Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
They aren't the best, but the IKEA buttons are cheap enough for me to pick one up whenever I want one quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

smackfu posted:

We have one of those keypads next to our garage door that lets you open it without a remote. I would love to have one that worked like a smart lock and I could just hold my phone up to it to unlock.

This doesn’t exist right?

Why do you specifically want to hold your phone to it?

If you want something that just works, the august locks unlock once in Bluetooth range (in practice it’s about 10-15 feet). I have one and really like it. It also hooks directly to your current deadbolt.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You could do the Chamberlin thing, and put a NFC tag there to generate the action. At least for ios, but you may need Home Assistant for the garage door (or pay Chamberlin, I forget how they paywall it).

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sure it does, we have them at work. Don’t know about home-grade stuff though.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Has anyone read much on exactly how much data is extracted and then used or sold to third parties regarding home automation or home security?

I have to imagine Ring, Alexa, Nest, etc. is mining an absolutely massive amount of data from their customers daily. I'm most interested in a security system that is easy to setup but won't mine and sell my data if at all possible. I'm decent with software but absolutely dogshit when it comes to hardware, so I worry that the truly private mostly self built/installed systems are beyond me. I've read a lot of great recommendations but was simply curious if anyone has good reading available about this. My google-fu didn't turn up a whole hell of a lot, though I haven't really dug in yet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What do you mean by security system? If you’re talking just about cameras then there’s solutions like Blue Iris that you can setup a local camera system with single gateway to view remotely that you have total control over.

If you’re talking more security devices then the water gets a bit muddied but it’s still doable.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Does anyone know of a RGB bulb that meets the following specifications?:

NOT Tuya based
Works with Home Assistant (natively, or easily flashable to some alternative firmware that does work well with HA... Tuya bulbs are not)
Wifi, Zwave, or Zigbee.
Color brightness/lumens is not 5% of the regular/white part of the bulb.
US-120v/60hz compatible.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

stevewm posted:

Does anyone know of a RGB bulb that meets the following specifications?:

NOT Tuya based
Works with Home Assistant (natively, or easily flashable to some alternative firmware that does work well with HA... Tuya bulbs are not)
Wifi, Zwave, or Zigbee.
Color brightness/lumens is not 5% of the regular/white part of the bulb.
US-120v/60hz compatible.

I'm not sure what you mean about the color brightness, but I am using these Innr Zigbee RGB smart bulbs in several fixtures. They work perfectly with HA and my generic Zigbee/Zwave USB stick.

The color is good, and the white is very bright and basically indistinguishable from a non-RGB bulb.

They're a little pricey at around $25 each, but still cheaper than Hue.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm not sure what you mean about the color brightness, but I am using these Innr Zigbee RGB smart bulbs in several fixtures. They work perfectly with HA and my generic Zigbee/Zwave USB stick.

The color is good, and the white is very bright and basically indistinguishable from a non-RGB bulb.

They're a little pricey at around $25 each, but still cheaper than Hue.

The few RGB bulbs I've tried have all been disappointing when it came to colors... the RGB part has always been maybe 5% the brightness of the white. Granted though my experience so far has only been with Tuya based bulbs.

Those look like a fantastic alternative.

Which zigbee/zwave stick do you use?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

stevewm posted:

The few RGB bulbs I've tried have all been disappointing when it came to colors... the RGB part has always been maybe 5% the brightness of the white. Granted though my experience so far has only been with Tuya based bulbs.

Those look like a fantastic alternative.

Which zigbee/zwave stick do you use?
Colors in RGB bulbs are always going to be dimmer than when they're set to white. Full white is ALL of the RGB diodes turned on (plus white diodes in the case of RGB+W lights, which will make the difference even more pronounced). At full-saturation blue, red, or green, it's going to be 25-33% of the brightness of full white.

They're still plenty bright enough for me though. I have three in this office lamp. During the day they're powerful enough to be a really attractive accent light, and at night I can turn the entire room any color I want.

I'm using the HUSBZB-1 USB Stick for Zigbee/Zwave. My HA setup is on a Raspberry Pi3 and it works great with everything I've tried so far.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does anyone have any experience with Shelly? I just moved into a new home built in the late 70s and have a mishmash of switches on loops and some without neutrals. My end-goal would be to have HA run everything with minimal to no need to have cloud / app integrations for any of the hardware. Listening to the self-hosted podcast they've really been hitting hard that the Shelly's are an excellent solution and seemingly fantastic as you can get any dog standard switch/dimmer and make it 'smart'. Even a few that don't require neutrals.

I haven't gotten the full lay of the land and planned out exactly my structure yet. I've got Cat6 run to all of the key places so that I can drive cameras/etc. and already plan to replace every switch in the house to more modern looking ones so want to rule Shelly in or out so I can move to the next consideration of platforms to jump to.

I used to have Insteon at my old place but it was a bit frustrating to integrate with HA/HB and required a hub that seemed to be pretty slow. Bad app too.

Starting from the ground up! Greatly appreciate any feedback on the Shelly products.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I have a Shelly 1 that works great for our fireplace. I bought a few more to turn our garage doors into smart doors but have been lazy about getting it up and running. What I really like about them is you can run with them without their cloud setup and straight MQTT.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I have a Shelly 1 that I combined with a reed sensor to make my garage door smart. It was my first HA project so there was a small learning curve there but the device integration seemed to work pretty flawlessly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dalstrs posted:

I have a Shelly 1 that I combined with a reed sensor to make my garage door smart. It was my first HA project so there was a small learning curve there but the device integration seemed to work pretty flawlessly.

How did you do this? Can the Shelly 1 run off of the voltage going to the garage door button and then just use the dry contacts to make it a toggle to essentially "hit the button"? I already have z wave tilt switches on the doors, just no way to control them from HA.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
This is the video I used to set up my garage doors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEZUxXNiERQ

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

calandryll posted:

Nice, I like how he explains that for basics, but it also answers my question of "yeah, I can probably run these things off the garage door openers." I'll give it a try. Worst case they are so flexible in input voltage I'll run the off of mains.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Anyone have a smart plug recommendation for me?

Reqs

- small footprint
- no hub needed
- inexpensive
- HomeKit compatibility preferred (but not required)

This is to run a timer for a fish tank light, so the function requirements are very minimal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I use the TP-Link Kasa stuff around the house and specifically use them to control my turtle tank lights. Not homekit compatible out of the box but works with Home Assist as well as Amazon and Google
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-outlet-Google-Simple-Required/dp/B07TXM4MT3

If you want a name-brand Homekit compatible plug the Belkin Wemo stuff works with Homekit out of the box.
https://www.amazon.com/Control-Devices-Remotely-Assistant-HomeKit/dp/B08CJGZZZ1

The Kasa stuff is significantly cheaper if you buy in multiple ($18 for 1 vs. $25 for 4)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Anyone have a smart plug recommendation for me?

Reqs

- small footprint
- no hub needed
- inexpensive
- HomeKit compatibility preferred (but not required)

This is to run a timer for a fish tank light, so the function requirements are very minimal.

Wemo (belkin), and they have a new plug that is even more compact than their previous one which was also great:

https://www.belkin.com/us/smart-home/wemo/wemo-wifi-smart-plug/p/p-wsp080/

I have a couple of the older bigger ones and they are great and don’t require anything other than wifi and work great with homekit.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Motronic posted:

How did you do this? Can the Shelly 1 run off of the voltage going to the garage door button and then just use the dry contacts to make it a toggle to essentially "hit the button"? I already have z wave tilt switches on the doors, just no way to control them from HA.

calandryll posted:

I basically followed his guide, using a 12v adapter. I also changed the way my reed switch is installed so it shows when the door is closed completely. The way his is wired up won't show a partially open door.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

dalstrs posted:

I basically followed his guide, using a 12v adapter. I also changed the way my reed switch is installed so it shows when the door is closed completely. The way his is wired up won't show a partially open door.

I think the video's intent is to make wiring easy and locate everything next to the motor. The other issue is that using the belt/chain doesn't detect if the door is disconnected and blocked; you're only detecting the chain position, not the door position.

The real way to do it is to have the magnet on the bottom of the door and the switch mounted as close to the ground as possible. But then you need a robust switch that can handle water, and a long cable. If you go with a wireless switch, I've seen setups where you mount the switch to a hinge on the door. When the door goes up, the hinge rotates the switch away from the magnet. If you mount it towards the top, it'll switch when it's nearly closed.

I've been going back and forth on a solution for this. I don't want to add any new cloud services if I can avoid it, so I might end up using Abode switches to do this.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Anyone tired Ubiquiti cameras and video recorder? The price is up there.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

DaveSauce posted:

I think the video's intent is to make wiring easy and locate everything next to the motor. The other issue is that using the belt/chain doesn't detect if the door is disconnected and blocked; you're only detecting the chain position, not the door position.

The real way to do it is to have the magnet on the bottom of the door and the switch mounted as close to the ground as possible. But then you need a robust switch that can handle water, and a long cable. If you go with a wireless switch, I've seen setups where you mount the switch to a hinge on the door. When the door goes up, the hinge rotates the switch away from the magnet. If you mount it towards the top, it'll switch when it's nearly closed.

I've been going back and forth on a solution for this. I don't want to add any new cloud services if I can avoid it, so I might end up using Abode switches to do this.

Mine works fine with a switch at the top of the door and on the wall next to it when closed. I also fully control mine through HA and have turned off the cloud option in the settings though I never checked to see if it actually stopped communicating outside my network.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

dalstrs posted:

Mine works fine with a switch at the top of the door and on the wall next to it when closed. I also fully control mine through HA and have turned off the cloud option in the settings though I never checked to see if it actually stopped communicating outside my network.

Yeah, that's true. Not sure why I was convinced the bottom was the best option. I'm sure I could think of a reason, since that's where I've seen it mostly on industrial equipment doors, but the main thing is to sense the door itself.

My biggest gripe is not strictly security, but I'm just getting so tired of having to download an app and make a login for every single little device I want to use. Then there's the risk that the service goes under and bricks the device.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dalstrs posted:

Thanks! I'm gonna give this a look when I'm back at home.

DaveSauce posted:

The real way to do it is to have the magnet on the bottom of the door

A high mounted tilt switch works just fine and is cheap, easy and reliable.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Im looking for cheap wireless cameras that dont require internet connectivity to run. Is this pissing in the wind in this day and age?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Lysandus posted:

Anyone tired Ubiquiti cameras and video recorder? The price is up there.
Yeah it's not really worth the price. The software features are very bare bones and the smart detection of people is awful (mine constantly detects birds and squirrels as people). I ended up using Blue Iris in a Windows VM and relay the cameras to that for better alerting, motion detection etc. so I'd recommend if you're comfortable with setting up some software go for cheap IP cameras compatible with BI (Reolink for example).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Another opinion, I have a UDM pro and a few of the cameras/doorbells and think it's very good. I haven't used anything else though.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah, that's true. Not sure why I was convinced the bottom was the best option. I'm sure I could think of a reason, since that's where I've seen it mostly on industrial equipment doors, but the main thing is to sense the door itself.

My biggest gripe is not strictly security, but I'm just getting so tired of having to download an app and make a login for every single little device I want to use. Then there's the risk that the service goes under and bricks the device.

Shelly seems pretty decent, I had to download the app to set it to local control but now it is all controlled through HA. I agree on the cloud poo poo though, everyone wants their own trackers on your activity.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Im looking for cheap wireless cameras that dont require internet connectivity to run. Is this pissing in the wind in this day and age?

Wyze cams can use local network for streaming but need to periodically connect to the internet to verify remote IP and to initiate a stream.

The Wyze v2 cams have the ability to enable an RTSP stream for local viewing with special firmware. This method has zero internet access but caps at 15fps. Cam runs about $20
https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026245231-Wyze-Cam-RTSP

There's a number of other IP cams around that range if you don't need remote viewing.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 7, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Slowly replacing all of the exterior cameras. I originally got a couple of massive exterior Hikvisions and some Sony 360 panos for free but they were 5 years old when I got them. Motronic mentioned Reolink a while back and for the price I can’t complain.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Another opinion, I have a UDM pro and a few of the cameras/doorbells and think it's very good. I haven't used anything else though.

I have the same setup and I agree. it’s nice to have remote access and notifications that work most of the time which is a plus, especially coming from Nest cameras that had decent alerting.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Just don't rely on smart detection for the "people" category in a yard ;)

Also the doorbell shows a doorbell ring event from a couple hours ago still in progress, that happens once in a while and then doorbell notifications don't work until a reboot. The chime still works though at least.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Less Fat Luke posted:

Just don't rely on smart detection for the "people" category in a yard ;)

This is a selling point for me :lol:

I didn't want to give Ubiquiti more money after the recent security debacle, but I succumbed and recently upgraded my USG+Cloud Key to a UDM Pro, so I was thinking about the cameras. I've got 8 Amazon Cloud Cams currently though that are still working, but they are lacking in many aspects (image quality, low light visibility, motion detection, user interface). I am tempted to try out a Unifi camera. Most of my current cameras are in a location that I could easily get PoE to.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Does any other vendor have a "local storage but 'cloud' access" setup like UniFi?

I'm still waffling on cameras, mainly due to the large barrier to entry, but the biggest thing for me is not handing over access to Amazon/Google/etc. like all the others.

UniFi seems like a decent all-in-one ecosystem for exactly that... software, appliances, remote access, etc. one stop shop.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Running your own Blue Iris server with off the shelf IP cameras is probably the cheapest and most flexible non-cloud solution.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Any good recommended ip cameras with high quality that don't break the bank nor phone home to China, or require a cloud service to run? Looking for a unicorn to replace my nest and despite its issues they have been excellent quality video.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

TraderStav posted:

Any good recommended ip cameras with high quality that don't break the bank nor phone home to China, or require a cloud service to run? Looking for a unicorn to replace my nest and despite its issues they have been excellent quality video.

Dahua and VLANs.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I’d buy Bosch flexidomes on eBay. There’s a pretty massive supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
I replaced about 20 of my Feit smart bulbs I flashed with tasmota and running mqtt with Philips hue bulbs running off my home assistant. I’m not really sure where I should sell these bulbs. A search on eBay doesn’t seem to show things like this sell there and I’ve searched Reddit but mostly see people asking where to find these. Not people selling them.

Thoughts? Do I shoot for SA Mart? Is there another place on Reddit I didn’t see?