Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Can't wait to see what's in store for the Mediterranean. Feels like it's going to be a WHY MAN specific arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Why-Man might be trying to protect humanity from an external threat to specifically technological life, in the manner of Inhibitors/Reapers/Antispirals, or some similar dark forest scenario. But those usually also have a quasi-benevolent explanation so I think Why-Man just being such a system itself is more likely.

I also think it's interesting how limited they are, like they haven't just loaded a new medusa batch on a rocket and launched it at Earth, nor have they attempted to communicate intelligently or even send particularly coherent statements. So possibly they aren't the proper operator of whatever monolith farm is on the moon and instead are a partial AI swinging wildly with technology they don't understand or something like that.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
We're also left to wonder why it rained medusas on treasure island. I don't think they had any advanced tech, so why did the Why Man attack them? Does it have other conditions for attack?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I Am Fowl posted:

We're also left to wonder why it rained medusas on treasure island. I don't think they had any advanced tech, so why did the Why Man attack them? Does it have other conditions for attack?

Why-Man rained Medusas on the island because it blames Byakuya and the others for the crime of Dr. Stone: Byakuya and its sexy robot.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Z=202. Ryusui Corp.
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009400
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-202/chapter/22712?action=read

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

That sound effect :discourse:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Stone World well on its way to death by high cholesterol.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Fun Fact about this week's Dr Stone: Olive trees are some of the most long-lived trees on Earth! Some still living today may be thousands of years old, and they still bear fruit, such as the Olive Tree of Vouves. So the trees they harvest in this week's chapter are quite possibly trees from our time.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

I Am Fowl posted:

Fun Fact about this week's Dr Stone: Olive trees are some of the most long-lived trees on Earth! Some still living today may be thousands of years old, and they still bear fruit, such as the Olive Tree of Vouves. So the trees they harvest in this week's chapter are quite possibly trees from our time.

Na niiiiiii?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Imagine being a Spanish person whose last memory was a wall of light before everything went black, and you wake up rear end naked in some post-apocalyptic forest being watched over by some Japanese teenagers dressed in furs and skins and they point to a table in the middle of a clearing full of vague approximations of your regional dishes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

Imagine being a Spanish person whose last memory was a wall of light before everything went black, and you wake up rear end naked in some post-apocalyptic forest being watched over by some Japanese teenagers dressed in furs and skins and they point to a table in the middle of a clearing full of vague approximations of your regional dishes.

:airquote:Vague approximations:airquote:? I see you're underestimating Francois.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

:airquote:Vague approximations:airquote:? I see you're underestimating Francois.

I'm sure that Francois can make authentic everything given the materials, but they're working with scratch or improvised ingredients.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a lot of ingredients take time to process.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kanos posted:

I'm sure that Francois can make authentic everything given the materials, but they're working with scratch or improvised ingredients.

Lookit this joker here, hasn't eaten in 3,000 years but will still complain that there's not enough saffron in the paella

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

"Why Why Why" + "Do you wanna die" => "Why do you wanna die?"

Also buying into the misguided protector theory.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eej posted:

Lookit this joker here, hasn't eaten in 3,000 years but will still complain that there's not enough saffron in the paella

Look, if the paella doesn't have enough saffron, it's not really paella and stop calling it that. :colbert:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm still kinda iffy on them bringing back capitalism.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mikl posted:

It's the weirdest running plot point because it was originally brought up as a gag that made no sense(we need to incentivize people to work harder by offering them worthless currency!) but it keeps coming up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

It's the weirdest running plot point because it was originally brought up as a gag that made no sense(we need to incentivize people to work harder by offering them worthless currency!) but it keeps coming up.

Mikl posted:

I think the coins are another gag here

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Thinking about all the animals living in that natural dam that just got remorselessly blown up

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

RIP Beavers

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Anti-ship missile aquired.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Z=203. Missile Heart
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009560
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-203/chapter/22764?action=read

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Could you please stop making increasingly dangerous and deadly weapons?!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mikl posted:

Science says... NO.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Nice them explaining why busting through the Suez was a more practical idea than Panama--shows consideration went into the plot!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Looking forward to a 3 week timeskip after Suika accidentally grounds the ship

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Better yet. They have to turn back because the Evergiven is still lodged in there under the tree dam.

edit: I'd kill for an edit where the smoke from the explosion clears dbz style revealing the unblemished stern of the Evergiven.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 5, 2021

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mikl posted:

Damned if you do, dammed if you don't.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mikl posted:

I feel like this could be important down the road if Why Man forces Senku to evaluate that science leads to violence.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

remember when senku made a sulfuric gas bomb

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing about Science is that it is basically impossible to have science as a thing without creating weapons either intentionally or unintentionally, especially if you're making a loving space rocket. There a ton of things in the basic concept that can be weaponized fairly easily. Trying to avoid dealing with the fact that the creation of weaponry is an inevitable biproduct of scientific discovery isn't really possible. "Science can also be very dangerous" is also part of the series but the major key is that the dangerous things are a stepping stone on the road to positive things and not their end goal.

At the end of the day trying to pretend something doesn't exist because it could have dangerous consequences just isn't Senku's style because he acknowledges all parts of science as a creative force.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
The Kzinti lesson from Larry Niven: "a reaction drive's efficiency as a weapon is in direct proportion to its efficiency as a drive." It's a great take on the dual practicality/lethality of tech.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Mikl posted:

But Senku is the science user of light!

(Seriously if this is the poo poo he's doing than what the gently caress is Xeno up to)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
One of the things I always enjoy about this manga is it's sheer pacing. Like this problem. Problem found, immediately solved with a little science.
Yet at the same time I miss some of the earlier wonder.

Mulderman posted:

But Senku is the science user of light!

(Seriously if this is the poo poo he's doing than what the gently caress is Xeno up to)

You know, the usual. Shooting babies into space to determine the amount of thrust we can survive.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Darth TNT posted:

One of the things I always enjoy about this manga is it's sheer pacing. Like this problem. Problem found, immediately solved with a little science.
Yet at the same time I miss some of the earlier wonder.

You know, the usual. Shooting babies into space to determine the amount of thrust we can survive.

The fact that they skip over things like "Wouldn't it take something like 2-3 years for a crew of 10 people to build a ship like you have considering you have to start by literally mining ore" by handwaving that they have an old dude that builds poo poo in a matter of days.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't really mind glossing over the long boring parts of constructing stuff (and the manga actually does a pretty good job of depicting the passage of time via moon phases etc), but I wish they wouldn't also gloss over the cool science explanations or the descriptions of how difficult this particular technological breakthrough is to actually achieve.

Compare the chapters where Senku synthesized the sulfa drug or made the power station to the recent chapters.

That said a lot of the cool science stuff is still happening in the panels, you just have to pay careful attention, like how Ryusui takes over controlling the missile while on the hot-air balloon because their radar range is still limited and that'll be an issue they'll need to fix in the future if they want to be able to communicate with the rocket.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't really mind glossing over the long boring parts of constructing stuff (and the manga actually does a pretty good job of depicting the passage of time via moon phases etc), but I wish they wouldn't also gloss over the cool science explanations or the descriptions of how difficult this particular technological breakthrough is to actually achieve.

Compare the chapters where Senku synthesized the sulfa drug or made the power station to the recent chapters.

I'm kinda here. I like the manga in its current form, but I think I enjoyed it more when it really emphasized exactly how complicated and involved a lot of science that is simply taken for granted now actually is.

Senku going through an incredibly long, multi-step process that requires him to jump through a ton of hoops and enlist the help of a bunch of people to accomplish seemingly basic things like "make an incredibly lovely electrical generator" made the whole thing feel like a big gushing love letter to science in a way that "Kaseki cobbles together a rocket in 5 panels" doesn't really.

Suika's trials were the first bit that recaptured that feel in a while for me.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

That said a lot of the cool science stuff is still happening in the panels, you just have to pay careful attention, like how Ryusui takes over controlling the missile while on the hot-air balloon because their radar range is still limited and that'll be an issue they'll need to fix in the future if they want to be able to communicate with the rocket.

This manga is probably my most dense PAY ATTENTION TO EVERY PANEL manga I've ever read. There's usually so much detail in them with call backs and tiny explanations like Ryusui controlling the missile.

Kanos posted:

I'm kinda here. I like the manga in its current form, but I think I enjoyed it more when it really emphasized exactly how complicated and involved a lot of science that is simply taken for granted now actually is.

Senku going through an incredibly long, multi-step process that requires him to jump through a ton of hoops and enlist the help of a bunch of people to accomplish seemingly basic things like "make an incredibly lovely electrical generator" made the whole thing feel like a big gushing love letter to science in a way that "Kaseki cobbles together a rocket in 5 panels" doesn't really.

Suika's trials were the first bit that recaptured that feel in a while for me.

Same. That's exactly what I meant to say. Is it good? Hell yeah. And I really appreciate that this manga doesn't do padding. But I just miss that earlier bit of discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Z=204. The Universe is Written in the Language of Mathematics
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009561
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-204/chapter/22795?action=read