Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1409190814610165760?s=20

Because I was curious, the first officially ordained minister in the United States was Olympia Brown for the Universalist Church in 1863, but there's been countless unofficial preachers and what not throughout the ages. Like, Joan or Arc has to count, right?

Also, did their mom never see them do something stupid from more than 20 feet away? Women can be loud when they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I once attended a chamber music performance with a classically trained opera singer.
She was extremely loud. She was a petite young woman, but I have never experienced another person being even closely as loud

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Jools Holland has a wonderful story about how when he was on the tube music show a tiny shy quiet Scottish woman was backstage and he didn’t think much of her and then the Eurythmics took the stage and Annie Lennox’s voice just filled the room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQigavTPnxY

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Such Fun posted:

I once attended a chamber music performance with a classically trained opera singer.
She was extremely loud. She was a petite young woman, but I have never experienced another person being even closely as loud

Yeah, there's been female singers and performers in front of huge crowds in huge rooms for hundreds of years before the invention of the microphone.

Like, everyone knows it was illegal for women to be in plays during the Elizabethan era, but they were allowed to do it starting in 1660.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s….that’s literally why it is called that. It started with a formal written protest

It actually was called something different before that

yeah, heresy

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zetsubou-san posted:

yeah, heresy

"Evangelisch", which is still the preferred term in some parts of Europe.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Clone Farmer posted:

I mean, in the myths, Loki seduced a horse and had it's baby, but sure, being bisexual in the Loki show is ruining comics/Loki.

My favourite part of the whole story is that the God's had hosed up by agreeing to let some random builder marry Freyja if we can build a wall. They blame Loki for this so when he's getting close to done Loki goes off to seduce the horse that's been doing all the heavy lifting because he's also the god of terrible loving ideas or something. So whilst he's off banging a horse Thor just comes down and smashes the builder's skull in with his hammer. The was no reason for Loki to gently caress the horse at all, They could have killed him any time they liked.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Loki tied his balls to a goat to make a giantess laugh because the gods killed her father, he is basically god of bantz.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Aramoro posted:

My favourite part of the whole story is that the God's had hosed up by agreeing to let some random builder marry Freyja if we can build a wall. They blame Loki for this so when he's getting close to done Loki goes off to seduce the horse that's been doing all the heavy lifting because he's also the god of terrible loving ideas or something. So whilst he's off banging a horse Thor just comes down and smashes the builder's skull in with his hammer. The was no reason for Loki to gently caress the horse at all, They could have killed him any time they liked.

I think it's important to remember that the Norse Gods were only ever written about after the communities they were tied to had been christianised for over 3 generations. A lot of the stories are going to be less respectful than the original myths may have been.

The only example of this I fully don't understand is the various different Ancient Greek deities who are just utter poo poo all the time forever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"not so much worshipped, as blamed" springs to mind.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I think it's important to remember that the Norse Gods were only ever written about after the communities they were tied to had been christianised for over 3 generations. A lot of the stories are going to be less respectful than the original myths may have been.

The only example of this I fully don't understand is the various different Ancient Greek deities who are just utter poo poo all the time forever.

Ehh, I think a lot of ancient paganism was revering gods not because they were worthy of it, but because if you didn't you got hosed with.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, I think a lot of ancient paganism was revering gods not because they were worthy of it, but because if you didn't you got hosed with.

I mean we say this but we also can't see the various different things involved in the worship and all the rest of the interesting things going on. It's why I'm so sad we can't see how different societies approached the Gods. All we have to rely on is either people going "ignorant savages" or takes that have been gone over by monks for a few hundred years.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Aramoro posted:

The was no reason for Loki to gently caress the horse at all, They could have killed him any time they liked.

But a consistent internal logic is not the point of mythology.
I bet you could come up with a solid battle plan for how the aesir could triumph in ragnarok, but that’s not the point. The gods have to die; Loki has to get impregnated by a horse.

I didn’t make the rules, there clearly aren’t any

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

With Greek gods you need to remember not to conflate god with benevolent which is really easy to do if you grew up in an Abrahamic country. They are gods, but their purposes are not the purposes of man but rather incidental. Praying to them might do good things or maybe theyll gently caress your life forever who knows.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's why I only make deals with Faeries. The fay folk are always trustworthy!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1409190814610165760?s=20

Because I was curious, the first officially ordained minister in the United States was Olympia Brown for the Universalist Church in 1863, but there's been countless unofficial preachers and what not throughout the ages. Like, Joan or Arc has to count, right?

Also, did their mom never see them do something stupid from more than 20 feet away? Women can be loud when they want to.

Fun fact: in the great awakening periods of the 19th century US, it was common to hold these big outdoor revivals with lots of people listening to a preacher. It's hard to be loud outside, where open air and wind affects the sound transmission much more than in an indoor setting.
Some preachers would constrict their throat to an almost falsetto in order to get some extra volume. Same idea as how a whistle works, blasting out the same volume of air at high pressure through a smaller opening. Imagine you're a 19th century frontier farmer going to a church meeting after a long day of hard labor, and you stand for an hour listening to preaching of hellfire and brimstone in a voice that sounds like a screaming Mickey Mouse. Explains why per-capita alcohol consumption was much higher then

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The idea of gods being perfect beings who deserve nothing but respect is a very Abrahamic one

Even then it's mostly Christians and Muslims. Jews know better than to think anybody's perfect

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Imagine you're a 19th century frontier farmer going to a church meeting after a long day of hard labor, and you stand for an hour listening to preaching of hellfire and brimstone in a voice that sounds like a screaming Mickey Mouse. Explains why per-capita alcohol consumption was much higher then

This is just right wing youtube.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Drop the “your kid was wrong on the internet” slapfight. There’s nothing worse than seeing 70+ new posts in this thread because it almost always means people starting swinging at each other.

Does anyone have any classic “ate the Onion” posts where people can’t recognize satire sites? I’ve been jonesing for those.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, Loki tried to distract the builder in a bunch of different ways, it’s just that none of them slowed him down even a little, forcing him to pull out the big guns (the big guns being horsefuckin).

Thor also only killed that dude after he had finished the wall, but taken longer than three days to do so. Sure he could have done it sooner, but then someone else would have to finish the job, and it’d be bad PR to kill a guy without the excuse of him having failed to fulfill his contract (even if the horsefuckin was the only reason he failed).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

The idea of gods being perfect beings who deserve nothing but respect is a very Abrahamic one

Even then it's mostly Christians and Muslims. Jews know better than to think anybody's perfect

Oh yeah, my favorite part of the Torah, "And then God said to Abraham, 'Pobodies Nerfect'"

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

From what I’ve learned about it, the Ancient Greek believed that the mortal realm was a reflection of what was happening in the realm of the divine.
Realistically that means that they believed that how they lived was the same as how their gods lived. So their gods were cruel, vindictive, lustful, covetous, capricious. Just like they saw themselves

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Aramoro posted:

With Greek gods you need to remember not to conflate god with benevolent which is really easy to do if you grew up in an Abrahamic country. They are gods, but their purposes are not the purposes of man but rather incidental. Praying to them might do good things or maybe theyll gently caress your life forever who knows.

But don’t forget, *not* praying to them if they are expecting you to will absolutely have them gently caress you over, unless a different god you also worship takes pity on you and turns you into a swan or something.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And my personal favourite:

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s nothing worse than seeing 70+ new posts in this thread

Some people have war in their country

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It's also worth mentioning that the ancient Greeks rarely worshipped all of the gods. Most were part of cults that mostly devoted themselves to one particular patron god or goddess that had significance to them.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Such Fun posted:

From what I’ve learned about it, the Ancient Greek believed that the mortal realm was a reflection of what was happening in the realm of the divine.
Realistically that means that they believed that how they lived was the same as how their gods lived. So their gods were cruel, vindictive, lustful, covetous, capricious. Just like they saw themselves

That's very much my understanding of how Greek religious thinking worked, and I did a MS in classics. The Greeks did not expect their gods to be morally superior, they were just stronger, bigger, blunter people.
So don't get their attention, don't piss them off, and you might be ok.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

Also the idea that gods exists to serve man, the Abrahamic god exists purely to serve man, The Greek gods have their own poo poo going on and man is just nearby. It's probably why Abrahamic religions became so popular.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There are a lot of complete story arcs and sagas, almost like seasons of a TV show and spin off series with Greek myths through time aren’t there?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Talking about unified mythologies is kinda useless anyway. We kludge them into a single pop culture narrative called "greek mythology" or "norse mythology" or whatever but these are beliefs that span a vast gulf of space and time and were never unified. Athens and Sparta in the classical period had different beliefs, forget comparing the gods of Homer to the gods of the Seleukid Empire. And like, for example, not only is Jupiter not just "the roman name for Zeus", he's not even one single god.

The worst offender is "egyptian mythology" though. You're talking about a worldview spanning from like 3000+ BCE to the rise of Islam. The first egyptologists were Middle Kingdom egyptians investigating Old Kingdom sites. There is not even close to such a thing as a concise egyptian mythology where you have DnD style god of this and god of that and this god is the main god and so on.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Skwirl posted:

So the ancient pagans were centrist Democrats, and their gods were Selec?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Aramoro posted:

the Abrahamic god exists purely to serve man

This is not correct at all. I’m puzzled at how you might have gotten to this conclusion, curious even.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

So the ancient pagans were centrist Democrats, and their gods were Selec?

Probably? I don't know who or what Selec is and google isn't helping.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Talking about unified mythologies is kinda useless anyway. We kludge them into a single pop culture narrative called "greek mythology" or "norse mythology" or whatever but these are beliefs that span a vast gulf of space and time and were never unified. Athens and Sparta in the classical period had different beliefs, forget comparing the gods of Homer to the gods of the Seleukid Empire. And like, for example, not only is Jupiter not just "the roman name for Zeus", he's not even one single god.

The worst offender is "egyptian mythology" though. You're talking about a worldview spanning from like 3000+ BCE to the rise of Islam. The first egyptologists were Middle Kingdom egyptians investigating Old Kingdom sites. There is not even close to such a thing as a concise egyptian mythology where you have DnD style god of this and god of that and this god is the main god and so on.
There's also a lot we don't know, right? Like... mystery cults were a thing, and we don't really know much about their internal mythology because people were taking that mystery vow seriously and not writing it down, right? So even if we know a thing was going on, like the mystery cults of Dionysus or Persephone, we don't really know much of what was going on inside of that, right?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Such Fun posted:

This is not correct at all. I’m puzzled at how you might have gotten to this conclusion, curious even.

As a huge generalization you could say that in Abrahamic religions creation is a reflection or emanation of God. And as such God has an intimate relation and interest in creation. Creation is God, God is creation.
Whereas the gods of Classical Greek mythology saw creation as something that was just there. Sometimes they liked to interfere, sometimes not. But they were not creation themselves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You mean Bullfinch's Mythology isn't a 100% accurate account of past beliefs?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

learnincurve posted:

There are a lot of complete story arcs and sagas, almost like seasons of a TV show and spin off series with Greek myths through time aren’t there?

I'd compare it to superhero comics, where characters and scenarios keep getting changed and reinterpreted. Like, Superman isn't so much a single character as he is a cluster of attributes and plot beats: alien sent to Earth in a rocket ship as a baby to escape his dying planet, maintains the secret identity of mild-mannered journalist Clark Kent, loves Lois Lane, fights Lex Luthor, is real strong, can fly, is a very good boy, etc. Different writers emphasize different attributes of Superman, or even subvert them - "What if Superman was evil?" "What if we shipped him with Wonder Woman?" and so on. Even some of Supe's "canon" attributes aren't found in the earliest stories about him - for example, he couldn't fly until the 1950s TV show established it. Before that he was only "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound."

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We do have a single, unified source for all our modern understanding of Norse mythology in the form of the Eddas, unfortunately they are a thousand miles and several centuries removed from their origins

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

flavor.flv posted:

And my personal favourite:

That’s the good stuff right there, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Drop the “your kid was wrong on the internet” slapfight. There’s nothing worse than seeing 70+ new posts in this thread because it almost always means people starting swinging at each other.

Luckily about 40 of those were about horse loving though.

Not something I though I'd ever write, let alone be happy about.

YerDa Zabam has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Jun 27, 2021