Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Can't wait for the Bucks to come out flat again and lose by 20 and we start up the whole "Bud needs to go" (he does) and "Giannis can't win in the playoffs" (he can, but he's not on a team that maximizes what he can bring).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

getting to the finals would be big for Giannis and Bud (and the FO which had a really bad off season )

I think they can best the west teams idk.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they just need to win one in Atlanta

it will come down to the refs I think. if they call bs fouls early for Trae you can tell how the game is going to go

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

euphronius posted:

lebron completely milked Toronto . I remember that one game he was calling and making bank shots from three up like 40 in Toronto

he pretended to drink a fan's beer in the middle of the game

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think it'll be Suns-Bucks in the finals and win or lose that'll buy Bud at least another year

Dreylad posted:

I don't think you're wrong exactly but it's a bit unfair to PG. Paul George still plays 4th quarters, even if he doesn't always hit the shots when his team needs him. Not only did Demar get benched in the 4th a few times because he was such a liability on defense, but it was easy to limit his offense. He didn't shoot the 3 and he had a lot of trouble getting to the rim against playoff defense, leaving his midrange game.

And there was the whole way the Raptors psychologically just wilted against the Cavs. "I'll give 100 bucks to anyone who can guard Lebron" isn't what you want to hear from your star player in the middle of a playoff series postgame press conference.

Going from that to Kawhi was incredible. I got to go to one game during championship season and I just appreciated every minute of watching that guy work.

yeah I mean you're definitely right that there's more to it than that, I was just struck by the similarities this morning. Multiple times this series alone PG has just failed to be there when the team needed him and it reminded me a lot of watching DeRozan just vanish in the playoffs. It's a shame because I feel like the Clippers supporting cast are good enough, they're just being let down by their star. Beverley, Mann, and Jackson have all been impressive, but they're not going to win on their own and with Kawhi out PG hasn't stepped up to match the level the rest of the team are giving.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

euphronius posted:

they just need to win one in Atlanta

it will come down to the refs I think. if they call bs fouls early for Trae you can tell how the game is going to go

I dunno man, they were calling BS fouls for Trae early in game 2 and it still didn't work out for the Hawks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

not having KL is huge . I don’t know if you can dump on PG too much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jrue had 2 fouls in game 2

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

euphronius posted:

not having KL is huge . I don’t know if you can dump on PG too much.

they would've won in Phoenix if he hadn't missed two free throws with like 5 seconds left, put it that way. I like the guy and I want him to do well and even in his bad games there are still outstanding moments (last night he had that one really impressive play where he blocked a shot and immediately launched an amazing pass to set up Zubac (maybe somebody else, I don't remember) for a dunk at the other end, but he's not consistent.

it's such a shame because sometimes he performs at the best of his potential. He isn't always a liability, for example he was outstanding in game 3 and hit clutch shots when it mattered. The problem is that he only gets to that level like 1 game out of 3 in the playoffs, and that might be good enough when you have somebody like Kawhi picking up the slack but it's not good enough when it's just him as the star player

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i knew the 2017 series was over when this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8J0g1Ag1U

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

yeah I mean you're definitely right that there's more to it than that, I was just struck by the similarities this morning. Multiple times this series alone PG has just failed to be there when the team needed him and it reminded me a lot of watching DeRozan just vanish in the playoffs. It's a shame because I feel like the Clippers supporting cast are good enough, they're just being let down by their star. Beverley, Mann, and Jackson have all been impressive, but they're not going to win on their own and with Kawhi out PG hasn't stepped up to match the level the rest of the team are giving.

The clippers aren't a team, they're just a collection of talented basketball players. I think Ty Lue has done a lot to help but Kawhi was clearly load bearing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dreylad posted:

i knew the 2017 series was over when this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8J0g1Ag1U

lmao at that Toronto time out

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
without crowds I forgot about the era of the big head cutouts in the stands lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the twisted & hosed up thing is that in a world where the raptors didn't get kawhi a lot of the fans would still insist that a demar/lowry back court could have gone all the way. truly we are blessed to have avoided this dark fate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KL plus still not cooked Gasol was it

they could have kept demar and Casey and won still

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

lebron completely milked Toronto . I remember that one game he was calling and making bank shots from three up like 40 in Toronto

it was funny watching them try doing that to phoenix and then they lost 3 straight

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:look:

https://twitter.com/chrisbhaynes/status/1409249662351994881?s=21

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Dame for Simmons straight up who says no

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Portland

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
what’s funny is there isn’t really any backlash at Dame but he is milking it hard

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

euphronius posted:

KL plus still not cooked Gasol was it

they could have kept demar and Casey and won still

gasol was the most important trade that season

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m calling it it’s going to be Dame for Simmons

probably involving a couple more teams so maybe not directly

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

hifi posted:

it was funny watching them try doing that to phoenix and then they lost 3 straight

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

I’m calling it it’s going to be Dame for Simmons

probably involving a couple more teams so maybe not directly

I feel bad for Portland in this trade, but if they can get Simmons plus some other asset so it's not just a straight up trade, it's probably as good as they're gonna get.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s dame to philly but as you mention Simmons to Portland seems strange. that’s why a i think they’d have to get another team in or two

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It makes sense if Portland is willing to start a rebuild rather than trying to make another playoff run, but there's no conceivable Dame trade that leaves Portland as good as they are now. There's just no replacing a player like him.

That said, Simmons is still very young and if he's able to get himself right and just play at the level he's already played at, he can still be a long term piece. Getting Simmons and a pick or another young player, even if not a particularly good pick or player, could at least play out well for them long term.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they can easily make the playoffs with Simmons

the top level doesn’t move but they do get younger and a lot cheaper

if they want to tank Simmons would have to go somewhere else and Portland gets picks and expiring money

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Azathoth posted:

It makes sense if Portland is willing to start a rebuild rather than trying to make another playoff run, but there's no conceivable Dame trade that leaves Portland as good as they are now. There's just no replacing a player like him.

That said, Simmons is still very young and if he's able to get himself right and just play at the level he's already played at, he can still be a long term piece. Getting Simmons and a pick or another young player, even if not a particularly good pick or player, could at least play out well for them long term.

The problem for the blazers is that Dame is starting to make noise like he might want out

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The problem for the blazers is that Dame is starting to make noise like he might want out

I mean after putting up maybe a top 5-10 all time playoff performance and losing badly to an injured team, who wouldn't?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Embiid Dame would be good

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

they can easily make the playoffs with Simmons

the top level doesn’t move but they do get younger and a lot cheaper

if they want to tank Simmons would have to go somewhere else and Portland gets picks and expiring money

I agree that they can still go to the playoffs with a straight Dame/Simmons swap, but what I don't see happening with that team is a championship. It's probably worth a season to see if it works, weirder things have happened.

Even if they make that trade, they've got the same problem they've got now, which is that they're just not on par with the top teams but they've got so much money on the books that there's no obvious path for improvement.

If it doesn't work, blow it up for picks and expiring contracts/salary dumps and start over.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

HashtagGirlboss posted:

yeah, and going to the Sixers is probably his best case scenario for being traded to a contender. he should want that trade more than just about any other.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there is always the lottery hits and Simmons starts shooting

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it would be the whey defense dame has ever had unless I’m missing some old Portland team

it would be the best offense embiid ever had

Embiid and dame are also more or less on the same timeline (4 years left )

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s happening

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Sunny days ahead boys 🌞

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I still hate Lebron for choosing LA over Philly

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Blazers for lyfe and all but I wouldn’t be able to hold it against him if he did go, especially with the way they’ve mishandled the coach hire but just in general, he’s been a joy to root for and if he wants a ring I don’t blame him

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Yossarian-22 posted:

I still hate Lebron for choosing LA over Philly

philly sucks man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1409306475290238978?s=21