Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The greatest thing about Anal oval office is that they weren't just edgelords, they genuinely hated their fans (and the grindcore scene in general) so also released Picnic of Love, an album of acoustic love songs with titles like "I Respect Your Feelings As A Woman And A Human":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgCiW56Srd8

knowing this was much more offensive to the people who weren't in on the joke than any amount of songs with titles like "I Ate Your Horse" could ever be.

That has such a late 60s/early 70s vibe about it. (I skipped through it).

Page snipe: well this is boring.

94 is 49 backwards. It could be said that '49' is a back-mask of 94. So in keeping with the black metal theme here:

In 1969, rumors of a backmasked message in the Beatles song "Revolution 9" sparked the Paul is dead urban legend.[2] In the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, Christian groups in the United States alleged that backmasking was being used by prominent rock musicians for Satanic purposes, leading to record-burning protests and proposed anti-backmasking legislation by state and federal governments.[3]

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Isomermaid posted:

Not sure outing closeted people is cool, tbh.

Even Tories.

Probably not. It is loving depressing that any of these people feel professional pressure at all to stay in at all though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Isomermaid posted:

Not sure outing closeted people is cool, tbh.

Even Tories.

While I generally agree (and much as I'd love to see Gove tarred and feathered, it definitely shouldn't be for that) I think the problem gets a lot more complex when you're talking about 80s/90s Tories, who were *extremely* homophobic (Section 28 is only the tip of the iceberg) and of course still very much in the Victorian Guardians Of The Family groove.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Z the IVth posted:

Have a young baby that is incredibly difficult to put down for a nap and an incredibly light sleeper and report back after.

I have a kid on the way and I'm fully expecting to just put up with it :shrug:

If I want complete silence in the afternoon I'll just have to fork out for sound proofing, rather than insist everyone around me forgos afternoon weekend parties lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like outing people who spend their professional lives actively working to make life difficult for gay people is more like self defence?

Like what's the alternative? If they don't want to live in an environment where that's a problem for them maybe they should be better people? I don't think any suffering they come to because of it is unwarranted and if it in any way obstructs their ability to pursue their lovely agenda on the rest of us because they spent their lives fostering an organization where being openly gay is looked down on, that's literally their own fault? They like that, they want that, they can't cry because they were subjecting to the policies they want everyone else to have to endure?

I don't think that is comparable to people who haven't done anything wrong being made to suffer for it? I can entirely agree that just regular people should be supported whatever their decision is but that relies on some thinking that just... doesn't apply to tories or fascists or anyone else of that ilk. I don't think being principled about it is going to stop them from doing everything they can to attack us either and I also don't see a way where it somehow makes the world generally less homophobic.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

so much for the tolerant left

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

While I generally agree (and much as I'd love to see Gove tarred and feathered, it definitely shouldn't be for that) I think the problem gets a lot more complex when you're talking about 80s/90s Tories, who were *extremely* homophobic (Section 28 is only the tip of the iceberg) and of course still very much in the Victorian Guardians Of The Family groove.

Gove’s 53 which makes him a young Tory as section 28 was in full swing, most of the other tories mentioned were old enough to be “one rule for them one rule for me” tories during that time. Poor bastard.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I have a kid on the way and I'm fully expecting to just put up with it :shrug:

If I want complete silence in the afternoon I'll just have to fork out for sound proofing, rather than insist everyone around me forgos afternoon weekend parties lol

There is a distinction between having the occasional party, which is perfectly reasonable, and doing so every day which was the OP's implication.

You can easily see who does/doesn't have an actual child in the thread from the responses. You'll think "it's fine, I can put up with it" before/at first. After six months of sleep deprivation you/your partner will be ready to murder anyone that wakes your kid up.

Good luck with the kid. If your neighbors are noisy cunts install the soundproofing first. And air conditioning as well since all the triple glazing in the world isn't going to help in the middle of climate change heatwaves. You can also pray hard you get a good sleeper.

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah, sorry, you don't get to force everyone else to adapt to your lifestyle just because you have a kid

Have a kid and then report back, because you clearly have no idea.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
You could also, y'know, just have a word with your neighbours, explain the situation and try to come up with some kind of compromise.

There is a middle ground between ALL THE PARTIES ALL THE TIME and setting the pigs on them.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Z the IVth posted:

Have a young baby that is incredibly difficult to put down for a nap and an incredibly light sleeper and report back after.

If you need to conduct passive aggressive warfare frying shrimp paste will produce an aroma guaranteed to drive anyone white up the wall. The smell travels further and permeates everything more thoroughly than even the most pungent curry.

Yeah the whole baby thing was my thinking for why folk should maybe be a bit considerate. The folks that are are egging them on to make it louder seem to be folk on the estate wither without kids or with older ones. It's one of those things where they'd probably have been annoyed by the noise a few years earlier but it doesn't affect them now so they don't care.

I mean i dunno how loud is too loud, but some of the parties have had music/life DJ's/musicians that i could hear a few streets away. At one point i thought it was someone was streaming the music to two separate houses as i could hear it both in front and behind mine with a slight delay. Turns out it was just some weird echo effect it was generating that you could hear it across the whole estate.

The one that was on this afternoon, my partner said she could hear it over the music she was listening to on her headphones when she was out for a walk nearby.

Like i said, it doesn't really impact me directly, but when i see folk on the facebook group basically being told to shut up and get hosed (even if it is impacting them), i kinda want to support them but not get put on the shitlist for having what seems like a reasonable "maybe be a bit considerate" point of view.

edit: The latest from my neighbourhood is a bunch of people celebrating they got one of the people right next to the party to apologise for having an issue with it. That that just seems hosed up to me.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 26, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like outing people who spend their professional lives actively working to make life difficult for gay people is more like self defence?
Also a lot of those closeted reactionary types are very unpleasant people in their private relationships, for obvious reasons, so often the people outing them are former partners doing so for literal self defense reasons.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Kin posted:

Yeah the whole baby thing was my thinking for why folk should maybe be a bit considerate. The folks that are are egging them on to make it louder seem to be folk on the estate wither without kids or with older ones. It's one of those things where they'd probably have been annoyed by the noise a few years earlier but it doesn't affect them now so they don't care.

I mean i dunno how loud is too loud, but some of the parties have had music/life DJ's/musicians that i could hear a few streets away. At one point i thought it was someone was streaming the music to two separate houses as i could hear it both in front and behind mine with a slight delay. Turns out it was just some weird echo effect it was generating that you could hear it across the whole estate.

The one that was on this afternoon, my partner said she could hear it over the music she was listening to on her headphones when she was out for a walk nearby.

Like i said, it doesn't really impact me directly, but when i see folk on the facebook group basically being told to shut up and get hosed (even if it is impacting them), i kinda want to support them but not get put on the shitlist for having what seems like a reasonable "maybe be a bit considerate" point of view.

I too live on a council estate, it will settle down once the clubs and pubs open back up properly. People have been locked inside for a long long time and are blowing off steam.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

You could also, y'know, just have a word with your neighbours, explain the situation and try to come up with some kind of compromise.

There is a middle ground between ALL THE PARTIES ALL THE TIME and setting the pigs on them.

Sounds like OP ^^^'s lot have tried and got shouted down. Obviously we don't know the full story but it does sound incredibly obnoxious and closer to ALL PARTIES ALL THE TIME than someone blowing up about a random birthday party.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

jiggerypokery posted:

Have there been any openly gay Tory mps? Or Labour for that matter?

Lloyd Russell Moyle (Labour) is both openly gay and the first second openly HIV+ MP.

edit: second, the first was Chris Smith, who apparently was also the first openly gay MP.

blunt fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 26, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

There is a distinction between having the occasional party, which is perfectly reasonable, and doing so every day which was the OP's implication.

......no?

Kin posted:

Just wondering if anyone would ever bother getting the council/police involved with infrequently noisy (but belligerent) neighbours like this or just let it slide

keep trying to force everyone to live how you think they should live, though, that's not a Tory thing to do at all

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

learnincurve posted:

I too live on a council estate, it will settle down once the clubs and pubs open back up properly. People have been locked inside for a long long time and are blowing off steam.

lmao what are you talking about, people have been acting like cunts all through lockdown. Don't give them excuses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like, I want a world where being outed just isn't a threat. I would like to think I have tried politically to achieve that as best I can, and in some situations, environments, and places, it isn't very much of a threat and might even help you find friends and allies to be out, because I think decent people will be at least indifferent and also it can form the basis of political cooperation for a lot of people, people can understand common troubles because of it.

So if he wants to spend his time in a place, among people, and to create a world where it is a threat, and spends his life trying to make it more of a threat, I just don't feel bad about it biting him in the rear end? They have the opportunity to find people who will support them if they are willing to support other LGBT people back, but they aren't, they want a world where they can do whatever they like and also have people shot for doing half the things they do freely, an authority they want to wield through the guise of a pious public persona.

I just don't see many more effective weapons against their politics, honestly. The rest of us want a world where we can live openly and freely, while they want a world where they can live secretly and the rest of us can't live at all.

It might be tempting to think that because we are all LGBT we all have common cause, but we don't, because how you want people like you to exist in the world overrides the identity, and like right wingers generally, right wing LGBT people want the privilege of existing freely to be confined to them and their immediately favoured ilk. And so I don't think we have any more common cause with them than we do on any other political issue. It is privilege vs common good before anything else.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 26, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can't believe Matt Hancock's been banned from the house of commons by Keir Starmer's wife.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to post that or not and I do apologise if I was wrong to do so.

It's apparently going to become public knowledge soon anyway, so I thought it wouldn't make a huge difference to let it be known in the thread a bit early. But that does still mean that it was me who did it regardless.

Gonna have to reflect on my actions, I think

To be honest I feel it was more Diane Abbott's fault for stirring the pot and you just told us what was in the pot, which is probably better than speculation.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

You can easily see who does/doesn't have an actual child in the thread from the responses. You'll think "it's fine, I can put up with it" before/at first. After six months of sleep deprivation you/your partner will be ready to murder anyone that wakes your kid up.

Yeah this is pretty much spot on. Come a few months into having a little one and the sleep deprivation really kicks in, it's loving awful. And then to have inconsiderate neighbours who chose to party in their garden all day every day just adds to that stress

the amount of times over the summer where I've finally managed to get the little one to sleep, only to be awoken by loud neighbours is infuriating. And the only thing I can really do is close the window which drowns it out a little bit... but then leave the room dangerously warm

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

OwlFancier posted:

they want a world where they can live secretly and the rest of us can't live at all.

UKMT Summer 2021:...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

a pipe smoking dog posted:

To be honest I feel it was more Diane Abbott's fault for stirring the pot and you just told us what was in the pot, which is probably better than speculation.

Yeah I guess. Just wanna make clear that if I did a wrong there then I'm aware and I'm open to criticism

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I went and visited some earthworks that were part of an archaeological dig today, and it made me think, we've got earthworks, waterworks, fireworks, why don't we call HVAC airworks. Like way to poo poo on Empedocles.

(I'm also thinking about HVAC today :sun:)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Z the IVth posted:

Sounds like OP ^^^'s lot have tried and got shouted down. Obviously we don't know the full story but it does sound incredibly obnoxious and closer to ALL PARTIES ALL THE TIME than someone blowing up about a random birthday party.

Yeah, it's more that there's a trend of folk having louder parties and being generally inconsiderate to neighbours. Like i mentioned, it doesn't really impact me at all and most of the time i only really know there's drama brewing on the estate from the facebook group.

It's just more the attitude that rubs me up the wrong way because i can empathise with someone stuck next to one of these parties having a particularly tough time. The moment anyone seems "anti-fun" though, they just get attacked on the facebook group.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Fear not, there's a Starmer policy to deal with anti-social behavior coming soon to a government near you

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Friday or Saturday nights are fair game, I think. Sucks if you work weekends and/or nights, but if that's a long-term thing I think you acclimatise, given time. Or get sound-proofing.

I'm not really one to judge, mind you. I sleep terribly at the best of times, so it takes next-to-nothing to wake me up.

Fun - if slightly disgusting story - I woke up this morning to a larynx full of stomach acid (hurrah for reflux) and just about managed to get to my sink to spit out what was in my mouth, let what was in my nose drip uncomfortably out my nostrils and swallow (truly delightful) the rest before I needed to take a breath. I am at least glad I managed to suppress my usual wake-up instinct of "breath deep" this time.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Key their cars until they learn.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Have a kid and then report back, because you clearly have no idea.
I've had two, both easy and difficult as far as sleeping goes, and you shouldn't assume parents will automatically agree with you. Part of life is dealing with other people, and an infrequent afternoon party is a rounding error on the list of things that are worth caring about. Sounds more to me like that Facebook group is more trouble than it's worth. Maybe get rid of that?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

......no?

keep trying to force everyone to live how you think they should live, though, that's not a Tory thing to do at all

Let's be utterly inconsiderate to one's neighbours. Totally good and leftist opinion to have. Some people have kids and will have different needs and telling them to gently caress off and suck it up is exactly what a Tory would say.

This is especially since it's clear that people appear to have brought up the issue in a civil fashion and the only response has been outright hostility. You don't need loving house parties every week. Babies need their sleep!

And not everyone has the benefit of living in a detached house in the middle of nowhere or be able afford extra soundproofing.

Albinator posted:

I've had two, both easy and difficult as far as sleeping goes, and you shouldn't assume parents will automatically agree with you. Part of life is dealing with other people, and an infrequent afternoon party is a rounding error on the list of things that are worth caring about. Sounds more to me like that Facebook group is more trouble than it's worth. Maybe get rid of that?

My point being dealing with a kid is a lived experience and not really something you can "imagine". You can tell from how certain goons have responded that they have no loving idea.

The odd afternoon party is fine, but if you have party music on every weekend you can be sure I'll get shirty if it's disturbing the kid. I sleep like the dead so I don't personally care, but the wife and baby will make it my problem.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 26, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Let's be utterly inconsiderate to one's neighbours. Totally good and leftist opinion to have. Some people have kids and will have different needs and telling them to gently caress off and suck it up is exactly what a Tory would say.

This is especially since it's clear that people appear to have brought up the issue in a civil fashion and the only response has been outright hostility. You don't need loving house parties every week. Babies need their sleep!

And not everyone has the benefit of living in a detached house in the middle of nowhere or be able afford extra soundproofing.

I still have no idea where you're getting the idea of weekly house parties, since it's clearly not what the OP was talking about

and I must have missed the part where ASBOs were a leftist policy, maybe you should do a bit of reading up on New Labour

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

I still have no idea where you're getting the idea of weekly house parties, since it's clearly not what the OP was talking about

and I must have missed the part where ASBOs were a leftist policy, maybe you should do a bit of reading up on New Labour

not sure where 'suffer in silence because you don't want to make a fuss' became a leftist position tbh

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

not sure where 'suffer in silence because you don't want to make a fuss' became a leftist position tbh

protest the things that are worth protesting

someone playing a few tunes in their garden on a Saturday afternoon isn't that

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

I have no idea where you're getting the idea that I was advocating for ASBOs against house parties.

OP said there were people on his estate having obnoxiously loud house parties. When the issue was brought up by parents with young children, they were shouted down by the party people. In your world these people should be allowed to do as they like regardless of the impact on their neighbors?

Julio Cruz posted:

protest the things that are worth protesting

someone playing a few tunes in their garden on a Saturday afternoon isn't that

Live music and DJs audible across the entire estate sounds a bit more than "a few tunes in the garden".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

I have no idea where you're getting the idea that I was advocating for ASBOs against house parties.

OP said there were people on his estate having obnoxiously loud house parties. When the issue was brought up by parents with young children, they were shouted down by the party people. In your world these people should be allowed to do as they like regardless of the impact on their neighbors?

Live music and DJs audible across the entire estate sounds a bit more than "a few tunes in the garden".

the key word in the OP, which you have continually pretended not to notice, is "infrequently"

if someone is having infrequent parties, which I guess would be at most twice a month, then yeah I can't see any reason why they shouldn't do so as long as they don't go on late into the night (which OP hasn't mentioned they do)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

the key word in the OP, which you have continually pretended not to notice, is "infrequently"

if someone is having infrequent parties, which I guess would be at most twice a month, then yeah I can't see any reason why they shouldn't do so as long as they don't go on late into the night (which OP hasn't mentioned they do)

It's clearly frequent enough if people are complaining about it.

Any one individual could be having parties at most twice a month, but if there are 10 such individuals on an estate and the typical party is highly audible, then it would definitely constitute an issue.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I live in a council house on a council estate and my neighbours smoke so much weed it’s sticking to my curtains

and I’m not calling the police or the council, not only would that be bad and wrong, it would get my loving windows put in.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Any one individual could be having parties at most twice a month, but if there are 10 such individuals on an estate and the typical party is highly audible, then it would definitely constitute an issue.

yeah I’m sure 5 parties every weekend is definitely what the OP meant when they said “infrequently” :rolleyes:

and lol at the idea that there aren’t people in every estate who would still complain if it was literally one party a year

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I live in a council house on a council estate and my neighbours smoke so much weed it’s sticking to my curtains

and I’m not calling the police or the council, not only would that be bad and wrong, it would get my loving windows put in.

It shouldn't make a difference but it's a new build estate mostly filled with young families and old folk.

There's only the one house that openly smells of weed and they're the only couple that scream at each other on the street.

The loud music audible across the estate stands out, I think, because we're a new build on the edge of a small village. So the norm is usually just the sound of nature, passing cars or kids running about.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I KNOW WHO YOUR DAD IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Z the IVth posted:

I complained about it when one neighbour had a late night karaoke session in their garden, the idea you need lots of people doing it before turning into a curmudgeon is silly.

(When I say complain I mean mutter under my breath, not phone the polis, I'm a miserable killjoy, not a bastard)