Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Fun fact! There is a plug-in for Pycharm called BlackConnect that auto-formats your code when you save a file. It hooks into the black daemon. It’s very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

prom candy posted:

We used containers for development but the real world performance of docker on MacOS was so bad we ended up going back to figuring out how to just run everything locally on our machines. Our one developer was on a slightly order MBP (like 2015) and every request to his local containerized web server was taking 4+ seconds.
Yeah I'm actually going back and forth on this. We decided our deploy pipeline is built on docker but MacOS docker is just so bad that I'm really thinking of just switching to not using docker at all for development. It's annoying because docker-compose up is so much easier than having to manage Postgres, a Python application, and a React frontend server, but if it just destroys our batteries and has poo poo performance it's probably more of a pain in the rear end to develop with it than otherwise.

Of course this goes to an earlier decision by the company to use Macbooks, when you could have just bought everyone a nice Surface and we could just run Docker on WSL.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Wait what's the issue with Mac Docker? It's worked well enough when I've used it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Performance is god awful for some reason.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Docker on macOS is just a linux VM.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

Docker on macOS is just a linux VM.

They somehow made the docker app slower than running docker in a Parallels Linux VM lmao.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Also, it breaks on pretty much every minor update. I think the last update required three separate patch releases before it started working again.

Combine that with the fact that they consider skipping an update a "pro" version and baby you've got a stew going.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
What does "breaks" mean in this situation? We use docker extensively for our local dev environment and performance aside it's never simply stopped working.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Of course this goes to an earlier decision by the company to use Macbooks, when you could have just bought everyone a nice Surface and we could just run Docker on WSL.

I tried this, ran into a bunch of other headaches. I also used Linux as my primary development environment for a while and it worked well enough but I ended up back on MacOS because I need a laptop and IMO Apple still makes the best ones. If you have a team full of people who love Windows/Linux then yeah buying Macbooks probably isn't the best choice. I think most people prefer to have the ability to work in whatever OS they like though.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried to implement something like StreamDeck or a LoupeDeck into their workflow for Visual Studio / VSCode?

I've been working on a list of 'things I'd like to be able to do in one button', and it's getting to a critical mass such that I'm considering getting one of these devices. A LoupeDeck in particular seems substantially more flexible, but will likely require more specific configuration. Honestly though, if I can make it work, I'd love to try and investigate what it would take to put some functionality on those kinds of devices.

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Performance is god awful for some reason.

I just thought this was due to our application being complete rubbish. Glad to know it's not just us!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

What does "breaks" mean in this situation? We use docker extensively for our local dev environment and performance aside it's never simply stopped working.

can't speak for anyone else but I notice a lot of inexplicable, inconsistent bugs. A recent version would stop responding to any HTTP requests once every few days. A couple of versions before that picked a months-old version of an image and decided it was the only version it would use, even if I deleted and re-built that version. The developers seem to understand these issues exist, because the solution is always to go to the giant bug button in their dashboard and "reset to factory defaults."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We had a similar issue that could only be solved by rolling back to pre-3.2. Docker for Mac sucks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I used to have a pretty good idea of how to scope out a project, product, or component of a system. I’m not a great tech lead, but I’ve delivered a number of successful projects and codebases by now and I like to think I’ve learned something and now feel comfortable with the overall system we’ve implemented at work. And that I’ve become competent enough to bring value using what I’ve learned.

I’m currently in a meeting with stakeholders on the Big Ol Ecosystem Redesign - not as a planner myself but as someone helping to scope work out - and holy poo poo is it a bit of a nightmare. All sorts of confusion about what the gently caress we’re even doing, about what epics cover what work, bad mental models of how our technology works and should be architected, a massive amount of pre-planning, conjecture, and bikeshedding for stuff that may not work or even matter in the first place…holy crap, nobody knows what they’re loving doing. Not even me.

I don’t want to be a manager, team lead, or project planner. Ever. I’m scared hold me :(

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The worst part is the unearned confidence everybody clings onto in those meetings. Like nobody is willing to admit they don't know everything and the planning surges forward regardless. Meanwhile, anybody who tries to slow things down gets dinged on their next review for being stubborn and disruptive . Good poo poo.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CPColin posted:

The worst part is the unearned confidence everybody clings onto in those meetings. Like nobody is willing to admit they don't know everything and the planning surges forward regardless. Meanwhile, anybody who tries to slow things down gets dinged on their next review for being stubborn and disruptive . Good poo poo.

Would rather die than have less than 100% utilization. Busy above all.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Going line by line through some code that is meant to audit data coming in from a source. They are called "audits" everywhere in the code except in this one 5000 line class where they guy who wrote this over a decade ago called them "edits" and it drives me loving crazy.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Rubellavator posted:

Going line by line through some code that is meant to audit data coming in from a source. They are called "audits" everywhere in the code except in this one 5000 line class where they guy who wrote this over a decade ago called them "edits" and it drives me loving crazy.

I'm inspired: I'm going to name the next audit-related class I create "Oddits." It's not going to get through the PR process, but it'll be worth a laugh.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Che Delilas posted:

I'm inspired: I'm going to name the next audit-related class I create "Oddits." It's not going to get through the PR process, but it'll be worth a laugh.

“Because we use this to look for oddities :colbert:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Guys over from IT finally set up an Gitlab account for me. Dude in charge seemed to have a huge problem with me doing various Git stuff on command-line (IDK, it's a habit from way back, using simpler text editors).

Eventually I mentioned that I have Sourcetree installed, mainly for me to reminisce over commits in a visually more pleasing way. He tried his damnest to convince me to use it exclusively, not understanding that it's essentially just a loving frontend to Git. I mean, FFS, when you e.g. push your branch, it just straight out opens up a logging window and spews out 1:1 the same poo poo as the command-line tool would. But to him, using Sourcetree, commandline Git or say VSCode's integration are three unrelated things minding their own business.

Also, for nearly two decades, we over here in data analysis have been doing direct database queries, something head honcho apparently didn't fully realize (then again, he's not employed for that long), and it suddenly ended in a debate of principles, about how it's their responsibility to generate the data, wanting us to use some yet to be created microservices from their part. They're a bunch of desk jockeys that probably haven't even seen a monkey wrench from close-up, we're the guys that have practical knowledge of all the manufacturing stuff. Yet they think they're better suited in evaluating data?

(Nevermind they have a lag time of several months implementing requests. I need data stat, not half a year from now. That wouldn't include all the back and forth crosschecking their output and trying to explain to them what's not right, repeat ad nauseum. Which is what happened plenty when they implemented applications for various departments.)

This is gonna be fun.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 25, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Combat Pretzel posted:

Guys over from IT finally set up an Gitlab account for me. Dude in charge seemed to have a huge problem with me doing various Git stuff on command-line (IDK, it's a habit from way back, using simpler text editors).

Eventually I mentioned that I have Sourcetree installed, mainly for me to reminisce over commits in a visually more pleasing way. He tried his damnest to convince me to use it exclusively, not understanding that it's essentially just a loving frontend to Git. I mean, FFS, when you e.g. push your branch, it just straight out opens up a logging window and spews out 1:1 the same poo poo as the command-line tool would. But to him, using Sourcetree, commandline Git or say VSCode's integration are three unrelated things minding their own business.

It's probably just a harm-reduction measure. I mean, you're not wrong, but whenever I or somebody else have hosed up the repo somehow (usually rewriting history or deleting tags) we've definitely done so from the command-line. The problem is not the command-line of course, but ops people usually have a very specific perspective.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 26, 2021

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know how to do half the git things from a GUI. Rebasing my own commits before pushing them, using the reflog if I gently caress poo poo up real badly, that sort of stuff.

I only tend to go to the GUI for merges and commits so I have a nice overview of the diff since I don't really like CLI diff tools.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I feel like I really struggled with all the different Git GUI clients out there, they all do things a bit differently. I didn’t really like any of them until I finally but the bullet and got GitKraken I guess, but even that’s not really life changing.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The problem with all the GUI git clients is you still need to understand the underlying git model to get out of trouble. And once you understand git, you may as well use the command line.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I mean, I understand what rebasing is doing, but have never been able to successfully do it on the command line. Whereas in Sourcetree I can use their rebase function and it just works. So I understand the concept, but not the CLI implementation, but can use the GUI. I literally only use the CLI but when I need to rebase something once a year I download Sourcetree and do it.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

magit is absolutely incredible and does not hide what git is doing underneath. It is basically the git CLI made interactive.

Roll Fizzlebeef fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 26, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
When git pretty prints things or runs in interactive mode, you're using a GUI. Ops guys can get hosed, you're already doing it their way.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Combat Pretzel posted:

People are already reacting here, but I wanted to quote this to specifically ask what they're afraid of. Are you going to be doing a ton of forced pushes or something? What can really go wrong on the command line like that which cannot be fixed up?

Personally, I do a ton of Windows she and I use Git Extensions. I swing around branches like a monkey all day and I don't think I'd be able to keep that straight on the command line.

Edit: Hmmm I could imagine if I had to do a pile of remote branches from other developers that even the GUI couldn't save me, so maybe I need to think more about my relationship with the command line too.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

magit is absolutely incredible and does not hide what git is doing underneath. It is basically the git CLI made interactive.

Missing detail: Used exclusively in Emacs.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Armauk posted:

Missing detail: Used exclusively in Emacs.

it is imo good enough you could justify installing emacs just for magit and using it for nothing other than magit

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Github Desktop is a pretty good. It doesn't have all the features of git, but it's easy and fast to do the basic stuff. The real killer feature though is that it shows file deltas in the interface -- I really like that.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I use GitKraken purely because it squashes commit messages in a way I like.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Phobeste posted:

it is imo good enough you could justify installing emacs just for magit and using it for nothing other than magit

I use Emacs, and there are 100 additional reasons why one should use it ;)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

People are already reacting here, but I wanted to quote this to specifically ask what they're afraid of. Are you going to be doing a ton of forced pushes or something? What can really go wrong on the command line like that which cannot be fixed up?

Personally, I do a ton of Windows she and I use Git Extensions. I swing around branches like a monkey all day and I don't think I'd be able to keep that straight on the command line.

Edit: Hmmm I could imagine if I had to do a pile of remote branches from other developers that even the GUI couldn't save me, so maybe I need to think more about my relationship with the command line too.
I have no idea. The guy seems new to it all, too. He didn't seem to get the idea that what's enabling Git is pretty much within the filesystem. It flew over his head that setting up a local repo via command-line and then fudging around with it using VSCode is seamless.

FWIW, they're currently using something called Gerrit. Based on a bunch of phrases, it seems rather inflexible.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Armauk posted:

I use Emacs, and there are 100 additional reasons why one should use it ;)

Me too but you can't tell them that up front it'll scare them away!!

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Same.

GitExtensions always felt like a nice balance between giving you all the GUI love, but without adding tons of crap I don't want. It also has more of a traditional Windows look&feel, where SourceTree always made me want to puke.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

B-Nasty posted:

GitExtensions always felt like a nice balance between giving you all the GUI love, but without adding tons of crap I don't want. It also has more of a traditional Windows look&feel, where SourceTree always made me want to puke.
It didn't really come to its own until the 3.x series though. I am trying to use that, like, one 2.x build that runs in Mono under Linux and I can see a lot of the goofiness. A lot of stuff just doesn't work well enough with it.

Edit: I really wish there was something that worked just as well on Linux. There probably is, but it's more like 10+ options that all do their own wild subset.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have no idea. The guy seems new to it all, too. He didn't seem to get the idea that what's enabling Git is pretty much within the filesystem. It flew over his head that setting up a local repo via command-line and then fudging around with it using VSCode is seamless.

FWIW, they're currently using something called Gerrit. Based on a bunch of phrases, it seems rather inflexible.

Huh. I've seen gerrit as a code review tool in tandem with something else. I wouldn't even consider it as something like a git GUI or anything. If they're comparing that to Gitlab then yeah, they'd be pretty overwhelmed. It took me forever to get a bunch of EE's to understand the "amend the poo poo out of the code" process gerrit endorses versus Gitlab/GitHub's multiple methods for revising code under review. Even with them also including basically the same method as gerrit, the prospect of it just destroys brains. And also, it still doesn't have anything to do with the daily driving in git, so it's still bizarre they're caught up on it.

Like, did they literally see you farting around on the command line with your local instance of the repo and somehow panic over that? Do they react similar when you, like, do a bunch of crazy poo poo in an email before ultimately sending it?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The replies to this are quite amusing:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1409576956828405760

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

lifg posted:

The problem with all the GUI git clients is you still need to understand the underlying git model to get out of trouble. And once you understand git, you may as well use the command line.
Is your thesis that the point of a GUI is so people don't have to understand what they're doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Vulture Culture posted:

Is your thesis that the point of a GUI is so people don't have to understand what they're doing?

A gui is supposed to present the options available to the user in a visual manner so they don't have to remember commands. The GIT guis do this successfully. The problem is that if you don't understand what those options do or why you would use them, you won't be able to successfully use GIT - the GUIs present the options just fine, but the GUI doesn't turn a non-git user into a git user.