Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still no sign that the Custom Games Browser is coming with Season 7.

I never got to play Speed Halo on Reach 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The brutes are fun because they're basically just a funhouse mirror of humanity in the games and their gear reflects it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Battuta posted:

You literally go to the Elite homeworld in Halo 5 to wrap up the Covenant aftermath so this argument is kind of limp.

Ehhh, You run through a valley and then shoot a bunch of people on the Kamino set from star wars, it doesn't really involve them in the plot all that much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

The brutes are fun because they're basically just a funhouse mirror of humanity in the games and their gear reflects it

And their Wookiee look is pretty darn cool. Carnivorous space monkeys.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jokes posted:

Lol so, straight up, there's one profession and it is killing people. This is how a galaxy-spanning civilization operates?

Lmao.

Need to get this guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOKYCURn5Y-NdrrAZbm4LHg to cover the covenant.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jokes posted:

Well now I'm gonna do a wiki dive to see how dumb it gets

e:

Uhhhh

Lol so, straight up, there's one profession and it is killing people. This is how a galaxy-spanning civilization operates?

What the gently caress lol

:lol: wow Halo lore is stupid as poo poo, I had no idea it was that dumb. Was this Bungie, 343, or errant book writers' doing?

Sci-fi monocultures are a disgrace

The sad part is that they havw a golden opportunity to show Elites outside of warfare and instead we get "oh the Elites are like that all the time." The Covenant rendered every species down to what they could contribute to their holy crusade, hence why the physically powerful Sangheilli become the "Elites". Everything in their hierarchy is built around their military roles with their strategic and religious top being run by the prophets as part of their gaslighting endeavors.

A couple of the visual stories starring the Elites do make them out to be more like vikings or cossacks than truly monoculture warriors. Explorers, craftsmen and fiercely self sufficient women guarding the hearth and home when the men are away on expeditions. The one from Halo Legends was good.

I know vikings are often the basis for space monocultures because "rah cool viking fighters badass!" but the Elites do at least get a bit more of home life in those short bits.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 23, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Covenant is an extremist religious force facing off against the secular fascist UNSC.

It would make more sense for the Elites to be radicalised by the Covenant into becoming killing machines (similar to how the Spartans are normal kids forced into military servitude). The idea that they're a bunch of horny murderous lunatics before and after the religious indoctrination is just loving lame.

As far as Elites in UNSC might go, imagine giving one of them the Spartan augments :stare:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The MCC season 5 and Season 7 passes have made Anvil Station officially part of Halo's canon rather than just Halo Online's framing device. Anvil Station is a joint venture between elements of the Elite government and the UNSC to practice wargames in the efforts to strengthen ties between Earth and Sanghelios. Basically what Halo 4's "multiplayer is actually canon" gimmick was doing but with Elites getting involved. Some of the Elite armors and even Mjolnir variants are the result of cross species development.

There's a winged viking helmet for the Elites coming out with tomorrow's season 7 launch that I'm hyped for because it's a human design for an alien head.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still no sign that the Custom Games Browser is coming with Season 7.

I never got to play Speed Halo on Reach 360.

https://twitter.com/343Postums/status/1407441925771202561?s=19

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, using this video and other bits and pieces that have popped out on Twitter etc., this is what's confirmed for Season 7:

• Halo 1: Greater visual parity with the original Xbox release, new vehicle skins, new mod tools downloadable through Steam.
  • Halo 2: :shrug:
  • Halo 3: New Elite armors from Halo Online, new weapon skins (with an emphasis on new Energy Sword colors), new techsuits, both Halo Online map ports are polished up and added to social matchmaking.
  • Halo Reach: Custom Game Browser!
  • Halo 4: Champions Pack DLC armors added, old promo/toy weapon skins added, armor effects backported from Halo Reach.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Patch is out. 12gb on Steam, 32gb on console, 34gb on Windows Store/Game Pass.

Patch Notes

• Season 7 cosmetics for Halo CE, Halo 3 and Halo 4.
  • Reach custom game browser!
  • New Halo 3 map - Edge. Edge and Waterfall are also now in social matchmaking.
  • Firefight matchmaking is now in social matchmaking.
  • Lots of Halo 1 graphical fixes to match the original Xbox game
  • Tweaks to the Halo 1 Hardcore playlist
  • Mod tools for Halo 1
  • The usual slew of bugfixes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh hell yeah the Mk 7 Keystone Helmet looks sick compared to other helmets in the Halo 4 lineup.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Folks are starting to use the custom browser!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

Patch is out. 12gb on Steam, 32gb on console, 34gb on Windows Store/Game Pass.

Doesn't that just speak volumes right there.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Do they have any plans to port the rest of the Halo Online maps over? I hear they had a Turf remake which I’d really like to see

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

They're around in name only. I hadn't checked on them for years until someone mentioned it in another thread last week and what I found honestly baffled and depressed me.

Half the cast is gone because the members either left Roosterteeth or got fired (turns out Caboose's VA is a massive chud) and the latest season has a bunch of brand new Original Characters Do Not Steal running around in fully animated episodes ala RWBY battling stock assets from Unreal Engine games. It's rather shocking to see RVb develop from riffing on multiplayer tropes to a squad of edgelord OCs fighting lava monsters for an ancient power source that makes the user Invincible and godlike.

And yet despite the series being fully animated and not using the Halo game engine they still decided to animate scenes like they were using a game engine for machinima with a bunch of head bobbing and static shots. It looks terrible, the script is awful and only three characters show up, two of whom are unfunny assholes and Tucker, who has three lines in the entire series.

Jesus Christ is that actually what Red vs Blue is now? loving insane, it was such a fun and simple premise. I'll still rewatch the first five seasons now and again, holds up pretty well (aside from some very early 2000s jokes)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Red Vs Blue hasn't been worth watching since 2010 imo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Thom12255 posted:

Red Vs Blue hasn't been worth watching since 2010 imo.

Original 5 seasons or bust. Idk when exactly it turned into whatever the hell it is now but I have no fond memories of any of the Halo 3 based seasons

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Is something hosed with the networking right now or something? I queued for a big team battle, it took like four attempts to connect to a match (found a match, started to connect and then went back to finding match) and when it finally connected to one nine people instantly disconnected putting me in a lovely 4v2 match (one of my team quit out).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I expect a hot fix will come momentarily.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Oh that's neat, there's a menu for like, the terminals and H2A cutscenes now. Even has Another Day at the Beach.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Halo CE Mod tools also got an update and relaunch today.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/976730/view/3007823106801144958

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah I'm seeing the wonky matchmaking behavior as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ablative posted:

Oh that's neat, there's a menu for like, the terminals and H2A cutscenes now. Even has Another Day at the Beach.

That's cool. I've given up on trying to find some of the terminals in Halo 4.

I wonder if they'll ever go back to an OG campaign experience where it's a one and done loading screen that doesn't spoil the next level.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I miss the tank background.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
when I get back from vacay im gonna try to put some time into reach, halo infinite sounds great

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The armor customization looks like it's drawing much more from Reach than 4 or 5 and that makes me quite happy, alongside the first season for infinite being based around Noble Team armor compositions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey in Sacred Icon and Quarantine Zone the Flood break out of the big wall and then we're shown that they're being led by a Gravemind. Now the Flood need bodies to spread the infection, right? The quarantine zone was there for thousands of years and the Gravemind was active before the zone was breached by the Covenant and Humans. How exactly did the Gravemind grow so big over the years without fresh bodies to grow? Unless it ate everything else on the Ring years ago.

A plot oversight in a Halo game?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I played a little over half of the Halo 4 campaign (through the way too long Mammoth/Ship/Weird Book poo poo/Tanks) level. Its better than I remember from my one time with it when it was new but still not great.

I've been playing through the games in release order, so going from Reach to 4 makes the art/sound choices seem even worse. Reach was able to change up how things looked and felt but kept it grounded even that everything still felt like Halo put from a new perspective. Things only moved like 1-2 steps away from classic and there were enough things that were exactly the same that was still familiar enough. Changing absolutely everything for 4 broke that and they made things too different. Grunts and Jackals look like completely different aliens. I hate that all of the Covenant weapons sound clicky instead of hot.

The Prometheans are all ugly and bad to fight.

Too much of the game demands mid to long range fights. Good thing there are 2 pistols, 4 precision midrange weapons and 3 sniper rifles that are all basically the same within their category.

Cortana had always been getting hornier designs as time went on but Halo 4 went too far from 'feminine shaped Hologram' to outright 'dummy thicc naked blue lady.'

I'll probably finish the last three levels today. I haven't played Halo 5 at all before so I'm interested to see if it improves on any of these issues or just doubles down while creating new ones.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
just did a round of big team battle heavies after not playing halo in a long time and now i remember why i love halo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Playing big team heavies makes me hate Halo.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Playing big team heavies makes me hate Halo.

you're a bad person that makes life worse for others

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tighclops posted:

you're a bad person that makes life worse for others

I'm a person who doesn't like getting spawn camped by a scorpion and banshee combo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is there a way to change seats in Halo Reach? I can't seem to find a binding for it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Change seats?

If you mean change classes I believe the key is L.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Don’t think you can change seats while riding in a vehicle until Halo 5.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

General Battuta posted:

Don’t think you can change seats while riding in a vehicle until Halo 5.

ah ok ty

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm a person who doesn't like getting spawn camped by a scorpion and banshee combo.

Yea but when you're the sky god in the banshee it rules.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Uh excuse you 4v4 BR only final destination no armor abilities IS halo. Why would you want to play anything other than a slow paced game with one weapon and no movement modifiers?

Don't look at those losers in the warthog power sliding around a corner to dodge a rocket while blazing bullets. They're not really having fun because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

BTB Heavies in Reach was peak Halo for me and I hated every time my friends wanted to play SWAT. That's ok though, my BIL loved Heavies too and we would roll out in splitscreen for ages, until his 360 drew its last breath.

Good times.