Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

He has one pun where the guy that looks like the Joker is called "the Woker" which I guess is ok. Then he does a whole second comic, about "The Killing Woke" which is just the same pun again

I'm not sure what "I'm the bad guy, duh" is supposed to mean? The person equating progressive concepts to the Joker's ideology is the artist, not anyone else. Also I can't help but suspect "toxic wokeness" is a whinge about the existence of the phrase "toxic masculinity"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Looking forward to SMT5: All Messiahs Are Bastards

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I love that Sinfest moves so slowly that it can't keep up with the rapid pace of reactionary buzzwords. I can't think of the last time I've seen "woke" used anywhere else, let alone as multiple punchlines in quick succession.

EDIT - I guess in the loonier memes about Mark Milley? But even then, it's just there as the adjective version of "CRT."

After The War fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 27, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like how falling in that vat made his ears pierced.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

After The War posted:

I love that Sinfest moves so slowly that it can't keep up with the rapid pace of reactionary buzzwords. I can't think of the last time I've seen "woke" used anywhere else, let alone as multiple punchlines in quick succession.

EDIT - I guess in the loonier memes about Mark Milley? But even then, it's just there as the adjective version of "CRT."

I feel like “woke” segued into “cancel culture” around March or so, which then mutated into “critical race theory,” so look forward to the avatar of 2021 fighting a big obsolete computer monitor labeled “crt” in October or so, at which time she will still appear to be 20 years old and the comic will have slid into attacks on white genocide and the elders of zion.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

...Man, this dude is really going all in on the whole "evil clown but also woke" thing, huh?

wtf is this poo poo. i mean to some degree i can how some weird Dworkin type male feminist can break his brain going turf and then whatever the gently caress this reactionary leaning bullshit is.

bandaid.friend posted:

He has one pun where the guy that looks like the Joker is called "the Woker" which I guess is ok. Then he does a whole second comic, about "The Killing Woke" which is just the same pun again

I'm not sure what "I'm the bad guy, duh" is supposed to mean? The person equating progressive concepts to the Joker's ideology is the artist, not anyone else. Also I can't help but suspect "toxic wokeness" is a whinge about the existence of the phrase "toxic masculinity"

i think the implication is that he stared into the abyss and realized that no one is perfect in any movement ever and his brain cracked. like their is a zoomer line of thought that i sorta of agree with that we should stop putting various activists on pure political pedestals of purity and poo poo because eventually something will come out((not even talking like actual sex monster poo poo) but like "they dont agree with a position i have' or "they made a hosed up shitpost once or twice 10 years ago") so they get tossed off and declared evilist evil, so why have the pedistal. why have messiahism. its all bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 27, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Wasn't he already "woke" before falling into chemicals?? It doesn't even make sense.

VitalSigns posted:

*draws a factory belching pollution into the atmosphere and open vats of toxic waste just lying around everywhere, and an unarmed guy saying this is bad getting blown away*
"Yes everyone can instantly see the factory is the one being wronged here"
Also, the factory's toxic chemicals are directly what turned him into what he is now, so it looks like he was 100% correct about the harm they can do and how important it is they be stopped!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Uefa VIPs get a quarantine-free pass to Wembley – Despite the Delta variant, football officials – and Matt Hancock – get free rein"

Sunday Telegraph:

Pressure on Matt Hancock to quit after PM backs him over tryst with colleague; Matt Hancock resigns as health secretary after day of humiliation

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What impeccable timing, the gross Brittoons arrive just as I get the shits.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I just can't get over how he still draws his reverend character wearing a fake halo to indicate he and/or his religion is a fraud. But this is apparently fine now because he's anti-woke.

I guess it kinda goes along with a lot of the other New Atheists who have gone back and embraced cultural Christianity as a Noble Lie because it upholds bigotry and reactionary hierarchies

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

VitalSigns posted:

I guess it kinda goes along with a lot of the other New Atheists who have gone back and embraced cultural Christianity as a Noble Lie because it upholds bigotry and reactionary hierarchies

First I hear about this but I always knew that some people declare their irreligiosity loudly and constantly only to be assholes about it.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
drat maybe we'll get Harley Quinn as a disgusting feminist. Oh! No itll be Harvey quinn someone who was AFAB that is "two faced"

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Holy crap this is painfully stupid. No one did ever win a war by throwing pawns into a meat grinder. Thats how loving Vietnam happened! Don't recall the US famously winning that. This is how psychos fight a war. Wars are actually won by intellectuals planning to disrupt enemy supply chains and command structures. Killing ≠ Victory.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vib Rib posted:

Wasn't he already "woke" before falling into chemicals?? It doesn't even make sense.

He was woke before, but after falling in the vat he became...."Woker" :smug:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think an important piece of context for Ishida is that he was never actually a feminist. Sinfest had a brief “feminist” arc where he started flagellating about how horny the comic had been in the past, but it was a transparently insincere arc that nobody liked. He since decided that if he doesn’t measure up, it must not be through any fault of his, but because nobody is sincerely progressive. Thus, the nazis were actually right all along, which suits him just fine because those are the people with whom he happened to agree all along.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ScienceSeagull posted:

And we're now getting in-universe propaganda comics that make exactly the same point as the main comic.

He's using it as a cowardly artistic device. He can draw all his violent fantasies of authority figures going punisher on activists, but because this is only getting portrayed as a good thing in a whacky fictional comic book within his fictional world he can disavow it if someone accuses him of endorsing it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

War Wizard posted:

Holy crap this is painfully stupid. No one did ever win a war by throwing pawns into a meat grinder. Thats how loving Vietnam happened! Don't recall the US famously winning that. This is how psychos fight a war. Wars are actually won by intellectuals planning to disrupt enemy supply chains and command structures. Killing ≠ Victory.

It’s a reference to a famous scene in Patton - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PS5yfhPGaWE

“Remember, no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. They won it by making the other poor bastard die for his country.”

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Much like the cartoonist Patton was kinda nuts, unlike the cartoonist Patton was good at something.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

By popular demand posted:

First I hear about this but I always knew that some people declare their irreligiosity loudly and constantly only to be assholes about it.

I feel like a good amount of it was a response to 9/11 and later ISIS, the idea of "all religion is bad but this religion is the worst" and that conservative Christianity was the only way to combat Islam, otherwise Islam would secretly attempt to take over western society. That's where you get the bullshit scare statistics about how if Muslims ever reach 11% of the population, watch out, because that's when they'll demand sharia law and then there's no way to stop them from conquering the country.

fool of sound posted:

Looking forward to SMT5: All Messiahs Are Bastards

One more god rejected

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

drat maybe we'll get Harley Quinn as a disgusting feminist. Oh! No itll be Harvey quinn someone who was AFAB that is "two faced"

What's the over under on Ishida's latest comic being inspired by this?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

War Wizard posted:

Thats how loving Vietnam happened! Don't recall the US famously winning that.

Shut up! It was a tie!!!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Fister Roboto posted:

Shut up! It was a tie!!!

Only because those soft libs wanted to quit early. America would have won by now!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

:allears:
Collins: the only reason to use landscape mode in this thread.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

IIRC, this character who looks like Slick but taller and with glasses is Tatsuya’s direct standin right?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DalaranJ posted:

IIRC, this character who looks like Slick but taller and with glasses is Tatsuya’s direct standin right?
Him being really upset about things labeled diversity, inclusion, and equity "getting everywhere" definitely sounds like Ishida, yes.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

The context of that line is really really important. It's not a philosophical musing on the nature of war and how only badasses are fit for it, it's from a pre-battle speech, the purpose of which is to steel soldiers for the terrors of impending combat and promote unit cohesion.

You know what's really really bad for morale and unit cohesion? Bigotry. It's a heavy lift to ask someone to lay down their life for people who consider you subhuman, whether they're your comrades in arms or the country you're fighting for.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Abyssal Squid posted:

The context of that line is really really important. It's not a philosophical musing on the nature of war and how only badasses are fit for it, it's from a pre-battle speech, the purpose of which is to steel soldiers for the terrors of impending combat and promote unit cohesion.

Right! Which only highlights Varvel’s purpose and meaning in using it - he’s making the standard conservative complaint when liberals are in leadership of We Are Teaching Our Soldiers Meaningless Fruity poo poo Rather Than How To Be Cold Merciless Killing Machines. In this case, “meaningless fruity poo poo” is “racial sensitivity”. Which, as you point out:

quote:

You know what's really really bad for morale and unit cohesion? Bigotry. It's a heavy lift to ask someone to lay down their life for people who consider you subhuman, whether they're your comrades in arms or the country you're fighting for.

Race theory and awareness - especially in an organization with a higher prevalence of minorities than normal distribution - is actually meaningful, important stuff that goes to basic empathy and morale, but Varvel (like most conservative pundits) only sees The Troops through the lens of Hollywood Heroes (e.g., Patton) who never feel or suffer, but only toss bad-rear end lines with the same devastating effect with which they toss grenades.

So, yeah, good post.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Abyssal Squid posted:

hmmmm sounds like you're being divisive :smuggo:

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Agents are GO! posted:

:allears:
Collins: the only reason to use landscape mode in this thread.

I've always got to open the image separately and zoom in to read it. It's always worth it.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

NSW records 30 new COVID-19 cases on first day of two-week lockdown (ABC)

Broelman:

Warren Brown:

Part of the politics of COVID here kept describing New South Wales as the "gold standard", especially when compared to Victoria, in how to deal with the virus without having to lockdown. Rather than a circuit breaker lockdown NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian offered extremely targeted restrictions to minimise impact on business and daily life, which failed to contain the outbreak which has now spread into other states and now facing a potentially longer lockdown as a result.

Knight:

Victorian premier Dan Andrews is back to work this week after his back injury.

Kudelka:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Chris Bowen is the Shadow Minister for Climate Change and Energy, and is advocating off-shore wind farms as a source for Australian jobs.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DalaranJ posted:

No, that's a fanboy version of his author self-insert.
For awhile there, the only fanboy was the one for the Devil. Then Monique got her own mini-her fangirl. Eventually Ishida put in the fanboy for his author insert so that he could do the "arc" where he forgives himself for all of his misogynistic cartoons.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wtf is this poo poo. i mean to some degree i can how some weird Dworkin type male feminist can break his brain going turf and then whatever the gently caress this reactionary leaning bullshit is.

His regular misogyny turned into transmisogyny and now it's just regular fascism

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lemming posted:

His regular misogyny turned into transmisogyny and now it's just regular fascism

Yeah. Basically, after his half-assed nonpology failed to convince women everywhere that he was King of Feminism and hailed as a hero across the land, he had a "No, it's the children who are wrong" moment and has been doubling down ever since.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Somehow in a thread full of conservative cartoons Sinfest manages to be the most one note of them all. By comparison a cartoon like Prickly City is a cornucopia of variety.

You would think after a solid year of doing the exact same poo poo any cartoonist would get bored and try something else yet no.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail on Sunday:

Ah god, shoot me, I laughed at a Mac...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
[tearfully] "Look at the Collins, Ratzap... *sniff* Look at the Collins..."

click

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

the_steve posted:

Yeah. Basically, after his half-assed nonpology failed to convince women everywhere that he was King of Feminism and hailed as a hero across the land, he had a "No, it's the children who are wrong" moment and has been doubling down ever since.
He still goes on about the Nordic Model, so he still sees himself as a feminist, which isn’t terribly surprising given terfs’ cozy relationship with fundamentalist Christian factions in the US. Really, it makes the Dark Jesus nonsense more sinister.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

He still goes on about the Nordic Model, so he still sees himself as a feminist, which isn’t terribly surprising given terfs’ cozy relationship with fundamentalist Christian factions in the US. Really, it makes the Dark Jesus nonsense more sinister.

He’s for the nordic model? I’d figure him for a swerf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hang on a second...
https://twitter.com/RSLC/status/1392513039333838849