Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I was not aware we are a she, but thanks for the encouraging message.

yes, i know it's about smiercia, sheesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Wait a sec. So if Sun right there is Burner... She basically stopped herself from blowing up the facility because she sensed the concentration of gravity was getting stronger than the friggin Moloch Buster?

Whoa.

Also I'm thinking Fire is Cassandra and Ice is Crocell. Might... Possibly the ogre leading Kaigen's invasion of the facility. Which is interesting, this implies that Kaigen had... Something similar to Tyranny? And lost it in the superevent for some reason. I guess this explains why the Ogre werewolf was begging us to "give it back to him". Maybe it's related to the fact that whatever was the equivalent to god in this world is now dead, if my hunch about Kaigen being the Emperor of Heaven is right.

And, uh, for some reason I just imagined a playthrough from the point of view of Ocean Sensation. There's just something about going through the Island screaming about security regulations like a psychotic hall monitor until everything with a psychic presence begs you to stop that I find kind of amusing :v:

Grond fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 23, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Grond posted:

Wait a sec. So if Sun right there is Burner... She basically stopped herself from blowing up the facility because she sensed the concentration of gravity was getting stronger than the friggin Moloch Buster?

Not only that, but she still has the shirt from the Camp. I'm not sure if it was the sheer might of the gravity well, or that she realized that not only was her Petal there, but also that we were in there with it, and she almost nuked us that stopped her attack.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Grond posted:

Also I'm thinking Fire is Cassandra and Ice is Crocell.

Cassandra was using firebombs earlier during the breach. And Crocell is very much ice themed - amusingly she's about as anxious as Sauber despite what's happening, which is impressive.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

Razakai posted:

Cassandra was using firebombs earlier during the breach. And Crocell is very much ice themed - amusingly she's about as anxious as Sauber despite what's happening, which is impressive.

Yeah. That, and also the Home Continuity version of Cassandra was learning from the Sunburners, so we can assume her powers are fire based.

As for Crocell, well, she's also part of the Goetia, so all that talk about making her a "prince" (of Hell, I assume) is a pretty decent clue. Which means her "boss" would be, uh, Lucifer? Or Baal?

The Crocell from the Goetia is a Duke of Hell though, not a Prince. Maybe she got promoted or something? I can't recall if Princes were higher than Dukes in the demonic hierarchy.

Grond fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 24, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Iron In Holy posted:

You didn't set out to die that day, but it was where you ended facing; iron around your neck with a single millimeter of force necessary to crush it gelatinous.

It was a summer morning only a few months after landfall. Rainstorms passed over the valley fast and irregular, the Sun able to see through frequent gaps in the downpour. You wandered away from Home, north towards the hidden river structure only you knew about. It's a stone school displaced through a waterfall, overgrown with life, a marvel of impossible geometry. You loved its liminal alone, somewhere you could empty your thoughts as you reflected on Awakening into a new existence. Much of the time was spent just trying to remember; everything that came before was lost in the same sad void that ate dreams.

You'd dwell on the moments you could remember. The rest was gone, or buried under frustratingly rare triggers that'd bring recall. Rumination and disassociation became frequent. You've always had trouble with being able to trust your own certainty of reality, invalidations riddling your grip to bloodied slip; your new life situation hadn't helped that. You accepted last life that any memory you had could easily have been completely made up, for an array of equally true reasons. Now your last life was that question.

It gives you a lot to think about.

Today gave you a new thought; you came under attack by pixies in one of the unexplored halls. The brainless little faeries were nothing more than glass-tinkling will-o-wisps, autodumb bullies who existed to annoy like angered fireflies. A few could be smashed to glitter with ease, but you have the misfortune of an entire swarm assaulting you. You end up somewhere out in the courtyard, face so stunned by repeated pops of sound and light that you just stand there with a dumb expression, waiting for coherence in your ringing skull.

It's the Miner who finds you like that. She followed your scent, and comes over with stern worry to brush the glitter off and bring you back to awareness. You realize you're happy to see that she managed to find you, not at all bothered your secret place was exposed. She swats a few swarms of pixies, protected by the iron of her blood, before she prepares to take you Home to recover.

That's when you both watch all the pixies drop suddenly dead, the air cooled to metal-still. The Miner is ambushed, shoved and thrown in the distracted second; an enormous iron arm opens hand to wrap your neck and arms. You're in the air struggling when you bring yourself to react. Enormous gnoll... albino, the only color being the burnt loss of part of her face. Her imprisoning arm, iron nightmare machine. The fingers pinch with mathematical precision around your neck, just on threshold of branch-crack.

It brings you aware in threefold. You're dissociated, lost in fugue. You're evilly aware and struggling steady, fighting to figure out any possible escape. But there's a third there now, something new you're not used to; it's begging the Miner with your eyes, heart thundering in prayer.

The gnoll names herself Saint Merkja. You're evilly aware of how angry she is. Horribly mad. Your fugue panics time in mile-heard words; the Miner murdered somebody, the Saint says. Somebody she cared about. The Miner tells her to go gently caress herself. Plays it off. Doesn't admit to it.

But Merkja presses it literal with the gentlest extra micropressure, demanding to know if you were valuable to her. If she'd care if you ended up at the bottom of a lake.

The Miner is quiet for longer than you expect, and the third's prayer grows louder than awareness or fugue. They're brought hushed, disturbed, listening; waiting.

The Miner keeps talking, but the bullshit is falling away. She admits to it. That she killed. That she doesn't want you killed.

Merkja is execution-quiet. Then she drops you, and you crash to the stone and fight for air. You're not sure what they say as overwhelm drains out of you, but eventually the Saint leaves, and the Miner picks you up to hold you while she runs to Home. The Saint didn't kill you. The Miner didn't want you to die.

You didn't want to die.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

quote:

They often argued with Aitvaras among my bookstacks. Sometimes over what they read, what we had discussed together, or sometimes personal things. I heard it all, what with their thoughts so honest and open near the reflection of my Silver Mind.

It was about the one who'd be their grandmother. The infamous old gnoll. They swore she wasn't a bad person.
"She held you by the neck and was going to kill you!"
He was in disbelief.
But he listened to the finger being thrust at him, the voice that had so much trouble speaking enunciating its words as slowly, clearly as possible.

But. She. Didn't.

You felt those three words, and they stuck with you.

Looks like we've finally seen what happened here in this scene narrated by the psychic. I wonder how Merkja and the Miner went from "I'll kill your loved ones" to "I'm adopting you".

I do find it kind of odd that this was Merkja's first encounter with the Miner, considering they both have Ironblood. Maybe they are really blood related and neither knew it at rhis point in time... Or maybe Ironblood is a common trait among Hyaenidaes.

Grond fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 24, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Merkja breaks the silence. The Saint stays true to her holy, and walks forward first to address the gravity.

She can't shake the most horrible choke of guilt, and she doesn't know why. It compels her to address the outline of nothing in the black doorway, as close to its threshold as she dares.

"Shadow. Let us go. I have no intent."

She knows her Sainthood means little so close to no return, and her voice is begging by the third sentence.

Too late, much much much too late she knows that it doesn't care, it isn't capable of caring, when it knows with all Hell's hatred every ugly hypocrisy the old gnoll has ever been, shame clawing its way up her spine to strangle every lie of control and Sainted confidence with a divine gravity.

IRON'S ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][80%]

Ironfist weighs her body to bending. She bites her other hand, long teeth ripping the skin with the heart-attacking plea to stave off the dread, the accusation, the certainty of what that outline of perfect nothing means. The absolute of powerlessness. She knows it wants her to walk past its event horizon. She knows it wants her to be erased. It's happening so fast. The others are starting to move so slow and death was growing certain exponential.

The Saint only has time to pray.

OST: Gravity

TYRANT WALKING posted:

Gravity.

[Passive] Iron Saint Mastery tells you about the nature of the threat.

* It's so angry.
* It's too strong. It's so fast. It KNOWS.
* It's holding a BLACK BLADE.
* Abilities: [Punish] - [Messatsu] - [Law of Hell] - [At Any Cost] - [Monstrous] - [Lifebleed] - [Commandment] - [The Dolorous Stroke] - [Protocutter] - [The Blade Imperial] - [Bleeding Edge] - [Disembowel] - [The Masterful Motion] - [The Judas Remeant] - [Duel] - [Red Right Hand] - [Dark Wave] - [Vehemence] - [Gravity] - [Midnight]

BOSS FIGHT LOG posted:

Merkja raises her arm in shielding, and prays for her life.
It moves, it moves so fast. Ceaseless.
Cassandra is crying, there- there! Do you see it?

A black blade.

(It's thundering,) 30(-10) - [2]+[6]+[4] = 12 - Success.
[5 Damage!]
(thundering,) 30(-10) - [4]+[6]+[6] = 16 - Success.
[4 Damage!!]
(Thundering,) 30(-10) - [4]+[3+[1] = 8 - Success.
[7 Damage!]
(THUNDERING,) 30(-10) - [4]+[2]+[5] = 11 - Success.
[17 Damage!]
(The lightning-hate of a shaking hand,) 30(-10) - [4]+[3]+[1] = 8 - Success.
[1 Damage!]
(The windy-roar of a stomping boot,) 30(-10) - [3]+[5]+[3] = 11 - Success.
[3 Damage!]

And then it ends its intention.

(Messatsu) 20 - [6]+[3]+[4] = 13 - 10 HP Paid.
[FORCED CRITICAL HIT]
[x4 Damage]

[56 Damage!!!]

She prays for the iron of her body to hold.

(HT - Stay Awake) 25 - [4]+[6]+[1] = 11 - Success...
HP: [ -44 / 99 ] [NEAR DEATH!]

The world is red ringing, iron cracked singing. She saw. She saw she saw it murdering murdering murdering murdering murdering murdering murdering. Sainthood earns life, just one second of reaction; the others are moving so slow but they'll be here to aid her in just one more eternal second.

One second to prepare escape velocity.

How? HOW?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

If someone votes for anything but an all-out hug session i will be very disappointed.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

No! We don’t react well to being touched, so Merkja should be going with all-out defense. By the numbers this should keep her safe if we do the same thing again.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Yeah I can't see how attacking would do anything. Unless Counter is in the sense of "cancel" as opposed to striking back.

Also, every Tyrant skill would make a great band name. shout-out to The Judas Remeant

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, counter moves in RPGs USUALLY cancel out the damage while doing some back. I guess ot really comes down to "go full defense and hope Tyrant calms down", "Try to knock Tyrant out", or "All of the above". Full defense may be the wrong option here, because other people are moving towards the sentient black hole, and that's bad. Counter is probably the best option, a full attack from Merkja would probably reduce Tyrant into a paste (I'm assuming Tyrant still has our stats, just their full movement to use).

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

From my experience, counters don't cancel out the damage done to you, but there is sometime a damage reduction to the person using the counter. So countering is probably more likely to kill Merkja than defending but not as much as just outright attacking.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Merkja knows her terror isn't reasonable. She knows that the gravity is pulling it all to the surface of her heart, past all iron of self-discipline.

The Saint has to survive one evil second. Just one. Through dilation she can already feel the voices of the others rushing to her back, saving a fool in the riptide.

She thinks about what they read; that at the End, only shadow and iron would remain. She wonders if this is a test of her Sainthood, to see if she's ready to commit to that reality.

BOSS FIGHT LOG posted:

IRON'S ANXIETY: [ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][90%]

(WL) 16 - [6]+[4]+[3] = 13 - Success.

All-Out Defense [-20 To Hit] [-7 FP] - 8
All-Out Grapple [ST vs ST] - 5
All-Out Attack [x3 Attacks] - 2
Technique, 'Iron Reverb' [Attempt to counter each attack - 17

Merkja stands tall against the unbearable urge to curl up and shake.
She takes a deep breath, and extends the arm that bears Ironfist.
Her metal hand curls in the unrelenting stance.

(Iron Reverb) 20 - [5]+[1]+[1] = 7 - Success by 13.
[Counter% 13 Or Less]

The Saint keeps her love of iron through the weight of her disquieted guilt.
Hammerblows rain down.

(Crushing Black Blade) 30(-10) - [5]+[4]+[6] = 15 - Success.
(Iron Reverb) 13 - [1]+[5]+[4] = 10 - Countered!
[Merkja Takes 7 Damage!]
[It Takes 8 Damage!]

The Reverb would only happen if she can intersect her arm and body in such a way that makes striking her iron as painful for them as it is for her. She only had to discover the holy stance seven times to live.

(Smashing Black Blade) 30(-10) - [6]+[4]+[5] = 15 - Success.
(Iron Reverb) 13 - [2]+[2]+[1] = 5 - Countered!!
[Merkja Takes 0 Damage!]
[It Takes 2 Damage!]

Slides off harmlessly. It might be possible.

(Killing Black Blade) 30(-10) - [2]+[2]+[4] = 8 - Success.
(Iron Reverb) 13 - [6]+[1]+[1] = 8 - Perfect Cancel.

Catch the edge and throw it back-
But that makes it angry.

(Crashing Black Blade) 30(-10) - [2]+[1]+[4] = 7 - Critical Success.
(Iron Reverb) 13 - [6]+[4]+[5] = 15 - Failure by 2.
[Merkja Takes 13 Damage!]

Merkja's arm spasms from the force of the strike.
The Iron Reverb wouldn't be as reliable now. It's cracked.
The gravity is angry.

(The Dolorous Stroke) 30(-10) - [6]+[5]+[4] = 15 - Success.
[-1 HP]
(Iron Reverb) 11 - [6]+[6]+[5] = 17 - CRITICAL FAILURE!!
[50 DAMAGE]
[Ironfist Arm Maimed]

HP: [ -114 / 99 ] [DEATH THRESHOLD]

(HT - Stay Awake) 25 - [6]+[1]+[4] = 11 - Success.
(HT - Stay Alive) 25 - [6]+[2]+[1] = 9 - Success.
(HT - Stay Iron) 25 - [5]+[1]+[2] = 8 - Success.

The black blade strikes with a maiming promise, the tip wicked with nerve-mangling hate. It anticipates the Reverb and tricks the Saint, allowing gravity to bring the dark point down into holy iron. It catches right into a joint and deforms the metal, shattering the old bones underneath and robbing it of its Saintly strength.

The Hyaenidae bares her teeth in scowl and closes her eyes when she feels the tyrannical wound, no sound escaping. Her heart doesn't stop. Her mind doesn't blank. Her arm doesn't sever. She reels backwards, the weight of Ironfist unbearable on the broken limb it hangs from. This buys her the precious clockticks needed to live. It doesn't follow up with the final two killing strokes, instead watching the outcome of the Saint's mistake.

That's when they finally enter the gravity. Two cats. Two Agents. A Duke. One is at the Saint's side already, the other holding her up with a knife aimed over her shoulder in pitiful warding. Two cats and a white serpent approach the
⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫ 100% ⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫ 100% ⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫ 100% ⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫ 100% ⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫ 100% ⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫ 100% ⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫ 100% ⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫ 100% for another helping of pork and potato.

The kitten rests in your lap, while Cassandra and Crocell help Merkja stand up. She wheezes and inhales hard, looking faint with anxiety before she seems to shake it off. Literally, as a very light misting rain comes down from the cloudless tourmaline sky.

Sauber kneels to pet the cat that swims in the ground, who purrs with lung-shivering intensity. Home's Pact with Ulthar was going great. The Duke was being... the kinda guy he is, out of his profound love for the Emperor-crowned Ranger and Valkyrie. He showed respect to those he considered family of his allies. You were going to be having a special dinner soon, one of special invitation to celebrate you as the newest member of Clan Ignatz, including the reconciliation of Merkja with her two daughters.

It's real. It's so improbably real. You pray every day for it to remain real long enough for you to be unable to deny it. You...

You don't know what you're doing exactly, and suddenly neither does anyone else. It isn't the day of the dinner yet. They were still gone, on walk to Megalith. Right? Wasn't Cassandra on that walk? But she's right here, sharp in her flameproof suit. Crocell looks haggard, but she's meant to be here, right, of course. She's on the Council, with the Doctor and the Judge.

It's such a beautiful evening. You all have some food of course, you don't have guests in your back lawn without hosting something. Pulled pork, forest greens... is grandma ok? She's sitting down and holding her arm, looking stressed. Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. Of course. Grandma. That's a word you have to get used to. That's a word you've never known. Isn't that the coolest? Your Grandma, THE Iron Saint. Is she ok? Her arm looks so badly hurt. Ironfist, she calls it. Red seeping out of it.

You're distracted. The kitten is purring so loud in your lap while you pet it. They're all distracted. Merkja is breathing slow and silently, and Cassandra is holding on to her unwounded arm, fighting back tears. You're confused. Crocell smiles, and looks aware. You're thinking about Frankie muttering in the trunk. She says "The Duke and Ulthar Council have to get back to the Dream soon. Merkja just needs a second. Can you help show them out of Home? I'll make sure she's ok."

Yeah. Sure. Of course. You're standing up and there's a swimming cat looking serenely at you while a kitten tries to climb your leg. The Duke smiles his full-tooth polite, and you smile back. You know he thinks highly of you, that he told the others you have a rare quality he saw in himself when he was still formative. Had a riot when he saw how good you did in an eating contest. Now he's walking with you and the cats, and insisting on giving you a gift.

"Ambassador, please please, on behalf of my sister sisters accept. Nothing- no no nothing in return! Unfair to demand that. These are well-wishes. Secret admirations. Acknowledgements. Ambassador, I hope you can visit with me down in the Dream one day. All of Ulthar's Council will be invited too, we could have such a meaningful time."

Yeah. Yeah ok. Of course. You accept his gift without thinking, smiling, knowing he doesn't lie. The Duke cannot lie. Has no need to, with his ambition always laid so humbly bare. Right. So you need to take him out of town. You need to... walk away. Walk out. Right. The Duke, the cats, they need to leave.

They're counting on their Ambassador.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER CHOICE - What A Lovely Night

The Duke is so gracious. He has given you a gift. One of his own secret techniques, learned as he bit his way to the top, a recognition of one Apex to another. What an honor.

Which secret does the Duke divulge?

Now, while that gift is a wonderful thing, there's the fact that the Duke and the two Cats of Ulthar really must be getting back down to the Dreamlands. They need to leave Home, but which direction to take?

Four directions means four paths.

Voting will end by tomorrow afternoon.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I know there are people keeping track, there was a couple of loading screens with the predator skills, which Duke uses, right?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The blue book has repeatedly said that the ability to negate high defense values is critical to sustaining the onerun, so that seems like a smart pick-up.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

There is one technique we very specifically want:

The Blue Book posted:

"...handful of times on record. It's difficult to earn his respect, but if won over, he can teach rare techniques; Vorpal Fang is the most prized of them, followed..."
The techniques available are:

A loading screen, I think? posted:

PREDATOR
"The killing Arts of those with apex ferocity. Goes beyond the beast, and into the primal."

[Butcher]
[Beast Mode]
[Law of Hell]
[Condemn]
[Inevitable]
[Doomgaze]
[Okodemona] (Oko demona = Around demons in Croatian?)
[Cerberus]
[GOREFEAST]
[The Rak Ksiecia] (= The Prince's Cancer in Polish?)
[Vorpal Fang]
[ALPHA]
The secret of striking the vitals with the intent of harvest sounds like Butcher, unfortunately, and I'm assuming from its place in the listing that it's a fairly low-tier skill. Given that, snaking through defenses by using dread seems the most likely to be Vorpal Fang (snicker-snack!), and if it's not then it's still going to be extremely useful. Unholy fear through corpse dismemberment [GOREFEAST?] and strength always winning over the weak both sounds like "win more" skills - if there are corpses strewn everywhere or we're fighting weak opponents [ALPHA?] then most of the time we're in a decent position already. Ignoring pain when near death is something we can do already with our sky-high willpower. Reading surface thoughts and inducing paralysis are niches we can already fill with the Silver Mind, at least to some extent (and we'll get better at disabling status effects as the game progresses). Cultivating killing intent with a staredown [Doomgaze?] could be pretty useful, since our staredown with Sauber was willpower-based, but negating defenses is better.

I don't think we have any idea about possible directions though, right? I picked west because :goleft: and because beaches are possible Doubler hangouts.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I picked NORTH, because nothing bad can come out of a beach episode NORTH.
As for techniques, i went with the only non-violent one, the one for reading the surface thoughts.

Also gently caress the blue book, it has an in-build assumption about needing to kill lords and y'know, i can agree that defence-piercing seems to be critical for that.
We ain't going that route tho, since we KNOW it always ends as a failure.

Also okodemona is literally demon's eye in russian which seems about right.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Defense piercing seems like it would be good for killing whatever other terrible things pops up.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, there’s not exactly a shortage of horribly-powerful things that want us dead - combat skills are useful for a lot more than killing lords. We’re probably pretty high on MC&D’s poo poo list right now, for example.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted for Strength winning over the weak because that sounds like it MAY be a diplomatic option and if "winning over" is meant as a "convincing people to listen to you", that could help in the long run.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED

The secret of unholy fear through corpse dismemberment. - 0
The secret of ignoring pain when near death. - 3
The secret of your strength always winning over the weak. - 2
The secret of cultivating killing intent through a staredown. - 2
The secret of snaking through defenses by using dread. - 17
The secret of inducing paralysis through murderous motions. - 2
The secret of reading surface thoughts through trifold focus. - 3
The secret of striking the vitals with the intent of harvest. - 5

North, to a river beach. - 3
East, to a wetland field. - 3
South, to a forest spring. - 17
West, to a dim valley. - 8

...LOADING

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I wonder if the player character is still tapping away at Ctrl and/or Alt, wondering when the screen will stop flickering with strange images and allow gameplay again. Or if any of this is seeping through to them.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

In Silver Gone Dark posted:

[ ̡ ͏̵҉ ̸͏͝ ̕ ̛́́͢͠ ̢͏̷ ̴̀͠҉̶]

Śmiercią smiles, and raises her glass of wine to toast. Even even tones. Cooled allure of her scythe.

"All the best, Słońce. Three years of the most beloved show in the world."

You don't react to your title. You look up from the replay of the anniversary episode to smile back with no feeling, pressing your glass to hers. You empty yours in one motion and set it down.

You don't realize yet that all you have to feel about it is ice. Only been ten years since the end. Still only been ten days. You're always ready for it to be waiting for you, always just ten minutes ahead. While your show is something you put a terrible passion into, even that doesn't have a true fire inside it. Just a cold longing motivation. You have to give it your all; there's no choice in the decision.

Your show is watched religiously. You sing, you preach, you opera, you teach, you joke, you dramatic, you explain.

All the children of the world come to see you perform live. The brightest minds stand behind you, the creative unbound, painted by a legion of guest stars, speakers, witnesses. Puppets and costumes, machines and lights, fireworks and sound systems, telling the thousand stories that would reach across the decades to see the last to be born raised with a sense of unity inside of a terrestrial divine.

It's been three years of untold beauty in the collaborative expression of those who survived, and The Słońce Show will do all it promises and more.

You have not yet built up enough courage to ask Śmiercią to let you die.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Our title is literally "Sun"? cool beans, lemme just ask burner if she's cool with that.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[It pays off.]

[All it took was moving into the maps of the Fortress of Apples and hitting some trigger or another to force an event. That event is a fight for survival against the Tyrant. Voluntarily going 100% was an act of absolute last resort. Doing everything in the Tyrant's power to not be pushed that far was necessary survival.]

[But it's happening, and the goal is to survive. Merkja is first inside the field, and she manages to survive two turns of full-force death attempts. Her Ironfist arm is crippled... which is a rare respite. Then it gets weird when the Tyrant doesn't follow up with its last two attacks in the chain. There's a terrible long pause, and then four more join the Saint inside the field.]

[Fight instantly ends. But the game loads on, and there's no kill-cutscene to follow up as usual, just an immediate fade to waking in the post-Tyrannical collapse. Tyrant fights meant someone had to die before it stopped, but this one ended in a way that Merkja is alive.]

[It's still a trade-off. The first fall to Tyranny, but the game goes on from a certain crash End. Just have to find out where and when, what's changed, and walk on to Megalith from there.]

[It was a million to one chance it's gotten this far.]

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The post fight dialogue is curious. I wonder if Crocell actually said anything like that in "reality", or if we're just viewing more bleedthrough from Home. As otherwise it'd show she's aware of her alternate version and capable of remembering enough to talk us down.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[The Blue Book provides distraction during the slow and cautious assessment of changes.]

The Blue Book posted:

"...daring Thieves can try to steal the Island Rifle, and if successful, suffer its glitch/curse in order to use it for a surefire..."

"...the last stop in the upgrade chain. It requires a Chirurgeon's touch to have any real chance of success, but the payoff..."

"...popular belief, using the 'say' command for the noble Einherjar line does NOT boost the chance of..."

"...legendarily difficult-to-learn Dimensional Angle, allowing the stupendous option of fighting..."

"̤̦͙..̤͇̪̫͓̬͍.̞̳best use of Cass, Vinny, and Gaz. Always keeps them together for the 'We Superheroic Three' bonus. It's no Ultrahuman, but he's unrealiable trash anyways. Eventually when they get the wish-chance for genuine superhero powers.͍̲̪̖.̝̣͎͓̹.͈̰͟"̙͈̗͞

"...reality of every onerun. The Tyrant WILL start to win. It's not about stopping them, it's about..."

"...suicide. His default has a ST of 50 and a legion of abilities to enhance his hand-to-hand. Even Big Bad isn't his equal. Fighting him with a sword is the..."

"...with Snapfighting, other than spending the exorbant amount of time needed to achieve the skills and resources to..."

"...higher your Joy will be. It's always a weighing of whether the effort is worth the stress and risk, in exchange for the longer term relief of..."

"...intro, the old drunk witch can rarely be seen holding a tarnished sigil. It's the same sigil as the one the ice dryad Agent always drops, which can..."

"...other qualities, like the Auracision, Levantine, Fomalhaut..."

"...skill enough to be dangerous with one are Bloodshop, Heart Fulla Joy, Dywysogeshashmal, Sueynami, Madknight, Song Carolina, Heaven’s Cloud, and Spadille, who wields the..."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
clearly the Tyrant must be cultuivated into the Messiah. we must follow the Golden Path.

and begin attaching fishlike creatures to our body. obviously.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Note to self: aggressively vote down any attempts to put points into tyranny on levelup.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sky eyes flutter open.

You wish they hadn't.

OST: Weary...

Assess. Asse- no no no. Stop. You don't want to assess. Stop. Stop thinking. Stop always thinking thinking can't shut it up you don't WANT TO ASSESS.

You want-

A small scrabbly hand to grope, over a hard cold wet surface, into your shirt and there's skin bare bare cold skin wet gross useless skin. No t-shirt. Not even a lousy t-shirt. The hand keeps crawling, worming weakly into the coat pocket. No photo. No evidence.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%]

that means it's fake fake all fake all a lie you made up in your head it's all a lie and it never happened no evidence no but what about the shroud Red gave you that's a lie that's fake too look look see she gave you a warm lovely ratty blanket wrapped you up and touched your head this this is just a flimsy gossamer sheet it's not Red's it's another lie you told yourself but what about the blow?! what blow what powder that's not real either it was another lie because you lie and make things up and have no evidence AND EVERYTHING KNOWS YOU LIE AND THEY HATE YOU FOR IT AND THEY'RE GOING TO HURT YOU SSSSOOOO SSSLLLOOOOOWWLLLY FOR IT THEY'RE GOING TO

(Disquiet) 10 - [6]+[2]+[2] = 10 - Stop.

Stop. Stop. Stop.

Look at the photo of him. Look at it. It's right here, in your hand - it's real. He's real. He's looking at you from inside a single frozen second that was real. He's smiling beautiful and your eyes burn wet, shut tight but his face is still real. It's real and you have to hold onto that for dear life.

HP: [ 1 / 21 ]
FP: [ 1 / 14 ]

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

You curl up and cry, crushing the photo to your face. Your body is weak and worn, stickydry with red crust. You hold yourself in a dark little ball, desperate, begging for your mind to be quiet and your body to be silent. You can't stop it; assess, assess, assess. But you can try to control it. You swallow and you remember when he told you, that you hum brighter than the Sun.

You check in.

Six-Pack Subscription posted:

it hurts. it hurts. spasm, tear, contraction, wear. don't stand up. don't exert. too weak.

Central Nervous posted:

rkda sdnou edda ari inbeg vileontly aidpdscel ikiglln ensot goes ceon nad an ram is fof geos aigan effssletryol nad hte dimcientos si pnoe a qkicu ngspnaip ekrtis taht bolws oepn the eoldusrh kqciu leingna atsb, oefebr hte sword si uellpd kbca out toni eth temnomum fo a bgaukswnc olbw afec is ontr onpe

Compromised Cranial posted:

lie another lie never happened never ever happened wasnt real another liar another lie another fake fake fake another bad fake lie

Garbage Disposal posted:

Cast it. Cast it. Now. Cast the burger spell. Cast it now. Now. Cast it now. Cast the burger spell. Now.

The Silver Mind posted:

The Dark posted:

[Somewhere, far beyond the back of the black, it breathes.]

You force your head up to see.

Dim light. Near morning or near night. You push yourself up but startle when your hand slips on stone, and dunks into cold water. Startle turns to desperation as you lean over the rock edge, staring down into a still pool. You force your head in and drink deep, pulling up to gag and wince from the chillshock.

Assess... a pool. Stones and steps all around, the song of streams and waterfalls. Some kind of spring. You sit up, biting your lip to keep down a cry of pain. Every fiber of your body rages against your audacity to live. Your thirst is slaked, but your stomach screams from an unknown amount of starvation. At its demand, you try to think clearly enough to order a burger.

(Cheeseburger Magics!) 14 - [5]+[6]+[3] = 14 - Failure.

You get about two seconds into the thought necessary to call on the false spirit animal, before pain shoots through your eye and down the spine. You abort and roll over to curl up and groan again, before a single stale burger bun flops out of the ether. It's down your throat before you can even growl.

More time passes as you lie there. Strength returns with reluctance, sending you to an awkward rise. The ground view if confirmed - you're among river and stone, still somewhere in the Rivergreen. You brush vine and hanging blue flowerbulbs away, limping into your next assessment.

Well. You have the sealed Moloch Buster still, and the heavy cleaning bot. Sword and gun are ready. You loom down at the sheer amount of violence stained into you. Knowing that you need it more than you want it, you remove your old suit and creakily tuck it away before a short plunge into the cold water spring. You pull yourself back out, shivering too hard to make a sound, clumsily pulling on the red suit of Kadath and wrapping the warming shroud around you.

You just need a second. To master yourself, to force down the horrible uncertainty. When the sobbing begins again, your bite your mouth and claw your leg to stop it- but then you realize that you're not crying.

Someone else is.

Someone... big. The sound picks up across the whispery waters, the low groan of sorrow escalating above the trees into a brief howl of anguish. It fades to weeping, mingling with the streams, but doesn't end. You stumble slow across the slippery stones to creep up on the sound, shaking hand rubbing itself raw across the harsh hilt of your sword. Peeking over the stone steps reveals it-

HUGE. A wolf yes, but a wolf that could harry a tank. Monstrous gray, too too lean, and it paces over the stones with a thoughtful sadness. It paws at the ground, or smashes its claws down with frustration. Tears flow from its eyes as it bares its teeth with the wrath of mourning. It lies down and thrashes, it stands up and gnashes. Though the Silver Mind is lost in the dark, you know it would tell you how distraught the beast is.

You lean your burning head against a wet stone, your own sadness dulled back by the strange wolf.

Assess. ASSESS. You have to assess, and then know what to do.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Why grandmother, what big eyes you have".

I'm guessing this is either Merkja, a werewolf or a very smart wolf. Either way, we're in no shape to fight, and we could use some help.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Central Nervous System posted:

rkda sdnou edda ari inbeg vileontly aidpdscel ikiglln ensot goes ceon nad an ram is fof geos aigan effssletryol nad hte dimcientos si pnoe a qkicu ngspnaip ekrtis taht bolws oepn the eoldusrh kqciu leingna atsb, oefebr hte sword si uellpd kbca out toni eth temnomum fo a bgaukswnc olbw afec is ontr onpe

dark sound dead air being violently displaced killing onset goes once and an arm is off goes again effortlessly and the midsection is open a quick snapping strike that blows open the shoulder quick leaning stab, before the sword is pulled back out into the momentum of a backswung blow face is torn open!?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Glad to see an update, was wondering if you might have taken too much fire damage irl if you're anywhere in the current fiery hellscape.

I'm guessing this might be the ogre werewolf we got a brief vignette from earlier, or possibly one of the other followers of that assault. In which case it might be friendly towards someone bearing Tyranny, or might just murder us cause it's a crazy ogre werewolf. Let's see!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Thankfully no, but MA has been so hot the last few days I couldn't think straight.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Why Does It Cry?

[Murderous Intent] End it. End it. Don't be a fool. Kill it. Don't let it hurt you. Don't let it find a way to hate you. One swift stroke - end it! - 3
Call out to the wolf, and ask why it cries. - 15
Try with all your weakness to quietly leave. - 0
Come into view, and just stare at it. - 4

...LOADING

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You climb up over the water-soothed rock; hands grasp slow with the crackling of muscle and bone.

There. Right there. Great wolf weeping.

You figure you'll feel your hand twitch twitch central nervous has a hitch, all you have to do is reach in pull across aim up barrel out. There there right there right there between those tear-ruin eyes, careful steady right there let it aim out. Ready? Ready? Ace the shot. Ace the shot. Let it die. It's going to hurt you so it's going to die.

(͠GUN͠! UP!͝ AIM͞! ͡OUT! B̸AN̛Ǵ. ͟B͟ANG͟. BA͝N̡G. B҉AN͠G͝. B̢A͡NG̢.҉) 9͘͘҉̕9̸̶͏͠ -͏ [1]+̵[̷2]+̧[5̶] ́=́ 8̴ ͏- G͢OÒD͟ E͏NO͝UGH҉!̵

CLENCH FINGER PULL TRIGGER AND-

A Third posted:

What is your hand doing?

Holding a gun so the deed will be done, ready to make a Sign.

A what? You- empty hands. No. No gun. No. No your hands are shaking wither-old and they're trying to do something. You don't know what. You're tired and confused and scared. You're sick and hurt and lonely. It's raining, and your hands are shaking open empty. Involuntary, you call out to the crying wolf with a weak watery whisper; you, meek and ready to End. You call out (what are you thinking?!), you call out Are You Okay?

Oh it happens fast. A single blink and the train has arrived, you're bowled over with nightmare snarl in your face. Your ears ring from tenscore bark, your body seizes under paw, your heart knows it knows it just knows you're going to see it:

...your hands are up, palms out, your expression unchanged. Your heart races no faster or slower. Deathcalm, but no scythe comes. The massive wolf just stares at you with his teeth clenched to killing, his eyes as weepy worn as yours.

Then he smells you.
Then he steps off.
Then he speaks.

"Cat. Serpent. Hyena."

His voice is wet from his mourning. But that doesn't stop it from carrying to every tree and stone, inside the wood and water, reverberation under your spine and up through your crown. The wolf leans down in to sniff you one last time, seeming to catch something that sends him back form you with a delicate caution. He paces from the stone he pinned you to, shivering as rain starts to pierce the shadowblue canopy. He seems to understand the last scent, eyes brightened with a fierce hope.

"...gravity...? Oh starscent. Holy. Holy."

You sit up in your daze, looking at the wolf. He sits himself down across from you, but keeps a strange distance despite his clear killing strength. The wolf begins to demand.

"Little shadow. Why are you here?"

You- no. No. Wait. Wait. Think. Try to think.

(IQ - Use the careful side of true words.) 10 - [5]+[1]+[1] = 7 - Success.

Well, you, you don't know why you're here. This is just where you are.

"Then, little shadow, where are you going?"

You're gone. Gone to Megalith.

The wolf stands, and leans a little further in. He's smelling the air again, staring right at you. He asks his next question, and it's there, standing behind his heart with a warm sweet color; hope.

Little shadow...
...are you a hero?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

No one gets to call themselves a hero. It's their actions that let others around them judge them to be worthy of that title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Randalor posted:

No one gets to call themselves a hero. It's their actions that let others around them judge them to be worthy of that title.
but what if our name is literally Hero huh. ever considered that?