Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

tumblr hype man posted:

You can also buy real estate via an IRA. Just can’t live in it or rent it to yourself, but if you wanna be a landlord it’s fine to own the property via IRA.

I don’t know why you’d want to put it in an IRA considering the $500k exclusion on real estate gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Somewhere some rich failson is buying a house from his grandparents for $6k with a Roth IRA contribution

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

jokes posted:

I don’t know why you’d want to put it in an IRA considering the $500k exclusion on real estate gains.

That's only a primary residence and only if you're married though (if you're single its $250K). If you bought an 8 unit apartment building via IRA you can shield it from cap gains tax on the sale, although you'd still pay real estate excise taxes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They could also just like cap the max size an IRA is allowed to be and all additional money gets taxed, or just cap how rich you can be and still get to take advantage of tax-advantaged retirement accounts, because the whole purpose of the tax advantages was just to encourage people to save so they wouldn't become dependents of the state in their old age and if you have i dunno let's say, ten million bucks in your ira i think you're probably gonna be able to avoid eating cat food when you're 70

but hell that's absurd thinking that rich people don't need tax breaks lol

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
How do I get a house into my Roth IRA?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

literally this big posted:

get someone to sell you a house for less than the current value of your Roth IRA or $6000?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

big door

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pokeyman posted:

You totally can, but keep in mind that it's exactly the same (modulo costs and taxes) as selling after capital appreciation. There's not usually a reason to prefer (reinvesting) dividends over an equivalently growing investment. You don't need dividends, growth of all kinds will do.

There's a couple Common Sense Investing videos about dividends that I remember being decent, including this one https://youtu.be/f5j9v9dfinQ

I can see dividend funds (e.g. SCHD, VYM, whatever) being more attractive to retired people who need steady income and want to avoid some sequence-of-returns risk on their principal. For example, if they had bills due last March, it would've sucked to had to have sold stocks at the low to pay the bills. While many companies did cut or suspend dividends last year, dividend funds managed to soften that blow and a retiree would've been able to keep paying the bills. From SCHD's homepage:
https://www.schwabassetmanagement.com/products/schd

Distributions
Ex-Date Record Date Payable Date Income Short Term Capital Gain Long Term Capital Gain Return of Capital Total Distribution
06/23/2021 06/24/2021 06/28/2021 0.5396 0.0000 0.0000 -- 0.539600000
03/24/2021 03/25/2021 03/29/2021 0.5026 0.0000 0.0000 -- 0.502600000
12/10/2020 12/11/2020 12/15/2020 0.6015 0.0000 0.0000 -- 0.601500000
09/23/2020 09/24/2020 09/28/2020 0.5430 0.0000 0.0000 -- 0.543000000
06/24/2020 06/25/2020 06/29/2020 0.4420 0.0000 0.0000 -- 0.442000000
03/25/2020 03/26/2020 03/30/2020 0.4419 0.0000 0.0000 -- 0.441900000
12/12/2019 12/13/2019 12/17/2019 0.4658 -- -- -- 0.465800000

Didn't drop that much in the march/july distributions, really!

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

You roll over your current IRA into a self directed IRA that would allow real estate purchases. From there you find a suitable property and pay for it with that cash. If you don’t have enough cash you can get a loan. Although it won’t be a traditional home mortgage (conventional or a GSE backed loan). You’ll probably need closer to 50% down in order to get it through a commercial lending group because you can’t personally guarantee the debt.

If you’ve done either of those things, congrats, you own real estate in your IRA.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

CubicalSucrose posted:

I did this recently since I had been looking at buying a consult with a real person to pressure-test some of my plans anyway. First call was like 40 minutes where they got an overview of my assets, liabilities, expenses, cash flow, goals, current investments and preferences. I came away feeling pretty good.

The next call a few days later was their pitch. There was a slide with my goals but absolutely no connection between their method and why they think that will/won't hit my goals. They hilariously have a strategy that is essentially "equal-sector-weighting using individual stocks," then using ETFs for all the other stuff (bonds, REITs, and others). At no point did they ever say how or how much they got paid. There were lots and lots of red flags and while I don't think their approach is necessarily a terrible way to go, I don't think it is any better on a risk-adjusted basis than boring index funds, even if it cost nothing.

This scared me enough that I didn't end up opening a cash account with them to get the bonus, if they were even going to still pay it out.

Had my two meetings. It was the exact same as yours - the advisor/sales guy had a slide that broke out all the Morningstar squares and where my stocks live within them, along with percentages I hold in the ten major economic sectors. He made a lot of emphasis on how all the funds I hold might have a lot of the same stocks, and that I was pretty heavy into technology. The theme around that was "these fund managers don't work with you - but we do!", spiced in with "you say that you want to diversify using index funds and ETFs, but it's actually not diversifying at all!!!"

Here's where I'm at, which was the first time I've actually seen all this laid out.

And here's what they want to do via Smart Weighting, whatever the heck that is. Made a big deal that I wasn't exposed enough to alternative investments. I've held off on real estate/REITs mostly because sticking to the plan has meant just that, keeping it at the funds I've got and not futzing.

Here's the real kicker: they ran data that says if you were Smart Weighted through the tech bubble (which they put as 1999-2004, completely setting aside the post-9/11 economic weirdness) and the 2008 financial crisis, you would have outperformed the S&P 500 by 11% and 14% respectively. This smacks to me of trying to impart FOMO.

As to costs, he did mention the 0.89% fee for AUM. He pointed out tax ratios and how they could totally save me on those, etc. I can probably dive really more into it if people want to.

They want you to link accounts for them to manage, I might just link my savings account, collect my $200, and move on. I'm about 20% willing to let them manage maybe $20k-$30k for the four free months to see what happens, but it is very much a Sales Pitch. They do not want you to be a Boglehead, they want your money for their Smart Weighting roboadvisor.

Glad I did it during work hours and didn't sacrifice my own free time to do it.

Happy to answer questions if people wanna go into the $200 deal informed of what they try to go under. Also the advisor guy looks like Kenneth from 30 Rock, which I can't get over.

Pollyanna posted:

I would be so much worse off if I hadn’t joined SA.

Big same. I was feeling a bit put off by the financial advisor my parents recommended after he got my grandparents out of a predatorily sold annuity. He had me in a sorta scattershot setup of socially-responsible mutual funds and some other single stocks. I forget the exact details now that Google Finance sucks, which is where my records were. Then I found this thread, saw that expense ratios were a thing, and realized how much he was getting off of me. Read the pamphlet version of Four Pillars, went Boglehead, and have done well enough solo. I've saved a lot and earned a lot thanks to this thread, let alone all the knowledge and stuff that came from goon communication.

MJP fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 25, 2021

Chiasmus
May 17, 2008

MJP posted:

Here's the real kicker: they ran data that says if you were Smart Weighted through the tech bubble (which they put as 1999-2004, completely setting aside the post-9/11 economic weirdness) and the 2008 financial crisis, you would have outperformed the S&P 500 by 11% and 14% respectively. This smacks to me of trying to impart FOMO.

This is Personal Capital from Empower, right? That company was founded in 2009. Pretty easy to predict the past. What kills me is that they will tell you this with a straight face all while saying "past performance does not indicate future results".

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

tumblr hype man posted:

If you’ve done either of those things, congrats, you own real estate in your IRA.
Don't forget to hire an IRS-approved custodian to hold the documents, an accountant to record the IRA's earnings and file Form 5498 each year, and a lawyer to review everything so that the IRA doesn't get disqualified.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 25, 2021

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Tldr, just buy REITs

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This question is premature, but I'm wondering now anyway. In 2022, I will be making 130k salary + bonuses, and I dont know what to do about my Roth IRA. The amount of the bonus is indeterminate until it's actually awarded, and even on top of that, there's figuring out my MAGI to determine if I'm somewhere in the income limit phase down.

What is the smart and lazy way of contributing to an IRA - backdoor or not - when one's income is right around the limit? Is it just waiting until the following year (for pay stub sums and/or tax prep) and then contributing for the prior year?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Happiness Commando posted:

This question is premature, but I'm wondering now anyway. In 2022, I will be making 130k salary + bonuses, and I dont know what to do about my Roth IRA. The amount of the bonus is indeterminate until it's actually awarded, and even on top of that, there's figuring out my MAGI to determine if I'm somewhere in the income limit phase down.

What is the smart and lazy way of contributing to an IRA - backdoor or not - when one's income is right around the limit? Is it just waiting until the following year (for pay stub sums and/or tax prep) and then contributing for the prior year?

Just backdoor regardless if you’re close to the phase out, there’s no downside other than a little extra time and tax hassle and you won’t risk overcontributing.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I just wait until Jan-Feb 2023 when i know my 2022 MAGI.

Edit: I forget about backdoor Roth contributions because I have this comically large rollover IRA. The above post is the way to go.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 26, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Eldred posted:

Just backdoor regardless if you’re close to the phase out, there’s no downside other than a little extra time and tax hassle and you won’t risk overcontributing.

This is the way. Ideally you start doing this early, before you get to the limit. Otherwise you have to figure out how to recharacterize contributions/etc. Not a huge deal either way, just one of those things you do once and never again.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Dumb question. If I choose to automatically reinvest dividends for ETFs in my taxable account, will it avoid creating a taxable event on them? Which is the better option?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Valicious posted:

Dumb question. If I choose to automatically reinvest dividends for ETFs in my taxable account, will it avoid creating a taxable event on them? Which is the better option?

In a taxable account, the issuing of dividends is the taxable event. It makes no difference what you do with it after that, whether it is reinvested or taken as cash.

For long term buy and hold it's usually best to reinvest them.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Valicious posted:

Auto reinvest has annoying wash sale implications for tax loss harvesting if you plan to do that, so I turned it off for that reason, but it seems similarly annoying to have to manually reinvest. :shrug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Valicious posted:

Yeah you pay taxes on that. But if it helps, reinvesting dividends (slightly) increases your average cost basis so that’s cool. If the stock is going up at least.

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

Equally dumb question: If I choose to automatically reinvest dividends for ETFs in my nontaxable account, is it economically equivalent to the ETF performing a buyback (or the individual ETF components performing buybacks)?

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

nightbae smokewheat posted:

Equally dumb question: If I choose to automatically reinvest dividends for ETFs in my nontaxable account, is it economically equivalent to the ETF performing a buyback (or the individual ETF components performing buybacks)?

The only practical difference between a buyback and a dividend is in how taxation works, so yes in that example they're economically equivalent.

This is not a dumb question as it seems like very few people acknowledge this fact.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
General advice question: I make 158k USD base salary plus quarterly bonuses (usually no more than a couple k). I live in NJ which is a high tax state. I am currently contributing 12% to my company 401k with a 4% match. This roughly works out to the $19.5k limit for individuals. I have 90k in my money market account which I consider the “I lost my job and need to live on ramen” fund. Depending on the month I can save maybe $1000-1500. Recently I’ve been tapering off my money market saving and instead putting most of that into a taxable E*TRADE account buying shares of mostly VOO and SPY to track the s&p 500. My company’s 401k advisor was saying I should consider splitting some of the 12% into a Roth IRA which seems reasonable but my wife also makes 100k+ so I think it makes more sense for the 401k given that it will reduce my taxable income for the year. As an example last year we would have owed 7k in taxes but I bought an electric car for the 7500 tax credit which made it a wash. I’ve since updated my dependents so hopefully I shouldn’t get as big of a tax hit next year. My basic question is, am I doing anything incredibly stupid? Does the taxable account with the s&p500 etfs make sense in my case? Are there any other avenues I should be exploring?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

nightbae smokewheat posted:

Yeah, most people prefer buybacks over dividends because dividends are considered forced taxable events but otherwise they’re the same. Company cash going directly into shareholders’ hands, but stock buybacks make that money be in the form of share value instead of cash.

For taxable accounts: on a deeper level rich people prefer buybacks because they like to pick and choose when to pay taxes to minimize their tax bill, whereas dividends don’t give you that flexibility. But for people who like and want cash, dividends are preferable. Rich people do not like cash.

In an IRA they’re functionally identical if you reinvest dividends.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

SnatchRabbit posted:

Are there any other avenues I should be exploring?

you probably want this flowchart:

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/ecn2hk/fire_flow_chart_version_42/

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Thanks, I to the end of that and I think I’m mostly doing it by the book. I don’t have any student or cc debt, and I have a 529 for my son. It sounds like I don’t have too many options besides the the 401k and a back door Roth? I’m not quite certain what that means but it I’m pretty sure that my wife and I make too much money for ira contributions to make sense. I guess the only other option is to throw more money at the principle on my mortgage every month.

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

Eyes Only posted:

The only practical difference between a buyback and a dividend is in how taxation works, so yes in that example they're economically equivalent.

This is not a dumb question as it seems like very few people acknowledge this fact.

jokes posted:

Yeah, most people prefer buybacks over dividends because dividends are considered forced taxable events but otherwise they’re the same. Company cash going directly into shareholders’ hands, but stock buybacks make that money be in the form of share value instead of cash.

For taxable accounts: on a deeper level rich people prefer buybacks because they like to pick and choose when to pay taxes to minimize their tax bill, whereas dividends don’t give you that flexibility. But for people who like and want cash, dividends are preferable. Rich people do not like cash.

In an IRA they’re functionally identical if you reinvest dividends.

:tipshat:

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

SnatchRabbit posted:

I am currently contributing 12% to my company 401k with a 4% match. This roughly works out to the $19.5k limit for individuals.

Your wording is a little ambiguous. To be clear, the company match doesn't count toward the 19.5k limit.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

OGDanDogg posted:

Your wording is a little ambiguous. To be clear, the company match doesn't count toward the 19.5k limit.
I thought so too. But 12% of their salary plus a couple of bonuses probably does get them to the limit.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

OGDanDogg posted:

Right sorry. By so my math 12% of 158k is around 19k. Which is pretty much where I want to be yeah? The 4% match is just a bonus?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

Right sorry. By so my math 12% of 158k is around 19k. Which is pretty much where I want to be yeah? The 4% match is just a bonus?
Correct. There’s probably no harm in going to 13% because your company should stop contributions once you hit the max, just to be safe.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SnatchRabbit posted:

General advice question: I make 158k USD base salary plus quarterly bonuses (usually no more than a couple k). I live in NJ which is a high tax state. I am currently contributing 12% to my company 401k with a 4% match. This roughly works out to the $19.5k limit for individuals. I have 90k in my money market account which I consider the “I lost my job and need to live on ramen” fund. Depending on the month I can save maybe $1000-1500. Recently I’ve been tapering off my money market saving and instead putting most of that into a taxable E*TRADE account buying shares of mostly VOO and SPY to track the s&p 500. My company’s 401k advisor was saying I should consider splitting some of the 12% into a Roth IRA which seems reasonable but my wife also makes 100k+ so I think it makes more sense for the 401k given that it will reduce my taxable income for the year. As an example last year we would have owed 7k in taxes but I bought an electric car for the 7500 tax credit which made it a wash. I’ve since updated my dependents so hopefully I shouldn’t get as big of a tax hit next year. My basic question is, am I doing anything incredibly stupid? Does the taxable account with the s&p500 etfs make sense in my case? Are there any other avenues I should be exploring?

So, first of all, it makes sense to move the monthly emergency-fund contributions to other savings, now that you're well established there. It'd be a good idea to make sure it's sitting somewhere FDIC insured - if it's a money market account through a bank, it probably is, and if it's a money market account through a mutual fund company like Vanguard or Fidelity, it probably isn't. Either way, though, double-check that.

Generally speaking, don't go for taxable accounts if you've got a tax-advantaged place to stash the same money. If the money you're putting into Etrade is earmarked for retirement, and you've already maxed out your 401k, then those taxable contributions should definitely go into a Roth IRA instead.

SnatchRabbit posted:

Thanks, I to the end of that and I think I’m mostly doing it by the book. I don’t have any student or cc debt, and I have a 529 for my son. It sounds like I don’t have too many options besides the the 401k and a back door Roth? I’m not quite certain what that means but it I’m pretty sure that my wife and I make too much money for ira contributions to make sense. I guess the only other option is to throw more money at the principle on my mortgage every month.

IRA contributions make sense at any income level where you can spare the cash in the first place.

The backdoor Roth is a simple loophole, which was probably unintended in the legislation, but is perfectly legal. You can only directly contribute to a Roth IRA if your MAGI is under $125k as a single filer or $198k MFJ (there are some rapid phase-outs slightly over these numbers, but we want to max that sucker). You can contribute to a traditional IRA with any income, but it's only tax deductible if your MAGI is under $66k single or $105k married filing jointly. And, you can convert from a traditional to a Roth IRA at any time, as long as you pay tax on any money that hasn't already been taxed.

So, to do the backdoor strategy, you put money into a traditional IRA - no MAGI limit on that contribution. Then, you immediately convert it. Same deal, no limit to worry about. Since you're over the limit, you never took the tax deduction; the money's already been taxed, just like it would be with an ordinary Roth IRA contribution. If you had any gains sitting around, you'd have to pay taxes on them, but since you converted immediately you don't have to worry about that either. The end result is that you have a perfectly legal, maxed-out Roth IRA contribution regardless of your income.

If you have any traditional IRA balances kicking around, this gets a whole lot more difficult, because you can't pick and choose which contributions get converted for tax purposes. But, if you're trad-IRA-free, or if you can just throw money at converting the whole thing before you start the backdoor strategy, then it's a very nice way to carve out some additional tax-advantaged space.

e:

dexter6 posted:

Correct. There’s probably no harm in going to 13% because your company should stop contributions once you hit the max, just to be safe.

Careful with this, though - at some places this can mess with your match. Some companies will do an end-of-year true-up (if you're still employed there), but some will just say "oh, you didn't make your last few contributions for the year (after we cut you off), no match."

The best approach at your income level is usually to just calculate [current year 401k limit] / [number of paychecks] and then plug that into your company's 401k settings as the specific dollar amount.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 27, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
there are 401(k) programs that do not allow you to specify a dollar amount (source, mine) but if you are able to it is definitely the best way to do it

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there are 401(k) programs that do not allow you to specify a dollar amount (source, mine) but if you are able to it is definitely the best way to do it

Yea every 401k I've ever had has been strictly percentage-based, in whole integers.

I just napkin math whatever percent puts me just over the cap since payroll will stop me from going over. If I get too far out of whack too early I can readjust.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SnatchRabbit posted:

Do the hot new thing. Buy I Bonds. You can buy up to $10-15k a person per year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Do the hot new thing. Buy I Bonds. You can buy up to $10-15k a person per year.

before that poster buys I Bonds they should really be contributing to a backdoor Roth IRA for both themselves and their spouse

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Can someone give me a summary of the logic behind I Bonds?

Is it just that interest rates are so low on savings accounts right now that I can be guaranteed the I Bond rate for up to $10,000 and after a year it's as liquid as savings would be?

Is there something I'm missing?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I think it's because they're legally a very different thing than standard government bonds. They're a product with no secondary market (they can't be traded between people, only purchased and redeemed directly from the government), the amount purchasable per year is limited, and they're purportedly designed to pay out interest that will beat inflation with a premium on top. Who knows if that will actually hold true as inflation rises, but they're paying far better than anything FDIC-insured at the moment. I only recently learned about them and I view them as an extended emergency fund, one that is protected against inflation unlike FDIC-insured cash. I keep a larger emergency fund than most people so inflation nibbling away at it is a definite concern of mine, and as I can shift into I-bonds over the next few years that will let me reduce my cash holdings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That's not a complete understanding of I-Bonds. I-Bonds are designed to match inflation, not beat it, so they're a very safe store of value. Non-fixed interest rates are set based on changes in CPI-U. These interest rates are set and compounded every six months. If we see late 70s/early 80s inflation rates again, I-Bonds will pay 15%. There's no question about whether I-Bond rates are adjusted to match projected inflation, the question is mostly whether CPI-U is accurate.

I don't advocate moving significant portions of a liquid emergency fund to I-Bonds, which seems to be a big fad. The point of an E-fund is "I need cash now" and liquidating an I-Bond is more involved than doing a bank transfer from your HYSA to a checking account.