Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Most drivers that can afford brand new cars, even relatively inexpensive ones, tend to be older. That’s my hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Is there something in particular about the current generation Civic that is making their drivers stay 5 car lengths behind traffic in Southern California?

default adaptive cruise range?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Math You posted:

So the current gen, plain Jane civic is pretty decent then?

My in-laws had a 2012, which is somehow only one generation back, and that thing was just loving awful to drive. Completely gutless, way over damped suspension, no steering feel whatsoever, terrible stock speakers, and tacky bright blue bars in place of an instrument cluster.
Even my 100 percent completely uninterested in anything auto wife hated driving that car and would let out a massive sigh of relief when she was back behind the wheel of ours.
This comparison was next to my 2011 fiesta I had at the time too, not anything up market.

Have they really improved the dynamics of the car that substantially? I find it kind of hard to believe after having driven a 2018 CRV but kudos to Honda if they pulled that off.

It's hardly fair to compare a base Civic to a Fiesta ST.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

My wife used to have 2012 Civic; it was seriously the most boring car I’ve ever driven. And I’ve driven plenty of boring cars over the years- Accents, Priuses, Corollas, etc. The 2012 Civic was on another level; it took the art of boredom to strange new places.

Honda gave it an emergency refresh after a year, but the 2013 Civics were still pretty bland. The 10th gen (2016+) was a completely new model and worlds better in every regard. I’d take a 2016 stripper over a 2015 EX-L/Touring any day of the week.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
What makes a car horribly boring? I always consider non-enthusiast cars as purely transportation. Comfort, usability, safety, gas mileage, and reliability are the things that matter. Unless by boring, you mean feels unsafe to drive because of how terrible they handle (wranglers).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MeruFM posted:

What makes a car horribly boring? I always consider non-enthusiast cars as purely transportation. Comfort, usability, safety, gas mileage, and reliability are the things that matter. Unless by boring, you mean feels unsafe to drive because of how terrible they handle (wranglers).

Consumer Reports consistently reviews cars for their utilitarian value, and absolutely panned the 2012 Civic. It was worse than the car it replaced, had weirdly bad suspension that jostled passengers around, and just felt "un-Honda". Honda compact and midsize cars have pretty much always been the best feeling to drive, which does have utilitarian value. Nobody wants to drive something that feels completely disconnected from the road like a van or a heavy truck.

Consumer Reports posted:

For years, the Honda Civic ranked among the best small cars you could buy - until the 2012 redesign. It was a big step backwards, losing its premium feel and enjoyable nature. Instead, this Civic has a cheap interior, numb handling, and a bouncy ride. Interior road noise is also pronounced. Overly light and devoid of feedback, vague steering robbed the Civic of its sporty character. The ride is unsettled, even on the highway. Honda rushed back to the drawing board, substantially improving the car for 2013 by improving the ride, handling, and interior finish.

So by your criteria, it's uncomfortable, but efficient, reliable, and safe. Still not worth buying used because they've got that Honda premium. The best value by far from that era is a manual Focus. The bad automatics killed values for all of them, but the rest of the car is really pretty great!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Boring cars have low gotta have it factors. Fact!!! If you want real excitement replace your tie rods with rope.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MeruFM posted:

The last-gen Corolla I had as a rental a few years back was the definition of a boring car. There was nothing about the Corolla that made me want to just go out for a drive, or even look back fondly as I walked away. The steering was lifeless, ride and handling were both poor, and the engine was a gutless wonder that also hated to be revved out.

This isn't to say the Corolla was a bad car. It's great at its intended mission, which is to provide economical, reliable transportation.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Saw my first E in the wild today, not impressed. Doesn’t look any better in pictures, and is basically blobby cuv #394 to me.

I’m down with the drivetrain but the body is ugh.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i think the floaty disconnected feeling in Toyotas is intentional and what their audience largely wants

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bronco review embargo lifted today. Lots of praise.

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1409458914417070083?s=21

https://twitter.com/roadshow/status/1409451558153109505?s=21

https://twitter.com/caranddriver/status/1409498529140252674?s=21

https://twitter.com/therealautoblog/status/1409493581887201280?s=21

https://twitter.com/jalopnik/status/1409466886224371724?s=21

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Does 'compromised' not mean what I think it means?

"Here is this new off road vehicle that's poo poo at going off road, you'll love it!"

"You dreamed it would be poo poo and it is!"

Murgos fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 28, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Murgos posted:

Does 'compromised' not mean what I think it means?

"Here is this new off road vehicle that's poo poo at going off road, you'll love it!"

"You dreamed it would be poo poo and it is!"

From the end of the review:

quote:

Engineering is a game of compromises. If an automaker doesn’t want to build a boring car that’s decent in most areas, but instead wants to offer a vehicle that is stellar in just a few, then that automaker will have to give something up. And figuring out what to give up and to what extent is an art form mastered by only the finest automobile engineers.

The Ford Bronco is an example of a beautifully engineered vehicle because it’s compromised in all the right ways. Sure, it only gets between 17 MPG and 21 MPG combined and sure there’s some wind noise in the cabin, but who cares when the Bronco looks like that?

Sure, the vehicle has lots of brake dive and body roll, but who cares when it can do that off-road? Sure, the independent suspension doesn’t quite flex like the solid axle and may not be as easy to lift, but the electric power steering is tight, more efficient than the Wrangler’s electro-hydraulic system, and allows for advanced safety features like Lane Keep Assist. Not to mention, IFS offers good high-speed off-road handling, and with Ford offering 35-inch tires, a major disadvantage — the difficulty of lifting an IFS vehicle — becomes just a tiny blemish.

The Ford Bronco is a compromised machine, but the best vehicles of all time tend to be. And in the Bronco, the world has another soulful and fun SUV that dominates the trails and looks absolutely epic doing so. It’s an exceptional Wrangler competitor, and I can’t wait to put the two head-to-head off-road, in what could end up being the most extreme off-road slugfest the world has ever seen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It appears that it's very capable of going off road.

The compromised bit I think it's referring to its on-road manners. Basically saying it's the same as a wrangler in the compromise you are making.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

dissss posted:

It's hardly fair to compare a base Civic to a Fiesta ST.

It was just a plain (as noted, 2011) Fiesta. There wasn't even an ST until 2013

Thanks Twerk for the write-up on the 2012 Civic (which is the only one I've driven). I'm happy to know there's just the one year THAT bad

Math You fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 28, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bull3964 posted:

It appears that it's very capable of going off road.

The compromised bit I think it's referring to its on-road manners. Basically saying it's the same as a wrangler in the compromise you are making.

that's not what they're saying, they are saying that any vehicle that excels is the result of making various compromises, and that the Ford team have made good ones in this case. some appear to be similar to the ones made by Jeep with the wrangler and some are not.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Bronco appears to be a much better vehicle on road than the Wrangler, while being just as good off road.

In that case the Bronco should destroy the Wrangler because Wranglers are notorious for being poo poo everywhere but off road. Once people realize they can get a much more comfortable and safer rock crawler cosplay vehicle for cruising the mall parking lot people will be trading in their Wrangler tarmac queens in droves.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The Bronco appears to be a much better vehicle on road than the Wrangler, while being just as good off road.

In that case the Bronco should destroy the Wrangler because Wranglers are notorious for being poo poo everywhere but off road. Once people realize they can get a much more comfortable and safer rock crawler cosplay vehicle for cruising the mall parking lot people will be trading in their Wrangler tarmac queens in droves.

Can't get an angry eyes front fascia for the Bronco tho. It's a sheep thing, you wouldn't understand.

Lol autocorrect typo but it's staying in.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh I'm pretty sure angry eyes and Punisher replacement grills will be available for the Bronco ASAP

The typo is pretty accurate tho :v:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Zero One posted:

From the end of the review:

The way they are using compromised isn't valid. A competent off road vehicle isn't compromised because it doesn't comfortably chew up highway miles like a Grand Touring Car. Using that definition every car everywhere is compromised in that sense and the word has no actual meaning. Are Lamborghini's compromised because you can't take them up el capitan?

Compromised in context would be 'yeah it's great at X off road thing but to do that they had to give up on Y off road thing". But that's not the sort of thing they are trying to say at all.

Since what the article actually says is that it's better on the road then it's closest off road competitor, jeep wranglers, it is by that measure less compromised, if anything.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"slaps hood"

this baby can climb so many grocery store curbs

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Murgos posted:

The way they are using compromised isn't valid. A competent off road vehicle isn't compromised because it doesn't comfortably chew up highway miles like a Grand Touring Car. Using that definition every car everywhere is compromised in that sense and the word has no actual meaning. Are Lamborghini's compromised because you can't take them up el capitan?

Compromised in context would be 'yeah it's great at X off road thing but to do that they had to give up on Y off road thing". But that's not the sort of thing they are trying to say at all.

Since what the article actually says is that it's better on the road then it's closest off road competitor, jeep wranglers, it is by that measure less compromised, if anything.

Yeah, by that measure pretty much all cars are compromised, aka designed differently.

One of the things I said I loved about my Miata after I got it was how uncompromising it was, how so much of it is focused only on driving and nothing else. But of course you can look at a Caterham or something and say that the Miata makes compromises all over the place for comfort, safety, electronics, whatever. All consumer vehicles do.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I went and test drove the 2022 Civic Touring Sedan with the 1.5T and I thought I'd communicate my thoughts on the short time I spent with the vehicle.

-You're definitely gonna get good value out of the mid-tier EX models if you can do without the 1.5T and the bells and whistles. At least in Canada you can't get a 1.5T until you go Touring. I imagine the hatch will allow for a 1.5T on lower trims like the outgoing 2019 models.

-Ride is firm, but smooth, definitely has that "buttoned down" feel compared to competitors in its class but otherwise feels somewhat unremarkable. I would say it's a standard cross section of what people can expect from new upscaled "premium economy" cars purchased by an aging demographic that can't handle the harsher civics of the
1990s. My takeaway is that the steering isn't very communicative and at times a felt uncertain where the corners of the car were or how it moved relative to the space around me.

-You have a LOT of room. I'm 6'4" and the seat can let you ride low so your head doesn't touch the ceiling. Unfortunately it also means you have more of the dash, doorcards and other stuff in your field of view compared to older vehicles with more visibility.

-Infotainment, Climate Control etc is all very easy to use and looks really nice.. I appreciate that there's physical controls for everything. Volume control on the steering wheel is now a spring loaded toggle switch that resets back to its original position when you flick it... No more awkward touch sensor.

-Premium feeling knurled metallic knob for control of volume is on the large sized touch screen. Menus are easy to navigate, it's pretty responsive. Larger knobs with old school white LED numbers in the center for climate control. Shows temperatures, very easy to use. Car cools down quickly.

-Interior is very solid, nothing feels fragile, flimsy or out of place. Really like the ridged plastic material they used for the window controls and centre console. Leather seats feel good. Everything looks simple and easy to use with physical buttons and switches for stuff you wouldn't want to dig through menus to control.

-Digital dashboard display is one of the best I've used and gives premium brands a run for their money. Only gimmick is it shows a video gamey digital 3rd person view of your car in the center with lines drawn to demonstrate lane keep assist. It also visibly shows brake lights when you hit the brake, and even displays turn signals or reverse lights showing you what the car is doing from the back when you're driving.

-The Bose Sound system isn't worth the money and I could probably do without it if the package permitted it.

-The rear view camera kinda sucks and gives a really distorted view of the back compared to others I've seen. You're going to be relying on the bumper radar sensors to learn your corners and spacing until you get used to the car.

-The blind spot camera on the passenger side mirror is gone and you have a traditional illuminated blind spot monitor in the mirrors now.

- Performance wise the 1.5T doesn't have as much torque as I'd like and is adequate.

Overall I'd say the new Civic takes the best of the Honda Accord and puts it in a size that is more acceptable to me and other people looking for a smaller car. At this point I'd say it's probably as big as an older generation Accord anyway so I'd say its a great car for commuters who don't care about performance.
They'll sell shitloads of them and I expect it to be a staple for Uber drivers and general commuters who want something a more exciting, luxurious and understated than a Prius. I didn't like the styling of the outgoing civic so this new one is right up my alley and makes me feel like I'm driving an Audi A4 or Jetta but without the reliability problems.

The Type R and Si versions will be very interesting to see.

Also, holy poo poo the amount of features you can get in a HONDA CIVIC at 30k CAD is incredible to me. You used to have to fork out at least 50k for poo poo like LKAS, Blind Spot Monitoring and proximity sensors. We've come a long way from the old days of optional A/C and green calculator screen radios.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 28, 2021

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Once people realize they can get a much more comfortable and safer rock crawler cosplay vehicle for cruising the mall parking lot people will be trading in their Wrangler tarmac queens in droves.

This is why they will sell a ton of these. Now people can be comfortable while playing pretend off road champion. I personally know 2 people with Wranglers who are desperately awaiting their Bronco builds to become available.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Kraftwerk posted:

-The rear view camera kinda sucks and gives a really distorted view of the back compared to others I've seen. You're going to be relying on the bumper radar sensors to learn your corners and spacing until you get used to the car.

-The blind spot camera on the passenger side mirror is gone and you have a traditional illuminated blind spot monitor in the mirrors now.

Of course they get rid of the loving mirror cameras, the most important actually valuable non gimmick feature in a while.

Honda has been using that distorted rear view camera lens module and viewing software for like 10 years now, really squeezing all the R&D dollars out of it instead of putting something in that could be as good as a modern laptop webcam.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 28, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I thought the mirror cameras were supposed to be a cheaper alternative to a proper BSM system. Now the car has one of those there doesn't seem to be much point.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

dissss posted:

I thought the mirror cameras were supposed to be a cheaper alternative to a proper BSM system. Now the car has one of those there doesn't seem to be much point.

No.... if the cameras are good enough there is no need for a BSM. The camera could cover a larger angle than a traditional mirror, and eliminate blind spots.

To my knowledge it was never intended as a 'cheaper alternative' for BSM.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I wonder if Honda fixed the oil dilution problem in the 1.5t

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Bronco is going to be by far the hottest lifestyle vehicle for the foreseeable future, especially when Ford releases the warthog and other special trims. wrap it up wranglosers and tacomailures you're done

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wheeee posted:

Bronco is going to be by far the hottest lifestyle vehicle for the foreseeable future, especially when Ford releases the warthog and other special trims. wrap it up wranglosers and tacomailures you're done

I'll give you Wranglers, but I think that Tacoma people are far outside the Bronco's influence. The Tacoma is already a laughably inefficient expensive vehicle, they already don't buy Fords why would they start now?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wonder which is going to sell more, the Bronco, Lightning, or Maverick.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KakerMix posted:

I'll give you Wranglers, but I think that Tacoma people are far outside the Bronco's influence. The Tacoma is already a laughably inefficient expensive vehicle, they already don't buy Fords why would they start now?

Looking forward to seeing what they do with the 4Runner in 2023.

They have to update it right?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Wheeee posted:

Failrunners was right there

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
meanwhile: rooftop tent on miata

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

Maverick because of the price. They are gonna be everywhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smooth jazz posted:

I wonder if Honda fixed the oil dilution problem in the 1.5t

It wasn’t that common so I suspect the answer is both yes and no.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Maverick because of the price. They are gonna be everywhere.

I suspect the market for a small cheap useful truck is not that large, I’ll go lightning because it is super compelling in a package that Americans love. Bronc is good but I think it’ll mostly be stolen market share rather than growing the off-road suv market.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Inner Light posted:

To my knowledge it was never intended as a 'cheaper alternative' for BSM.

It absolutely was which is why it got progressively removed from each refreshed model as radar based BSM became more affordable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I dunno, it seems like the small truck market could make a comeback to me, timing is right and with hybrid and possible EV variants they could get popular again. I remember in the 80s when they blew up they were everywhere, seemed like everyone had a drat S-10 or Ranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Powershift posted:

If you have to ask that, the answer is: buy Ford stock