Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ducktales ended at season 3, but I have heard they're going to do a similar program with Darkwing Duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Ducktales ended at season 3, but I have heard they're going to do a similar program with Darkwing Duck.

They are but weirdly it's not by the same people or even linked to/continuing the Darkwing Duck set up in Ducktales, it'll be an independent reboot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MikeJF posted:

They did keep rolling things in though, it had brief bits from the Rescue Rangers and Talespin and Goof Troop.

Apparently it was doing very well but Disney+ has a no-more-than-three-seasons-for-this-type-of-cartoon policy.

Don’t forget gargoyles!!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

MikeJF posted:

They did keep rolling things in though, it had brief bits from the Rescue Rangers and Talespin and Goof Troop.

Apparently it was doing very well but Disney+ has a no-more-than-three-seasons-for-this-type-of-cartoon policy.

I think that's a policy they've had going way back. I remember it being a big deal when Kim Possible got a fourth season.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

MikeJF posted:

They also had Martin Freeman voice Magica's brother, Poe, during an episode, so that's pretty much a Dr. Who/Sherlock crossover right there.

bobkatt013 posted:

Don’t forget gargoyles!!

The musical sting kicking in as Manny shouted he lives again...again! was absolute perfection. :allears:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"I swore I'd never do this again" :allears:

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I appreciate the spoilers for this random rear end topic. I’ve been visiting my significant other for the first time since covid hit over the past two weeks. They introduced me to the Ducktales remake knowing I loved the original as a kid.

We just got done with season 2 and I can safely say I adore it completely.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I think that's a policy they've had going way back. I remember it being a big deal when Kim Possible got a fourth season.

I think that's just a raw demographic thing. Disney figure that it takes about three years for a children's show's target audience to age out of it, so there's no point making more of it than that instead of just cycling the resources into a new show. The only exceptions you'll usually find are educational shows in Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior, probably because they have a longer shelf life and the standards they're being held to barely ever change.

It's a plainly profit-focused plan, but it makes total sense in the context of just shoveling out piles of transient animated shows with no intended appeal outside of their original demographic. Completely falls apart when you have a show that gains life outside of that.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #12 (1944)

The Amazing Spider-Man Family #8 (2009)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I think that's just a raw demographic thing. Disney figure that it takes about three years for a children's show's target audience to age out of it, so there's no point making more of it than that instead of just cycling the resources into a new show. The only exceptions you'll usually find are educational shows in Playhouse Disney/Disney Junior, probably because they have a longer shelf life and the standards they're being held to barely ever change.

It's a plainly profit-focused plan, but it makes total sense in the context of just shoveling out piles of transient animated shows with no intended appeal outside of their original demographic. Completely falls apart when you have a show that gains life outside of that.

They've also been bitten in the rear end a few times over the years. There's the consistent rumour that they actually wanted a third year of Gravity Falls, but the creator ended it. And the situation where they canned Kim Possible, did a finale movie... and response was so good they renewed the show afterwards, which put the team in an awkward position because they'd paid off the will-they-won't-they storyline in the movie.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It wasn't just Disney, and as far as anyone knows, it wasn't an official policy, but I believe the reasons for it have to do with syndication as well as having to pay voice actors more past 65 episodes due to union rules. Or at least that's how it was back when live TV was still our primary means of consuming entertainment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Argue posted:

It wasn't just Disney, and as far as anyone knows, it wasn't an official policy, but I believe the reasons for it have to do with syndication as well as having to pay voice actors more past 65 episodes due to union rules. Or at least that's how it was back when live TV was still our primary means of consuming entertainment.

Yeah, there's like a bazillion versions of Scooby Doo, but none of them have more than 50 episodes I believe. Which would have been 2 seasons back in the day.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

They've also been bitten in the rear end a few times over the years. There's the consistent rumour that they actually wanted a third year of Gravity Falls, but the creator ended it.

That one's not a rumor though, you can look up his blog post out there where the creator has straight up said that it was planned for 3 seasons but he burned out so hard he told Disney he absolutely couldn't do another.

Anyway Adventures of the Super Sons #4, Superboy got split in two by some kryptonite and they're not feeling great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Anyway Adventures of the Super Sons #4, Superboy got split in two by some kryptonite and they're not feeling great.

"Only because that's what Pennyworth brings me..."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gaz-L posted:

They've also been bitten in the rear end a few times over the years. There's the consistent rumour that they actually wanted a third year of Gravity Falls, but the creator ended it. And the situation where they canned Kim Possible, did a finale movie... and response was so good they renewed the show afterwards, which put the team in an awkward position because they'd paid off the will-they-won't-they storyline in the movie.

To be fair, Kim Possible benefitted from being one of the rare shows that could function in a post-will they won’t they storyline. It was good.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

I miss Rockslide

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Beerdeer posted:

I miss Rockslide

Cytorrak looks so happy to have found a new best friend!

I know I'll regret this, but what happened to Rockslide?

Did they kill him in a "Can't bring him back" way, to introduce fear of death to the Mutants?

Because he's the exact sort of character that they'd do that to, sadly.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Rockslide died in Otherworld so the version they brought back on Krakoa is a weird multiverse blend of different versions of him rather than a copy of the 616 original.

No, it's not made clear why or how dying in the multiverse overwrites the Cerebro backups with multiverse data. It just does.

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 28, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FFT posted:

Rockslide died in Otherworld so the version they brought back on Krakoa is a weird multiverse blend of different versions of him rather than a copy of the 616 original.

Wasn't he literally the only person to die in that brief flirtation with 'giving Krakoan deaths actual consequence'? I know Betsy Braddock died in that same event, but I think it was in different circumstances.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The other multiverse deaths + Krakoan resurrections (Gorgon, Wild Child, Nanny) are more "hmm something's off" than "broken" so yeah basically.

Betsy Braddock's most recent resurrection is much more complicated. Involved her soul or whatever being hosted by at least a multiverse alternate and Psylocke before getting a fresh body.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Betsy's body should be a different ethnicity every time it happens. Blame it on the time she was replaced with a skrull getting in her cosmic genes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Have they got a plan in place for if one of the Five ever die? Cause that seems like a problem ~at some point~

Spy x Family - Chapter 48

In which Anya needs a distraction!

Hijinx ensue while her Father is distracted trying clothes on.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Infinitum posted:

Have they got a plan in place for if one of the Five ever die? Cause that seems like a problem ~at some point~

I think they said the plan there is get a mutant who can copy powers (Rogue, Synch etc...) to step up and fill in for the deceased.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FFT posted:

The other multiverse deaths + Krakoan resurrections (Gorgon, Wild Child, Nanny) are more "hmm something's off" than "broken" so yeah basically.

Betsy Braddock's most recent resurrection is much more complicated. Involved her soul or whatever being hosted by at least a multiverse alternate and Psylocke before getting a fresh body.

To be clear, these were different situations.

Rockslide died in Otherworld, the nexus of the multiverse where all realities intersect. As a result, his Cerebro backup was corrupted because *waves hands* and he was resurrected as a weird multiversal hybrid or something.

The others you mentioned died on Arakko, which is a single dimension (connected to Otherworld), and as a result, their backups were "sharpened" because *waves hands* so they're more violent and capable, but still technically the same person.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

Otherworld, the nexus of the multiverse where all realities intersect.

I thought man thing's swamp was the nexus of the multiverse

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

haha yeah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Saturnyne rents it to him.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Endless Mike posted:

To be clear, these were different situations.

Rockslide died in Otherworld, the nexus of the multiverse where all realities intersect. As a result, his Cerebro backup was corrupted because *waves hands* and he was resurrected as a weird multiversal hybrid or something.

The others you mentioned died on Arakko, which is a single dimension (connected to Otherworld), and as a result, their backups were "sharpened" because *waves hands* so they're more violent and capable, but still technically the same person.

Gorgon did die on Otherworld, the guy who could resurrect his personal goons got him-- so he also came back a little more damaged, like Rockslide, but we haven't really seen him yet.

I also want to note that I'm treating all of this like an ongoing plot thread-- neither of them have shown up on panel in awhile but the last time we saw Rockslide he was very out of it and physically just mirroring stuff in a weird way, but when Rachel went into his mind there was definitely something there:

Something very weird was going on, and as far back as Rachel could skim in his timeline was about a week before getting thrown out by her powers. So in some ways he's currently being treated as a brand new week-old mutant, but in others the issue left off with Rachel not giving up on getting to the bottom of the situation.

For context-- this went down in X-Factor, a comic about the team getting to the bottom of weird mutant death situations, so on the one hand I am positive that Leah Williams had a direction for this and was going to see it through. On the other hand, X-Factor is getting cancelled very soon and it's unknown what Williams is going to be writing after her Magneto mini so who knows if it will be seen through soon or kicked over to another writer or what.

And I mean, look, here's the second to last page of the issue (the last page is a stinger leading into their next arc):

It's showing that after an issue of cutaways to Lorna sitting patiently and engaging with what everyone else was treating like a comatose rock, there's still someone in there, who can still appreciate beauty and wonder. I think it's a really nice scene and I really hope we get to see how this plotline was supposed to spin out.

Anyway this is all from X-Factor #5.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 29, 2021

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Tales from the Crypt #35 (1953)

I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets! (2007)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In this week's chapter of the manga series Witch Watch two of the main characters decided to start a Youtube channel.

Unfortunately they aren't very good at it.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

site posted:

Man-Thing guards the Nexus of All Realities, which knowing comic books is probably a different thing from the Nexus of the Multiverse.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BooDooBoo posted:

Because he's the exact sort of character that they'd do that to, sadly.

He's also the exact sort of character that would gently caress up the resurrection protocol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Splint Chesthair posted:

Man-Thing guards the Nexus of All Realities, which knowing comic books is probably a different thing from the Nexus of the Multiverse.

One's a squarish doorway. The other is more like a round archway.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hearing they killed off Rockslide shouldn't surprise but it has and it sucks and I'm now bummed because he was one of my fave Mutants.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Infinitum posted:

Spy x Family - Chapter 48

In which Anya needs a distraction!

Hijinx ensue while her Father is distracted trying clothes on.

Wonderful.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

House of Mystery #32 (1954)

Booster Gold #2 (2007)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

forkboy84 posted:

Hearing they killed off Rockslide shouldn't surprise but it has and it sucks and I'm now bummed because he was one of my fave Mutants.

I bear wonderful news for you... from this very page!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Convergence: Batman and the Outsiders No. 1 (2015)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Dareon posted:

Convergence: Batman and the Outsiders No. 1 (2015)

Wait, this can't possibly be canon, can it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Superman did it once, too, and he's an idiot.