Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

~Coxy posted:

Dumb question sorry; does iPad Pro work with a normal cheap USB-C dongle for HDMI out?

probably

(edit: lol, I literally wrote “it should” before changing it)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
It does! I have some cheapo USB c dock I bought from wish.com. The HDMI out works just fine.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Dumb question sorry; does iPad Pro work with a normal cheap USB-C dongle for HDMI out?

Yup.

Although I went on a vacation last week to a house with garbage satellite internet, so before leaving I preloaded a bunch of movies on Disney+ to watch while we were there. The Disney+ app decided it didn’t want to play them out over the dongle. I didn’t have this problem with my old iPad and the Lightning to HDMI adapter.

But the iPad will also recognize a hardwired Ethernet connection if your dongle does that too. So at least I was able to download all the movies ridiculously fast even if I wasn’t able to watch them on the TV.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Anything easy that would cause an 11” iPad Pro to be really intermittent with orientation shifts? Not locked, just usually doesn’t rotate. No case, nothing nearby, reloaded OS…

Edit: nm, second reboot seems to have sorted it.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 22, 2021

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
So I got the big dumb new iPad, and I generally like it, but I have one weird complaint: the apple pencil doesn’t magnetize as strongly to the edge as it does to the 2018 model.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shart Carbuncle posted:

So I got the big dumb new iPad, and I generally like it, but I have one weird complaint: the apple pencil doesn’t magnetize as strongly to the edge as it does to the 2018 model.

Ok I thought it was just me. Also I wish that the drat keyboard had something to actually keep the pen in place since the magnet seems weaker.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I kinda want to try out using my 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9 with a keyboard and trackpad but I can't seem to find anything made for the 2nd gen. Is there something more universal that could work? That has a not poo poo trackpad that supports all the gestures? Can I just use the new magic keyboard thing made for the latest iPads? It's just bluetooth right? The only thing that won't work is the magnetic mount which I could just rig up some other way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The magic keyboard uses the magnetic smart connector. It’s not BT.

I thought it worked version?

I can’t keep them straight

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

I kinda want to try out using my 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.9 with a keyboard and trackpad but I can't seem to find anything made for the 2nd gen. Is there something more universal that could work? That has a not poo poo trackpad that supports all the gestures? Can I just use the new magic keyboard thing made for the latest iPads? It's just bluetooth right? The only thing that won't work is the magnetic mount which I could just rig up some other way.

In all seriousness, Apple Magic Trackpad and magic keyboard. I used my Magic Trackpad briefly with my iPad 10.5 Pro, seemed super responsive.

Just won’t work like a case / folio, but then it’ll work on other stuff too.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

if you can hack some sort of wires and pogo pin connector from the edge of the 2nd gen ipad pro 12.9 (smart connector) to the back of the magic keyboard thing then yeah it might work

ive resorted to getting the magic keyboard (for 5th gen) so i can charge the m1 ipad with pass through charging on the keyboard itself to minimize the usb-c port wear cycle

but before that, ive only seen one single logitech dock that utilizes the edge pins to charge and nothing really non-apple stuff

edit: comedy option get the wireless magic keyboard and giant magic trackpad and use them with your ipad pro on a stand

coke fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 24, 2021

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

coke posted:

edit: comedy option get the wireless magic keyboard and giant magic trackpad and use them with your ipad pro on a stand

This is the way I think

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Maybe I just rely on lovely apps, but has anyone else with an M1 iPad noticed how many apps are still not designed to come back cleanly after being suspended for a few hours or more?

The MLB app may be the poster child for this, but I feel love had to quit more apps in the last 2 weeks than the rest of the year combined on my 2018 pro.

Also- Trip report on the Magic Keyboard: It’s very nice, and very heavy. It does feel like lugging a MacBook around when I have it on but the keyboard itself is very nice and while it’s not a MacBook trackpad, it’s very intuitive aside from a handful of apps I’ve tried that really aren’t ready for it- YouTube TV and Google Earth are a bit of a pain in particular. It’s not $350 nice unless you’re looking to truly replace a laptop for productivity, but for 199 I think it’s worth it. No fit or connection issues at all.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Apple is willing to give me $450 in trade in credit for my 2018 64GB 11" iPad Pro and honestly, that seems like a great deal. Once I sell the pencil and the Magic Keyboard, the overall price spent drops dramatically.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
One downside of the apple trade in is there’s no credit for having something newer or nicer than the base model. I got the same quote for a 256 GB cellular iPad :(

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I feel like my iPad Pro battery health has started taking a nose dive recently but I see there isn't a way to check battery health on iPads like on phones. I have AppleCare+ on it but apparently they won't do anything unless your battery health is under 80%. Is there any way to check this myself without making a genius appointment? I'm a ways away from an Apple Store.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Call into Apple support and have them run a diagnostic on the ipad. It will pull the battery health

The General
Mar 4, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Call into Apple support and have them run a diagnostic on the ipad. It will pull the battery health

Why the gently caress can't do I this myself?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Get coconut battery from the App Store.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
ItS strange that iPhones let you see battery health but not iPad

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hatty posted:

ItS strange that iPhones let you see battery health but not iPad

Why is there no built in Weather.app or calculator.app in iPadOS. The world will never know.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Even Watches let you see battery health lmao

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
It’s gonna be really annoying when Apple kills dark sky, the app on my iPad stops working and Apple doesn’t issue a weather app to replace it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why is there no built in Weather.app or calculator.app in iPadOS. The world will never know.

iPadOS 15: We’ve got weather
IPadOS 16: Revolutionary calculator

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tim just really wants to make sure you have an iphone so you can add things and check the weather.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol I just look outside of the coffee shop where I have my iPad Pro attached to the magic keyboard.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Someone asked Federighi that, and he started waxing on some bullshit about them wanting to make the best experience of a calculator for the form factor, and they haven't achieved it yet, so they just won't ship one.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone asked Federighi that, and he started waxing on some bullshit about them wanting to make the best experience of a calculator for the form factor, and they haven't achieved it yet, so they just won't ship one.

It was MKBHD asking questions on behalf of his viewers:

https://youtu.be/Q2aaCDNjWEg

Hopefully their weather app starts fleshing out more since they’ve bought Dark Sky — iOS 15 has a lot of new modular things that would make it kinda easy to imagine it on the iPad. I can’t even begin to imagine what a revolutionary calculator app made by Apple would include.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

I feel like my iPad Pro battery health has started taking a nose dive recently but I see there isn't a way to check battery health on iPads like on phones. I have AppleCare+ on it but apparently they won't do anything unless your battery health is under 80%. Is there any way to check this myself without making a genius appointment? I'm a ways away from an Apple Store.

One in a thousand thing but I had a Smart Cover / keyboard that was borjed and sucking battery from the pad like no tomorrow. Run it a few days with no cover and compare the battery. The parpherial drain doesn’t show up on the battery app.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I can’t even begin to imagine what a revolutionary calculator app made by Apple would include.

Probably merge in Wolfram Alpha / Mathway stuff to make it more than just a normal calculator. Or buy out Acqualia, stick Soulver on iPads and iPhones and merge it into the Wolfram / Mathway thing.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, but it feels like it has to be an "obviously" based off what's happening.

If you're on iPadOS 15, does anyone know if Apple shifted the location icons are on the screen slightly? All of the blank icon shortcuts, bookmarks, etc are all a bit too high. I would normally just say "oh, it's a beta, so of course there are some bugs" but it's not dependent on the beta itself, just a screenshot taken on the iPad and then the shortcut or site or whatever makes a slew of icons based off that same screenshot.

e: I should have picked up on it sooner, but I was going off thinking Apple changed overall placement or that not was resolution. They change the app layout. "More" on iPad 14 was 6x5 and "Bigger" was 4x5. iPadOS 15 is 6x4 with no option to change it yet. Or ever. Who knows.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 30, 2021

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sorta random question, can someone on iPadOS 14 try opening Messages in a split view with another app, and then open a second Messages window in slide over? I swear that’s a thing, and I can do it on the beta, but I have two friends who are unable to do that on 14.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

sleepwalkers posted:

Sorta random question, can someone on iPadOS 14 try opening Messages in a split view with another app, and then open a second Messages window in slide over? I swear that’s a thing, and I can do it on the beta, but I have two friends who are unable to do that on 14.

I just did it on a 12.9. I had to open messages, then a second messages in split view, then move one over to slide over before opening another app in split view.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I just did it on a 12.9. I had to open messages, then a second messages in split view, then move one over to slide over before opening another app in split view.

Can confirm this was the only way I could get it to work also.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone try out the iPadOS 15 beta yet? Wondering if it is stable enough for messing around with. I don’t put the betas on my phone but the iPad is not vital and can get wiped if need be.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I’d stay away for now. Multitasking was a hot mess in the last build, constantly causing springboard to restart. Doesn’t seem fixed in latest build either. Private relay seems to cause some sites (gmail) to just not work.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

As far as usability goes, it's pretty much standard for me on a 2021 Pro. The only thing I, personally, have experienced not working or outright broken is the old Today View widgets being cut in half, but I don't ever really use those now with full widget support.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

spaced ninja posted:

I’d stay away for now. Multitasking was a hot mess in the last build, constantly causing springboard to restart. Doesn’t seem fixed in latest build either. Private relay seems to cause some sites (gmail) to just not work.

Are the icloud type things like the disposable emails enabled yet or is that going to be later?

Thanks for that I think I will wait on it. Most of the new stuff I’m keen for are the things that either require icloud or having other people running 15 as well (facetime, messages improvements) so not a biggie. Siri on device is neat tho especially because my coverage suuucks in some areas so siri gets real dumb.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

Are the icloud type things like the disposable emails enabled yet or is that going to be later?

It is all in and works fairly well, as mentioned I have had a few random issues with private relay but 90% of the time it has worked great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I usually wait til end of July or maybe early August before even attempting to venture into the iOS betas on non-critical devices. It depends on how old the iDevice is, too. Older models seem to suffer a lot worse in the early betas