Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Internet Makes you Stupid. Or so I've heard it said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dynamic pricing has been a thing in some grocery stores for years. I remember reading about it a while ago and after a quick google I found a bunch of articles from 2017 and on about how UK grocery stores were going to trial digital price tags on shelves, which were already a thing in continental Europe.

In principle, it sounds like a reasonable, efficient way to discount and sell more perishable items to minimize waste without having minimum wage workers slap x% off stickers every night. In practice, I'm sure it's a dystopian nightmare (what purpose is it supposed to serve for non-perishable items or already massively profitable items like soft drinks)?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eXXon posted:

(what purpose is it supposed to serve for non-perishable items or already massively profitable items like soft drinks)?

It maximizes profit, OP.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Platystemon posted:

It maximizes profit makes for good investor storytime, OP.

FTFY.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The refrigerator screen things are investor storytime.

Price discrimination itself does make actual money in plenty of markets.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

We do so much talking about the tech dystopia and yet the early warning signs were clearly there, though we tried so hard to forget them.

I speak, of course, of the Dilberito

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

"We're not price gouging by charging $100 for a case of water, the algorithm dynamically decided to charge that much so it's OK"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Pillbug

Booourns posted:

"We're not price gouging by charging $100 for a case of water, the algorithm dynamically decided to charge that much so it's OK"

"Our Algorithms were built and programmed by the cheapest possible outsourcing team we could find in East Asia"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Booourns posted:

Uber/Lyft’s already done it with mass shootings.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Booourns posted:

This is the excuse for every stupid little thing in our current era; used to be you'd get a letter of rejection or a call from someone who was tasked with looking at your resume and rejecting your application. Then the algorithms came along and people started applying for 100 jobs and never hearing anything from any of them.

"Well it's a robot looking at it now so it doesn't do that. No, a script couldn't just be written to notify rejected applicants, somebody call security."

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Booourns posted:

God this would make panic hoarding so much worse than it already is. Imagine the rush on TP and pantry essentials at the beginning of Covid lockdown, only amped up exponentially by the experience of everyone seeing the digital pricetags tick up in direct correlation as the shelves get more and more bare.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hargrimm posted:

God this would make panic hoarding so much worse than it already is. Imagine the rush on TP and pantry essentials at the beginning of Covid lockdown, only amped up exponentially by the experience of everyone seeing the digital pricetags tick up in direct correlation as the shelves get more and more bare.

"Now EVERY commodity can be like Pokemon cards/Bitcoin/GME/AMC stock!" :unsmigghh:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I guess I could picture that cpu screen door thing could help deter shoplifting somehow but that seems like a pretty expensive way to go about it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And imagine the cost of replacing one when it breaks.

Also pretty funny given that the whole point of glass fridge doors for drinks is so they can show off the colourful eye-catching labels and bottles that are already designed to sell themselves. Covering them up to replace them with 2D pictures seems an own goal, marketing-wise.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And imagine the cost of replacing one when it breaks.

Also pretty funny given that the whole point of glass fridge doors for drinks is so they can show off the colourful eye-catching labels and bottles that are already designed to sell themselves. Covering them up to replace them with 2D pictures seems an own goal, marketing-wise.

What do you mean? Now marketers get to make more labels, one for the door and one for the product. Twice the income!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Been said before, but there's an argument that marketing functions more like a toxoplasmosis style disease within corporate structures, with a large amount of marketing courses explicitly being how to convince the company management that you are useful.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

skooma512 posted:

Yup, smart devices are a solution in search of a problem. Other than people who literally can't move, voice activated anything is a waste of time at home. What does an Amazon Echo even do? Why would want to bug my own house, at my own expense? So I can have a stereo with a voice assistant? All this poo poo seems like it's just a way to reinvent and repackage the "Next Song" button. I literally work in IT, I know how to set this up, but I can't really see a benefit over just doing it the old way.

BiggerBoat posted:

Somebody wrote something along the lines of "inventing problems to justify the solution" or something like that and it felt pretty apt. Connecting everything to the internet makes no loving sense and at least half the time makes the "convenience" of the tech more of a pain in the rear end. I don't like keyless cars and don't see what was so hard about putting a key in the ignition. It doesn't solve a problem. I've also left them running more than once. What "problem" is this solving beyond remembering to bring your keys with you or take them out of the car?

I live in NE FL and have ridden out 3 hurricanes. Each time, I've never lost power for any significant amount of time but you know what I DID LOSE every time? Internet. I was very grateful for my DVD library and actual books and also thankful that my stove and fridge didn't need software updates. I did get a taste of not being able to play certain video games though because they needed to be online always.

I recently couldn't schedule a lab appointment because my phone wasn't cooperating with the log in system even though I was standing right there in the office. The solution was for me to go home, grab my laptop, create and account, register and then drive back in for an appt 3 or 4 hours later. It was like not being able to order food in a McDonalds because the kiosk was down. Even though there were 8-10 workers there. It's real "your floor is now clean" Idiocracy vibes.

I don't mind using tech to make things more convenient but more and more it feels like it just makes things more complicated and opens up all sorts of security problems. I think the next big "terrorist attack" or nationwide "national disaster" is going to be internet related. Something or someone will cripple the power grid, the web or air traffic control. That, or we're going to get a serious, major, untraceable security breach on some big banks, telecom or Twitter, FB or Google.

KozmoNaut posted:

Then do without, or buy a PC monitor or a commercial display.

I'm sorry it took you so long to realize that you live in a country that doesn't even attempt respect your privacy.

The solution is to either change the system or move somewhere better. And abolish for-profit healthcare and landlordism.

Oh goodie, nothing is quite as tedious as the reasoning of “I don’t understand why people value different things than I do.” You’re arguing against the existence of a switch on a lamp because you could just pull the plug out of the wall. People enjoy minor conveniences. They’re willing to pay for them. Do you go through your friends’ cabinets and shame them for taking up a whole shelf with a salad spinner, or owning an oven with a built-in timer? It’s like listening to a Seinfeld set: “what’s the deal with smart devices?”

A smart TV is a convenient thing. A tv that doesn’t need cables, multiple controllers, external speakers, or a Roku/Apple TV/Fire Stick? My parents would love that. Meanwhile, an Echo is a halfway decent Bluetooth speaker with voice control. Again, that’s a pretty convenient thing. It is not bad to want these things. It is a regulatory problem that these devices are allowed to exist in their current state.

You’re letting corporations off the hook by pretending consumers should be expected to vote with their dollars (loving lol) in such numbers as to make a meaningful impact.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I gave away my first-gen Echo earlier this year. When I first got it, it was aces because it would play anything in my music library, not just things that had been licensed for streaming. I could, and did, hook it up to my shopping-list app. I loved it when cooking because I could reach into the fridge, say "Alexa, add cream to the shopping list", and carry on with the recipe. And, of course, set timers, by far its heaviest use.

Then they tricked it up so that you had to pay for Amazon music to listen to many cuts, and furthermore it would play "Take it to the limit, 1985 live remix, by the Eagles" because that was the licensed version. And my shopping app stopped hooking up to ITTT. The combo of those made it mostly a panopticon paperweight.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Baronash posted:

shame them for taking up a whole shelf with a salad spinner

Shame me?

Buddy, if you aren't centrifuging lettuce, why are you even making the salad?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
using lettuce instead of spinach in your salad is a crime

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I never enjoyed salad at home until I started spinning the greens. Spinning is actually key to deliciousness.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I just keep my salad spinner in my refrigerator. Either it is busy holding my greens, or it is shaming me into buying more. Serves its purpose either way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sextro posted:

I never enjoyed salad at home until I started spinning the greens. Spinning is actually key to deliciousness.

When I was a kid, we put the greens in a wire basket and went outside and windmilled the basket. Ah, the good old days. (Black-seeded Simpson Lettuce sucks under all conditions, if you were wondering.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronash posted:

A smart TV is a convenient thing. A tv that doesn’t need cables, multiple controllers, external speakers, or a Roku/Apple TV/Fire Stick? My parents would love that.

lol what

This is some black-and-white infomercial poo poo.

attempts to hook up VCR with garden hose, becomes entangled like it’s a boa constrictor, spouse walks in and trips on hose

“There has to be a better way!”

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

withak posted:

luv 2 engage with my favorite brands

This is ironic, right until nintendo cereal makes a comeback.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Platystemon posted:

lol what

This is some black-and-white infomercial poo poo.

attempts to hook up VCR with garden hose, becomes entangled like it’s a boa constrictor, spouse walks in and trips on hose

“There has to be a better way!”

I've got a Smart TV and the $20 bargain basement Roku I use with it is significantly more powerful.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Freakazoid_ posted:

This is ironic, right until nintendo cereal makes a comeback.

They never left. My child eats this:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Baronash posted:

Oh goodie, nothing is quite as tedious as the reasoning of “I don’t understand why people value different things than I do.” You’re arguing against the existence of a switch on a lamp because you could just pull the plug out of the wall. People enjoy minor conveniences. They’re willing to pay for them. Do you go through your friends’ cabinets and shame them for taking up a whole shelf with a salad spinner, or owning an oven with a built-in timer? It’s like listening to a Seinfeld set: “what’s the deal with smart devices?”

A smart TV is a convenient thing. A tv that doesn’t need cables, multiple controllers, external speakers, or a Roku/Apple TV/Fire Stick? My parents would love that. Meanwhile, an Echo is a halfway decent Bluetooth speaker with voice control. Again, that’s a pretty convenient thing. It is not bad to want these things. It is a regulatory problem that these devices are allowed to exist in their current state.

You’re letting corporations off the hook by pretending consumers should be expected to vote with their dollars (loving lol) in such numbers as to make a meaningful impact.

I think we view the situation very differently but I can't be entirely sure since you seem kind of all over the place here.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Volmarias posted:

I've got a Smart TV and the $20 bargain basement Roku I use with it is significantly more powerful.

Yeah, all of the "smart" TVs I've ever owned have had worse streaming app experiences than just using a Roku/Firestick. My uninformed speculation is that all of the apps are better optimized for the streaming plug-in devices than the TVs themselves, what with the sheer variety of TVs.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BiggerBoat posted:

I think we view the situation very differently but I can't be entirely sure since you seem kind of all over the place here.

Folks are arguing against minor conveniences and smart devices and the only coherent position against them in this thread is that many come with poor security and lovely privacy policies. My argument is two fold:

1. Desiring minor conveniences is nothing new, and making braindead "but why would someone pay for something I personally don't care about?" posts is tedious.
2. Desiring these things does not make it okay for companies to sell you an insecure device or use the devices you pay for to gather PII to sell.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, all of the "smart" TVs I've ever owned have had worse streaming app experiences than just using a Roku/Firestick. My uninformed speculation is that all of the apps are better optimized for the streaming plug-in devices than the TVs themselves, what with the sheer variety of TVs.

In the case of Google/Android TV, it's because even Google stopped giving a poo poo for three straight years until 2020 on their TV OS. And a lot of apps are pretty lovely and unoptimized as a consequence.
Then there's the simple fact that unless your phone uses a Mediatek SoC, it's going to be considerably more powerful and use regularly updated versions of streaming apps. And Chromecast, while it still has faults, is pretty decent by comparison.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 27, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Volmarias posted:

They never left. My child eats this:

This is the modern slim Pikachu, not the 90s fat Pikachu. Your child eats lies.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

90s fat Pikachu

Your TV is incorrectly set to show 4:3 content in 16:9.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been said before, but there's an argument that marketing functions more like a toxoplasmosis style disease within corporate structures, with a large amount of marketing courses explicitly being how to convince the company management that you are useful.

I've worked at a lot of B2B marketing software companies, and you learn pretty quickly on that the actual main use of your software is to produce graphs that make your users look good on quarterly slide decks, which is many, many times more important than actually being honest about results or even doing the thing your software says it does on the website.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Baronash posted:

Folks are arguing against minor conveniences and smart devices and the only coherent position against them in this thread is that many come with poor security and lovely privacy policies.

Coherent position number 2 for you: many of these "minor conveniences" are in fact more actively annoying than they are convenient, and it sucks that it has become difficult to avoid them. The entirety of the impact on my life from having a smart TV is: it takes longer to turn on, has to update its firmware sometimes, and can show me ads whenever it gets left on the wrong input. None of these things are convenient or positively impact the user experience in any way. They suck and everything it theoretically has to offer (streaming, I guess?) is done better by dedicated devices.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Startup idea:

This
https://mobile.twitter.com/otago/status/1409330977046945798

but with monthly subscription fee that includes fixed amount of unlocks per month or one time payments too unlock.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ephex posted:

Startup idea:

This

but with monthly subscription fee that includes fixed amount of unlocks per month or one time payments too unlock.

ya'll remember that wi-fi chastity cage that got hacked? Nothing bad can come of this.

Seriously though, if you can afford to pay for elective dentistry to wire your jaw shut plus a subscription fee, you can afford a personal trainer for a year.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

when i put in my mind the image of a person who genuinely thinks "i have to install a surgical dental implant that remote-control locks my jaw shut so i can reach my personal diet goals, nothing else will work" i see someone who's only going to be sticking to healthy nutrient shakes for a hot moment and, shortly upon the onset agony of a horrendously sudden, metabolically abrupt dietary change guaranteed to cause absolute misery, doing things like mainlining soft milkshakes like what you can find at fast food places, and ending up with an even more atrocious diet than before

everyone involved in the construction of this device needs to be left on a desert island with nothing but the world's surplus juicero stock. and if it ever looks like this terrible device stands even a chance of going onto the market, ever, we need a very public notice of concern about this from medical ethics boards and a real clear indication that any medical professional who would EVER sign off on the implantation of this device is going to have regulatory bodies on their rear end

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ephex posted:

Startup idea:

This

I can absolutely see horrific potential in the idea of a company that will loan you a huge amount of money in exchange for fitting a device that makes a basic bodily function (eating, sleeping, pooping, breathing) subscription-based until the loan is repaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Starvation-as-a-Service