Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I figured on mostly troops and vets but didn’t really know how well fleet troopers would go in a full list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fleets are good but usually not more than 2. One with a shotgun can be good as a one-off close assault unit (with an officer if you feel generous) or as truck payload. Naked fleets are also decent activation padding, troopers will hit at range 3 but fleets with a standby can be really effective for how cheap they are at holding something in the backfield. I haven't had the chance to use the truck yet but some people have been experimenting with fleets plus an extra body and/or concussion grenades as a dirt cheap payload.

Also if you do wanna go gunline, rebel troopers with the DLT, captain, and situational awareness backed by Vigilance can be really effective, they're difficult to remove and hit hard while having suppression mitigation. Stacking dodges or having Chewie makes them even tougher.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

I guess one of the things I’ve had a hard time wrapping my head around is the “theme” of the armies.

My first wargame was LotR so I understood how Rohan is cav, Isengard is solid melee and cheap but effective heroes, dwarf are high defense low movement tanks.

I kinda feel clones are an elite army while separatists are a horde B1 army. I haven’t really wrapped my head around rebels and empire yet though.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Rebels are elves, they prefer moving and shooting or dodging but can't take a bit hit.

Their characters are generally mobile, great offense and have defensive effects that can make them extra tanky, but generally hate being shot at. Lots of crazy powerful one-off situational effects from command cards.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Empire are basically clones but worse- they've got simarily beefy corps and big vehicles but they're not as strong as their GAR equivalents, though they are cheaper. Rebels are kinda like elves yeah, they've got some defensive tricks but if they get slapped hard they melt. They've also probably got the most diversity in their roster- they can run infantry gunline, hero spam, light armor, heavy melee, and elite SF in a bunch of different varieties, though usually they're not going to be the best at it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
As a rebel player i generally stick to 3 rebel troopers with DLTs, to keep them at a distance as long as possible. I find the rebels strength lies in having really good herohammer lists and special forces. Which is certainly fluffy.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Wookies!

So I'm gathering that the new box will:

* Replace the existing rebel box.
* Comes with a ranged and melee unit card for both Rebels & Republic.
* Comes with a Wookie Chieftain commander unit card and command cards.
* The Yoda set is apparently going to include a card (or several cards?) allowing Republic players to field Chewie in some way.

There is a load of speculation that it may be possible to field a full Wookie army with walking carpets as a core choice?

That Wookie box might reshape the whole faction by the looks of it!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It is exceedingly unlikely wookies become corps unless they add an age of sigmar esque "this unit becomes corps with this general rule.

Its exciting to see what happens. As a rebel player wookies have been my favorite spec forces

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

RagnarokAngel posted:

It is exceedingly unlikely wookies become corps unless they add an age of sigmar esque "this unit becomes corps with this general rule.

Its exciting to see what happens. As a rebel player wookies have been my favorite spec forces

People are speculating that one of the cards in the box turns them into corps, but that seems a bit baseless to me, IDK.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

People are speculating that one of the cards in the box turns them into corps, but that seems a bit baseless to me, IDK.

I was watching Crabboks latest video, he is speculating on some new rule that is a variation on entourage coming at some point.

It does feel like they are so close to a full Wookie army that not going for it would be a bit of a miss.

I'm mostly wondering how Republic Commander Chewie is going to work as his command cards are all tied to working with Luke/Han/Leia who won't be on the same army. All new set? Can he use the Wookie Chieftain cards?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ugleb posted:

I was watching Crabboks latest video, he is speculating on some new rule that is a variation on entourage coming at some point.

It does feel like they are so close to a full Wookie army that not going for it would be a bit of a miss.

I'm mostly wondering how Republic Commander Chewie is going to work as his command cards are all tied to working with Luke/Han/Leia who won't be on the same army. All new set? Can he use the Wookie Chieftain cards?

Yoda comes with two 2 pips and one is for Chewie (has his portrait in the corner). The actual card is hiddien in the promo shot but I am betting thats a "Yoda and Chewbacca" card as it would put it in line with his others.

Chewie has always been meant to be run as a bodyguard for another hero so its fine if he doesn't have 3 for republic and theyd really need to stretch credibility to make it work with anyone but Yoda.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I could see something where taking a Wookiee chieftain as a commander let’s you take Wookiee as troops. Maybe with a caveat that you can’t take anything else as troops or something.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Funzo posted:

I could see something where taking a Wookiee chieftain as a commander let’s you take Wookiee as troops. Maybe with a caveat that you can’t take anything else as troops or something.

My skepticism does partially come from the fact that this would be broken as hell.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Do we have any idea of what comes after the Wookiee wave? Probably due for another GCW wave correct?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Nash posted:

Do we have any idea of what comes after the Wookiee wave? Probably due for another GCW wave correct?
A long time ago devs stated that after the Kasshyk wave, they'd be interested in a Rebels / Lothal wave (which Imperials kinda already halfway into with Kallus and LAAT). Luke Eddy also mentioned a mini wave for Fallen Order (as something he would be very interested in doing).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nash posted:

A leak (which ended up being accurate in regards to the rerelease of wookies and yoda so I believe it) showed the following stuff that hasnt been announced to my knowledge:
-A wookie ornithopter
-Kalani, the tactical droid from the rebels tv show
-MagnaGuard, who are probably the CIS version of imp royal guard

Id kill for Cal Kestis and Second Sister from Fallen Order.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 27, 2021

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I wasn't sure if the Magna Guard were supposed to be coming out with the Wookiees but I guess they would've announced them already.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Magna Guard and Super Tactical Droid have been teased- I'm pretty sure they showed a Magna Guard model. The super tac is supposedly going to have multiple variants to represent various named characters but we don't have a lot of details

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

RagnarokAngel posted:

A leak (which ended up being accurate in regards to the rerelease of wookies and yoda so I believe it) showed the following stuff that hasnt been announced to my knowledge:
-A wookie ornithopter
-Kalani, the tactical droid from the rebels tv show
-MagnaGuard, who are probably the CIS version of imp royal guard

Id kill for Cal Kestis and Second Sister from Fallen Order.

Yeah these are all officially revealed and will probably be the releases covering the rest of 2021. I imagine the pandemic has hit time lines a bit so we will be seeing a slow down in releases. Fallen Order would be a good shout for a couple of civil war lightsaber options.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

yoda's command cards seem a bit much

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

yoda's command cards seem a bit much

I will make fun of FFG for constantly making clones ludicrously good right up until they release Mace and I stop caring

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

For those that havent seen, AMG posted these on their twitter.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I guess in theory there's a drawback to having to play them out semi-deterministically if you want to double down on any, but they are generically powerful enough as one offs over the course of six rounds that it barely seems worth trying to recycle them if it's going to be a drawback to telegraph your next order in order to fish one back.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yoda farming out green tokens to a pile of Phase II’s with a surge each (even for just a turn) sounds utterly disgusting.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I want to give a full unit of ARCs Relentless pretty bad

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
You can give him speed 3 and double jump for half of the drat game lmao

I guess they didn't want a repeat of anakin

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

hoiyes posted:

You can give him speed 3 and double jump for half of the drat game lmao

I guess they didn't want a repeat of anakin

AMG cranking an oversize dial from "film clone wars" clockwise towards "tartovsky star wars" and looking back at the audience for approval like a game show contestant.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 29, 2021

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I want to give a full unit of ARCs Relentless pretty bad

Then hit them with Guidance so they move+aim+shoot again

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Interesting that he has going from being '200 points is way too much' to 'he is ridiculously cheap' overnight.

It's almost like you can't judge the unit without seeing all the rules. Or maybe actually playing it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I need some cheevos for the skirmish league I'm starting next week and I'm crowdsourcing the thread. Here's what I got so far, friends. The idea is to keep them achievable by any faction so "score a victory point with Luke Skywalker" for example would be a bad one.

"Mission, what Mission?" - Win a game where you scored at least one Secret Mission or Bounty victory token.
"Duel of the Fates" - Defeat a unit with at least one Force upgrade slot using a unit with at least one Force upgrade slot.
"All I am surrounded by is fear." - Defeat 2 trooper units with a commander or operative unit in a single game.
"I've got a bad feeling about this." - Blank out [roll no symbols] on a pool of 8 or more of any combination of dice.
"Now I am the master" - Win a game against an opponent who you previously lost to.
Mechanized Combat - Defeat a heavy unit with another heavy unit.
"Hokey Religions and Ancient Weapons" - Defeat a trooper with at least one Force upgrade icon with a commander or operative that has no Force upgrade icons.
"It's just... people." - Win a game where your army contains zero unique (•) units or upgrades.
"It's over Anakin" - Make an attack from the highest point on the game board that can be occupied by a model.
"Now this is podracing." Have one or more models in your opponent's deployment zone during the first game round.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

I need some cheevos for the skirmish league I'm starting next week and I'm crowdsourcing the thread. Here's what I got so far, friends. The idea is to keep them achievable by any faction so "score a victory point with Luke Skywalker" for example would be a bad one.

"Mission, what Mission?" - Win a game where you scored at least one Secret Mission or Bounty victory token.
"Duel of the Fates" - Defeat a unit with at least one Force upgrade slot using a unit with at least one Force upgrade slot.
"All I am surrounded by is fear." - Defeat 2 trooper units with a commander or operative unit in a single game.
"I've got a bad feeling about this." - Blank out [roll no symbols] on a pool of 8 or more of any combination of dice.
"Now I am the master" - Win a game against an opponent who you previously lost to.
Mechanized Combat - Defeat a heavy unit with another heavy unit.
"Hokey Religions and Ancient Weapons" - Defeat a trooper with at least one Force upgrade icon with a commander or operative that has no Force upgrade icons.
"It's just... people." - Win a game where your army contains zero unique (•) units or upgrades.
"It's over Anakin" - Make an attack from the highest point on the game board that can be occupied by a model.
"Now this is podracing." Have one or more models in your opponent's deployment zone during the first game round.

“Never tell me the odds” - make a large number of saves (4+, white dice only maybe?) with a single unit, vs a single attack.

“Fly casual” - never take an aim action with a flying unit, maybe? Or never make a double-move. After all, no rush, no pressure :)

Not sure what to call it, maybe “betrayed and murdered”? Defeat Anakin with Darth Vader.

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

Icon Of Sin posted:

Not sure what to call it, maybe “betrayed and murdered”? Defeat Anakin with Darth Vader.
How about "Anakin Skywalker was weak, I destroyed him." From Rebels?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

"Hello there" infiltrate three units.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
"From a Certain Point Of View:" something about hitting a model where you only have a small window of LOS or only a small amount of the model is showing, IDK how the targeting rules work in Legion these days.

"You Overestimate Their Chances!:" something about a comeback win

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

"I've endangered the mission, I shouldn't have come" - Have an enemy model with a force upgrade slot move into melee combat with a friendly model with a Force upgrade slot.

"You look like you could tear the ears off a gundark" - Have a commander or operative survive an enemy attack action with one wound remaining.

"Bring me the Hydrospanner!" - successfully remove a vehicle damage token after it has been applied.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

First night, was fun.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

X-posting

TotalHell posted:

Can't say I love doing lightsabers and their related OSL, but I gave it my best.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hello there.

(Your OSL is on point)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That's rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Another cross-post.

TotalHell posted:

Hello there.