid, at least for missions with priority targets. Basically all you can do is hit and run the entire group with the burst missiles and run away while popping flares.

I enjoy conquest mode in theory but it really needs another pass.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Is it weird that I had to pause and google when he said it in the mission to see if it was another Puddle of Mudd reference

For a short time I thought [Blank] of the Coin was the name for Blurry.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I thought the guy on the poster in the cutscene where Chopper is listening to Blurry was the lead singer of Puddle of Mudd. And then I learned who Wes Scantlin was.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Kibayasu posted:

Thank gently caress, I wasn't the only one.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm sorry for asking for help again for the very next mission but how the hell do I beat this motherfucker at the end of AC7 M10? It doesn't even move like a normal plane and seems to be able to shoot my missiles out of the air at will.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Alright, this time I have to focus on the tanks so they don't destroy the airport and I....hit the ground."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm sorry for asking for help again for the very next mission but how the hell do I beat this motherfucker at the end of AC7 M10? It doesn't even move like a normal plane and seems to be able to shoot my missiles out of the air at will.

I don’t remember exactly how I did that one but given what I do remember of later missions I probably used the gun.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

There are spots in that enemy's pattern where they are vulnerable to your shots so you could discern the pattern and time your shots or you can just brute force it by constantly raining missiles on it whenever it might connect. Best done by carrying an air-to-air SP weapon like QAAMs or HCAAs and space your shots out so you are always firing a single missile in an unending chain by staggering cooldowns/swapping types.

or just use the gun like kiba suggests. Or if you have DLC planes, bring the Raven with UAVs and return the favor :getin:

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Hey in general airplane/jet stuff, if anyone is near the Kansas City area the airshow is this weekend and they’re gonna have both the Blue Angels AND the Thunderbirds!!!!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Psion posted:

There are spots in that enemy's pattern where they are vulnerable to your shots so you could discern the pattern and time your shots or you can just brute force it by constantly raining missiles on it whenever it might connect. Best done by carrying an air-to-air SP weapon like QAAMs or HCAAs and space your shots out so you are always firing a single missile in an unending chain by staggering cooldowns/swapping types.

or just use the gun like kiba suggests. Or if you have DLC planes, bring the Raven with UAVs and return the favor :getin:

This. There are points in its pattern when it flies head on at you (and I think one is almost immediately after the checkpoint). MiG-21 with gun pods will wreck it in a pass or two, but that might not be the most new player friendly tactic. If you have any planes with 6 or 8AAMs unlocked, those will let you fire all n at once.

The dual rail guns on the CFA-44 are also a fun option if you have that DLC.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Extend and shoot SAAMs from max range. Easy peasy

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

I completed all medals in AC7! :toot:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Gratz

I keep taking hits :(

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
in the levels with the Arsenal birds the MQ-101 swarms have a nasty habit of randomly clipping you with machine gun fire out of nowhere.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Psycho Landlord posted:

Gratz

I keep taking hits :(

If you were a real ace you would redirect them to nonessential areas like your posting :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
So buying ace combat deluxe edition with a UK account worked an I’m downloading ACE COMBAT 5 to MY PS4 Pro. For once Reddit was useful!