Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Deviant posted:

hello yes i would like to pay your mother for a pair of VW plaid pillows

if y’all are serious that could probably be arranged. The fabric isn’t cheap (~$80 a linear yard) but my mom’s a wicked good (hobbyist) seamstress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ok Comboomer posted:

if y’all are serious that could probably be arranged. The fabric isn’t cheap (~$80 a linear yard) but my mom’s a wicked good (hobbyist) seamstress

I would have to hear a quote. I like the idea, but I'm not made of money for much more novelty stuff right now. Thanks, RTX 3090.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I’m pretty serious, two plaid throw pillows would be sick

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If you want a manual get a manual. I own one of the best manual transmissions to grace the face of the earth and I never gave a poo poo about the one in my mk7 GTI. I don't even pay attention to it. I just prefer to row my own gears even if the transmission isn't that great.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A Ford Mustang Mach-e GT counts as a hot hatch, right

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

A Ford Mustang Mach-e GT counts as a hot hatch, right

by that logic a Tesla Model 3 is more of a hot hatch

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

C4-C7 corvettes are hot hatches. Unless they’re a convertible or a coupe.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

C4-C7 corvettes are hot hatches. Unless they’re a convertible or a coupe.

C7 has better trunk space than the Camaro

Hatchy

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ok Comboomer posted:

I'm interested in this as well, depending on price

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Talked to a local tune shop about stage one for the GTI and was quoted about 400 and change for the APR module and something to the tune of 80 bucks for labor. They also advised getting something similar for the DSG to better handle the tweaks in power, so about a grand all said and done. Does that sound about right to everyone?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Warbird posted:

Talked to a local tune shop about stage one for the GTI and was quoted about 400 and change for the APR module and something to the tune of 80 bucks for labor. They also advised getting something similar for the DSG to better handle the tweaks in power, so about a grand all said and done. Does that sound about right to everyone?

That’s pretty typical for the scope and pricing. APR tunes are flashed for what it’s worth, and DSG tunes adjust shift points and generally make it behave more “aggressively”. I don’t know if those are flashed too, but I think they are.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Whatever you get, make sure its not a crackle tune.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Unless they are giving you some kind of package deal, I would get the DSG tune later if your not happy with the way the transmission is performing.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I would get the DSG tune, people say it is way better than the current D and S modes which both have real drawbacks. It sounds like you can get the aggressive shifts of S mode without it being jerky on downshifts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Jackie Ding 2018 Civic Si hatchback is for sale, he is asking $24k

Probably not a terrible deal if it isn't completely destroyed

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 24, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
More questions from “trying to buy a used GTI without paying too close to new car prices”-land, this time about exhausts!

Ok Comboomer posted:

One of the cars I’m looking at is a 2016 SE w/ Perf Pack. 80k miles for $18k, one of the less expensive cars I’ve seen although slightly higher in miles than I’d like, but that’s kind of where my budget is unless I want to start spending $26k+ all-in.

Quite clean, passed all its inspections and poo poo, good maintenance schedule + carfax, drives well...so far so good aside from an aftermarket spoiler adhered to the factory spoiler (it was done well and shouldn’t be difficult to remove with the right solvent + 25 min of elbow grease) and a relatively tasteful and restrained aftermarket exhaust/catback.

If I can save like $1-2 grand over the next most similar car (2017 SE, ~75k miles, fresh brake rotors, new 2021 rims on it that look sweet, but probably wouldn’t have been my first choice, they want like $20k for it) I’ve seen of late, should I be open minded about it? Or should I walk away just on the principle that it has mods?

I figure if I really hate the muffler I can get a stock one for ~$100 and the labor can’t be prohibitively expensive right? Is this a decent idea to save some coin or am I playing with fire? Like even throwing $2k into fixing up whatever this car might need (doesn’t seem like it needs very much at all) vs spending that money on a similar car from another dealer seems like a decent idea right?

The car wasn’t excessively tarted up- just the exhaust and spoiler. Still a red flag?

Edit: also wondering if I should just avoid a 2016 for the turbo failure issues. Although if/when it goes I can take the money saved and fix it.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 25, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What brand is the exhaust?

Personally the aftermarket spoiler and exhaust would lend me to think the car has been owned by the type of person to drive it hard, but if it’s a quality spoiler installed well and the exhaust is a reputable brand, perhaps it’s a thoughtful owner. If it’s some eBay special then I’m out.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
If they did anything significant to it, it would have been flashed for a tune. If that bothers you, you can call your local VW dealer and see if they will check to see if the ECU has been flashed. You can also get the VIN and call the popular tuners and see if the car is flashed. If it doesn't bother you, test drive it, you may be able to tell if it has been flashed if you have driven one before. A flash will be harder on the turbo and other parts, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily going to fail.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
the worm turns (also dad’s more on board now that I talked to him)

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ok. Ok scratch the previous post. I just saw a 2017 GTI Sport, with OEM Clubsport muffler and intake to make it sound like Rice Krispies, but subtly and tastefully.

Impeccably clean, long/detailed service record, 87k miles for ~$19500. No extra fees, they’re replacing the front bumper after I pointed out a crack in the trim. ~$21500 all-in with taxes, delivery, plates, etc.

Best car I’ve seen within my budget. So I put down a refundable deposit. Why not, I say. Worst case Ontario, I tell ‘em nah on Monday and they put $500 back on my credit card.

Well now I got my dad yelling at me on the phone telling me that it’s “way too many miles, and way too many miles for $20 grand” and that I should finance $4-5k more to get something with fewer miles, like between 40 and 60k.

Thoughts? I spent all week looking at cars in the 50-80k range and getting all-ins of $24.5, $25, $26k- which is a few thou more than I wanted to spend.

Like even if I have to do a clutch job or any number of other things in the emergent future, it would still be less than the ~$4k I’m saving, right?

Like if the car is otherwise in excellent shape?

Anyway am I being dumb or should I just buy this car? I can afford a bit more, I’d be comfortable all-in in the $23-24k range but I don’t wanna keep chasing cars like this to gain 10k/20k miles for $2-3 thousand if the gain is more academic than practical, while paying $250/week at this point for a rental, and with the market doing what it’s doing, etc. Plus the insurance premium is lower, right?

This is the closest to getting everything that I want in terms of trim, etc. I didn’t think I’d like the exhaust but it’s OEM and done at a dealer.

I just don’t want to buy a car that will deteriorate faster/sooner or need a bunch of work. I plan to put a lot of miles on it (15-20k/yr), but I’m coming from two very clean high-mileage cars that I took to ~200k so high miles don’t really phase me. The SE I saw yesterday had an all-in of $24,500 and it had 79k miles, and this is undoubtedly a better deal for me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there any reason you aren't shopping private party? If it is because of getting a loan you can still do that PP.

Idk, I avoid spending the ~10% tax whenever possible.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there any reason you aren't shopping private party? If it is because of getting a loan you can still do that PP.

Idk, I avoid spending the ~10% tax whenever possible.

because I don’t have the time to wait and there literally aren’t any to be had in my area. I needed a car two weeks ago. I’ve reached out to five PP ads and exactly one responded to tell me that he sold the car last month and that the listing was “a mistake”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my number one advice for you in this entire thing is to not get your dad involved in this decision

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my number one advice for you in this entire thing is to not get your dad involved in this decision

Ok but what about the car

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Ok Comboomer posted:

the worm turns (also dad’s more on board now that I talked to him)

My 2011 has less miles than that

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I mean in your heart you know the car's been driven hard, but the question is do you actually care?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Any used hot hatch you buy has been driven hard, who else is buying these things?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I bought a 19 FiST that some guy put bilsteins in, drove 1400 miles total, then sold. Unicorns do exist.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I bought a 19 FiST that some guy put bilsteins in, drove 1400 miles total, then sold. Unicorns do exist.

That’s because his girlfriend gave birth in the backseat and you just have no idea.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
And isn’t the deal with super-low mile manual cars that half of them are fine and half of them were an aborted attempt at Babby’s First Stick and the inside of the transmission looks like it’s got 200k miles on it instead of 5k?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Could be. This one came from Florida to Michigan, and the owner probably wanted something bigger for the winter. You run the risk of someone abusing the transmission with any manual car though, so why even worry about it?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

And isn’t the deal with super-low mile manual cars that half of them are fine and half of them were an aborted attempt at Babby’s First Stick and the inside of the transmission looks like it’s got 200k miles on it instead of 5k?

That could be the case with any used manual transmission car, only with the higher mileage ones they've got an even longer window. Mileage isn't really a good indicator of the PO's abilities driving the thing. All you can really do is assess how it's working currently. An oil analysis might help gain an understanding of the condition, but that's not really realistic for a used car purchase even before the market became what it is now.

As far as the purchase goes, I'd say you're probably right that a higher mileage car isn't likely to cost that much more over the long run than a lower mileage one. Though lower miles are more desirable, there's really only so much you can do in your position. So if you're set on a GTI, then go with the best example you can find within your time and budget constraints.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

What market are you buying in again? Like, whereabouts are you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

thehouseplant posted:

What market are you buying in again? Like, whereabouts are you.

New England

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

drat. Opposite end of the country. For the prices you're seeing, even I'm considering unloading mine now, and it's half the mileage that you are seeing.

Just crazy how bad the market is.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

thehouseplant posted:

drat. Opposite end of the country. For the prices you're seeing, even I'm considering unloading mine now, and it's half the mileage that you are seeing.

Just crazy how bad the market is.

If the price is good and the car is good and it fits into my budget I’ll fly to you and drive it back. But only for a goon.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

If the price is good and the car is good and it fits into my budget I’ll fly to you and drive it back. But only for a goon.

Got DMs on here, or an email? I'll ping you some more details and see if it's still your cup of tea.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

thehouseplant posted:

Got DMs on here, or an email? I'll ping you some more details and see if it's still your cup of tea.

I have DMs, send me some Good News

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

by that logic a Tesla Model 3 is more of a hot hatch

a model 3 doesn't have a hatch though did you mean model s

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

stop talking about teslas

or the weird tesla defenders will log on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deviant posted:

stop talking about teslas

or the weird tesla defenders will log on

It’s a fine car. If we’re gonna start chucking stones at people because the management at the companies making the cars they like do embarrassing poo poo then throw out all the VAG people over Hitler and Dieselgate and throw out all the FiSTers because Henry was literally a nazi