Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Clone Wars recaps/episode setups with the bombastic old fashioned radio announcer guy are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tried out the first episode of Dog City after you mentioned it's a Jim Henson show and it was super charming! :3: It doesn't forget that the characters are dogs so you got stuff like a henchman fetching a stick of dynamite or citizens having their own squeaky toys.

The rapport between Ace and the Elliot the animator is probably the best part. Usually when characters get to break the 4th wall, they make a self-depreciating jab about how their creators are hacks. But Ace and Elliot exchange ideas on how to make the show better and encourages and believes in what the other is capable of.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

amigolupus posted:

That said, what's absurd is that despite the name Q-Force, they're not a superhero team with LGBTQ+ members. Instead, they're a squad (priding themselves as the first queer team :rolleyes:) within the not-CIA. They might as well say they're doing a cartoon about heroic cops.

Is that all surprising, given who they chose as their lead character?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

amigolupus posted:

Someone posted the blurbs for the cast and it doesn't inspire any confidence:

Did you help them come up with the name for the main character? It's okay, I won't judge. :v:

That said, what's absurd is that despite the name Q-Force, they're not a superhero team with LGBTQ+ members. Instead, they're a squad (priding themselves as the first queer team :rolleyes:) within the not-CIA. They might as well say they're doing a cartoon about heroic cops.

They're not presented as superheroes, more like a spy version of The A Team (The Gay Team?).

They probably got Steve from the same place I did [snotty Christian Fundy]"In the Bible it's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!"[/snotty Christian Fundy]

Good news, though. The next episode of The Owl House starts in five minute on the Disney Channel. So I can watch some cool queer people who aren't mildly offensive stereotypes.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's interesting though that ongoing plot shows no longer feel the need to do a recap though. Rocky and Bullwinkle would sometimes use the recap to pad out entire segments where basically nothing happens but repeating previous jokes and throwing out a meaningless cliffhanger for the next segment to pick up.

Since you brought up "Bullwinkle", I thought I'd nerd out about animation history for a bit.

Basically, a lot of early TV cartoons were serialized. "Bullwinkle" is the most well-known example of this format, but there were others, including "Crusader Rabbit" (generally regarded as the first cartoon ever made for TV, from the same producer as "Bullwinkle"), Hanna-Barbera's first series "Ruff and Reddy", "Tom Terrific", "Spunky and Tadpole" (a real show that existed), the first animated adaptation of "Tintin" (a US-Belgium co-production) and others.

The formatting was a lot different than nowadays, though. Each episode was short, only 3-4 minutes long of which a minute was usually devoted to recaps. They were often syndicated to local stations (although "Bullwinkle", "Tom Terrific", and "Ruff and Reddy" were network shows) and they could do whatever they wanted with it. Most aired it daily on weekdays, where Part 1 would air Monday, Part 2 Tuesday, etc. Some aired it as half-hour blocks where they would air a bunch in one timeslot. Some as part of a local children's shows, etc.

What's interesting about "Bullwinkle", though, is that there was no hard limit on the number of episodes they could use to tell a full story. The first story arc, "Jet Fuel Formula", lasted 40 episodes. The second longest arc, "Upsidaisium", lasted 36. Others varied, ranging from 26 segments to as low as 4 segments (the only rule seems to be that the minimum number of segments for a story arc is 4). Other serialized cartoons had a rule that it has to have an exact number of episodes, usually 5 or 10.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, was Rocky & Bullwinkle the first cartoon to really do multi-part story arcs or were there shows before it that did the same thing?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, was Rocky & Bullwinkle the first cartoon to really do multi-part story arcs or were there shows before it that did the same thing?

No. The aforementioned "Crusader Rabbit", literally the first cartoon made for TV (well, one of the first), had multi-part storyarcs. "Tom Terrific", "Ruff and Reddy" and "Spunky and Tadpole" also predates "Bullwinkle". It was just a common format for TV cartoons at the time, although "Bullwinkle" would become the most well-known example from this era. Even after "Bullwinkle" you had "Underdog", which always had four-part storyarcs.

"Crusader Rabbit" was produced by Jay Ward, who also produced "Bullwinkle". Both shows had a lot of the same hallmarks, with punny dialogues, and a narrator that always ended each segment with "Be sure to tune in next time for [punny episode title]," although "Crusader" was much more slow-paced.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 26, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, I’d never heard of Crusader Rabbit. How is it out of curiosity and does it still hold up all that well today?

Same question for the other three shows you mentioned for that matter

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the basic premise of that format may also have roots beyond television when people used to go to theaters to see collections of shorts. There was the news, there were theatrical cartoons like Looney Tunes, and there were "serials" which I don't really know much about, but I know that Flash Gordon had some of those, maybe following from the tradition of its newspaper comic strips.

YggiDee posted:

Also nobody had invented wikis yet in 1994 so if you missed an episode or forgot a plot point you had to pray for reruns or bribe the one other kid at school who watched Gargoyles.

Well, you'd either figure out beforehand to record it, or you'd hope you knew someone who did. I think there used to be a whole world of video sharing connections out there.

You could also be confused in the moment and hope that later the company responsible later puts out an official release, which can be spotty. I guess it'd probably be better with shows directly targeting adults who can more realistically shell out the money. Which is another reason why kids' shows started getting into overarching narratives, by broadening their audience to expect some adults to be whales, it becomes more practical to have higher production values for shows that aren't just toy commercials, because the show itself can be the product with lasting appeal.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 26, 2021

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Larryb posted:

Ah, I’d never heard of Crusader Rabbit. How is it out of curiosity and does it still hold up all that well today?

Same question for the other three shows you mentioned for that matter

Since "Crusader Rabbit" was the first of its kind, they had a hard time figuring out how to do animation on a very cheap budget. So it was mostly slideshow, with little cutout movements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNHA9xuYCDA

There's an animation of swordfish swimming early on, as well as a recycled walkcycle of Crusader and Rags, but otherwise it was a glorified animatic

(fun fact, Crusader was voiced by Lucille Bliss, who later voiced Smurfette in "Smurfs", as well as Miss Bitters in "Invader Zim". This was her first major role in animation).

"Ruff and Reddy" was aimed at younger audience than a typical Hanna-Barbera cartoon, so it was pretty slow-paced. It was very similar to "Crusader Rabbit" in that regards, and given that Hanna-Barbera had a long and documented history of "borrowing" ideas from others, that was probably intentional. It aired on Boomerang some years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuHq7Ui0k5c

"Spunky and Tadpole" is SPECIAL, just for how friggin bizarre and nonsensical it is. It also had a very, uh, interesting story on how it got financing (TL;DR: an early example of crowdsourced animation, mixed with a plot of "The Producers")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th6a0dW_Xis

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How about Tom Terrific?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Larryb posted:

How about Tom Terrific?

I have a soft spot for "Tom Terrific", but I'm a huge Gene Deitch fan, so I might be biased. One person compared it to "Adventure Time" (the early AT episodes, at least), and yeah, there's some similarities.

The premise is that the main character is a little boy who is VERY energetic and enthusiastic, who wears a magic funnel on his head that allows him to shapeshift into anything. His companion is Mighty Manfred, a lazy dog who doesn't like going on an adventure, but Tom drags him along anyway.

"Tom Terrific" was originally made for "Captain Kangaroo". Each story arc lasted 5 episodes, airing Monday thru Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAU3FNua3cE

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

mycot posted:

Someone else said it best: it's like a long lost 2000s adult swim cartoon in a bad way.

yeah, pretty much. reminds me of that garbage yogi bear series John K made for adult swim in the 2000s :barf:

KingKalamari posted:

Man, that just reminds me of The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest from the mid 90s. While the show largely doesn't hold up very well (It leaned far too heavily into the 90s media obsession with "cyberspace" and features some really bad cgi all over the place) it was also weirdly hardcore about character death and the like. I remember nerve gas being a recurring element in various villains plots...

The 90s show ruled so hard. Quest World aged like rear end, sadly, but the rest of the show was top tier entertainment. they didn't gently caress around with character deaths or comeuppances (one episode had two scientists get crushed to death by a poltergeist. in other episode Jesse took care of Surd once and for all by permanently frying his brain )

Only a handful of cartoons at the time had anything on the same level. Shame it was canned so soon :smith:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What was the deal with Johnny Quest having both young and old Race Bannon

Mr Interweb posted:

Quest World aged like rear end, sadly

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 27, 2021

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The United States posted:

What was the deal with Johnny Quest having both young and old Race Bannon

i don't recall the reason why it happened, but they switched animation studios and the voice cast between the first and second seasons.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mr Interweb posted:

i don't recall the reason why it happened, but they switched animation studios and the voice cast between the first and second seasons.
Yeah but I mean this wasn't just a studio switch, it was an entirely different character design along with the voice change

Did he get hit with a de-aging ray or something

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He got way more angular too.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The thing about Hanna-Barbera is that although they weren’t quite as terrible as their reputation, their corpus is certainly not good, not even the very best shows in it. And beyond that is an even bigger problem, which is that the cultural context of the 60s middle American prime time media culture is so alienated from the present that when you watch any of those shows more than anything you get a sense of just incredible strangeness, on top of the cardboard-flavored mediocrity of all of them

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The United States posted:

Yeah but I mean this wasn't just a studio switch, it was an entirely different character design along with the voice change

Did he get hit with a de-aging ray or something

yeah they remade almost everything.

also he lost his texan accent :v:

oh also you got the pics reversed. the second season bannon is the older one

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

While there wasn't any Luz/Amity stuff in it, the most recent Owl House was pretty good. I like that they're addressing that King is an actual person and not some kind of "talking dog" to whom it's okay to be condescending toward.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

icantfindaname posted:

The thing about Hanna-Barbera is that although they weren’t quite as terrible as their reputation, their corpus is certainly not good, not even the very best shows in it. And beyond that is an even bigger problem, which is that the cultural context of the 60s middle American prime time media culture is so alienated from the present that when you watch any of those shows more than anything you get a sense of just incredible strangeness, on top of the cardboard-flavored mediocrity of all of them

Top Cat in particular is nearly incomprehensible nowadays.

Mr Interweb posted:

Ahh. Clearly they decided the show needed a silver fox to boost parental engagement.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Everyone posted:

While there wasn't any Luz/Amity stuff in it, the most recent Owl House was pretty good. I like that they're addressing that King is an actual person and not some kind of "talking dog" to whom it's okay to be condescending toward.

Yeah, I like that they are expanding on him and his situation.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

The people who made them knew they weren't good--that's why they have laugh tracks built into them.

BioEnchanted posted:

I suspect a name change to "Prince" at some point.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BioEnchanted posted:

That's good too, but I'm mostly happy that the patronizing indulgence toward King has been called out for what it was and shut down.

I mean, if somebody dealt with Luz from an attitude of "Awww, look at the widdle human trying to learn real magic. Isn't she just the cuuutest?" we'd be looking forward to that person getting their teeth knocked down their throat metaphorically if not literally. But that's kind of how Luz and Eda tended to treat King up to this episode.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Mr Interweb posted:

So I was actually looking through the Wikipedia article when I first brought up The Real Adventures to refresh myself with the series and make sure my memories of it were accurate and not a crazed fever dream, and there actually is a behind the scenes explanation for this! There was a major shake-up in the production staff between seasons 1 and 2 that mostly happened because production on the first season fell way behind schedule (The season was originally intended for a 95 release of 65 episodes, but only 30 scripts and 8 reels had been completed by March of 1996, with the first season not airing until August 1996 with only 26 episodes). This shake-up included bringing in new writers and directors who included the changes in an attempt to bring the Real Adventures closer in line with earlier installments in the franchise.

This actually seriously messed with my head as a kid because one of the changes for season 2 was inexplicably aging the cast down (Jonny went from being 14 to 13, for example and Dr. Quest's hair color changed from grey to the more traditional red of the original show) which, when it started airing sporadically on Teletoon led me to believe the second season was actually an older installment in the franchise that the first season was a sequel to.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember the animation on the episode about a tiger getting loose in the New York subway being the best I had ever seen to that point in my life, but also that the colors looked really weird.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The unstoppable might of Lulu and Hootcifer Prime (glory be.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved that with Hooty ripping himself out of the door and the sight of the entrails dangling from the porthole he used to occupy overwhelming literally everyone else with disgust.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved that with Hooty ripping himself out of the door and the sight of the entrails dangling from the porthole he used to occupy overwhelming literally everyone else with disgust.

That was great. It wasn't "Ewww." There was actual nausea and dry heaves involved. Hooty is just absolutely gross and awful.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
King :kimchi:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

At least he's in a healthier place now. And so is everybody else concerning him.

I am both anticipating and dreading Episode 5:

quote:

Gus tries to impress a group of cool kids from Glandus High, while Luz and Amity journey into the most dangerous section of the library.

On the one hand, Luz and Amity alone together in the library opens the probability for adorable romantic stuff.

On the other hand, I can hear Russell Crowe's character from Gladiator saying "At my signal, unleash fanfic Hell!"

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

*which leads to situations like Voltron coming across as fairly tame but only because they had to do a ton of editing because the original series Go-Lion is ridiculously violent even by TV Anime standards of the time

Voltron's censoring was hilariously inconsistent and in some events made things actually bleaker or more cruel than GoLion actually did.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

McTimmy posted:

Voltron's censoring was hilariously inconsistent and in some events made things actually bleaker or more cruel than GoLion actually did.

Ok I’m curious, what’s an example of Voltron somehow making things BLEAKER than the original anime?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
That new episode of The Owl House was rad as all hell. I feel like the series is finally finding its narrative footing and hitting its stride.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Madurai posted:

I suspect a name change to "Prince" at some point.

That might get weird. I presume a second name change down the line, and you know what to.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that with his more realistic outlook, his optimism is less useless. It's gone from "THOUSANDS of years ago I used to RULE EVERYTHING! Maybe someday I'll get there again!" to "I'm not that old you know... maybe my dad's still out there..."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

KingKalamari posted:

This actually seriously messed with my head as a kid because one of the changes for season 2 was inexplicably aging the cast down (Jonny went from being 14 to 13, for example and Dr. Quest's hair color changed from grey to the more traditional red of the original show) which, when it started airing sporadically on Teletoon led me to believe the second season was actually an older installment in the franchise that the first season was a sequel to.

wait now I'M confused. they actually aged the characters DOWN in the second season? i thought they were supposed to be older in the second one? i remember this random line about johnny mentioning that he wasn't old enough to drive in the first season, but in an episode in the second season he's seen driving somehwere (i think with is dad in the passenger seat).

also both johnny and hadji were more involved in actual fighting with random henchmen in the second season than the first, which is another reason i thought they were supposed to be older.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also latest Owl House ep: the remaining guardian construct of the palace being a terrifying unkillable uncomfortably organic thing actually tracks perfectly with the standard magical constructs of the Boiling Isles being giant sludge golems literally called Abominations- likely a more advanced or different track of the same type of magic.

Also on the King discussion, does make a lot of sense that he actually is a very young child. Everyone treating him as a rambunctious if bright kindergartener is actually fairly appropriate, as is the way he acts. Almost an untwist, really- in a way, he's actually exactly what he appears to be.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That might get weird. I presume a second name change down the line, and you know what to.

I'm fine with weird. I'd love Eda, Lilith, Luz and "Prince" to challenge Charlie Murphy (or his ghost) to a basketball game

Everyone fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That video isn't available in my region, sadly, but I get the idea.

Also an interesting point that King's horns may be part of his brain? And he's been semi-amnesiac due to his broken one. Actually reminds me of the ol Schlock Mercenary webcomic, where a horned species has said horns be write-only memory storage for long-term information, useful when you have lifespans measured in millennia.

Invisibility as long as you can hold your breath also reminds me of Paul. Also Guldo from DBZ, though thank Dragon Ball Abridged for having that more freshly in memory.

Also comes to mind that for all intents and purposes, Eda is King's adoptive mother... and no wonder he's so immediately affectionate towards 'Jean-Luc', who's basically his original parental figure, complete with all of those models he built being child-like emulations of the construct. Given I've suspected that's an application of the construct magic used for Abominations, Amity might become relevant later there... and comes to mind how Eda's readily taken in Luz as basically an adopted daughter. She's a maternal type. At this point, the Owl House is basically a blended family.

In short? Eda's the best kind of stepmother, who's glad to skip the toilet training and get to helping you become a functioning adult.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 28, 2021