Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It still is almost guaranteed to be the best selling mainline SMT game just due to the Switch’s install base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah there was some news article thing I saw about a sixteen-year-old who made 2 million dollars in 2020 by starting a "reselling business" and then you look through it and he's buying PS5s and Xboxes and Pokemon cards and Im like hm, interesting that they decided to frame this as a reselling business and not scalping. But I'm imagining this must be a huge industry. Saw that one of the weirder things he was "reselling" was large backyard inflatable pools, because we used to get calls every day at the hardware store asking if we had any pools because apparently everywhere else was out, so I'm wondering how he would have gotten that info that buying up pools was a good investment before the point where stock issues would have made it non-feasible to build up a stash. Wonder of there's some sort of big rear end in a top hat scalping discord where people share insider tips and bots that auto-purchase poo poo like the Ticketmaster scalpers use

Ethiser posted:

It still is almost guaranteed to be the best selling mainline SMT game just due to the Switch’s install base.

I don't know if this is such a huge deal because every other mainline SMT game of the last however many years has been on the DS/3DS, which were basically the Switch equivalent of their generation in terms of Japanese userbase

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I was a latecomer to the franchise (unless you count the Last Bible game that was localized on GBC) and I just finished the Obelisk (first trip) on my first ever Nocturne playthough. Gotta say how much more I'm enjoying the earlier PCRPG dungeon design compared to 4 and 4A. I'd imagine that's probably not coming back in 5 though.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I mean, the DS technically had a larger one (Strange Journey), and the 3DS wasn't much smaller either. I still think it will likely be the highest selling SMT game in the west, but the biggest thing is the expanded series popularity because of Persona 5.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, the PS2 was pretty fuckin' popular and Atlus poo poo out SMT games on that thing like nobody's business, I think the series is just higher profile now

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I was a latecomer to the franchise (unless you count the Last Bible game that was localized on GBC) and I just finished the Obelisk (first trip) on my first ever Nocturne playthough. Gotta say how much more I'm enjoying the earlier PCRPG dungeon design compared to 4 and 4A. I'd imagine that's probably not coming back in 5 though.

If you finish the game and find yourself wanting more retro PCRPG dungeon flavor, you can always go pick up Strange Journey Redux and Soul Hackers for the 3DS.

But yeah 5 appear to be going for a more Trials of Mana remake-style areas, but I only use that example because that's what I'm currently playing and I'm sure there are probably more relevant examples y'all could come up with.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Wonder of there's some sort of big rear end in a top hat scalping discord where people share insider tips and bots that auto-purchase poo poo like the Ticketmaster scalpers use

yes to all of the above, except it's not one discord it's dozens

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'm in one where you can pay a subscription for bots to alert you of stock for all trading card types. Specifically, Pokemon has been extremely hard to get this year for MSRP. But sports cards also has high value.

No I did not pay for a subscription nor do I plan to. Welcome to the future of e-commerce.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

On one hand I would wonder if SMT5 could be more popular than Persona, but thinking about it, I haven't seen ANYONE talking about Persona 5 Strikers, and yeah its a spinoff but still. Seems like excitement for that game is non-existant

Strikers sold over 1.5 million, it did extremely well

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Journey Redux first impressions

The intro cutscene was pretty good
The new artwork is pretty bad, everyone looks weird and shiny. Like GI Joes instead of people
The music sounds much better coming out of the 3DS than it did on DS
I still don't like the Co-op system, It just feels awkward.
It's nice to have some challenge again though. I died 3 times in Antilla which is the same number of times I gamed over in II.

I just wish people would shut up, there's so many :words: in this game. I just want to play

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm in one where you can pay a subscription for bots to alert you of stock for all trading card types. Specifically, Pokemon has been extremely hard to get this year for MSRP. But sports cards also has high value.

No I did not pay for a subscription nor do I plan to. Welcome to the future of e-commerce.

We had to start locking up all our trading cards at work because the theft was out of control. Entire shelf was empty for a month because of it. A couple of people would come in and buy $200 - $300 worth of packs at a time when we had stock in. poo poo's crazy.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i only ever got partway through smt2 before dropping it a couple of years ago but imo chaos is probably the nicest ending in that what with helping out the mutants and stuff vs neutral just feeling like a :effort: copy paste of 1's

i hope atlus decides to tl gba smt2 someday too...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtO_gfOqMrY

Video comments point out that this is like the eighth time this bird has gotten it's name changed and Atlus themselves probably have forgotten what exactly it's supposed to be (a phoenix? the vermilion bird? both?)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Booky posted:

i only ever got partway through smt2 before dropping it a couple of years ago but imo chaos is probably the nicest ending in that what with helping out the mutants and stuff vs neutral just feeling like a :effort: copy paste of 1's

Plz just let me play my ios SMT1 again, I paid for it Atlus...

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Funky Valentine posted:

Video comments point out that this is like the eighth time this bird has gotten it's name changed and Atlus themselves probably have forgotten what exactly it's supposed to be (a phoenix? the vermilion bird? both?)

Phoenix is a separate entity altogether and has appeared alongside feng huang/suzaku in previous games. They just seem to shift between using chinese/japanese for the celestial animals for some reason.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don’t remember much of that, what was the part that rang most true?

One thing that really stood out to me after watching the anime Devilman Crybaby was seemingly how much influence the whole thing had over SMT. Story beats, mood, mythology, people going from high schoolers to gods and what happens

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol if you don't still have it downloaded on your unapdated iPhone 4. I've never even opened it.

Booky posted:

Neutral being barebones is a fair criticism, but the mutants are fine in Neutral as well. Aleph is the defacto ruler of Tokyo Millennium and I don't think he would have any trouble telling them they could settle in former Valhalla.

It's one of the nicer Chaos endings, but it still comes at the cost of all the people in Millennium, or at least Holytown being killed by Lucifer draining their power to activate Kuzryuu.

And while what he's saying sounds nice about everyone having freedom, you've also ensured that the two beings more powerful and opposed to him have been killed, and you're at least somewhat allied with lucifer. Considering Aleph has a human lifespan, and Lucifer doesn't and also has been known to play the long game, you could easily argue Lucy will keep things generally peaceful right up until he doesn't have to and he can take YHVH's place.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6129/

Here's the next best thing, the iOS translation patched into the GBA version?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Its just 鳳凰 (houou) in Japanese, which is the Japanese name for Fenghuang, the legendary Chinese bird. Usually it is "Fenghuang" in English as it obviously takes from Chinese while Japanese basically comes from a 5th century borrowing with lots of changes over time to both languages, plus the limited Japanese phonology.

AFAIK, Atlus has always used this in the Japanese version, there is no reason not to. Atlus' localizers are the ones who did the funny business. For some reason they called it "Phoenix" in Persona 4, 5, and DDS 2 and "red wing" the Demikids game they actually localized. And Suzaku was incorrectly translated as Feng Huang in basically every mainline game. The fan translation of SMT 1 went with "Ho-oh" as a literal translation, which is probably a bad decision since most people would associate it with the Pokemon (whose name literally comes from that bird as well), and virtually every English source takes the Chinese name.

Beyond all of this, don't assume any Atlus name decision from the fan translator creating the subtitles. They just did the correct translation decision here. It remains to be see if Atlus finally translates it correctly.

Edit: added a paragraph talking about the history of localization decisions as I googled it.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 26, 2021

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MegaZeroX posted:

Its just 鳳凰 (houou) in Japanese, which is the Japanese name for Fenghuang, the legendary Chinese bird. Usually it is "Fenghuang" in English as it obviously takes from Chinese while Japanese basically comes from a 5th century borrowing with lots of changes over time to both languages, plus the limited Japanese phonology.

AFAIK, Atlus has always used this in the Japanese version, there is no reason not to. Atlus' localizers are the ones who did the funny business. For some reason they called it "Phoenix" in Persona 4, 5, and DDS 2 and "red wing" the Demikids game they actually localized. And Suzaku was incorrectly translated as Feng Huang in basically every mainline game. The fan translation of SMT 1 went with "Ho-oh" as a literal translation, which is probably a bad decision since most people would associate it with the Pokemon (whose name literally comes from that bird as well), and virtually every English source takes the Chinese name.

Beyond all of this, don't assume any Atlus name decision from the fan translator creating the subtitles. They just did the correct translation decision here. It remains to be see if Atlus finally translates it correctly.

Edit: added a paragraph talking about the history of localization decisions as I googled it.

If you want to get more annoyed, some variants of the 4 symbols myth actually consider Fenghuang and Zhu Qe to be the same bird. So Atlus wasn't necessarily wrong in their mistakes.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Now that the game is coming to a close I need to seriously look at getting my Demon compendium more bolstered. Went to the cathedral to check on my current progress and I’m at just under 50%...

I’m gonna be blowing a lot of money on this probably...

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Spiffster posted:

Now that the game is coming to a close I need to seriously look at getting my Demon compendium more bolstered. Went to the cathedral to check on my current progress and I’m at just under 50%...

There are a lot of secret special fusions in Nocturne if you want to complete it, so I recommend using this chart which lists the obtainable demons and their fusion requirements.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiffster posted:

To be honest you may want to consider if your time is less valuable than just spending the money for the Grind Money DLC. Yeah it's kind of cheaty but in the case of what you're doing it is basically just replacing time.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

One of the big things that stop me from giving Strange Journey Redux another go is just how insanely slow and boring the first few hours of the game are. An unbelievable amount of talking

Also yeah I absolutely hate the new art

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alex certainly has an entrance doesn't she.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

One of the big things that stop me from giving Strange Journey Redux another go is just how insanely slow and boring the first few hours of the game are. An unbelievable amount of talking

Also yeah I absolutely hate the new art

I no joke think I saw more dialogue in the first two hours than I had all of the mandatory dialogue in SMTII. Sometimes less is more devs. I know you guys wanted to do your own Day After Tomorrow/Armageddon disaster movie, but holy poo poo do I not need you to explain how we got to the Schwarzweldt.

I'm also getting a bit scared that the game is going to be too easy, even on expert. Seeing all demon Resistances, and having unlimited SubApp's really changes the battle and field difficulty. Hopefully the new content is suitably balanced

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest you may want to consider if your time is less valuable than just spending the money for the Grind Money DLC. Yeah it's kind of cheaty but in the case of what you're doing it is basically just replacing time.

Yeah I ended up using both cheat DLC for the achievements for the remaster, since you need complete all Magatamas, max out the demi-fiend's stats, and complete the compendium.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm using the Grimoire dungeon to level High Pixie into Queen Mab.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm using the Grimoire dungeon to level High Pixie into Queen Mab.

One mean thing I found out when I did this is that when High Pixie evolves into Queen Mab, she doesn't get Queen Mab's initial set of skills. I gave High Pixie Elec Boost thinking Queen Mab would get Ziodyne upon transforming and was disappointed when it didn't happen.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Strange Journey Redux first impressions

The intro cutscene was pretty good
The new artwork is pretty bad, everyone looks weird and shiny. Like GI Joes instead of people
The music sounds much better coming out of the 3DS than it did on DS
I still don't like the Co-op system, It just feels awkward.
It's nice to have some challenge again though. I died 3 times in Antilla which is the same number of times I gamed over in II.

I just wish people would shut up, there's so many :words: in this game. I just want to play

It's true they talk too much sometimes, but it's nice to have an RPG where people approach problems rationally.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is there a good Magatama guide out there? Like is there an optimal path to go? Also am I screwed if I don't have certain Magatama equipped at certain levels?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

E2M2 posted:

Is there a good Magatama guide out there? Like is there an optimal path to go? Also am I screwed if I don't have certain Magatama equipped at certain levels?

each magatama skill has a minimum level to learn it, but you can always switch off of it and switch back to it without losing anything. The only time anything is lost is when you get the option to learn a skill but decline to replace one of your existing skills with it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Also any skill you delete is gone permanently.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nocturne's low successful negotiation rate is really grating after all these years aaa

gently caress me, I don't think I've recruited a new demon in like 2 hours

STOP GIVING ME LIFE STONES ASSHOLES

Artelier fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 27, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Artelier posted:

Nocturne's low successful negotiation rate is really grating after all these years aaa

pay me
pay me
give me an item

...fine. Answer this 50/50 question.

Wrong!

Bye, Fucker!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Artelier posted:

I'll be honest, I never really liked the negotiation system and never had a very good success rate in any SMT game. I mostly just spend a lot of money on the Compendium. I honestly prefer the auctions from Devil Survivor or Shuffle Time from P3 and P4 as a means of expanding your roster.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Commander Keene posted:

I'll be honest, I never really liked the negotiation system and never had a very good success rate in any SMT game. I mostly just spend a lot of money on the Compendium. I honestly prefer the auctions from Devil Survivor or Shuffle Time from P3 and P4 as a means of expanding your roster.

P5R's negotiation system is the best in the series by far. There's four demon personality archetypes, and four response archetypes, and you have to match up responses to personality like a little dialogue puzzle. I took at picture of the chart it shows you at the beginning of the game and had to refer back to it pretty often, but using that I was able to figure out the correct responses basically every time.

Brandfarlig posted:

...fine. Answer this 50/50 question.

Sometimes it's a 0/0 question with no right answer!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The fun SMT4 trick I came across tonight is to fundraise a stunned enemy. MC just walks up and mugs them without hesitation while they scream in complaint.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Artelier posted:

gently caress me, I don't think I've recruited a new demon in like 2 hours

STOP GIVING ME LIFE STONES ASSHOLES

it ownas

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I think 4/a has the best system. You have a good chance at getting a demon at the base level, but if you invest in the apps negotiation can be really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Negotiating in Nocturne absolutely sucks rear end when using the default skill, but boy is it satisfying when Seduce / Kidnap / etc works immediately on their 'correct' targets.

Also very much enjoying Dionysus stepping in to calm everyone down with a drink.