Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
There is no grog but grog, and WitP is his prophet.

This goes for any other game involving the pacific. Possible exception for things like War on the Sea or Task for Admiral that are trying to do totally different things, but this is a turn based, hex based game that commits the cardinal sin of being igougo.

Actually on a skim of reviews this seems to be a PC/OOB but at sea, which historically has been a poo poo idea, and I can't see any evidence this isn't poo poo either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Any thoughts on strategic minds: the Pacific?

Its ok, all of the strategic mind games are OK tbh. I dont like them because they just feel very sluggish to me in just the speed that units move and the general slowness of the UI and their graphics mean i have some trouble comprehending whats going on on the battlefield easily. I would reccomend OOB over it very strongly but its not a terrible game.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thanks everyone, gonna pass and keep smashing my head against WitP instead

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kvlt! posted:

Any thoughts on strategic minds: the Pacific?

I bounced off real hard from the Strategic Mind games. Felt like the combat was obtuse compared to Panzer Corps/Order of Battle.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I have a 50% voucher from matrix and thinking of getting Valor and Victory. Has anyone tried this already? Das has a short video and sounds mixed about it. It looks like it would be small short and infantry centric which is way more my thing over big tank battles.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Got a Matrix Games voucher so took the plunge into WitE2. I've bounced off of all things Grigsby with the exception of Uncommon Valor but I've come a long way since then and now read tons of manuals for H&C wargames and ASL so maybe I won't this time. Plus, finding a good PBEM partner would be some fun.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

thanks everyone, gonna pass and keep smashing my head against WitP instead

It's all part of the WitP process. Eventually it'll hurt so much that you'll try to stop, but then you'll find yourself missing the pain that WitP inflicts on you. You'll crave it. You'll *need* it. So, despite your every effort, you'll find yourself coming back to take your abuse time and time again.

It's best not to fight it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

It's all part of the WitP process. Eventually it'll hurt so much that you'll try to stop, but then you'll find yourself missing the pain that WitP inflicts on you. You'll crave it. You'll *need* it. So, despite your every effort, you'll find yourself coming back to take your abuse time and time again.

It's best not to fight it.

This is pretty much my exact experience with it tbh. It hurts me and I keep coming back. I love it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Good, goooooood. Now the next step is realising you can inflict this pain on others.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I love WitP, even though I've haven't played it much.
I have a bad habit of reviewing the whole map each time I start it up, and end up sending multiple supply convoys to low-supply bases because every few turns I check around and see "Oh, Canton Island is low on supply. Better send an xAKL over to restock," and end up with a stream of three or four supply ships strung out over a couple days heading there.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

Ay folks, can anyone give me a rundown on Panzer Corps 2 and a vague yay or nay about it? Noticed the sale and it's got my attention right now. I played the poo poo out of the Warhammer game that was based on the PC engine but did not actually play PC1.

I've played the main campaign (it has a bunch of branches) twice and all the AO packs and so far it's been pretty enjoyable. You're not getting any allied or soviet campaign yet, but the existing german ones are well-made for the most part and you have a pretty insane amount of configurability in terms of difficulty. The game has a system of "character traits" you can choose at campaign start that give you specific advantages and drawbacks that somewhat break the normal game rules, on top of more general difficulty settings. It works on a points system where you get a few points, while every advantage has a cost and every drawback gives you a few more to spend. Some of these can drastically change things, such as entirely locking you out of buying or upgrading airplanes (Better bring those flak guns!) or enabling every unit in your army to have two move actions per turn.

OoB does the large-scale importance of logistics and naval warfare better IMO, and gets you to more exotic parts of the war. But PC2 has a hell of a lot more configurability and overall something of a better "flow" between turns. It also does a better job than most of these games to make most units and unit types actually useful and allow you to find your own approach to building your army.

Bonus points for AO'1940 allowing you to attempt Sea Lion, and it being predestined to end in failure and a hasty retreat from Britain if you do. The AO campaigns are also where the devs started trying out things with triggers and more diverse scenarios. This sometimes ended up with questionable design decision, but they've been showing continous improvement of it through the series so far IMO.

Also, the capture system is great and you can absolutely build a crazy Mad Max-style army with just a wild mix of equipment from all over. :allears:

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 27, 2021

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Okay, I think I've finally hit on why I have always had a hard time playing games like Graviteam and Combat Mission. To be clear, I've played them a lot. But, as a bona fide WWII nut, I should be more into them than I am.

The deployment phase of any game like this sucks.

I'm not talking about the UI, the colored squares, or whatever the usual deployment phase gripes are about GT. That doesn't bother me. It's the loving mind numbing tedium of placing each individual unit, finding LOS, and fields of fire that just drive me batty. I can't tell you how many times I've set up a custom mission in CM, or loaded into the tactical portion of a GT campaign, took one look at all the units I had to place, closed the game, and moved on to something else.

Short of just half-assing the setup phase, is there anything that can be done to make this part of these games more enjoyable/less maddening?

edit: and planning arty barrages too. So frustrating.

edit 2: this is probably why I can only stand to do a turn 1 setup in WitP once every 2-3 years or so.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 27, 2021

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

Okay, I think I've finally hit on why I have always had a hard time playing games like Graviteam and Combat Mission. To be clear, I've played them a lot. But, as a bona fide WWII nut, I should be more into them than I am.

I'm not talking about the UI, the colored squares, or whatever the usual deployment phase gripes are about GT. That doesn't bother me. It's the loving mind numbing tedium of placing each individual unit, finding LOS, and fields of fire that just drive me batty. I can't tell you how many times I've set up a custom mission in CM, or loaded into the tactical portion of a GT campaign, took one look at all the units I had to place, closed the game, and moved on to something else.

Short of just half-assing the setup phase, is there anything that can be done to make this part of these games more enjoyable/less maddening?

Just give yourself a time limit for setup or like 2 tries per unit... real commanders had to do poo poo on the fly and delegate... and not every subordinate was equally skilled at reading ground.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I'm basing this mainly on my experience with Combat Mission, but (at least on the offense) I try not to overthink my deployments.

My procedure is to identify likely strongpoints -> identify key terrain that allows me to dominate/bypass those strongpoints -> formulate a basic plan for how I want to initiate contact and what I need to reconnoiter -> deploy appropriately (-> execute my plan and adjust as the situation develops). I can usually do this in less than 10 minutes.

Obviously on defense things are more complicated, but even then it's usually better to have a "good enough" deployment that is flexible than trying to create the absolutely most perfect defense possible. Unfortunately on the tactical scale I don't think there's an alternative to sticking your nose in the dirt and finding all the best keyholes, which can often take some time. This is one of the reasons I usually prefer offense to defense.

Also, on a completely different subject, are there any good deals right now for the Steam summer sale? I haven't taken a hard look.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my one grog pick-up during the Sale has been buying all the rest of the Order of Battle DLC

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

35% off Shadow Empire which is excellent imo

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

edit: and planning arty barrages too. So frustrating.

edit 2: this is probably why I can only stand to do a turn 1 setup in WitP once every 2-3 years or so.

I only play small or tiny engagements. They can gently caress off with that setting up 93 different units. I'll deal with a medium scenario if the units are pre-placed.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Infidelicious posted:

Just give yourself a time limit for setup or like 2 tries per unit... real commanders had to do poo poo on the fly and delegate... and not every subordinate was equally skilled at reading ground.

It would unfortunately fall apart far too quickly (either due to cheating or rage quitting), but I wish there were a Combat Mission LP where as you go up the chain of command, you add a minute to how often the player can interact with the thread, and nobody at the low level is allowed to own the game.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Kangra posted:

It would unfortunately fall apart far too quickly (either due to cheating or rage quitting), but I wish there were a Combat Mission LP where as you go up the chain of command, you add a minute to how often the player can interact with the thread, and nobody at the low level is allowed to own the game.

Someday I’ll run one that’s real time on twitch and it’s just chatgoons howling at their inputters for an hour.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
It's hard to run a goon vs goon game without it consuming all of your time for a month or two and pissing off your wife.

I'd love to input again but it's such a major time sink :(

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Discount code for my 0 year anniversary with Slitherine/Matrix: 5P-5103-6264-6828-8262
Can't think of anything I am likely to buy in the next 30 days.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Fray posted:

Someday I’ll run one that’s real time on twitch and it’s just chatgoons howling at their inputters for an hour.

You can do PvP real-time mode in CM, right? That would be amazing, people clicking and drawing lines as fast as possible, it would be insanity.

I guess to be watchable you'd have to have a spectator camera or something.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Edit: wrong thread.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

pthighs posted:

You can do PvP real-time mode in CM, right? That would be amazing, people clicking and drawing lines as fast as possible, it would be insanity.

I guess to be watchable you'd have to have a spectator camera or something.

Just the thought of doing real time on one of the stupidly large scenarios stresses me out

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Abongination posted:

Just the thought of doing real time on one of the stupidly large scenarios stresses me out

Just select all units and zerg rush the other mofo

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've been playing some Combat Mission Cold War and have totally given up on WEGO. My TOW M113's seem very good about moving, firing, and immediately reversing away into cover to reload. My tanks though seem oblivious to incoming fire and need to be micro-managed up and down a berm. For something so critical it should be SOP. I know I spent hours driving up and down into prepared firing positions when I was in the M1A1. Overall its enjoyable for the theater and if you can handle the game engine.

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Anyone has feedback on Hex of Steel, ex Operation Citadel? Reviews seem positive, and I'm on a beer & pretzel romp after Panzer Corps 2 dlcs & Strategic Minds.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1240630/Hex_of_Steel/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

mmtt posted:

Anyone has feedback on Hex of Steel, ex Operation Citadel? Reviews seem positive, and I'm on a beer & pretzel romp after Panzer Corps 2 dlcs & Strategic Minds.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1240630/Hex_of_Steel/

This looks amazing, Im gonna pick it up. Will report back.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Only 21, and already an excellent grog developer, it seems. In every way...

quote:

Insanely insulting response ? You threatened me return the game because you were too lazy to even google for yourself.

No, there is NO tutorial for the game. I wrote an entire guide for this purpose, and also because I don't know how to code a tutorial.

Now say what you want about me, but I have dozens of players that can prove you that you are wrong about me.

(Worth pointing out that the reviews are overwhelmingly positive and it looks like a very impressive PG/PC style game, with a big scope. This was one person who disliked that the guide was solely descriptive of mechanics apparently, and the only videos were of actual gameplay. It's about the only negative review on Steam as well. Also the developer seems to be pretty responsive in updates and improving things, so not totally a traditional dev.)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It does look like it's PC/PG but what if all of europe and i'm not really that interested in that. I think when i see a strategic game, i'd want a little more faithfulness and consistency in the design. I'm good with the weirdness in say, PC2 where you can be really zany.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Gates of Hell: Ostfront is pretty fun so far. Multiplayer is buggy as poo poo but the single player missions are real fun. I like the ability to use the tank gun sights in first person in direct control. I also love how you need to consolidate and reorganize to resupply your dudes after a big attack, definitely takes me back to my company XO days during those parts.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Ashmole posted:

Gates of Hell: Ostfront is pretty fun so far. Multiplayer is buggy as poo poo but the single player missions are real fun. I like the ability to use the tank gun sights in first person in direct control. I also love how you need to consolidate and reorganize to resupply your dudes after a big attack, definitely takes me back to my company XO days during those parts.

Ugh they stuck with first person direct control?

Worst part of call to arms.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its seperate from normal. E does standard MoW direct, T does CTA style

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How do you all feel about the soviet dlc for oob? I am not enjoying these defensive missions.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

How do you all feel about the soviet dlc for oob? I am not enjoying these defensive missions.

Defensive missions are always a slog. Where I found my fun was finding a place to launch a backhanded blow and spoil the attack. Plus you know that eventually you will be marching on Berlin so there’s that.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
There are very few games where I'm not extremely annoyed by fighting retreat missions, and Order of Battle is one of them. Actually, no, its the ONLY ONE.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Infidelicious posted:

Ugh they stuck with first person direct control?

Worst part of call to arms.

It's over the shoulder control that let's you go into first person while aiming. It can be disabled for multiplayer games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

everydayfalls posted:

Defensive missions are always a slog. Where I found my fun was finding a place to launch a backhanded blow and spoil the attack.

yeah you kind of have to "find your fun" as far as looking for a place to get aggressive and punish the Axis somewhere

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Yooper posted:

They can gently caress off with that setting up 93 different units.

This is exactly how I feel about CMNAO; though I would still play the poo poo out if CMNAO + WiTP.

For a totally different reason of course. For me it’s like, gently caress having to toggle through a zillion aircraft load outs and having to micromanage altitude, speed, in air refueling, etc. in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

This is exactly how I feel about CMNAO; though I would still play the poo poo out if CMNAO + WiTP.

For a totally different reason of course. For me it’s like, gently caress having to toggle through a zillion aircraft load outs and having to micromanage altitude, speed, in air refueling, etc. in real time.

There are scenarios where you come in with most everything set up and just take it from there. Missions are running, loadouts are set, and a plan is in action. It's more like you've transferred to a command or assumed command because the CO suddenly came down with appendicitis. Other scenarios though you come in to the entire 8th fleet just sitting there with nothing and you have to build up every single helicopter and flight plan. Both are cool, but in different ways.