Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Parkingtigers posted:

In my recent first watch of The Dark World, Loki showed some of his telekinesis powers when he trashed his cell after learning of the death of his mother. All the discussion about him catching that tower... I mean it was a higher level of TK ability than he'd shown on screen before, but it wasn't a new ability by any means just a more pumped up version of one he was already shown to have.

Yeah, that's the only scene where he uses telekinesis across the movies, and now I understand why some people where saying that he had gotten that ability back for the show. Guess he always could do feats like that but didn't have a reason for it before?

Now I'm trying to remember/find out where did people got he also has levitation in the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Being real aside from the illusion projection the MCU was poo poo about establishing his powerset if they suddenly want us to go with his telekinesis.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oh, they were. There are a lot of inconsistencies between every movie, I'm blaming that at first they wanted the franchise to be grounded more in realism , and have less magical stuff (the whole "they use advanced technology!" thing). But it's good they eventually dropped that.

Hope they use the show to establish what the character can really do, like with Wandavision.

Just embrace the crazy super powers.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Guys he is actually also a Jedi. Enchanting is just being really good at the Jedi mind trick.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Star Wars/Marvel crossover confirmed?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Starting S3 of Mando by showing Luke walking away with Grogu and then turning into Loki would make everyone lose their collective minds.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Resisting the urge to do that is gonna get harder and harder for Disney once both franchises hit diminishing returns.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Flintstones always gotta meet the Jetsons eventually.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I'm a TurboNerd, so I justify Loki's inconsistent powers through the prism of the older The Marvel Universe Roleplaying Game, which had Loki listed as having the skill "God-Like Powers: 7". Which is "Mastery of Magic" on steroids...and that's already a "gently caress you, DM, I do what I want" skill.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 28, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The MCU is not a place in which "consistency of abilities" occurs. This goes back to the "Tony Stark can fall 100 stories and survive but a big punch will knock him out" kind of thing. Abilities are gained and lost as the script needs them, it's just how things are.

And this is coming from the guy who listed 20 nitpicks about the last episode.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

mind the walrus posted:

Resisting the urge to do that is gonna get harder and harder for Disney once both franchises hit diminishing returns.

There's already a Star Trek/X-Men crossover in comics, so they'd just be following what came before.

Amalgam or the Avengers/Justice League crossover will have to wait until Disney buys Warner Brothers.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

So far the marvel TV series remind me a lot of comic books which is that "issue to issue" consistency can swing wildly and they are real hit or miss. The movies, being relatively self contained and with longer production, seemed to have just a slightly higher baseline quality.

After enjoying Loki's first 2 episodes I went and checked out WandaVision & Winter soldier and binged them over 2 days and woof. The visual quality is strong on the shows but the scripts for Winter Soldier needed like 3 re-writes to tighten it up. WandaVision ending in a classic fly around with lasers fight was pretty boring and I had issue with the entire premise since I dislike Vision & wanda.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

There's already a Star Trek/X-Men crossover in comics, so they'd just be following what came before.
Lmao that lovely out-of-continuity oneshot written by nobodies for an audience of no one is from 30 years ago. It's not really a precedent.

You're not wrong though, they'll do a Star Wars crossover the instant Disney decide they want to defibrillate one or both of the mega-franchises. I wonder if it'll be before or after Feige steps down. Hell if they use time travel and actually commit to the "long time ago" bit it could actually work.

quote:

Amalgam or the Avengers/Justice League crossover will have to wait until Disney buys Warner Brothers.
Both companies avoid doing this sort-of thing atm because they recognize keeping the brands "rivals" is better long-term than cross-pollinating constantly. It pronounces the few differences. They did a few bad crossovers, one actually good one, and there really isn't much more of a need unless you're one of those Ernie Kline fuckwits whose only joy in life comes from seeing "the thing" with "the other thing."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Can someone actually say what change is?

In the original upload, that camera in that shot had really janky movement because it was based on sped-up helicopter or drone footage. They updated the episode with a version that had a stabilized and re-sped camera, but it also included a QC error where a rotoshape or something was left on the frame (the blob doesn't track with the camera or change shape, so it's just an artifact from the composite). I can see how it slipped through, because everyone would just be looking at the camera to make sure it's smooth, but wouldn't be paying that much attention to the rest of the frame.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

You’re right. They need never do the Avengers/JLA crossover since they already took the best panel in the whole thing and gave it to Steve Rogers.

There’s clearly an audience for horrible crossovers somewhere, all the Batman/Predator/Robocop/Aliens stuff sure was a thing for a while. Maybe they were wringing the last dollar out of the hardcore collectors.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Speed Demon was the best amalgam character :colbert:

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I just caught up with all 3 episodes of this and I dunno what the consensus is but I really don't like it.

I felt like I was watching a silly Dr. Who knockoff, which is probably completely intentional, but it's just not for me.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm not super sold on Loki yet either. The actors are fine but I'm not exactly loving the rest of it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I felt like I was watching a silly Dr. Who knockoff, which is probably completely intentional, but it's just not for me.

That can't be right, because I actually like LOKI.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Loki is Dr Who if Dr Who was just about The Master.

Even has gender flipping baked in.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Robot Style posted:

In the original upload, that camera in that shot had really janky movement because it was based on sped-up helicopter or drone footage. They updated the episode with a version that had a stabilized and re-sped camera, but it also included a QC error where a rotoshape or something was left on the frame (the blob doesn't track with the camera or change shape, so it's just an artifact from the composite). I can see how it slipped through, because everyone would just be looking at the camera to make sure it's smooth, but wouldn't be paying that much attention to the rest of the frame.

It kinda looks like a floating trianglish shape.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it just me or are long steadicam takes getting really old now and progressively less impressive with every use of them?

e: Also I'm now wondering just how much of this series is going to end up being Sylvie invading Loki's mind. I'm currently guessing everything from the point that she tried and failed to use her charm touch on him.

stev fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 28, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Marvel put out a mid-season trailer for Loki. Hilariously enough though, there appears to be less upcoming content in it than remains in the original trailers. Despite being 2 and a half minutes long, almost all of it is from the episodes already released. So either someone made a boo-boo in the editing, or the remaining episodes are pretty heavy on content they don't want to spoil at all by the looks of things.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

tsob posted:

Marvel put out a mid-season trailer for Loki. Hilariously enough though, there appears to be less upcoming content in it than remains in the original trailers. Despite being 2 and a half minutes long, almost all of it is from the episodes already released. So either someone made a boo-boo in the editing, or the remaining episodes are pretty heavy on content they don't want to spoil at all by the looks of things.

They probably dont wanna spoil.l a lot. That's fine.

btw I liked Loki because it Is a lovely.doctor Who season and I loved doctor who. Bring me more dumb time travel!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
They could've just called it a recap.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Good. I am exhausted by the sheer number of 30-60 second spots they churn out for each of these series. I watch whatever first one comes out and then just let the next twenty float on by, but they still clog up my youbers algorithm.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Desperado Bones posted:

Loki's green screen is amazing in comparison with certain scenes in Thor Ragnarok

I wouldn't be surprised if they were using the Volume from Mandalorian for this.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Polaron posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were using the Volume from Mandalorian for this.

I would think they will try to use that whenever they can. Having all your work done in camera just makes your production pipeline sooooo much simpler, even aside from the ease of acting with the final environment visible to you.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

tsob posted:

Marvel put out a mid-season trailer for Loki.

Protip the ship that drops? It's the USS Eldridge which was allegedly part of the Philadelphia Experiment

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tsob posted:

It looks a lot like the TVA are the ones who actually get Loki and Sylvie off of the dying planet. also there's a young girl Loki who I assume is supposed to be Sylvie in the flashback.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

tsob posted:

Given that this was almost the exact same case with the mid-season trailer for Bad Batch released last week, I'm betting it's intentional.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

Given that this was almost the exact same case with the mid-season trailer for Bad Batch released last week, I'm betting it's intentional.

Bad Batch/Loki crossover, you say?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Nitrousoxide posted:

I would think they will try to use that whenever they can. Having all your work done in camera just makes your production pipeline sooooo much simpler, even aside from the ease of acting with the final environment visible to you.

It's kind of amazing how we've circled back to rear-projection, in a way :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Polaron posted:

It's kind of amazing how we've circled back to rear-projection, in a way :v:

The Wizard of Oz really was way ahead of its time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

The Wizard of Oz really was way ahead of its time.

It being the internet and all it's hard to read sarcasm, but it really, really was.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

It being the internet and all it's hard to read sarcasm, but it really, really was.

It had very creative uses of rear projection.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yeah, I was super excited seeing that. It’s one of my favourite weird things. :dance:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It does seem to be done better here than in The Mandalorian though. I made the mistake of watching a behind the scenes video for Mando and once they pointed out how those wrap around rear projection screens worked I wasn't able to not see it in the finished episodes. Now I'm not someone who gets super worked up at seeing the joins in special effects, but my brain was going full "that's Chappie" everytime I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

It does seem to be done better here than in The Mandalorian though. I made the mistake of watching a behind the scenes video for Mando and once they pointed out how those wrap around rear projection screens worked I wasn't able to not see it in the finished episodes. Now I'm not someone who gets super worked up at seeing the joins in special effects, but my brain was going full "that's Chappie" everytime I saw it.

Yeah, the magic dies a little lol But I try not to mind it.

In the case of Loki, they've been using sets for several scenes. How much is real stuff, how much is CGI? I have no idea! But it looks so good.

I'm also falling in love with the music for the trailers and I'm wondering is those are ever gonna be released.

Regarding the mid-season trailer:

We are finally gonna see what's up with the Time Lizards, I'll be surprised if it's this next episode. Seems Loki and Sylvie do make it to the elevator. By the way, if the end credits are spoiling us a bit, I'm guessing is Mobius' the hand we see pushing the buttons and getting a big "Access Denied".

And it's killing me knowing what lead Loki to the president Loki outfit.