Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

CommonShore posted:

It’s a fight night breakdown

Great breakthrough, though Avila is, to my knowledge, an American. When the Stoliarenko fight fell through the last time, she was kicked out of her gym by her coach who had already made the most passive-aggressive social media post ever that basically read "haha, y'all better watch out for Avila, 'cuz she's so badass that she tore her own coaches' knee to shreds... trying to keep a positive attitude and not let it get to me... but seriously, if she'd do that to me, imagine what she'll do to her next opponent." Haven't heard where she ended up since, though James Krause invited her over.

Also sorta interesting (probably just to me, though) that Dalby and Hadzovic are both fighting at the same card. I was in the same gym as them a few years ago, but all the Denmark-based UFC fighters -- Damir, Pannie, Burnell -- jumped to a rival gym with Dalby being the only one to stick around the much smaller and, honestly, less UFC-appropriate place to train. Always rooting for both guys, though Burnell is definitely the one guy from this region that should be in the UFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Skjorte posted:

Great breakthrough, though Avila is, to my knowledge, an American. When the Stoliarenko fight fell through the last time, she was kicked out of her gym by her coach who had already made the most passive-aggressive social media post ever that basically read "haha, y'all better watch out for Avila, 'cuz she's so badass that she tore her own coaches' knee to shreds... trying to keep a positive attitude and not let it get to me... but seriously, if she'd do that to me, imagine what she'll do to her next opponent." Haven't heard where she ended up since, though James Krause invited her over.

Also sorta interesting (probably just to me, though) that Dalby and Hadzovic are both fighting at the same card. I was in the same gym as them a few years ago, but all the Denmark-based UFC fighters -- Damir, Pannie, Burnell -- jumped to a rival gym with Dalby being the only one to stick around the much smaller and, honestly, less UFC-appropriate place to train. Always rooting for both guys, though Burnell is definitely the one guy from this region that should be in the UFC.

Joachim Christensen isn't in the UFC anymore, eh?

Oh yeah, very much not. Looks like he did pick up a win, but his last fight was scheduled for March, and he scratched due to illness on the day of.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Heavyweight still isn't a young division, but all of a sudden 7 of the top 11 (top 10 + Ngannou) are under 35 years old. Considering how ancient the division felt a few years ago, that seems like progress. Nevertheless, I am not excited to watch Ciryl Gane and Volkov jab each other for half an hour

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
forgot to ask, if anyone wants to do the guest recap for June hit me up

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Moicano vs Herbert will be FOTN

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

reeg posted:

Heavyweight still isn't a young division, but all of a sudden 7 of the top 11 (top 10 + Ngannou) are under 35 years old. Considering how ancient the division felt a few years ago, that seems like progress. Nevertheless, I am not excited to watch Ciryl Gane and Volkov jab each other for half an hour

I suspect Volkov will out jab him, and counter him if Gane doesn't show more variety than in his last fight. It COULD be a good fight. I'm reasonably interested in this card.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm sure that Gane has more depth to his game than he dhowed in his last fight. It's just that against Bigi Boi it would be completely reckless to deviate from an approach that was winning the fight as completely and thoroughly as "move sideways and jab" was.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

CommonShore posted:

This is an extremely important fight for Moicano because he is visibly an elite fighter in terms of his skills, but he needs to stop losing fights and start winning them instead.

I hate that Moicano is so great but he can't win. That Kattar fight is so fantastic. I hope he turns it around but it doesn't look like it. He's 32 so he's not in his prime any more and if he loses this I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Also Elliott/Su Mudaerji is off as the Tibetan did his knee in sparring

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Flaskraven posted:

I hate that Moicano is so great but he can't win. That Kattar fight is so fantastic. I hope he turns it around but it doesn't look like it. He's 32 so he's not in his prime any more and if he loses this I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut.

I thought he was more like 28. drat.

You know, I'll update my post with some of this info, like Avilla being American and that the Elliott fight is actually off.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore posted:

Lightweight Renato Moicano vs Jai Herbert
Moicano was hot poo poo at Featherweight, except for his fights with Ortega, Aldo, and TKZ. He moved up to lightweight and looked like a wizard in his debut, but then got Fizieved in his follow up. This is an extremely important fight for Moicano because he is visibly an elite fighter in terms of his skills, but he needs to stop losing fights and start winning them instead. His chin may be suspect. Herbert is a good test for him. I often criticize the UFC for throwing younger fighters to the wolves repeatedly but that’s not what we have here. He’s a 10-1 English striker who got KOed by Trinaldo back in July. This is a perfect check for Moicano to get a win, get some confidence and work his way into showing that he’s a Charles Olivera and not a Phillipe Nover. But he also might get KOed.

e. apparently Moicano is 32 - I thought he was 28 or even younger. That's a big difference in terms of how much fire a promoter should be putting underneath a fighter. The matchmaking seems more appropriate in that light, because with a 32 year old highly ranked fighter the conversation is more like "take some big, challenging fights so you can show us what you can do before you get too old to begin a title run," whereas with a 28 year old fighter you're trying to set them up so that they're in a good place when they hit 32.

:hmmyes:Bantamweight Julia Avila vs Julija Stoliarenko
Wow we have two people from the two bloodiest fights ever on this card (Dalby being the other). Stoliarenko is a former Invicta title challenger who was in a crazy bloody fight last March. She has had less success in the UFC since, being held against the cage by Yana Kunitskaya for 3 rounds in August. She has also fought Lethwei. Avila is a Brazilian who is 2-1 in the UFC, with a win over Pannie Kianzad (saw her last week) and a loss to Sijara Eubanks. This fight had been scheduled for March but Stoliarenko fainted backstage or something.

e. I'm told that she's American and that she has had some serious disruption to her coaching team in recent months so we'll see what's up.

Flyweight Tim Elliott vs Su Mudaerji
Elliot is a hillbilly who won TUF and got smacked around by Demetrious Johnson. He has a goofy fighting style but he has become bad at winning fights. He’s on a 2-fight streak against weak opposition. “The Tibetan Eagle” Mudaerji is a Tibetan who is 3-1 in the UFC, but I don’t remember his fights.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

More info about the Luis Peña arrest came out and it's not good. One more shithead in the fightgame

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/31694397/ufc-fighter-luis-pena-charged-robbery-battery-alleged-assault-girlfriend

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
TUF Recap!

Episode 4: On My Time

Team Volko, more like Team Volk0-3, am i rite???

Ryder wants Tresean to win the whole competition. Tresean is honored to have shared the cage with Ryder, even if God didn't grant him the opportunity to win by KO. They are determined to team up and beat the rest of the house at foosball.

Volkanovski gives a motivational speech about gettin the vibes up, bby! Michael Chiesa shows up as a guest coach for Volko and is here for Team Sikjitsu training partner Brady Hiestand's birthday.

Tresean invites Ortega and the coaches over for steak dinner. Vincent Murdock, who's fighting next, seems to be enjoying a sea moss smoothie. The guys bond over being dads.

Vincent Murdock Fight Prep!

Team Ortega is reviewing Dustin Lampros's Tapology rankings and believe Dustin is lacking in experience. Sounds like they want to drag him into deep waters and watch Dustin break due to the pressure. Vincent is looking to showcase "last pick, motherfucker!" powers.

Lampros and I think Hiestand share tragic stories over piles of leafy greens. Lampros's mom had some bad neck surgeries and ended up getting addicted to pain pills. Dustin says he was living in Florida for 3 years, but moved back home because his younger brother was entering 8th grade and his mom was dealing with addiction. He says he told his mom that this situation was affecting him, so Dustin moved back to Florida, and a few weeks later, his mom had passed.

Dustin Lampros Home Video

Dustin's out of Boca Raton, but is originally from a small town in Illinois. He was bullied by a kid in school and wanted to learn how to kick the kid's rear end. He met Tyron Woodley and ended up training at Woodley's gym for a bit, before moving to south Florida. He's currently training out of Sanford MMA, and he gets an endorsement from Mike Chandler on his home video.

Dustin Lampros Fight Prep!

The main thrust for this segment seems to be Dustin getting his weight down while maintaining good energy in the fight. Dustin's nickname is "Scrappy" so the gameplan is to push the pace and be aggressive against Vince.

Vince explains that in 2019, he got a call from the UFC, but the day before his fight, his brain scan showed an abnormality that ended up being a disease called moyamoya, which is when the arteries in the brain get blocked at the base. It put him at risk for a stroke, so he had 11-hour emergency brain surgery. He says had someone not let go of a choke or if he didn't tap to a choke, he could have died from moyamoya. He came back after 6 months and he got cleared for competition.

Vincent Murdock Home Movie!

Vince is in Sacramento, training out of Team Alpha Male, which is odd because he seems to own and wear t-shirts. Vince says he met his wife as wingman for Clay Guida meeting a lady at a bar, who had a friend in tow.

We're finally looking at weight cutting, and Dustin is in the portable sauna. Volkanovski and crew show up to help with the cut. Dustin's around 147 the day before weigh-ins. Dustin is impressed that Volko is with him the whole time, helping him cut weight. Dustin is a little heavy, so he's gotta get dude and go behind the apron of shame. He's still a little heavy, so he has one extra hour remaining to cut less than a pound. On attempt #2, Dustin hits the limit, so the fight is on!

Today's TUF Flashback is the TOTES EPICCCC PRANK WARZZZZZ BETWEEN BISPING AND MAYHEM MILLER. REMEMBER WHEN THEY TOOK THE TIRES OFF JASON'S CAR OR WHEN THEY BLOCKED IN BISPING'S TRUCK WITH HUGE CONCRETE BARRICADES? OR WHEN THEY FIRE EXTINGUISHER'D DUDES IN THE LOCKER ROOM, OR USED THE POWER OF MARIACHI TO ASSAULT THE OTHER GUYS? BROOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Tale of the Tape

Dustin Lampros
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 136lbs
Reach: 69.5"

Vincent Murdock
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 136lbs
Reach: 64.5"

Round 1

Dustin starts with a heavy low kick. Vince looks for a big right hand, but Dustin avoids it. Vince briefly changes level, but Dustin shucks him off. Vince lands some good low kicks. Both guys aggressive, closing distance and landing some good shots.

Vince lands a huge right hand that drops Dustin. Vince pounces, Dustin tries to get back up, but Vince hits a huge knee that drops Dustin again and the fight is over.

Team Volkanovski is 0-4. Oofa-doofa.

Volko is peeved that Ortega and his crew are constantly late, and Ortega says Volk should focus on winning the fights, not on Oretga being late, and it sounds like he says Team Volk is poo poo. Everyone starts bickering and it is very dumb and high school bullshit.

Fight Announcement!

Kemran Lachinov vs Bryan Battle

It's last pick versus last pick to determine who truly is the least good middleweight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Everybody loves bad middleweights

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Moicano is good as hell.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I completely forgot Mayhem was a coach on TUF, gross

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1407773468893093891?s=20
He’s selling borz tickets and y’all eating them right up

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1407773468893093891?s=20
He’s selling borz tickets and y’all eating them right up

lmao

So good, I hope rockhold goes for one more run he'd be good for some inadvertant comedy, hes got huge 80s jock energy about him.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
I hope Rockhold gets a short notice title fight and knocks Adesanya out in the first round.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Flaskraven posted:

I hope Rockhold gets a short notice title fight and knocks Adesanya out in the first round.

It's a little predictable as far as MMA comedies go, but I'd still watch it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Flaskraven posted:

Bisping would come flying down the ramp WWE style and take it back

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
He'd be 5ft away.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

DC: That's michael bisping's music!!!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

beep by grandpa posted:

DC: That's michael bisping's music!!!

“WOO HOO!”

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

chaleski posted:

I completely forgot Mayhem was a coach on TUF, gross

in retrospect, yes, but on the show he seemed like a really affable and effective coach. even if he wasn't in direct contrast with bisping. his subsequent hijinks genuinely shocked me after his tuf appearance.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

lmao

So good, I hope rockhold goes for one more run he'd be good for some inadvertant comedy, hes got huge 80s jock energy about him.

It's amazing how every one of his losses is him getting knocked out by someone who, on paper, he's way better than, and he still won't keep his loving hands up. There's a level on which you have to admire that kind of dedication to losing fights in really stupid way.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Kevin Lee is out of his fight next week with Sean Brady. Bummer, I'm still hoping he can pull it together

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Kevin Lee peaked a while ago, unfortunately

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Screama posted:

Kevin Lee peaked a while ago, unfortunately

You say that, but he's now tattooed a helmet on his head in order to boost his motivation: https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/6/24/22549137/ufc-kevin-lee-talks-head-tattoo-warrior-helmet-motivation-mma-news

This is surely a winning strategy.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
:eyepop:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Has anyone who adopts the patented alpha male warrior prince of war bringer of chaos mentality ever been good for any sustainable period of time ever

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

in retrospect, yes, but on the show he seemed like a really affable and effective coach. even if he wasn't in direct contrast with bisping. his subsequent hijinks genuinely shocked me after his tuf appearance.

I agree. He was one of the best coaches on TUF, and definitely one of the ones who I least expected would be a great coach (probably Sonnen and GSP are the other best ones that I recall).

From what I've seen Mayhem seems legitimately mentally ill, and I don't think it's entirely related to being punched in the head. I have a strongly schizophrenic friend (who is now very self-aware and keeps himself rigorously medicated), and lots of Mayhem's spiral echoes his experience.

As a consequence I have more sympathy for him than I do for the ones who are woman-beating bullies e.g. Luis Pena. I know that Mayhem had some domestic violence incidents too, but I'm more inclined to give someone a tiny amount of benefit of the doubt that they're not a (deliberate) abuser when it's interspersed with being found naked babbling messianic nonsense in a church in the middle of the night. Often people with these kinds of delusional/reality bending complexes literally don't what's going on around them and when they commit violent acts it's because they believe that they're in circumstances that are completely disconnected from reality (e.g. Vincent Li).

I hope he's getting the help he needs.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

Has anyone who adopts the patented alpha male warrior prince of war bringer of chaos mentality ever been good for any sustainable period of time ever

Maybe at one time, but it really seems like a huge chunk of the top guys in the UFC these days don't really fit this uh, mold. Probably cause it leads to training like an idiot.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

beep by grandpa posted:

I can't think of anything right now but didn't some Brazilian fighter get 'ufc is my life' tattooed on him somewhere? Sorry kiddos, daddy's playing real life Tekken to have room for you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Reminder that it's an early fight card tomorrow. Use googles for local times. Prelims start around noon in North America.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

CommonShore posted:

Reminder that it's an early fight card tomorrow. Use googles for local times. Prelims start around noon in North America.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
UFC in the morning thread

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Teddy Atlas usually has pretty great interviews, especially with fighters

Check this one out with Moreno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHXZCUK5KEI

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I am getting more and more annoyed every time I hear about this so-called "motivated conor" as a get out of jail free card for getting his rear end handed to him by Poirier. God I'm excited for July 10th to see him do it again :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

I am getting more and more annoyed every time I hear about this so-called "motivated conor" as a get out of jail free card for getting his rear end handed to him by Poirier. God I'm excited for July 10th to see him do it again :getin:

Yeah I tend to agree, by all accounts conor prepares well and hard for every fight. Even if his choice of coaching and training partners isn't what I would consider ideal. People seem to forget that Dustin Porier is a world class contender and one of the best two or three lightweights in the world.