Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Soul Glo posted:

in contrast to dark alliance i installed minecraft dungeons because i just wanted to play something like diablo, and it is delightful.

It's fun and is the perfect dad/kid game. It's the first game that really clicked for my 6 year old and now she's badass at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

BonoMan posted:

It's fun and is the perfect dad/kid game. It's the first game that really clicked for my 6 year old and now she's badass at it.

Yeah I played a bit to see the gap before my 4 yo can play. It's a bit above Lego games in complexity so he's probably good sometime next year.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve been playing a lot more Far Cry 5 with FPS boost on and I really don’t think I like this particular implementation. The 60 FPS is great but the dramatic loss to visual quality is just a bit much.

I’m quite sure the series X could pump out a higher resolution but ya know I’m sure that would take effort on UBIsofts part to fix.

I love 60 FPS but I think I’m gonna have to go back to the much prettier 30FPs mode.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve been playing a lot more Far Cry 5 with FPS boost on and I really don’t think I like this particular implementation. The 60 FPS is great but the dramatic loss to visual quality is just a bit much.

I’m quite sure the series X could pump out a higher resolution but ya know I’m sure that would take effort on UBIsofts part to fix.

I love 60 FPS but I think I’m gonna have to go back to the much prettier 30FPs mode.

FPS Boost is way less cool than it seems. You have games like FC5 that have to drop the resolution to get the boost, and you have a bunch of games like Watch Dogs 2 or Dragon Age Inquisition that never got a One X patch, so they're 900p and have other issues like bad shadows or LOD. They're so ugly the frame boost doesn't make that much of a difference.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Big Bidness posted:

They're so ugly the frame boost doesn't make that much of a difference.

Yeah this is where I’m at with it. I was watching some DF videos on it last night to make sure I wasn’t just being nitpicky and while there are a few games that benefit sometimes it’s just not worth it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Playing an open world game at 60fps is a massive improvement.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Big Bidness posted:

FPS Boost is way less cool than it seems. You have games like FC5 that have to drop the resolution to get the boost, and you have a bunch of games like Watch Dogs 2 or Dragon Age Inquisition that never got a One X patch, so they're 900p and have other issues like bad shadows or LOD. They're so ugly the frame boost doesn't make that much of a difference.

No way. I’ll take 60fps over any graphics.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
It's weird. I have Far Cry 5 and with dynamic Rez on PC it looked great with all high settings at 1080p.

Did they just lower the settings to avoid Rez scaling being brutal?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MJBuddy posted:

It's weird. I have Far Cry 5 and with dynamic Rez on PC it looked great with all high settings at 1080p.

Did they just lower the settings to avoid Rez scaling being brutal?

It uses the One S version so it’s very low res, lower than 1080p

Belan
May 7, 2007
Games that have trouble hitting 60fps FPS boost lowers resolution only, I don't think other settings get touched?

quote:

In some instances, because there are higher graphics requirements to enable FPS Boost technology, we’ve had to reduce a game’s resolution to ensure it both runs smoothly and plays great. In those select cases, FPS Boost is not automatically enabled for Xbox Series X gamers, but can easily be turned on under the Compatibility Options in the Manage game and add-ons setting.

https://majornelson.com/fpsboost/

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Big Bidness posted:

FPS Boost is way less cool than it seems.

Nah it's cool. I'm loving replaying the Ezio Collection at 60 fps.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it’s really cool. Doubling (or quadrupling!) framerate without touching any game code is really impressive.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Anthem got crazy smooth with FPS Boost enabled, but you can see the resolution hit with on-screen text (I guess it's rendered in the world? usually UI is always native)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah it’s really cool. Doubling (or quadrupling!) framerate without touching any game code is really impressive.

What if I told you there was a gaming console that could do that for the last 25 years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No way. I’ll take 60fps over any graphics.

I said that till I played FC5.

It uses the One S version so it’s very low res, lower than 1080p

Yeah which is the issue for me.

I’m a 60 FPS fan boy but at least give me 1080p for it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

What if I told you there was a gaming console that could do that for the last 25 years.

I would say that I'm not interested in kickstarter funded hentai games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

What’s it called

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The X-Box LIgma

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sounds weird

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

exquisite tea posted:

I’d say you were lying

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
nfs looks so fuckin good with 60fps

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

heehee posted:

Yeah resolution definitely goes a way to making older games look better. It's sorta iOS-game lookin but plays great.

Glad they added the uncapped FPS+graphics mode to let it run free.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Finally trying fallout 3 again since I gave up halfway during the 360 era. I dont know how I played so much new vegas with those like minute load times for every area. It's so much more tolerable now with nearly no loading and quick resume.

heehee posted:

Is there simply no way to do solo runs and races without doing career mode stuff?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

so much for Autolog and personal EA accounts when it won't even import my progress from the Switch version :mad:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Seltzer posted:

Finally trying fallout 3 again since I gave up halfway during the 360 era. I dont know how I played so much new vegas with those like minute load times for every area. It's so much more tolerable now with nearly no loading and quick resume.

I'm still hoping for an fps boost for F3 and NV, if that is even possible.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

At the least I wish they would update their Xbox 360 emulator and make getting into the games faster.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If you're playing the only videogame worth playing (Twitter) and are wondering why Phil Spencer is trending with everyone talking about what a piece of poo poo he is, maybe you should reflect on that.

Also it's not Xbox's Phil Spencer, but a British TV personality with the same name.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh deer

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

All I see is Grand Prix stuff, football stuff, legs (?), political stuff and Chainsaw Man, which was an immediate click and holy poo poo I don't know what the heck but it looks awesome :stare:

This dude has a chainsaw for a head but also arms as well?! Somebody get Platinum Games to make a game based on this please.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

univbee posted:

Also it's not Xbox's Phil Spencer, but a British TV personality with the same name.

Quit playin games with my heart

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

Microsoft's statement on Xbox 360 games getting this treatment is "we're still evaluating". There's some trickery involved that bypasses a game's original framerate cap, but the tweaks have to be adapted to each game and it's possible that they don't play nice with their 360 emulation by default.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

They've already done some really nice upgrades to Xbox and Xbox 360 games like Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War 3 and SSX3 but I'm not sure if any of the updated BC games got framerate boosts. Maybe on the Series consoles it's possible since CPU power has seen such a huge leap? If they're giving FPS boosts to BC One games I imagine that given their prior work with older BC games it's a possibility now. I think the BC team is probably going to be focusing on FPS boosts for a while at least, we've had two batches of titles now and I don't see them stopping. I think some Fallout games have been FPS boosted as well but it was from the One generation, not further back. They have eyes on the IP however so F3 & NV probably have a higher chance than other titles.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've also noticed that some games such as Fallout 3 and Oblivion have the GOTY edition on game pass for PC but not on Xbox, what would be the reason for that?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Console gamers are probably more likely to spend the $5 for the upgrade.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

I'm not sure if any of the updated BC games got framerate boosts.

They did not, outside of any uncapped games hitting their unlocked rate, so stuff like GTA IV finally hits 60fps by brute force.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

I've also noticed that some games such as Fallout 3 and Oblivion have the GOTY edition on game pass for PC but not on Xbox, what would be the reason for that?
Gotta keep something for later Game Pass updates. New Vegas was the reverse up until recently, only being available on console but not PC.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

They did not, outside of any uncapped games hitting their unlocked rate, so stuff like GTA IV finally hits 60fps by brute force.
Unfortunately (last I checked) the last mission in GTA4 is bugged on XSX, the high fps messes up the prompt to get on a helicopter and needs some workaround with a second controller.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

John F Bennett posted:

The GOTY editions of the 360 Fallout games aren’t even on the store from what I could see.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah you gotta buy all the DLC or use the 2nd disk of the physical. Same for oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

J-Spot posted:

The GOTY editions of the 360 Fallout games aren’t even on the store from what I could see.

Oh wow, never realized that. Even though Bethesda re-released both of them as Xbox One-era compilations that had all the DLC wrapped into it, so 'GOTY/Ultimate Edition' BC versions do exist on their servers.

Just checked and they ported over all the New Vegas DLC to the new store interface, except Old World Blues. That one still requires you to access the old 360 web store for whatever reason.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/fallout-new-vegas-old-world-blues-english/bvsqzxrz9jtv