Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Can’t believe I have to learn this on Twitter, rather than the Matt Hancock app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
App Mancock got blocked by BoJo.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

learnincurve posted:

This does of course mean Gove will be put in charge of the NHS though.

I wouldn't say that's automatic. There's still a difficult winter coming up so he may not be wanted to take that slot if he's angling to take out Johnson and move right to PM at some point soon. Also remember the entire cabinet are idiots and psychopaths and going for a larger reshuffle now may cause some extreme infighting to kick off. Johnson may be looking to bring in some relative nobody for additional support.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Everyone's dumping their Matt Hancock kompromat now whilst he's still relevant

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1408852819680051202

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

namesake posted:

I wouldn't say that's automatic. There's still a difficult winter coming up so he may not be wanted to take that slot if he's angling to take out Johnson and move right to PM at some point soon. Also remember the entire cabinet are idiots and psychopaths and going for a larger reshuffle now may cause some extreme infighting to kick off. Johnson may be looking to bring in some relative nobody for additional support.

3:1 it's starmer

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Health would be a definite demotion for Gove, and I doubt he'll move from his current position for anything other than one of the Great Offices.

(I could be entirely wrong and he might decide that he can cash out more effectively at Health but in terms of strict precedence his current bullshit job is basically 5th in rank after the 4 Great Offices.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
According to Laura K Zahawi and The Saj are both throwing their hats into the ring

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1408857863120953353

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
That was quick, The Saj returns indeed

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1408860176594178048

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
covid will take one look at his power stance and eliminate itself from existence

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1408852539202752514

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
What's everyone's take on noisy neighbours in suburbs or new build estates? I'm in a remote part with elderly neighbours so don't really have a problem, but there are other areas in my estate that have a tendency to throw garden parties/kids parties with loud music, especially during the whole covid thing.

We have an estate facebook group which is routinely filled with people dogpiling on anyone who dares complain about it and this instantly gets my back up because i'd not be happy if it was happening right next door to me. Half of the folk in favour of the parties usually argue that it's a saturday afternoon or whatever so they should expect a bit of noise during the day (or even go as far as to jokingly ask the party throwers to crank it up so they can hear better).

Just wondering if anyone would ever bother getting the council/police involved with infrequently noisy (but belligerent) neighbours like this or just let it slide

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if it's infrequent and not late at night then I have no idea why you'd ever consider calling the loving police about it

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Julio Cruz posted:

if it's infrequent and not late at night then I have no idea why you'd ever consider calling the loving police about it

The folk that are getting dogpiled on usually have newborns or young kids going to bed early or something it seems. I've got one on the way so just putting myself hypothetically in their shoes.

edit: i also suppose there's the normalisation aspect of it from the other households on the estate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Don't be a curtain twitcher unless someone's in immediate danger or it's 3am.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Noise has to be absurdly egregious for a white suburb dweller to get in trouble for it.

Just do what the rest of us do, aggressively plant improper shrubbery at them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
They are really making GBS threads on Hancock on Sky News, didn't take long.

I'll give it until Monday before he's on some show ratting out Boris.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah sorry but they’re right, a bit of noise from a garden on a Saturday afternoon is just part of living in proximity to other people, as long as it’s not going on late or excessively loud

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Hancock going at least makes it less likely that Dido Harding will be front-and-centre to asset-strip the NHS.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
The big brain has logged on and is taking the new appointment extremely well

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1408866176323706891

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Still have a guy living opposite who plays the same 10-15 songs at around 10pm to midnight.
Most nights since lockdown started.
Just loud enough to hear it.
I don't know half of them or whose singing them, 60s/70s crooner songs.
Theres one with a trumpet intro, I swear, if I hear it elsewhere it might induce some sort rage event.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

kingturnip posted:

Hancock going at least makes it less likely that Dido Harding will be front-and-centre to asset-strip the NHS.

Is that less likely under Javid? Seems like it would be just as if not more likely.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gove is gay and is in the process of getting a divorce due to his current affair.

I don't really wanna talk about how I know this cos I don't wanna get anyone in trouble, but it's common knowledge in the Westminster bubble

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Noisy neighbours:

Borrow a huge speaker stack, borrow a handful of Napalm Death CDs (I'll rent them to you cheap ;) )
Figure out when the noisy neighbours are most likely going to bed, wait 30 mins for them to get to sleep then let rip with the bass turned right up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRUzqHTNh8

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 26, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Gove is gay and is in the process of getting a divorce due to his current affair.

I don't really wanna talk about how I know this cos I don't wanna get anyone in trouble, but it's common knowledge in the Westminster bubble

That's almost disappointingly mundane, TBH. You'd expect at least some sort of Troy McClure stuff, especially with the London Aquarium just across the river from Parliament.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It does explain the extreme islamophobia if he went down the self-doubting gay Tory rabbithole. :/

David Cameron just went down the ordinary rabbithole. To gently caress a rabbit.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Noisy neighbours:

Borrow a huge speaker stack, borrow a handful of Napalm Death CDs (I'll rent them to you cheap ;) )
Figure out when the noisy neighbours are most likely going to bed, wait 30 mins for them to get to sleep then let rip with the bass turned right up.
This is the plot to a The All-American Rejects music video.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Noisy neighbours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRUzqHTNh8

Napalm Death are a lullaby. If you want hardcore you want a band that can't even put their own name on the covers of their albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN39bvtMJ3s

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because it'd make the layout look unsymmetric? :australia:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Have there been any openly gay Tory mps? Or Labour for that matter?

I remember something about Portillo but I don't think he was out, right?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

jiggerypokery posted:

Nigel Evans?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

This is the plot to a The All-American Rejects music video.

I did not know that. I have used this technique successfully when I lived in a nurses' home about 30 years ago, with an incredibly noisy neighbour, and taught it to one of my brothers who was plagued with a noisy neighbour.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Napalm Death are a lullaby. If you want hardcore you want a band that can't even put their own name on the covers of their albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN39bvtMJ3s

Not heard of them! But they remind me of another band and I'm trying to remember who.

I did have a CD by a really satanic black metal band, I can see the cover in my head, but can't remember the band name.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 26, 2021

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

jiggerypokery posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_politicians_in_the_United_Kingdom#List_of_LGBT_members_of_the_House_of_Commons

A lot apparently. Im not checking all those sources though

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Yeah sorry but they’re right, a bit of noise from a garden on a Saturday afternoon is just part of living in proximity to other people, as long as it’s not going on late or excessively loud

Have a young baby that is incredibly difficult to put down for a nap and an incredibly light sleeper and report back after.

If you need to conduct passive aggressive warfare frying shrimp paste will produce an aroma guaranteed to drive anyone white up the wall. The smell travels further and permeates everything more thoroughly than even the most pungent curry.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jiggerypokery posted:

Portillo was outed just after he lost (to an openly gay man) in 1997.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

jiggerypokery posted:

Matthew Parris came out while he was still an MP.
From his wiki, he outed Peter Mandelson on Newsnight but Mandelson didn't admit to it I think while he was in office.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Not sure outing closeted people is cool, tbh.

Even Tories.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I just found the same list. That's a relief.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not heard of them! But they remind me of another band and I'm trying to remember who.

The greatest thing about Anal oval office is that they weren't just edgelords, they genuinely hated their fans (and the grindcore scene in general) so also released Picnic of Love, an album of acoustic love songs with titles like "I Respect Your Feelings As A Woman And A Human":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgCiW56Srd8

knowing this was much more offensive to the people who weren't in on the joke than any amount of songs with titles like "I Ate Your Horse" could ever be.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Who was the last MP to quit politics because they were gay?
Can't see any definite things on google.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Isomermaid posted:

Not sure outing closeted people is cool, tbh.

Even Tories.

Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to post that or not and I do apologise if I was wrong to do so.

It's apparently going to become public knowledge soon anyway, so I thought it wouldn't make a huge difference to let it be known in the thread a bit early. But that does still mean that it was me who did it regardless.

Gonna have to reflect on my actions, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Have a young baby that is incredibly difficult to put down for a nap and an incredibly light sleeper and report back after.

yeah, sorry, you don't get to force everyone else to adapt to your lifestyle just because you have a kid