Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Moral choices are one thing.

Alpha Protocol was great in that it really took into account what you did and changed accordingly. Moral choices and non-moral choices.

A more extreme (and less moral choice) example was the PS2 game Freedom Fighters.

Enemy reinforcements? Go take out the helicopter base. Enemy had better weapons? Go gently caress up their supply depot and now you have better gear.

Or don’t - be a bigger badass and just go in guns blazing.

I wished Metal Gear V was like this - with a persistent map- but nope- gotta use balloons on tanks.

I want a persistent map in my morally corrupt open world games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even MGS3 had a touch of that, with some areas having depots that you can blow up, and a few maps later you'll find soldiers who are hungry and slow or have very little ammo because you blew up the supply or ammo depots. You can even blow up the helicopter earlier on and you won't have to deal with it later down the line.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even MGS3 had a touch of that, with some areas having depots that you can blow up, and a few maps later you'll find soldiers who are hungry and slow or have very little ammo because you blew up the supply or ammo depots. You can even blow up the helicopter earlier on and you won't have to deal with it later down the line.

You can also skip the End boss fight by shooting out an explosive barrel as someone is wheeling him along in the background, which is cool as hell. In place of the fight you get a stealth section with the ocelots through the boss zone, which IMO is more fun than the actual boss fight

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doctor J Off posted:

You can also skip the End boss fight by shooting out an explosive barrel as someone is wheeling him along in the background, which is cool as hell. In place of the fight you get a stealth section with the ocelots through the boss zone, which IMO is more fun than the actual boss fight

Or, because Kojima is a cheeky fucker and a mad person, you can save and leave the game for at least a week during the boss fight, and upon reloading a cutscene will play of Snake finding the End having died of old age.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or, because Kojima is a cheeky fucker and a mad person, you can save and leave the game for at least a week during the boss fight, and upon reloading a cutscene will play of Snake finding the End having died of old age.

Not even bro.

I discovered this on accident. I changed my PS2 clock to a few months later and loaded the save.

Dude just died waiting lol.

My First real genuine Easter egg surprise.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Soul memory was a genuinely great concept from Dark Souls 2 and should have been put in more games

The Ornstein and Smaug fight is just annoying as the run up to it sucks and it is less of a battle between O&S but more among O&S&the terrible camera. Enemies with spear weapons in DS1 had ridiculous reach that pierced through walls and columns and were just not fun to fight against at all

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Soul memory is a terrible
every cent you piss down the drain on consumables, or lose on a bloodstain, or spend on upgrading an alternate weapon to try out another playstyle, makes your account permanently weaker relative to the other players you get matched with in multiplayer

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

basically everything about dark souls 2 is terrible

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

basically everything about dark souls 2 is terrible

I really liked the idea of what they were going for, but boy howdy is there way too much not very good game to chew on to get there.

Demon of Song is a cool as hell design as well.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I really enjoyed Dark Souls 2 although I only sat down and properly played it last year

I have just bought Sekiro in the steam sale so look forward to me having bad opinions about that too

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

sekiro is awesome, its challenging but you just have to believe in yourself

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also even if I made Dark Souls 2 sound like rear end, I want to confirm, it at least has a purpose to it unlike Dark Souls 3 which is like if Ready Player One was only allowed to reference two films for the entirety of its nostalgia spree

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dark Souls 2 is good and doesn't deserve most of the hate it gets.

Dark Souls 3 is rubbish.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Basically everything about dark souls 2 sucks. The weapons all feel crappy, enemies are all knights pasted all over rooms with no regard for design, the graphics are ugly and the vast majority of bosses are just annoying. The fact that you can extinct enemies is just compensating for the fact that they aren't placed in intelligent or interesting places.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cracker King posted:

Not even bro.

I discovered this on accident. I changed my PS2 clock to a few months later and loaded the save.

Dude just died waiting lol.

My First real genuine Easter egg surprise.

What was the reason for advancing the clock forward, if you don't mind me asking?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
To this day I'm curious what they thought was so horrible about the original DS2 that they had to get a new director and basically rework/restructure everything close to the release date. I only played the Scholar of First Sin and thought it was decent. Not nearly as good as 1 and the reworking of the game obviously led to a game progression that was slightly nonsensical, but gameplay-wise it was enjoyable. Still a bigger fan of DS1' slower, more ponderous combat tho.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 27, 2021

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

What was the reason for advancing the clock forward, if you don't mind me asking?

The boss is an Old Veteran Sniper that hides in a jungle. A sniper vs sniper boss fight.

I was low on health and supplies and lazy.

I heard a rumor - that if you waited a week in real time the boss would just die of old age.

I was having none of that so curious me just altered the system clock on my PS2 and when I loaded up the game I got a cutscene about how the boss died of old age.

I also learned that you could record straight from the PS2 into a Sony handicam if you plugged in the rca cables and used the viewfinder as a screen - it only worked if it was recording since it wouldn’t generate an output otherwise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My guess is that it's more that people REALLY love Dark Souls I, and the changes in II after people have played I over and over and over are probably going to feel janky to them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given how many weird unused things there are in the game like the repair tree and the poison curing bug on top of things like by their own admission the order of levels in the game was not decided until super late I think they just had way too much stuff and somebody had to come in and be that "jettison every system that isn't working and stitch together everything thats done until its a game" director

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Soul memory is a terrible
every cent you piss down the drain on consumables, or lose on a bloodstain, or spend on upgrading an alternate weapon to try out another playstyle, makes your account permanently weaker relative to the other players you get matched with in multiplayer

there is a covenant you can join that will respawn enemies; and it takes multiple enemy deaths before they stop re-spawning. Unless you were farming for a specific item it just cuts down on having to pointlessly kill something again on your boss rush.

DS2 was janky as hell but honestly is my favorite out of the three. Magic spells in this game were just so ridiculous and I loved it. Even with all its flaws I still find it the most enjoyable to replay; and Majula has not been topped for one of the best video game areas to chill in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0nZAXyF2BU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My guess is that it's more that people REALLY love Dark Souls I, and the changes in II after people have played I over and over and over are probably going to feel janky to them.

this was my experience. DS1 remains the high point in souls-like games for me. i really enjoyed the way the map came together and mastering the game's combat for the first time.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DS2 has elements of hope, and we can't have that because it seems like all Souls and Soulslike games are obligated to be as bleak and depressing as possible.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Desperate Character posted:

there is a covenant you can join that will respawn enemies; and it takes multiple enemy deaths before they stop re-spawning. Unless you were farming for a specific item it just cuts down on having to pointlessly kill something again on your boss rush.

DS2 was janky as hell but honestly is my favorite out of the three. Magic spells in this game were just so ridiculous and I loved it. Even with all its flaws I still find it the most enjoyable to replay; and Majula has not been topped for one of the best video game areas to chill in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0nZAXyF2BU

Soul memory isn't the "enemies stop spawning" mechanic
Soul Memory is the matchmaking system that pairs you with others in co-op or pvp based on the total count of souls you've ever picked up, regardless of how you spent or lost them afterwards.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

DS2 has elements of hope, and we can't have that because it seems like all Souls and Soulslike games are obligated to be as bleak and depressing as possible.

All the Souls games are hopeful, DS2 is just the most blatant with it

Also out of the souls game DS2 is my favorite and DS1 my least.

Ds2 has crazy build variety, tons of enemies and bosses, for most of the game you can pick and choose exactly where you want to go. Backdoors for people who want to skip poo poo. And really interesting themes

Ds1 just feels like a worse Demon's souls to me. The world is interconnected, but half the areas feel throwaway. The combat is unbearably slow, and the lore while cool wasn't nearly as deep or interesting as some Youtubes make it out to be.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I never did try Scholar of the First Sin. Did it fix any of DS2 issues?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
DS2 also had the best dual wielding. And the boxerman ring.

You could punch people while poisoning them, all while wearing a skirt and butterfly wings.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
People talk about the freedom you had in DS2 but really it was only good for yucking it up on the forums. Like I would like to gently caress around with different character builds but after playing through DS2 (SOTFS) once I was done. Just overall boring and flat.

And PVP in DS2 is a wonky mess.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I enjoyed DS2 pvp a lot.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I enjoyed DS2 pvp a lot.

Belltower PvP was some of the best in the series. Anything goes.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Dark Souls PvP is and has always been bad and unfun. I like the idea of it but in practice the combat system and the netcode just isn't built for PvP. I hope that for Elden Ring they just give up on PvP and simply try to make PvE multiplayer more enjoyable (which also has some problems).

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

All the Souls games are hopeful, DS2 is just the most blatant with it

You could argue that DS1 is hopeful, but the third one? The premise is "everything is going to poo poo and there's nothing we can do it". There's that painting world the girl is going to make, I guess?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

DS3 is hopeful because it seems to be the final installment in the series :rimshot:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

itry posted:

DS3 is hopeful because it seems to be the final installment in the series :rimshot:

:nice:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I really wish I hadn't bought a switch, just didn't have fun with the exclusive titles and everything non exclusive is so much better than on PC.

Nintendo switch - it almost made me hate Hades

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i haven't played my switch in like, 3 years

Nothing has come out that has made me wanna dig it out. Like wow Nintendo, a crappy golf game and an overpriced metroid game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It was nice the last time I went on holiday having my switch around to watch YouTube on the big tv

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I don't see how DS2 was more hopeful, it was all about going crazy and being forgotten just like DS1. They added that 3rd ending where you just leave and don't accept the other endings, but I just interpreted that as the protagonist not being able to come to terms with the world, which isn't very hopeful to me. If anything the DS1 ending was more hopeful because at least the dark ending didn't explicitly point out to you that you were going to become a crazy person lumbering around in your basement without any clothes on.

But other than that I couldn't really get into DS2, although it had it's moments.

Dark Souls PvP was never fun for me either. I always played them a year late, so by the time I got in it was me running around, outfitted for PvE, getting ganked by some guy specialized in PvP who'd been practicing for a year and already knew the stage layout.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Dark Souls PvP feels bad because of invincibility frames and backstab/parry systems. Your weapons go straight through a person as they're rolling and it becomes this weird clownshow where two people roll a lot and swing at nothing until one freezes and gets slowly stabbed in the back.

Those same systems are perfect for PvE because that's the only way to make a giant whirlwind of blades survivable.

EDIT: And I had fun with DS PvP, but because of the game itself, not the actual combat. My favorite is getting invaded and hiding just wasting the invader's time for as long as possible, pushing them off cliffs etc. Or invading and just making the host nervous but never actually attacking.

Vic fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 28, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Sitting there doing pvp like its a janky laggy fighting game is weird, invasions are more of a silly little mechanic where you chase people down and gank them or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Invasions and summons are not great parts of dark souls games and that's kinda what I'm most looking forward to with sekiro