Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
One of the cars I’m looking at is a 2016 SE w/ Perf Pack. 80k miles for $18k, one of the less expensive cars I’ve seen although slightly higher in miles than I’d like, but that’s kind of where my budget is unless I want to start spending $26k+ all-in.

Quite clean, passed all its inspections and poo poo, good maintenance schedule + carfax, drives well...so far so good aside from an aftermarket spoiler adhered to the factory spoiler (it was done well and shouldn’t be difficult to remove with the right solvent + 25 min of elbow grease) and a relatively tasteful and restrained aftermarket exhaust/catback.

If I can save like $1-2 grand over the next most similar car (2017 SE, ~75k miles, fresh brake rotors, new 2021 rims on it that look sweet, but probably wouldn’t have been my first choice, they want like $20k for it) I’ve seen of late, should I be open minded about it? Or should I walk away just on the principle that it has mods?

I figure if I really hate the muffler I can get a stock one for ~$100 and the labor can’t be prohibitively expensive right? Is this a decent idea to save some coin or am I playing with fire? Like even throwing $2k into fixing up whatever this car might need (doesn’t seem like it needs very much at all) vs spending that money on a similar car from another dealer seems like a decent idea right?

The car wasn’t excessively tarted up- just the exhaust and spoiler. Still a red flag?

Edit: also wondering if I should just avoid a 2016 for the turbo failure issues. Although if/when it goes I can take the money saved and replace it.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Ok. Ok scratch the previous post. I just saw a 2017 GTI Sport, with OEM Clubsport muffler and intake to make it sound like Rice Krispies, but subtly and tastefully.

Impeccably clean, long/detailed service record, 87k miles for ~$19500. No extra fees, they’re replacing the front bumper after I pointed out a crack in the trim. ~$21500 all-in with taxes, delivery, plates, etc.

Best car I’ve seen within my budget. So I put down a refundable deposit. Why not, I say. Worst case Ontario, I tell ‘em nah on Monday and they put $500 back on my credit card.

Well now I got my dad yelling at me on the phone telling me that it’s “way too many miles, and way too many miles for $20 grand” and that I should finance $4-5k more to get something with fewer miles, like between 40 and 60k.

Thoughts? I spent all week looking at cars in the 50-80k range and getting all-ins of $24.5, $25, $26k- which is a few thou more than I wanted to spend.

Like even if I have to do a clutch job or any number of other things in the emergent future, it would still be less than the ~$4k I’m saving, right?

Like if the car is otherwise in excellent shape?

Anyway am I being dumb or should I just buy this car? I can afford a bit more, I’d be comfortable all-in in the $23-24k range but I don’t wanna keep chasing cars like this to gain 10k/20k miles for $2-3 thousand if the gain is more academic than practical, while paying $250/week at this point for a rental, and with the market doing what it’s doing, etc. Plus the insurance premium is lower, right?

This is the closest to getting everything that I want in terms of trim, etc. I didn’t think I’d like the exhaust but it’s OEM and done at a dealer.

I just don’t want to buy a car that will deteriorate faster/sooner or need a bunch of work. I plan to put a lot of miles on it (15-20k/yr), but I’m coming from two very clean high-mileage cars that I took to ~200k so high miles don’t really phase me. The SE I saw yesterday had an all-in of $24,500 and it had 79k miles, and this is undoubtedly a better deal for me.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 25, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The thread can not make this decision for you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

I’m not asking them to. I’m simply asking if a car with 87k miles on it seems like a bad idea vs spending more for something less well-traveled

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I think that really is the realm of you have to somewhat decide, I just spent that kind of money for a German car with 84k miles but excellent history. So I’m there with you, but I also didn’t really have an option to spend a couple grand more for less miles.

Personally if I were getting another GTI with the intent of keeping and driving for a long time, I’d probably prefer to get under 60k, 50k if possible. The market right now is wild to me just referring to my previous GTI buying experience. As for mods, if they are in your taste they could be nice, agree with wherever said if they are some cheap bad taste stuff, I would be mostly turned off from the car. Ultimately it’s a pretty small difference in weighting so that’s why it’s hard to really peanut gallery about it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m not asking them to. I’m simply asking if a car with 87k miles on it seems like a bad idea vs spending more for something less well-traveled

I think you need to expect that you are going to put another $5k in it over the next 100k miles. If you’re cool with that then there you go.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Murgos posted:

I think you need to expect that you are going to put another $5k in it over the next 100k miles. If you’re cool with that then there you go.

Yes that I expected.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

As for mods, if they are in your taste they could be nice, agree with wherever said if they are some cheap bad taste stuff, I would be mostly turned off from the car

The dude p much cobbled together his own Clubsport.

He added the Clubsport S muffler, a relatively understated intake upgrade, Euro OEM taillights, and the bigger, higher res Euro MIBII display.

Also 2019(?)/2020 wheels and some kind of dealer-optioned aftermarket radio/sub that sounds good.

And a clear hood protector + bumper protector and some very tiny, practically unnoticeable mudflaps.

Pretty much waiting for this dude to show up ITT

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

My opinion then: yeah that seems dumb but that's the market right now. I personally wouldn't do it but but that's mostly because I bought my 17 sport when they could barely sell them for like 26k brand new. Price is a little silly given that now the warranty is spent so why pay new car prices with none of the perks? Market is just too dumb at the moment.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Actually on that note, have you looked into like long term rentals to be able to punt this maybe a few months? And see what happens this fall? I’m not sure it will really ultimately save you quite that much depending how much that would cost but another thing to maybe explore.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Actually on that note, have you looked into like long term rentals to be able to punt this maybe a few months? And see what happens this fall? I’m not sure it will really ultimately save you quite that much depending how much that would cost but another thing to maybe explore.

you’re asking me to spend like three grand more on a rental (and basically blow my budget no matter what) to wait until the fall in order to see “if the market improves” when literally everybody’s been saying for weeks that it shows no signs of getting better? And if cars aren’t cheaper in September what do I do then, after I’ve spent the extra money?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’re asking me to spend like three grand more on a rental (and basically blow my budget no matter what) to wait until the fall in order to see “if the market improves” when literally everybody’s been saying for weeks that it shows no signs of getting better? And if cars aren’t cheaper in September what do I do then, after I’ve spent the extra money?

A couple years ago a friend ended up in a long term rental for like 6 months and it was about $200/mo or some such, which is why I mentioned looking into it in your area.

So no, I’m not saying spend 3 grand to wait until September. Was just bring up another potential idea as you seemed to be struggling to pull the trigger and are pretty uncomfortable being placed in the current market m, which is very understandable!

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Anyway am I being dumb or should I just buy this car?

Suburban Dad posted:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Hmmm.

Sounds like you need an actuary because nothing less than a complete probability analysis is going to make you feel good about your decision here.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TheBacon posted:

A couple years ago a friend ended up in a long term rental for like 6 months and it was about $200/mo or some such, which is why I mentioned looking into it in your area.

So no, I’m not saying spend 3 grand to wait until September. Was just bring up another potential idea as you seemed to be struggling to pull the trigger and are pretty uncomfortable being placed in the current market m, which is very understandable!

Rentals are totally hosed right now for the same reason that the car market is. I looked into a 2 month car rental a few months ago and the cheapest i could find was $2600 for 60 days for a shitbox.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tyro posted:

Rentals are totally hosed right now for the same reason that the car market is. I looked into a 2 month car rental a few months ago and the cheapest i could find was $2600 for 60 days for a shitbox.

I’m paying $260 a week right now.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

No.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Anyway am I being dumb

Yes.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

The market is redonkulous right now and paying 20k for a compact car nearing 100k miles is wild, my Focus ST was $21k new out the door. Right now is about the worst time to be in a "gotta buy now" mindset so you're probably going to lose your rear end either way but at least with new car financing your interest rate won't suck

For reference I paid $27k for a 2014 Audi S4 with 49k miles in March so $20k for a high miles GTI feels insane to me

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The market is super messed up right now so I can't help there either. I paid 25k for my 2020 GTI last year so I guess I still got in on the no ones buying cars period instead of the we have no cars period.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MunchE posted:

The market is redonkulous right now and paying 20k for a compact car nearing 100k miles is wild, my Focus ST was $21k new out the door. Right now is about the worst time to be in a "gotta buy now" mindset so you're probably going to lose your rear end either way but at least with new car financing your interest rate won't suck

For reference I paid $27k for a 2014 Audi S4 with 49k miles in March so $20k for a high miles GTI feels insane to me

Right now I can pay ~$27k for a GTI with like 20k miles on it. New we’re talking $30k+ across the board.

If I want something in the 40-50k range I’m going to have to pay $24-25k, regardless of warranty status/year. That seems equally dumb to me in some respects, I don’t get any of the warranty benefits and I gain 1-2 years of hypothetical miles at 15-20k/year.

What would you buy and how much would you spend? My max budget all-in is $25k and I know what model/trim level I want.

Not really interested in a 2017 S for $23k. And I can’t afford to wait, or buy a car somewhere else and fly to it, no matter how many times some of y’all tell me to.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

It’s a rough position to be in for sure, but I’d say it seems that most of us would make some other compromises as we are personally weighting things differently than you are, which doesn’t make any of us wrong or right. If you know the spec you want for sure, the only thing fungible then is miles to get that spec in your range, so ya get the higher mileage one, that’s the realities of the lovely market to be forced to buy right now I guess. Sorry bud.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Ok Comboomer posted:

Right now I can pay ~$27k for a GTI with like 20k miles on it. New we’re talking $30k+ across the board.

If I want something in the 40-50k range I’m going to have to pay $24-25k, regardless of warranty status/year. That seems equally dumb to me in some respects, I don’t get any of the warranty benefits and I gain 1-2 years of hypothetical miles at 15-20k/year.

What would you buy and how much would you spend? My max budget all-in is $25k and I know what model/trim level I want.

Not really interested in a 2017 S for $23k. And I can’t afford to wait, or buy a car somewhere else and fly to it, no matter how many times some of y’all tell me to.

Most cars have a measurable decline in reliability after 100k so if you're planning on 20k/yr you're going to get into the expensive repairs zone even sooner.

Good luck in your search hope it all works out well for you friend

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I would absolutely buy something cheaper and drive it for a few years until the market gets better, which it will, eventually. It sounds like you're already stretching to buy this car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would absolutely buy something cheaper and drive it for a few years until the market gets better, which it will, eventually. It sounds like you're already stretching to buy this car.

cool, guess I’ll just pull the trigger on this ‘15 Fit with a similar number of miles on it for $9k and then get a GTI in 2026

Joking aside, how do ppl feel about such as Veloster Turbos and FIT Sports and Civic Sports and whatnot? Looks like I can also get a FiST p much new for like 16-17k.

Edit: wait a minute....https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 28, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Go to the recommend me a car thread.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I found a DSG Sport with 30k miles, super clean, super stock, $21k. Night Blue Metallic. Didn’t think the DSG would do me right until I spent a weekend test driving Mazda3s and decided that a fast auto with fun flappy paddles makes more sense as a commuter right now. We’re in love and we’re getting married. ✌🏼

Now I get to call the other place and cancel that deposit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hell yeah congrats man that sounds perfect

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Congrats! I hope it’s great for you!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Clark Plaid, Clark Plaid!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mk. 7 / 7.5 people, is the AC relatively weak on your cars? the Alltrack (manual climate control) has trouble getting cool other than on max/recirc. I feel like that's in adequate, but then again euro car AC can suck.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i think there's a coding change you can do if you have obdeleven or vag-com, to change the AC to "hot country mode"

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/enable-hot-country-a-c-with-obdeleven.332222/

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Another reason for me to get obd11 I guess. The AC on my GTI isn't terrible but it takes way too long for the car to cool down inside.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

My '11 JSP's AC isn't that great either. Full blast and recirculate is the only way to get it to cool the car down, and sometimes that doesn't even do the trick.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

i think there's a coding change you can do if you have obdeleven or vag-com, to change the AC to "hot country mode"

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/enable-hot-country-a-c-with-obdeleven.332222/

should probably bite the bullet and buy an OBDeleven, thanks for this!

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

I'll have to try that. My '15 GSW has mediocre ac, especially at idle.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

fwiw, i live in florida and my mk7 R already had that set. dunno if that was the factory or a previous owner, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Deviant posted:

fwiw, i live in florida and my mk7 R already had that set. dunno if that was the factory or a previous owner, though.

I suspect it hasn't been set to hot country since this was a Puebla produced car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

I'll try this with mine later on my wife's Mk6 TDI

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm missing my MKV GTI whose AC didn't work for the last 7 years I drove her. :smith: Had a day where my phone kept shutting down from overheating in the car, that was fun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So this is what the wife's TDI shows:

Which appears to show the Cold Tuning is set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Well bad news all! A few weeks ago a pickup drifted into my lane from oncoming traffic and hit me nearly head on. Pretty sure they were texting. My tough old Jetta kept me pretty safe RIP. I know this car wasn't anything too fancy, but I loved it. 2010 manual transmission Wolfsburg Edition with only about 80k miles on it. It was fun to drive and I will miss it.

It kinda looks like my Jetta did more damage to the truck.

Check out this Volkswagen logo I now have on my forearm lol