Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Aphex- posted:

It was the stuff at Risca. I've been to Cwmcarn loads before but never ventured round to check out the spicier stuff.

Oh nice, those trails are sick. Is Wylie still intact or have they finally started felling all the larch trees? The stuff on that hill is unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

bicievino posted:

I did a mtb race today.
It was awful. 38 miles, 7700' of elevation.
Oh and it was 100 degrees and started at 4500' and went straight up.

I need to go to a bike park to remember that MTB can be fun.

:mrwhite:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Can anyone recommend a handlebar phone mount? I’m looking for an alternative to pulling over at each junction to find my way.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I've had the impacts previously, then the normal freeriders, and I just last month bought freerider pros. The pros are incredible, super comfy, light, great stiffness in the sole (similar to the freerider tbh). I don't think I've ever heard someone say that the freerider sole is too soft for them. Do you have narrow pedals? I think the toe is more than protected enough on the pros for mountain biking purposes. I wouldn't want steel toes. I've also never fractured toes from biking.

If my pros got stolen I'd buy new ones tomorrow, I think you should at least give them a try-on. I have to say I don't really care about the durability of the shoe so long as I get what I need from it but I appreciate that other people have different needs.

The Impact line of 5 10 stuff is horrible. They're so bulky and heavy and far too wide, hot, etc. It feels like a work boot. I hated my impacts.

So my regular freeriders are notably softer than my freerider contacts, also despite the contacts being at least twice as old. But who knows, its just 2 pairs of shoes out of a million, mine could be different. Anyway, thank you for your exp with the freerider pros. They seemed like what i want, but my closest riding and otherwise friend has used impacts for like 10 years, and swears by them. So i was kinda second guessing myself, he usually has pretty good judgement. The protection of the impacts might be overkill, but i do need alot more than the regular freeriders provide.

Ill have to go see whats in stock locally. I have small feet, sometimes that helps and sometimes it hurts for availability.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
fwiw I’d second the Freerider Pro recommendation. especially if you’re pedaling.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Did 25 miles, 2500 feet of climb at the highest elevation I've ridden so far. Had to hide for an hour from a thunderstorm and still ended up getting rained on the last 8 miles down

I'm dead, thank you Colorado

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ought ten posted:

Can anyone recommend a handlebar phone mount? I’m looking for an alternative to pulling over at each junction to find my way.
You're going to blow the lens assemblies if you hardmount your phone to your bar/stem

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

You're going to blow the lens assemblies if you hardmount your phone to your bar/stem

I’m seconding what evil_bunnY said. Get an Apple Watch instead. I know Gaia GPS works with the watch and wouldn’t be surprised if trailforks does too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

I've wondered about using an old phone for this but I guess it needs data or whatever active SIM card to know where it is and interact with trailforks etc?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

CaptainTofu posted:

Oh nice, those trails are sick. Is Wylie still intact or have they finally started felling all the larch trees? The stuff on that hill is unbelievable.

I haven't checked out Wylie yet, really want to though. That Risca visit was the first time riding outside of FOD for a while!

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Fair enough - when you get the chance definitely go for it. Squirrel and Robin Run are absolute all time Valleys steep tech trails.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Ah, good warning, thank you. I knew that was true for a motorcycle, didn’t realize pedal bikes had the same effect. Watch is a good suggestion.

I know people do use old phones or buy cheap ones for nav, but I’m not sure how that works with a sim and so on.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Just get a purpose built handlebar mount gps if you need real-time navigation.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
It's a pity that all the Google glass/HUD type stuff died, I'd fork over decent money for a pair of tifosi's with maps/weather alerts/incoming calls and texts

Also, anyone around the Denver/Colorado area want to ride with me next month? I'm back to Detroit for the first two weeks of July but once I'm back I'm desperate to hit up Trestle

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 28, 2021

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
There are bike glasses with a hud in them if you look, no idea if they're good or bad but they exist.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pro: I want to go riding.

Con: It's a loving heatwave all week. :(

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

Just get a purpose built handlebar mount gps if you need real-time navigation.

I don’t need it enough to justify that. I’m just trying to ride some new local trails/ follow people’s strava rides. Only really need directions the first time through.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Work on your cardio (aka buzz) in the pool instead.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Smashed my shin with the pedal for the first time the other day landing off a jump and holy poo poo ow. I feel like every ride I pendulum back and forth between “this owns” and “I should just sell my MTB and stick to road riding” which is how I used to feel about snowboarding so I’ll stick with it for this season at least.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mosdef get padded socks if you're going to jump around on flats. It's just a matter of time until your burgerize yourself again.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

evil_bunnY posted:

Mosdef get padded socks if you're going to jump around on flats. It's just a matter of time until your burgerize yourself again.

Suffering builds character

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah my pedals unfortunately come up just under my knee/shin guards. I'd have to wear something full length to cover it off, which would be way too hot for pedaling I think. I'll probably switch back to clipless at some point, I started on flats to make learning technique easier and make sure I wasn't using the cleats as a crutch.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I got a little Garmin 130 plus computer recently for the bike with a speed sensor for the wheel. I'm liking it a lot. Having the dedicated speed sensor is nice if the GPS is spotty. It's easy to import a route from trailforks etc when you want to know exactly how much the climb is going to suck and which trail junction to take.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Rode Sheperd Mountain yesterday. Was very fun. I need a full sus.

Broke a spoke on my rear wheel on run 2 and then just ran it into the ground cause I didn't wanna quit. Now considering throwing a 27.5 2.6 on the back to mullet this 2013 stache... That's a bad (really good) idea right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpppiXBrS7Q

CH Science fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 29, 2021

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Shepherd looks really cool.

I rode Bryce resort on a 27.5+ hardtail and was pretty beat up even before my big crash from being stupid and tired. It was rough but fun, but also got me into a FS since I'm too old for it that rough and bumpy without long rests between runs.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 29, 2021

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So weather permitting (it's Winter in Aus) I'm gonna give my first crack at some proper singletrack.

I was going to hit up the green tracks at the YouYangs (and if I'm feeling lucky,. maybe the blue track that heads off the green tracks). I've done SOME single-track stuff before but nothing "proper" (even though these are green tracks).

It looks like it's gonna rain from now until Monday. How many days should I give the track to dry out before giving it a go?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Got my first Strava KOM :toot:

but it seems to be a glitch :smith:

My time dropped 13 seconds, which is pretty much impossible.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

me your dad posted:

Got my first Strava KOM :toot:

but it seems to be a glitch :smith:

My time dropped 13 seconds, which is pretty much impossible.

Lol I have a PR on a short segment I think I will never beat. It must have been gps noise. But my real times are easily 15 seconds slower.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Big rear end lights and hitting the trails at 1am is the answer.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

H13 posted:

It looks like it's gonna rain from now until Monday. How many days should I give the track to dry out before giving it a go?

This 100% depends on your local area. Some stuff you can ride in the pouring rain, some stuff takes ages to dry out.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Car Hater posted:

It's a pity that all the Google glass/HUD type stuff died, I'd fork over decent money for a pair of tifosi's with maps/weather alerts/incoming calls and texts

Also, anyone around the Denver/Colorado area want to ride with me next month? I'm back to Detroit for the first two weeks of July but once I'm back I'm desperate to hit up Trestle

Feel free to shoot me a PM. We ride Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 5:30 in Golden. I want to hit trestle on the 16th but I haven't told any of my friends.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Feel free to shoot me a PM. We ride Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 5:30 in Golden. I want to hit trestle on the 16th but I haven't told any of my friends.

Do you know anyone who wants to host someone later this summer for the BC cup DH race?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

VelociBacon posted:

Do you know anyone who wants to host someone later this summer for the BC cup DH race?

BC as in British Columbia or BC as in Beaver Creek Colorado?

I was talking Golden, Colorado.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

spwrozek posted:

BC as in British Columbia or BC as in Beaver Creek Colorado?

I was talking Golden, Colorado.

Ah go figure that there would be two places called Golden. Next you'll be telling me you have a Westminster or Surrey also. Yeah I meant BC. Whoops!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

VelociBacon posted:

Ah go figure that there would be two places called Golden. Next you'll be telling me you have a Westminster or Surrey also. Yeah I meant BC. Whoops!

You are welcome to come to Colorado as well. I do have a place to crash.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Just sort of popping my head in here, I posted a few months back in the general bike thread about looking for some sort of hybrid bike like a FX/Dual-sport/Verve to replace my lovely Walmart Roadmaster bike I bought then and still have now, obviously with inventory issues I really haven't made the purchase but looks like the Bike Barn in my area are slowly getting better in general stock numbers month by month, I guess after looking at all the hybrids and focusing a lot on them I really didn't take something like a Marlin 5 or 6 into account, I like the ruggedness because despite probably going to be riding 90% of the time on local paved bike paths, they're not as well maintained and there's always little bad pieces of road and bumps and stuff to go over. 10% of the time would certainly not be anything like a dirt/mountain trail, but probably a local gravel trail that's large and close to my area.

I guess to tl;dr it, would I really be kicking myself riding around on marlin tires for paved paths for 15-20 miles a ride every other day? I assume they're about as lovely as what I'm used to now, with the Roadmaster.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
If you don't want to go fast they're very comfy to ride anywhere thanks to the big tyres and the front suspension. For rides below 30 miles i don't see any issues tbh. A hybrid bike will give you better options for longer rides and bringing along gear, a road bike will be more efficient, letting you go faster and more distance.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Samopsa posted:

If you don't want to go fast they're very comfy to ride anywhere thanks to the big tyres and the front suspension. For rides below 30 miles i don't see any issues tbh. A hybrid bike will give you better options for longer rides and bringing along gear, a road bike will be more efficient, letting you go faster and more distance.

I'm more doing the bike riding for exerciser, diabetes and high blood pressure and gaming for years and being mid 30s has all caught up to me, I've lost about 40-50 lbs before riding my bike for just lifestyle changes, and riding my bike since around March has made me lose about 20 more so far. The speed really isn't super important, I actually just ride back and forth between two parks along a bike trail that they have, but if I had something like like a Marlin I'd probably be more tempted to get out and ride that gravel path I was chatting about.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep an eye on this thread for awhile and probably reach out to see if I can grab something in stock. I wouldn't mind a Dual sport Trek hybrid, so it's really between those two bikes.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
An upside to riding a Marlin would be the comfy ride. The wide tyres, upright position, and big suspension compared to a hybrid will smooth out your ride a ton, and will probably be less strenuous on your back as well, if you're a larger person and don't have a ton of experience riding. Making things more fun is also a big factor in continueing to do rides, and the hardtail will handle basically every type of riding you want to do! Riding chunky gravel is very fun on an entry level mtb. I'd say do a test ride on a hardtail and a hybrid and feel the difference, and decide on that. Either will be fine for your use case i would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

iroguebot posted:

Just sort of popping my head in here, I posted a few months back in the general bike thread about looking for some sort of hybrid bike like a FX/Dual-sport/Verve to replace my lovely Walmart Roadmaster bike I bought then and still have now, obviously with inventory issues I really haven't made the purchase but looks like the Bike Barn in my area are slowly getting better in general stock numbers month by month, I guess after looking at all the hybrids and focusing a lot on them I really didn't take something like a Marlin 5 or 6 into account, I like the ruggedness because despite probably going to be riding 90% of the time on local paved bike paths, they're not as well maintained and there's always little bad pieces of road and bumps and stuff to go over. 10% of the time would certainly not be anything like a dirt/mountain trail, but probably a local gravel trail that's large and close to my area.

I guess to tl;dr it, would I really be kicking myself riding around on marlin tires for paved paths for 15-20 miles a ride every other day? I assume they're about as lovely as what I'm used to now, with the Roadmaster.

I recently grabbed a Marlin 5 from a local store called the 'bike barn'. I went in to look at the Giant roam line and its not for me. the 5 is good on gravel, lock out the forks and its good on road, but I am missing my 3rd ring for those road segments. Mostly riding road only to get between sections of mellow trail so it all works out.