Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

KinkyJohn posted:

The main area where more performance can be used is always VR. High frame rate requirements, in combination with 8k resolution, and then you double that.

That too, the reverb g2 seems to make the 3090 struggle at times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

KinkyJohn posted:

The main area where more performance can be used is always VR. High frame rate requirements, in combination with 8k resolution, and then you double that.

Even in VR I don’t think you’re going to see much pushing the limits with the dual issues of needing high framerates and PC VR being a niche within a niche as standalone VR grows. But it’s an area where you can still show gains even if it’s a generation or 2 away from now.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Paul MaudDib posted:

the style of music will obviously be called “tensorcore”

:discourse:

I wanna go into a rant about how our perception of harmony and rhythm is far more intolernat to disruption than our visual system but I won't because I'm just not that big of a nerd anymore (begins to lecture to an imaginary class under the shower). Wanna get some tensorcore regardless of whether it's good or bad.

blunt posted:

It's a very cool tech demo but it's no where near production ready atm - renders are limited to 512x512 and are pretty heavily artifacted:

My sister graduated from art/design in the early 2000s and this looks a lot like what she did at the time. She was imitating collage-style artwork on the computer. You know, composing images by cropping, cutting, and pasting other images together. She'd often mash up landscapes and big things from lots of little things, which gave them a surreal quality. Now we have networks like DeepDream that automate this part and this Nvidia demo that does it on the fly. It's insanely cool.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

GPU manufacturers always overestimate PSU requirements to cover for people have bad PSU's. Presuming you have a decent quality PSU, you should have no issues at all.

This has led to the unfortunate consequence of some hardware people not even giving you advice until you have a 2kw PSU installed to power for 1030Ti because of course your system won't run underpowered like that

e: I'm trying but it's not easy getting gotase out of this app

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 27, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wasn’t Tensor Core in Portal 2?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Really doesn't take long to get something neat looking. But you really feel how the app steers you towards shapes that it understands. Really looks like some '90s-RPG background art.

edit: POV you're creating a new settlement in a 1996 strategy game

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 27, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That image gives me FFVIII Winhill vibes

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yes, I actually had to cancel my asus TUF non-oc order from ocuk at their staff's urging because it didn't show up even after five months.
The whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth, and my faith in phyre promises shattered.
When I put my TUF non-oc order up, it took more than three months to get fulfilled.

And for all intents and purposes, it was a dropship. Because Asus shipped it as singular item to the shop I've ordered it. They just put it as-is, all with the original UPS code still on it, in their own packaging when forwarding it to me. Means the shop didn't even get a pallet of things, just single cards.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That image gives me FFVIII Winhill vibes

I kinda really love it

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If they were to modify that to draw top-down landscapes it would be a fantastic tool for whipping up tabletop RPG maps.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
They would probably have to retrain it with sat and airplane photos. But it could be done

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

shrike82 posted:

i'm currently on two 27" 1440P144 monitors for gaming/coding.

Did Nvidia ever fix the "two monitors must be the same refresh rate" thing? I've read that a new Windows setting solves it, but it was hearsay.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Craptacular! posted:

Did Nvidia ever fix the "two monitors must be the same refresh rate" thing? I've read that a new Windows setting solves it, but it was hearsay.

I’m not sure if I’m aware of the problem, but I have two 27” 1440p monitors and one is 170hz and one is 60hz and I can game fine on the former with proper refresh rates. So maybe it’s fixed?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Functionally it's fine, the problem was it prevented the card from entering its lowest power state on the desktop

I dunno if it's fixed now, it's been fixed before and regressed after a while

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

When was this last known to be a problem? I ran a dual monitor setup on a 1060 for a while and it seemed fine? Maybe I just never noticed, on account of being on a 1060 that never got more than 60fps in anything anyway.

edit: oh, then I probably wouldn't have noticed if it was an issue with power states.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

repiv posted:

Functionally it's fine, the problem was it prevented the card from entering its lowest power state on the desktop

I dunno if it's fixed now, it's been fixed before and regressed after a while

My understanding was it was an issue where both monitors synced to the lowest refresh available. So if you played a 60FPS movie on a 60hz monitor and a video game on a 144hz monitor, the game would be capped at 60FPS. I remember reading posts about it ITT to a friend and so he bought double 1440p/144hz monitors. I'm buying my second such gaming monitor, and want to sell my first to help fund it and instead use a 15 year old 4:3 monitor for Twitch chat or whatever.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 27, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

njsykora posted:

Even in VR I don’t think you’re going to see much pushing the limits with the dual issues of needing high framerates and PC VR being a niche within a niche as standalone VR grows. But it’s an area where you can still show gains even if it’s a generation or 2 away from now.

Maybe the screen manufacturers can try again to convince everyone they need to upgrade to a 3D TV/monitor

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Craptacular! posted:

My understanding was it was an issue where both monitors synced to the lowest refresh available. So if you played a 60FPS movie on a 60hz monitor and a video game on a 144hz monitor, the game would be capped at 60FPS. I remember reading posts about it ITT to a friend and so he bought double 1440p/144hz monitors. I'm buying my second such gaming monitor, and want to sell my first to help fund it and instead use a 15 year old 4:3 monitor for Twitch chat or whatever.

This. Do anything on a 60 Hz monitor 2 and it would make monitor 1 sync to 60 Hz regardless of its actual refresh rate. Also it was a windows problem (DWM limitation) more than it was a nvidia problem because it happened on AMD cards too, it has been significantly improved in the most recent windows 10 updates. You may occasionally still run into hiccups where the faster monitor reduces its refresh rate while something is animating on the slower monitor, but it will be less frequent and doesn't last as long when it does happen. Previously the faster monitor would sync to 60 Hz and stay there until whatever was on the slower monitor stopped or was closed. And almost anything could set it off, for instance having almost any "modern" app from the windows app store even open would force all monitors to 60 Hz even if the modern app isn't actually doing anything.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Indiana_Krom posted:

This. Do anything on a 60 Hz monitor 2 and it would make monitor 1 sync to 60 Hz regardless of its actual refresh rate. Also it was a windows problem (DWM limitation) more than it was a nvidia problem because it happened on AMD cards too, it has been significantly improved in the most recent windows 10 updates. You may occasionally still run into hiccups where the faster monitor reduces its refresh rate while something is animating on the slower monitor, but it will be less frequent and doesn't last as long when it does happen. Previously the faster monitor would sync to 60 Hz and stay there until whatever was on the slower monitor stopped or was closed. And almost anything could set it off, for instance having almost any "modern" app from the windows app store even open would force all monitors to 60 Hz even if the modern app isn't actually doing anything.

I saw that the "Graphics Settings" in the latest Windows 10 updates have a "Variable Refresh Rate" switch now and it was rumored turning this on fixes the problem. I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience before I start throwing money around.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I ran a custom fan curve on my 3070 FE to test what kind of temps it would hit at 100% fan speed under load (cranked ray tracing in Control and ran it at 1440p without DLSS), and it sounded like a rocket taking off, jesus. All to keep temps at like 74 C in an ITX case.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Just noticed on the UK web shops like overclockers/CCL.
They have 30XX cards in stock and they aren't disappearing. All available for a silly price but still available...
Could this be another that its all starting to end now?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

wibble posted:

Just noticed on the UK web shops like overclockers/CCL.
They have 30XX cards in stock and they aren't disappearing. All available for a silly price but still available...
Could this be another that its all starting to end now?

You can thank the CCP for that, they cracked down on mining and it's had a big shock. The chip shortage is still a problem

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The UK also banned one of the big exchanges from trading in the country. Cards have been hanging in stock for a short while now so all we're really waiting for is for the prices to start coming down, that's not a thing that's guaranteed to happen though given these sites probably paid inflated prices for the cards from distributors and they're probably not going to eat a loss on them until they absolutely have to.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

I think refresh rates that weren't divisible with each other caused this problem but 60 & 120 hz didn't cause problems - Well, at least regards to stuttering in games. I had this problem for the longest time with my 75 hz and two 60 hz monitors and I just ended up using Microsoft's garage project "Mouse Without Borders" to attach my secondary and tertiary monitor to a laptop and seamlessly move mouse between two PCs. It seems to be solved now (by this?) but I still see Twitch/Youtube become unwatchable if I end up in an intensive scene in a game. Regardless what browser and whether I'm running with hardware acceleration on or off in browser :sigh:

But that's partially probably due to my aging RX 480 paired with a 5600x.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Really doesn't take long to get something neat looking. But you really feel how the app steers you towards shapes that it understands. Really looks like some '90s-RPG background art.

edit: POV you're creating a new settlement in a 1996 strategy game

See, to me these look absolutely perfect as thumbnails in info windows for points of interest on a game map and I would absolutely use them that way today.

But I’m on a 1070 so I think this particular trick is beyond my reach. :negative:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

See, to me these look absolutely perfect as thumbnails in info windows for points of interest on a game map and I would absolutely use them that way today.

But I’m on a 1070 so I think this particular trick is beyond my reach. :negative:

Same. Maybe in half a decade I'll finally be able to get an RTX card and try this out after they discontinue the app.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I haven’t had any drivers issues specific to the multi monitor setup. Instead, there’s been a persistent issue in Ubuntu for me where running Nvidia-smi (think GPU monitoring) in a shell causes graphics stuttering.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
:norway: Just a tip for anyone needing a card in Norway/Scandinavia: Check the restock section ("demovare") on popular online retailers. The cards there are slightly above the US MSRP, but they're well below the Norwegian MSRP, actually in stock, and also below the secondhand listings on finn.no. I checked an Asus 3060 Gaming OC that is listed for 8000 NOK on Finn.no used, and there are multiple restocked cards being sold at 5350 NOK.

Restocks might just be an unsealed retail box with everything in it, or it could even be a card that had its cooler repaired or something.

Vir fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 28, 2021

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Wow. The 3080 does not like being on a balanced power plan, for whatever reason - pulling almost 1/3 under where it should be in Time Spy. Flipped it onto high and it immediately starts kicking out figures more in line with the rest of the Internet.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

A gpu-less shuffle. Incredible.

Are ryzen even hard to find anymore??

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lol apparently I got in the EVGA queue for a 3060 ti back in December and totally forgot until I just got an email about being shunted to the LHR line

Edit: looking at the queue sheet someone made, no one has gotten once since December, incredible

change my name fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 28, 2021

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Trip Report from Microcenter. If you’re not in the know, Microcenter is doing a queue system now where you show up, scan a QR code, then enter your vitals to get a place in line. Just before the store opens you’ll get a text telling you if you are getting a card or not. Once you ‘win’ you’re assigned a spot in line, and after that it’s first come first serve.

10 minutes to claim your spot once the text goes out, and if you want a specific chipset or SKU it can be luck of the draw, but if you get a spot you at least won’t be empty handed.

Today in Cambridge, Massachusetts they had quite few NVIDA 30 series cards…they might have had some AMD ones as well but my brain would have glossed over those. The QR sign had a list of stock…it was something like 10x 3090, 10x 3090 TI, 10x 3080, 10x 3080 TI, you get the idea. I think they only had 2x of the 3070/3070 TI, so that would have been a hard one to lay hands on.

I scored a place in line and was actually #2 to pick, but I wanted a vanilla 3080 so my future would have been reasonably secure even quite a ways back in line. FWIW, the Cambridge QR period is 9:00 am to 9:30 am, and while there was some activity there it didn’t seem like a big crowd. I feel like anyone who got there in the window probably had a chance to buy a card, and the miscellaneous crowd who were hoping for stock after opening probably did OK as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gameko posted:

Trip Report from Microcenter. If you’re not in the know, Microcenter is doing a queue system now where you show up, scan a QR code, then enter your vitals to get a place in line. Just before the store opens you’ll get a text telling you if you are getting a card or not. Once you ‘win’ you’re assigned a spot in line, and after that it’s first come first serve.

10 minutes to claim your spot once the text goes out, and if you want a specific chipset or SKU it can be luck of the draw, but if you get a spot you at least won’t be empty handed.

Today in Cambridge, Massachusetts they had quite few NVIDA 30 series cards…they might have had some AMD ones as well but my brain would have glossed over those. The QR sign had a list of stock…it was something like 10x 3090, 10x 3090 TI, 10x 3080, 10x 3080 TI, you get the idea. I think they only had 2x of the 3070/3070 TI, so that would have been a hard one to lay hands on.

I scored a place in line and was actually #2 to pick, but I wanted a vanilla 3080 so my future would have been reasonably secure even quite a ways back in line. FWIW, the Cambridge QR period is 9:00 am to 9:30 am, and while there was some activity there it didn’t seem like a big crowd. I feel like anyone who got there in the window probably had a chance to buy a card, and the miscellaneous crowd who were hoping for stock after opening probably did OK as well.

I love that place, I hope it never goes out of business

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

change my name posted:

Lol apparently I got in the EVGA queue for a 3060 ti back in December and totally forgot until I just got an email about being shunted to the LHR line

Edit: looking at the queue sheet someone made, no one has gotten once since December, incredible

just got another for 08G-P5-3755-KR

would it loving kill them to tell you what model that is? (3070)

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 28, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah just got the same email for 10G-P5-3881-KL which is a 3080, I think?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I got one too and have zero recollection of signing up for a notification queue position, since I jumped in the step up queue as quickly as I could and have had my 3080 since March now. I wonder how easy it is to accidentally sign up for a “notify me” if you’re logged into your EVGA account.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Gameko posted:

This is fantastic and the best possible way to deal with a situation as constrained as this

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gameko posted:

What were their prices like?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What were their prices like?

https://www.microcenter.com/product...0-graphics-card

:shepspends:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lmao I bought my 3090 of the same company and brand for $400 less in November

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Gameko posted:

Congrats. Cambridge MC is my local store, I live about twenty minutes away. I wish they would do some of this in evening hours for us working stiffs. Unless I take a week off from work there's no chance I'd be able to spend the time to be able to do it.