Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Tarnop posted:

She wasn't even a member of the Labour Party. They tossed that rule on the fire when they saw their chance to emotionally blackmail people into voting for her.

She was some time ago but left as she was doing a job that needed impartiality, some charity thing or something iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

JK Howling with rage at the thought of a trans person.

Forgot that was where she lived.

forkboy84 posted:

CSPAM is very hostile to criticism of anything even vaguely related to Marxism-Leninism. It's mostly a good place but don't dare criticise the record of ML regimes towards workers, be it Kronstadt uprising or the massive glaringly obvious inequality in China, etc

What makes it all the more amusing is that modern China, in practice, cares about Marxism-Leninism about as much as France, for example, does about "Liberté, égalité, fraternité".

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
https://twitter.com/jamesdmorris/status/1409425738391035907

Lmao

quote:

One former minister says: “We had a saying under Blair and Brown: ‘never inflict an unnecessary election on the voters’. Tracy got the nod from Corbyn to go for it, but Keir could have stopped it if people around him had spotted the danger.

“What that really reflects is that Labour’s corporate memory is deteriorating, 11 years into opposition. Not knowing what you don’t know is the problem. And that’s more serious than people think. It’s not so much about judgement as experience.”

Another MP adds: “So many MPs and members of the NEC said to her [Jenny Chapman] ‘Do not allow this. An MP is trading in their job for what they think will be a better job? Serve out your term and then leave’. She wasn’t alive to the catastrophe, just as she didn’t think we would lose Hartlepool.”

I don't recall the centrist big brains complaining about this when Sadiq Khan ran for London Mayor 1 year after the 2015 GE.

quote:

One former Corbyn staffer said that it was “astonishing” that the loss of Batley was seen as inevitable. “No opposition leader has ever lost two by elections to the governing party. Jeremy had four defensive by-elections by the same point in his leadership and we won them all. You just think, my God, the double standards.”

:hmmyes:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kingturnip posted:

Also, saying "There's no magic money tree" when the Tories just spunked up hundreds of millions for a new royal yacht makes you look like a loving idiot.

It doesn't if you're willing to cast it in their teeth. But Labour aren't, because under Starmer they are not the opposition.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

One senior party figure says a leadership challenge from the Left would be defeated easily by 80% to 20%. “It could provide a sort of reset moment, in the way that the best thing that ever happened to Corbyn was MPs challenging him in 2016,” they say.

Amazing. They've already regained the massive hubris they had before Corbyn was elected. They should definitely test this theory.

Lungboy posted:

She was some time ago but left as she was doing a job that needed impartiality, some charity thing or something iirc.

AFAIK this is bollocks. Tons of actual MPs are patrons of charities, do work for charities etc. There's definitely no rule that you can't even be a member of a party to work for a charity.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It's amazing just how the PLP managed to find someone even less effective and charismatic than Milliband to hitch their wagon to.

All the backing they are giving him just because he is not Corbyn who they fear and hate.

jabby posted:

Amazing. They've already regained the massive hubris they had before Corbyn was elected. They should definitely test this theory.
Bloody hell, that quote. Keep me well away from whatever these people are smoking; I actually want to succeed at something in life, not keep sagely nodding at my wisdom as I keep shooting myself in the foot.

Munin fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 28, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jabby posted:

AFAIK this is bollocks. Tons of actual MPs are patrons of charities, do work for charities etc. There's definitely no rule that you can't even be a member of a party to work for a charity.

It depends on the charity but some do require you to be not part of a political party.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That Huff Post article descends into some absolute raving "bad for Jeremy Corbyn" by the end, where they're saying that Kier might get steamrolled by a challenge from the right and Coyne needs to win the Unite leadership so that sensible centrism can sweep the one event voters pay attention to, internal reforms to defang the left at the Labour Party conference.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

serious gaylord posted:

It depends on the charity but some do require you to be not part of a political party.

As far as I can tell her charity involvement is with the Jo Cox foundation which would be surprising if they don't want their staff to be in the Labour party.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

quote:

The pair this week instituted a daily 8am conference call (10am on Sundays, after Marr) with all frontbench advisers and the leader’s team. They run through what’s moving in the media and parliament and the party. Everyone is expected to arrive with ideas, but some policy advisers have been given a rude awakening, not least as McGinn’s blunt and direct style makes clear rapid improvements are needed.

We’ve been told we have to be relentless in the war of attrition against the government, hungrier than them, faster than them, more brutal than them,” one MP says. “Our mission every day should be to make some Tory somewhere wish they’d never been born today,” another says. “Only after that can we get onto our highfalutin’ political strategy for winning a general election.”
this from McGinn of "please don't call my dad" fame. also reminds me of the Monkey Dust school targets bit

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

oh god this quote from a "former Minister"

quote:

"if things are still like this next May, I think he really is in trouble."

next May!?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's really clear what kier stands for, just because it's bad doesn't mean it's unclear

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Necrothatcher posted:

oh god this quote from a "former Minister"

next May!?

Because we'll have Normal Politics after this winter and then he should be in his element lol

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

reckon it's worth rejoining Labour to try and get a vote at an impending leadership election?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I've been thinking about that but honestly atm my answer is 'lol nah'

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

namesake posted:

Because we'll have Normal Politics after this winter and then he should be in his element lol

It's odd. They don't seem to have factored in that 'not dealing with a pandemic' also makes things easier for the Tories.
As if the next 3 years are going to be anything less than the Tories replying "Yes, but we dealt with covid :smuggo: " on repeat whenever anyone criticises them.

Part of me thinks that Starmer is probably safe for now because a leadership election during the pandemic would be bad, but Labour's process takes so loving long you may as well kick it off the moment the Tories win Batley & Spen by 20.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Necrothatcher posted:

reckon it's worth rejoining Labour to try and get a vote at an impending leadership election?

Well, we just had the Left in charge of the party for several years, and where did that get us? Unless there's a challenger running on purging the Right from the party staff, mandatory reselection of MPs, locking in 1 member 1 vote style democracy etc, any left wing victory would just be a rerun of the Corbyn years.

So... maybe?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lord of the Llamas posted:

As far as I can tell her charity involvement is with the Jo Cox foundation which would be surprising if they don't want their staff to be in the Labour party.

Didn't the Tories bring in laws about links between political parties and charities?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
To follow on from Learning Curve above, someone crunched the numbers on the very visible Terfs.

https://twitter.com/HelenGradwell/status/1409070483673337856

Long story short, there appears to be roughly a thousand of them. A thousand very very vocal people but just a thousand.

In contrast theres over a million people with their pronouns in their bio.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's just like any religious 'moral majority', there's only a small core of people who are that permanently angry and vocal about being wrong.

The big danger is that they find a wedge issue to expand that, like with that weirdo 'pro-life' lawyer who attacked Tavistock when he really wants to go after Gillick and the Pill.

It's always been the case when they can't just come out and say "hi, we're poo poo" they'll find some tangential issue to moralize over.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Alice from TF has a long-time joke that there are only about 200 full-on TERFs in the UK, but every single one of them has a newspaper column. The methodology in that thread seems pretty dubious, but the conclusion still sounds about right.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

https://twitter.com/spinningjoe/status/1409098770034405376

I don't know whether to laugh or cry to be honest. This country is so loving dumb.

an island of mrs normans :stare:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
like the scenes of the orc army on the march in LOTR, but it's all WI members

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i like to think those spots around belfast and dublin area are just gardeners and farmers with poor spelling looking to buy terf

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

https://twitter.com/jamesdmorris/status/1409425738391035907

Lmao

I don't recall the centrist big brains complaining about this when Sadiq Khan ran for London Mayor 1 year after the 2015 GE.

:hmmyes:

quote:

Starmer tested the water in Ipswich last week, meeting business leaders. While the Commons is still sitting until late July, the plan is for him to every Wednesday travel to a key seat, meet families in a pub or restaurant, then spend the next day in a workplace canteen or old people’s lunch club. Once parliament rises, he would do Q&A sessions regularly too with voters.

A senior Starmer ally hits back: “Well, the pubs aren’t bloody fully open so it’s a bit hard for him to pass or fail a pub test. That’s exactly why we think that once he’s out and about, people will see the real Keir and like what they see. The [Piers Morgan] ‘Life Stories’ [where Starmer talked about his family life and upbringing] was just the start.”

What??
How could this possibly work for a national politician who has to convince millions of voters ?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

crispix posted:

like the scenes of the orc army on the march in LOTR, but it's all WI members

NOOOOOO

The WI is trans inclusive. Few years ago they got dog piled by Terfs just asking questions about safeguarding and released a statement saying “the WI is for all women, and trans women are women” and the mumsnet crowd had absolutely no come back so now simply ignore the WI’s existence.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
wow, sorry, that was very judgemental of me

apologies to the WI

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
really wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them, now i think about it

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Well he'll be getting telt on Thursday, can that count as part of his telling tour?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

really wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them, now i think about it

They would absolutely gently caress you up

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's really clear what kier stands for, just because it's bad doesn't mean it's unclear
I was having this discussion over the weekend with my parents. They were starting to talk about how it's hard to know what a politician's policy is on everything. I said you don't need to work out each seperate policy if the politician has a clear ideology. And that's the thing about Kieth. It's all gesture politics. There's no centralising ideology apart from 'we want to be the ones in power' and that's absolutely the worst kind of ideology you can have.

For all they had a go at Corbyn for being a populist, Keith is literally sleepwalking the country into fascism because he just wants to support whatever policy he thinks will get him votes, and because he's a cotswold worshipper he thinks that means setting up a headcracking police state everywhere except the green belt.

I think the most disappointing thing was hearing my mam saying that Keir seemed incapable, but then went on to say about how Boris 'stuck it out' by not quitting during the pandemic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

serious gaylord posted:

To follow on from Learning Curve above, someone crunched the numbers on the very visible Terfs.

https://twitter.com/HelenGradwell/status/1409070483673337856

Long story short, there appears to be roughly a thousand of them. A thousand very very vocal people but just a thousand.

In contrast theres over a million people with their pronouns in their bio.

There's only 600 MPs but they've still managed to ratfuck the country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
mods are in bed, everyone do a revolution

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

NOOOOOO

The WI is trans inclusive. Few years ago they got dog piled by Terfs just asking questions about safeguarding and released a statement saying “the WI is for all women, and trans women are women” and the mumsnet crowd had absolutely no come back so now simply ignore the WI’s existence.

Almost entirely unrelated, I knew the RVS were descended from the wartime WVS but when you you think they actually dropped the "Women's" part from their name?

Personally I'm annoyed that (apart from the hi-viz and extremely fetching rain poncho they sent me) it's no longer a uniformed service. If I could get some dress blues I'd be willing to quit work just to deliver meals on wheels and point people at seats in vaccination centres.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

I'm sure they can order drone strikes or send soldiers on death marches from the comfort of their own homes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was having this discussion over the weekend with my parents. They were starting to talk about how it's hard to know what a politician's policy is on everything. I said you don't need to work out each seperate policy if the politician has a clear ideology. And that's the thing about Kieth. It's all gesture politics. There's no centralising ideology apart from 'we want to be the ones in power' and that's absolutely the worst kind of ideology you can have.

For all they had a go at Corbyn for being a populist, Keith is literally sleepwalking the country into fascism because he just wants to support whatever policy he thinks will get him votes, and because he's a cotswold worshipper he thinks that means setting up a headcracking police state everywhere except the green belt.

I think the most disappointing thing was hearing my mam saying that Keir seemed incapable, but then went on to say about how Boris 'stuck it out' by not quitting during the pandemic.

can't make anything better until you're in power, and the only way to be in power is to be electable

power first policy later (principles never), you idiot antisemite :smug:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

What??
How could this possibly work for a national politician who has to convince millions of voters ?

That article was amazing. So many quotes from 'senior party members' and they're 100% focused on navel-gazing and battling the Left. No policies, no strategy, nothing.

Special award for optimism goes to that one guy who thinks that Starmer still has a chance, if he: "just shows people who he is" lol.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

What??
well, as you can see from this pair of intersecting lines, we only need to listen to one representative voter (or a focus group)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Keith Stonger's PR team discovering that the phrase 'we're listening' is trending among the vital gamer demographic and immediately assembles a focus group of 50 year old pizza restaurant owners who say they're gamers on yougov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The one person with a psychotic focus on the need for Keith to appear in a covid-free pub is a standout.