Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Jedi425 posted:

So I did the RACE today, cleared out the rearmost hull sectionon the Javelin hull, then I pulled the switch for the thruster eject. Soon as the engine came loose, the reactor went critical. Is that new, or a bug?

I think the thruster is bugged on the javelin. Fortunately the ecu/reactor/thruster can all be barged as one piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Welp, I'm 3/3 now with a game breaking bug. For some reason, on my second shift with a ship, I can't access the store console to buy more oxygen. It works fine the first shift, but after that any time I go to the console the menu comes up, but clicking the options does nothing. Guess I'll have to wait for the next major patch to play.

This happened maybe 10% of the time before the last patch - I'd try to open the buy console but it wouldn't open. Now it opens every time, but I can't use it. Progress?

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Welp, I'm 3/3 now with a game breaking bug. For some reason, on my second shift with a ship, I can't access the store console to buy more oxygen. It works fine the first shift, but after that any time I go to the console the menu comes up, but clicking the options does nothing. Guess I'll have to wait for the next major patch to play.

This happened maybe 10% of the time before the last patch - I'd try to open the buy console but it wouldn't open. Now it opens every time, but I can't use it. Progress?

This bug can be overcome by using the movement keys (forward for up/backwards for down) and [space] to select the purchase you want.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This happens to me all the time. I've cleared it by rapidly switching between my various tools and their modes using the number keys while wiggling the mouse and randomly firing all my suit's thrusters and engaging the brake. I'm sure there's something more specific that could work but no luck on isolating that. Having a keyboard seizure does tend to clear it most of the time though.

A cheap way to figure out if this bug is effecting you is to keep an Oxygen or Fuel Tank or Data Drive floating around. If you suddenly don't get the prompt to pick it up, you've got the bug.

This is a different bug. The bug you're describing is an old bug and the only necessary action is switching to your split saw and toggling up/down to sideways a few times. That will clear whatever caused the bug.

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 25, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

bartolimu posted:

This happens to me all the time. I've cleared it by rapidly switching between my various tools and their modes using the number keys while wiggling the mouse and randomly firing all my suit's thrusters and engaging the brake. I'm sure there's something more specific that could work but no luck on isolating that. Having a keyboard seizure does tend to clear it most of the time though.

A cheap way to figure out if this bug is effecting you is to keep an Oxygen or Fuel Tank or Data Drive floating around. If you suddenly don't get the prompt to pick it up, you've got the bug.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, the store kiosk stops recognizing mouse input, but you can still use the keyboard.

Meanwhile I'm 2 for 2 on detaching the cockpit on a Javelin and discovering it's still pressurized. While detached. The first time I didn't notice and took the cockpit glass off while everything was still inside. It turned into a blender and smashed me. Second time I carefully detached all the electronics and hauled them out the door before chucking the cockpit whole into the processor.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Yeah I haven't played the game in like six months and I'm not gonna lie it seems much worse?

I can't buy anything, I can't attach tethers, and even the in-between missions screen is less interesting.

I figured I'd come back to some real progress and this is not looking good

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Grevlek posted:

Yeah I haven't played the game in like six months and I'm not gonna lie it seems much worse?

I can't buy anything, I can't attach tethers, and even the in-between missions screen is less interesting.

I figured I'd come back to some real progress and this is not looking good

Yeah the campaign menu update seems like a bit of a downgrade to me. The only screen that kind of got better was the audio log menu.

Liking the new radiation filter components (which are worth enough that high-hazard Mackerels are less likely to just have 3-4 bitcoin wallets in them) and Javelin cockpits that pop apart on the side though!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Yeah, not gonna lie, if I could turn off the faux-CRT filtering, I'd be much happier with the way the game is now. It feels like it's just that much more tedious to get between-shift chores work done. The menus also look extremely washed out while trying to do anything in the jack on top of requiring more clicks for anything to get done.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ok like, not to be a dick, but genuinely, how much time do you spend staring at interstital screens who's whole puprpose ia just to be there?

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah, not gonna lie, if I could turn off the faux-CRT filtering, I'd be much happier with the way the game is now. It feels like it's just that much more tedious to get between-shift chores work done. The menus also look extremely washed out while trying to do anything in the jack on top of requiring more clicks for anything to get done.

There was a hotfix update yesterday to tone it down. It could use a little more but it's much better now.

The javelin cockpit pressurization has been there since the dawn of javelins.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
The only fix I want is to fix the backwards decompression thing. Where if you pop a window, the ship rushes forward in the same direction as the rushing air.

edit: faster progression would be nice too

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 26, 2021

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
doot doot deedle deet deet doot do do deet Data Miner!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Big Ink posted:

This bug can be overcome by using the movement keys (forward for up/backwards for down) and [space] to select the purchase you want.

I feel very dumb for not trying that. Thanks.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
Don't feel dumb, this took a discord full of people a while to figure out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

El Spamo posted:

doot doot deedle deet deet doot do do deet Data Miner!

Every time that starts up I think the first few notes are Hall of the Mountain King.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alkydere posted:

…but Cherenkov radiation is caused by a very specific effect: particles passing through a dialectric medium (usually water) faster than the speed of light in that medium.

Yes the speed of light through matter can be broken, the speed of light in a vacuum cannot. Cherenkov radiation is basically the light version of a sonic boom.

:science:

This is an absolutely superb way to explain Cherenkov radiation to some doofus like me who doesn’t understand the physicsmath.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sitting here, at the mouth of the Furnace God, fighting against the suction, hacking away at a Javelin's spine trying to dislodge it, thinking "Maybe I should get that splitsaw range upgrade"

Anyone got any good tips for shucking the nanocarbon shells of the Javelin or just the ship type in general? I'm really struggling to get the ring segments with the airlocks to pull off cleanly.

[edit] lol screenshots pick up the discord overlay

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

In general you'd pull the segments towards the jack/berth and then towards the processor. The "berthed" segments have the tendency to get eaten by the furnace when I'm not careful with the tethers.

For the airlock segments you could zap the aluminum cowls and that makes wriggling the airlocks free easier.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah I've been doing both of those and it helps a little. The best way I've found to dislodge the ring from the airlock is to tether it so it "Tips" the ring, rather than use a pair to try to pull it straight/cleanly.

And yeah, I've noticed the furnace gods are getting hungry with my rear nanocarbon segments on javelins... :argh:

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
Place demo charges on two opposite sides of the nanocarbon octagon, push the button, you now have two manageable pieces of nanocarbon that won't get stuck.

Edit:
Up to tier 9 javelins should have a bunch of new cut points holding the octagons together. Cutting those will also work. After that it'll be helpful to get demo charges. You don't need them but it makes things easier and quicker.

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 27, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don’t have them yet. :smith:

I can see that working well though

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I tend to do javelins front to back after depressurizing so I can pull everything forward towards the processors and reduce the risk of accidentally furnacing something. If the nanocarbon outside has one of those frame things on it you can tether it to the processor instead and it will pull the shell along with it. Then it's a matter of separating the aluminum rooms inside from the nanocarbon. If you're trying to get an airlock detached you want to check if the nanocarbon in front of it is a separate piece you can slide out. If it's not you can pull the airlock away from the aluminum with the grapple and it will move the nanocarbon with it, then pull it back down and away from the nanocarbon onces it's sufficiently far away from the aluminum.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Seems like there's a pretty obvious reproducible decompression bug with the new javelin I ran into. Hope this gets fixed soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xqUuGFgBHg

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 29, 2021

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
It's well known at this point. It was there when javelins were first introduced then fixed, now it's back. Something about the update broke the fix.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Been a bit, so trying out all this new stuff. Interesting design mix-ups, though I'm having an issue. When I couldn't pop these tanks off the refueling javelin, I watched a video (in an admittedly slightly older version maybe?) Where grappling the little plates between tanks popped them off. But that didn't seem to work for me and I've been hucking the whole stretch of them into the barge after I eventually get them free. I'd prefer to get big explodey tanks done first, is there some other secret to freeing them? Clamps>pop off plate>toss tank just isn't working.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

There's lots of internal structure you can hit with the splitsaw to disconnect the Jav middle structure from the fore and aft, are you doing that?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Synnr posted:

Been a bit, so trying out all this new stuff. Interesting design mix-ups, though I'm having an issue. When I couldn't pop these tanks off the refueling javelin, I watched a video (in an admittedly slightly older version maybe?) Where grappling the little plates between tanks popped them off. But that didn't seem to work for me and I've been hucking the whole stretch of them into the barge after I eventually get them free. I'd prefer to get big explodey tanks done first, is there some other secret to freeing them? Clamps>pop off plate>toss tank just isn't working.

I'm kind of a noob, but in some of the mackerels you can't detach the fuel tanks until you purge the fuel from the nacelles. I think this is done with an interactable panel on the big fuel line. Maybe there's something similar you're missing here?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Since this latest patch I can't decompress any section of a ship without the reactor going critical or just exploding outright. This most recent attempt I popped the front of a javelin and the reactor still got set off. Also stuff like sections of a ship being open to space and still somehow holding an atmosphere, every time I touch anything in them could be the thing that causes the decompression and there's no way to tell in advance.

It's basically made the game unplayable and it's really annoying.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's at the point where I wish they'd just drop the pressurization system almost entirely. I get pressure bugs on almost every single ship I salvage now, where a tiny roomful of air either sends a dozen tons of ship careening off into space like a pinball or explodes every loose object on the ship. Bonus points for when a room is blatantly exposed to the vacuum but remains pressurized, either venting in perpetuity for 15 minutes or sends you and itself flying off at a million kilometers an hour when you interact with it.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

Synnr posted:

The plates are now welded to the fuel tanks, they should be light enough so two tethers can move them to the barge. The internal tanks will take breaking the nanocarbon rings and cutting the aluminum/titanium holding the tanks directly.

ArchRanger posted:

Since this latest patch I can't decompress any section of a ship without the reactor going critical or just exploding outright. This most recent attempt I popped the front of a javelin and the reactor still got set off. Also stuff like sections of a ship being open to space and still somehow holding an atmosphere, every time I touch anything in them could be the thing that causes the decompression and there's no way to tell in advance.

It's basically made the game unplayable and it's really annoying.

Which javelin specifically is exploding? What are you doing leading up to it exploding? The javelin cockpits are bugged, it was fixed in a previous patch but it's back now. If you pop the floor panel in the cockpit then do a decompression it should be a relatively safe decompression rather than flying off into the void.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Big Ink posted:

The plates are now welded to the fuel tanks, they should be light enough so two tethers can move them to the barge. The internal tanks will take breaking the nanocarbon rings and cutting the aluminum/titanium holding the tanks directly.

Which javelin specifically is exploding? What are you doing leading up to it exploding? The javelin cockpits are bugged, it was fixed in a previous patch but it's back now. If you pop the floor panel in the cockpit then do a decompression it should be a relatively safe decompression rather than flying off into the void.

This most recent one was a fuel javelin. I removed the ion rings, the fuel tanks, and the couple boxes in the reactor room, and then, seeing that the entire ship didn't have a single working atmospheric regulator, decided to vent at the very front of the ship. I closed the doors I could, then popped the very front piece off the ship. Almost immediately everything on the front half of the ship, including the one inner section I could seal, was on fire, and about five seconds afterwards the reactor went off.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

ArchRanger posted:

This most recent one was a fuel javelin. I removed the ion rings, the fuel tanks, and the couple boxes in the reactor room, and then, seeing that the entire ship didn't have a single working atmospheric regulator, decided to vent at the very front of the ship. I closed the doors I could, then popped the very front piece off the ship. Almost immediately everything on the front half of the ship, including the one inner section I could seal, was on fire, and about five seconds afterwards the reactor went off.

Some of the fuel javelins' coolant isn't actually connected to the reactor. It's possible when you depressurize from the front something is crashing into the coolant pipe.

I'd recommend doing this with the whole ECU/reactor/thruster combo.

There's nothing of value holding them together. The only ways I can get the front end to burst into fire is overheating the cutter or during a very unlucky depressurization where a loose object breaks the fuel pipe on the ceiling or a computer/console breaks and sets the fabric on fire. Is there anything else odd you've noticed when the jav explodes on you?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've been looking at this game since it was first announced but I had a shitbox computer from 2015. Finally got my new PC last week and this is the first game I played on it.

Firing up Open Shift mode and using the whole buffalo mackerel has completely replaced Viscera Cleanup Detail as my busywork while listening to podcasts.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 14, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I think I finally found a way to put my issue with the big revamp they did a while back in words: bigger/more advanced ships are always more beat up. I can understand bigger ships having more advanced systems and having a higher base hazard, but it frustrates me that all Medium/Large Javelins and Geckos are in such a state of decay.

Also that the damage is so general/evenly spread (and/or limited to the darn atmo generators). I'd love to see a Gecko that's being decommissioned due to suffering an impact that left a big, gaping hole in its outer hull.

Game's still fun, it just irritates me. That and the ship design here and there.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I found the sweet spot on the cargo Gecko to place a single demo charge to simultaneously depressurise the main hold, blow out a panel and cut the keel so the reactor can be easily exposed and removed:

After blowing this charge you only need to cut two supports to remove the panel over the reactor, a third to remove the keel segment that's in the way, then you can flush the fuel and remove the pipe, open the reactor cage and tether the core straight into the barge

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Ugh. I broke down my second ship but then on trying to enter the hab to finish the stage nothing happened. I could look around so the game hadn't frozen but nothing on the controller or mouse and keyboard could move me or open the door. I ended up quitting the stage and that undid all of the progress. Anything I could've pressed here to fix it? The new ship thing says it'll remove the current one... is there a way to stop in the middle of a breakdown and come back later?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Doh, didn't think of going back into the hab.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jolo posted:

Doh, didn't think of going back into the hab.

Note that if you quit the game and relaunch it, your bay will be cleared.

I believe this is due to technical limitations with saving the state of all the floating debris (while you're in the hab it just pauses the simulation and draws the hab menu over the top).

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

GotLag posted:

Note that if you quit the game and relaunch it, your bay will be cleared.

I believe this is due to technical limitations with saving the state of all the floating debris (while you're in the hab it just pauses the simulation and draws the hab menu over the top).

Ahh. Ok. I noticed that after that second ship the next are timed so that adds a new element beyond trying to break down everything completely. Those first couple I was spending an hour or so breaking down every last bit so a quick save seemed necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I'm having a way better time now that I'm getting used to the flow of the game. At first I didn't know if I was supposed to break down as much of a ship in 15 minutes and then move on to the next one. Now I've got a better hang of it and can do most of a ship in 2 shifts but sometimes need a third shift to finish off the 3rd goal.

Question about the cockpit breakdown: The glass and the polycarbon outer bit and the aluminum inner panels all seem to be connected along the edges and not bolted together at any specific points for easy separation. I've tried to line cut out the panels and the front window but it doesn't feel worth how much trouble it is. Am I missing an easier way here or should I just tether the whole front cone into the processor once I've pulled out the seats, storage bins, and electronics?