Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Best anyone knows -A is the inspectors code. There should also be a mark that is like xxxxHxxxx inside near the neck block. First four mean nothing, everything after the H is the model number.

There used to be an excellent website for info, but it went off line a few years ago to be "improved" and never came back.

A treasure? Not this one, but they can still bring a $100 or so if it's playable. Now if it's one with the Brazilian rosewood back and sides it's a different story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

widefault posted:

Best anyone knows -A is the inspectors code. There should also be a mark that is like xxxxHxxxx inside near the neck block. First four mean nothing, everything after the H is the model number.

quote:

There used to be an excellent website for info, but it went off line a few years ago to be "improved" and never came back.

A treasure? Not this one, but they can still bring a $100 or so if it's playable. Now if it's one with the Brazilian rosewood back and sides it's a different story

Well thanks, not too bad for $5 if I decide to let it go. I've had a Harmony Stella before, didn't handle all that great but not terrible, had a decent sound for a dimestore guitar. Old beat up guitars I always want to make into lap slide guitars, I dunno. Put a nice pickup in that thing, play it with a glass slide and it should get a really nice bluesy sound with my Mouse amp.

Thanks again!

ED: My thought was to probably use floor wax or some pigmented wax on it to give it an overall patina, help minimize the appearance of all the scuffs and scratches. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to really make a career out of restoring it, I feel like that would be a decent compromise and would prolong its life a bit more.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 20, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

petit choux posted:

BTW, this is not my new guitar, but I had it in pieces for years and finally reassembled it last night:

Hohner headless crew represent.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

petit choux posted:

Well thanks, not too bad for $5 if I decide to let it go. I've had a Harmony Stella before, didn't handle all that great but not terrible, had a decent sound for a dimestore guitar. Old beat up guitars I always want to make into lap slide guitars, I dunno. Put a nice pickup in that thing, play it with a glass slide and it should get a really nice bluesy sound with my Mouse amp.

Thanks again!

ED: My thought was to probably use floor wax or some pigmented wax on it to give it an overall patina, help minimize the appearance of all the scuffs and scratches. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to really make a career out of restoring it, I feel like that would be a decent compromise and would prolong its life a bit more.

I think these were all birch like the Stellas, usually the case when there's a painted finish.

I had 7 of the near same model of Stella at one point.

Made four playable ones out of those, picked up a couple more, gave some away, and right now I think I'm back up to 6. Very strangely two of the last three I've bought are all excellent players with straight necks, solid neck joints, and flat soundboards. Guessing all the junk ones finally made it the landfills and all that's left are the good ones.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

widefault posted:

Is that one still made in USA? Look inside the sound hole for a stamp that starts with S-xx or F-xx. F is first half of year, S is second half of year, and the xx is the year it was made if still Made in USA.

And I should have a picture here of an Amazon Warehouse return Firefly FFDCD in transparent red, but when it arrived it was the FFDCS, in sunburst, and the neck was broken, so it went back to Amazon within an hour of getting it. First time I got a dud from the Warehouse.

I recently ordered a "like-new" Squier Classic Vibe P-Bass from Amazon Warehouse for $310 (normally ~$420) and an Affinity PJ (~$200) with visible damage to the electronics showed up instead. A "like new" Fender Player P-Bass in a color I like a lot showed up on Warehouse a few days later for the phenomenal price of $450, and I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on it after getting burned on the Squier. Return process was insanely easy at least.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Don't just squirt super glue under the bridge it's a hack way to fix it and will make it a nightmare if any one was to try and fix it properly in the future.

To do it right you need to get the bridge off all the way clean up the old lovely glue and re glue it with something appropriate.
Titebond is fine for this there are plenty of youtube videos about how to do it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thumposaurus posted:

Don't just squirt super glue under the bridge it's a hack way to fix it and will make it a nightmare if any one was to try and fix it properly in the future.

To do it right you need to get the bridge off all the way clean up the old lovely glue and re glue it with something appropriate.
Titebond is fine for this there are plenty of youtube videos about how to do it.

I'm sorry, I've eaten 4 cans of Sterno, working on a 5th.

Well let me ask you this then: does it look worth doing? The front and the back are both bowed outward, but I guess that's the design? Does it look salvageable in your opinion?

ED: I guess my pics don't show it v clearly. I'll put up a side view in a minute.

That's one sweet collection of Stellas there.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 20, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

Hohner headless crew represent.

Ever since I saw Daevid Allen handle one, I wanted a Steinberger, or at least a copy.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The bridge is bowing because it's becoming disconnected from the top. It should be flat against the top.
Some of them have bolts securing them to the top and when they get old enough that's the only thing keeping it attached.
If you take the bridge off and clamp it to something flat and flatten it back out it'll help.

It's not worth taking somewhere and paying somebody to fix it that would cost more than the value of the guitar. It's a good candidate for learning how to do a proper repair that if you need to do it on something more valuable in the future you have some experience.

At most it would cost the cost of the glue and some clamps that are long enough to reach in through the sound hole. Maybe something for a clamping caul but that can be any piece of wood and maybe some scrap leather or cork for padding.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thumposaurus posted:

The bridge is bowing because it's becoming disconnected from the top. It should be flat against the top.
Some of them have bolts securing them to the top and when they get old enough that's the only thing keeping it attached.
If you take the bridge off and clamp it to something flat and flatten it back out it'll help.

It's not worth taking somewhere and paying somebody to fix it that would cost more than the value of the guitar. It's a good candidate for learning how to do a proper repair that if you need to do it on something more valuable in the future you have some experience.

At most it would cost the cost of the glue and some clamps that are long enough to reach in through the sound hole. Maybe something for a clamping caul but that can be any piece of wood and maybe some scrap leather or cork for padding.

Maybe this would give a better impression. Here you go:

This is not a project I want to take on. I have too many already. And Sterno is calling.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 20, 2021

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah set it up for slide eat sterno and play it until it folds in on itself.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Another day, another cheap Amazon guitar, and this one isn't broken!

Grote solidbody Tele copy with Thinline controls/guard and a foto-flame top. Top looks way better than the one on the Grote Thinline I have.

First impression is good. Passable setup, fret ends aren't sharp but a little over beveled.

Pickups acceptable for what it is. Cheap hardware, but everything works. There was a buzz in the bridge that was a loose saddle height screw. Tuners seem okay, nut needs a little cleanup. String through bridge, but it's import style so there's no easy replacement

BUT, it was $89.99 before tax with free shipping

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

SuperiorToaster posted:

After a long time on the waiting list and a month stuck in customs limbo I finally got my Soma Laboratory Pulsar-23! :toot:

Comes in a really nice case, I got #365 from the Russian division.

All patched up and ready to go

Here's a video of the first thing I made with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOuJvpqqAFE

Fuuuuuck you. I want one of these so, so badly.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Just picked up this sucker (used, good condition with a couple nicks) off of Reverb. It is... really really nice. The neck is really interesting, it's slightly asymmetrical in a way that makes it easier to plant my thumb for classical/fingerstyle stuff. Imagined I was going to swap pickups but now I'm not sure, they're pretty nice, a little hot but with the tone rolled off the neck pickup has a great clean tone and middle position sounded great through a rotary with some reverb. Very chuffed.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mozi posted:

Just picked up this sucker (used, good condition with a couple nicks) off of Reverb. It is... really really nice. The neck is really interesting, it's slightly asymmetrical in a way that makes it easier to plant my thumb for classical/fingerstyle stuff. Imagined I was going to swap pickups but now I'm not sure, they're pretty nice, a little hot but with the tone rolled off the neck pickup has a great clean tone and middle position sounded great through a rotary with some reverb. Very chuffed.

Nice guitar/nice dog

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
He's got a nose for tone, to be sure.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
drat I've been eyeing those Godin hollowbodies for ages. Good find. My Godin had lackluster stock pickups, but I don't know about their P90s.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Does anyone have any recommendations for a sturdy bag/backpack (preferably backpack) for a pedalboard? I bought a cheap donner board which I really love, but the backpack bag it came with is a POS that's going to fail soon. . Board dimensions are 18.16" x 12.76" x 2.64.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dumb question. What does "through a rotary" mean here?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

ColdPie posted:

Could they mean a vibratone?
https://youtu.be/gCixCIneOAo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ColdPie posted:

A rotary speaker like the famous Leslie speaker from the 60s - it's a speaker that literally rotates in the cabinet to give a cool doppler effect. The Beatles used it a bunch as did David Gilmour in Pink Floyd.

George Harrison's guitar on It Don't Come Easy is a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCD0fPSsdBA

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There is the famous Leslie line of rotary speakers as mentioned, and they are just amazing to me. Another great rotating speaker effect is Fender's Vibratone speaker extension cabinet. It had a stationary speaker with a stryofoam cone that spins around it, or so I've read. Stevie Ray uses that on "Cold Shot" prominently, and I think his older brother Jimmy plays rhythm through it on the title song of "Couldn't Stand The Weather."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
I'm using a Ventilator pedal for it, not an actual speaker. But it does sound pretty close.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thought I'd show you something I got that isn't old and beat up for a change:

Now to clean up this mess so I can actually do something with it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
In a final fit of pure musicality, I swapped the bridge for a black one.

I think that's probably enough. Though, some black tuners on there...

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Black bridge looks tough, tuners are perfect.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mozi posted:

In a final fit of pure musicality, I swapped the bridge for a black one.

I think that's probably enough. Though, some black tuners on there...

I'm not generally a PRS fan but the blue body + black and gold looks really nice.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Beautiful guitar, cool customization. I say leave the gold tuners! You already have contrast on the headstock, that gold is tasty up there and works great with the rest of the guitar's look including your bridge.

SuperiorToaster
Jul 22, 2004
Inferior
Fun Shoe

Oldstench posted:

Fuuuuuck you. I want one of these so, so badly.

:devil: It's such a gloriously insane instrument, I like how all the manuals & documentation for SOMA stuff have weird psychedelic philosophical design treatments. Hope you got on the list early and get yours soon!

Here's another video with the rest of the family:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fmNI9WugRg

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the kind words folks, I was nervous to check this thread again because I was sure I'd have to endure at least some mockery. It's got chrome tuners on right now but they might look different in the light, but if that looks good then that's that. It really does play like butter - very, very musical butter - and hopefully I'll be doing so for the rest of my life.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

That paint job on the body has to be "stonewashed"

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

petit choux posted:

That paint job on the body has to be "stonewashed"

"Faded jort"

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

I just got a "like new" thing delivered from Amazon Warehouse, and I just know this is going to be fun seeing two separate return labels on the box. Nothing says "like new" quite like two separate people returning it previously!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Almost not used!

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

the thing so nice they returned it twice

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Like the Crave I returned unopened.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

kidfresca posted:

I just got a "like new" thing delivered from Amazon Warehouse, and I just know this is going to be fun seeing two separate return labels on the box. Nothing says "like new" quite like two separate people returning it previously!

It was actually in like new condition!

The modulation section here is the big winner. It buries my EHX Mod 11 on phasers and flangers. The only thing the Mod 11 seems to do better is Tri-Chorus.

The reverb section doesn't seem to anything better than my Oceans 11, but is otherwise decent. Most of the drive section is forgettable, but there is some stuff in there I would use, and having access to multiple compressor models is nice since it's not like anyone makes a standalone compressor multi-pedal. The filter section is all bonus content that I did not previously have access to among my pedals, but it'll take time to figure out what is usable. I don't have a strong opinion on the delays yet, but everyone says they're good. The looper is very nice in that all of the switches have a dedicated looper function, so there's immediate access to everything.

The only real downside is that it's big, heavy, and seems, at least right now, like it might be more than I need. It'll sit atop the desk until I find tune everything to taste, and then probably needs to be on the floor for space/functionality reasons.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

kidfresca posted:

It was actually in like new condition!

Hah, better buy a lottery ticket, then! :D Good to hear you got lucky on it, either way - definitely good news

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I may have found one of the ultimate pieces of 80s cheese. I feel like only Wesley Crusher should be allowed to handle this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

petit choux posted:

I may have found one of the ultimate pieces of 80s cheese. I feel like only Wesley Crusher should be allowed to handle this thing.

I was about to say 100 voices+duel mode = over 5000 voices! But the keyboard beat me to it :v: