Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

jokes posted:

1. I’ll be buzzing around but I’m staying at “first Ward” and it’s apparently a mile from downtown.
2. I’m not big on seafood, but I’m not picky I just really like eating tasty things

People are suggesting a lot of things, and many of them are great, but for burgers in particular you gotta go with Stanton's City Bites. If you're going to be in the First Ward it'll be right in your backyard, and I think they're my favorite burgers I've had in the loop (including Lankford).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

jokes posted:

Holy gently caress hopdoddy sucks. Bad burgers, “okay” fries, way overrated.

I'll cop to liking the burgers at one point but I think they've gotten aggressively worse since.

If I'm looking for a good burger in Austin I usually go Hyde Park these days.

Also P-Terry's is apparently doing occasional special burgers now. Their BBQ Bacon burger wasn't actually too bad for what it was.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
barnabys' salads are legendary, the sandwiches are great (love the turkey with cranberry mayonaise), and i love the pork chops. also their carrot cake is the best and the spinach artichoke dip is terrific.

that and their portions are insane, you get like three meals out of each thing especially the salads.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
It's not as high end as the burger nerd chat but shoutout Spicy Chen off center and spencer for being both close enough to where I work and also pretty loving decent while heavy with the portions. The singaporean lo mein is pretty legit, as was the ma po tofu.

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

Sir Tonk posted:

barnabys' salads are legendary, the sandwiches are great (love the turkey with cranberry mayonaise), and i love the pork chops. also their carrot cake is the best and the spinach artichoke dip is terrific.

that and their portions are insane, you get like three meals out of each thing especially the salads.

All that and they get extra points from me for being gay as hell.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i know i already shouted out any banh mi, but seriously if you’re near downtown go to cali sandwich as previously said if you’re at all into vietnamese food. i miss living near there so goddamn much; their curry tofu and salt and pepper tofu are my favorite tofu dishes in town bar none.

moon tower inn got some drat fine sausage dogs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can someone mail me a Houston banh mi actually

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you’re doing bbq you can’t go wrong with the pit room.

Hit up a bakery like common bond or if you’re in the mood, Catalina coffee. I’m sad I’m moving to Austin soon because the food scene here is so good.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nikumatic posted:

i know i already shouted out any banh mi, but seriously if youre near downtown go to cali sandwich as previously said if youre at all into vietnamese food. i miss living near there so goddamn much; their curry tofu and salt and pepper tofu are my favorite tofu dishes in town bar none.

the salt pepper tofu is so goddamn good, been eating that forever. also the tofu luc lac.

the bbq pork and tofu banh mi are my favorites, personally, just watch out for the peppers

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nikumatic posted:

i know i already shouted out any banh mi, but seriously if you’re near downtown go to cali sandwich as previously said if you’re at all into vietnamese food. i miss living near there so goddamn much; their curry tofu and salt and pepper tofu are my favorite tofu dishes in town bar none.

I've always preferred Thien An to Cali but that's a personal thing. Still need to try Roostar.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I would argue the Austin food scene is behind Houston , Dallas, and San Antonio

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh somehow I forgot that Moon Tower Inn is one of the best burgers in town too. It’s smaller than it used to be but still drat good.

Aaaalso, Siu Lap City is a Chinese butcher in downtown that is super good.

Stantons is better than lankfords too.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
If I had to remember The Woodlands exists then you do too

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1409232870946836480?s=20

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Ah the Woodlands, biggest collection snobs, assholes, and super car crashers.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

The Woodlands... is not good.

One of my uncles moved out past Conroe because the Woodlands was getting too built up or something like that :psyduck:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the houston burbs are downright pleasant compared to the northeast. heampstead new york is the second biggest town in the state after nyc and nobody ever talks about it because it's gotta be hell on earth. long island, new jersey and the boston area are below fargo on places where i could tolerate living

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I went to high school at the woodlands and just lol at the whole rear end area.

I think my favorite bit though is the woodlands waterway was suppose to be this San Antonio river walk like deal from I-45 all the way down to lake woodlands. Only problem is they built the canal from two directions and didn’t confirm the elevation of it at all. So now you go down about a quarter of the way and it suddenly stops. On the other side of the wall is a 20ft drop to the rest of the channel. You now have two waterways that can’t connect and can’t get people from the lake homes and condos to the entertainment and business areas closer to the highway.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Marxalot posted:

If I had to remember The Woodlands exists then you do too

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1409232870946836480?s=20

These people don't think Houston counts as a major metro

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
In grad school my wife needed to do an interview with someone who lived in a gated community in The Woodlands, and she says it was the only neighborhood she's ever been to where the gate guard had to know you were coming in advance before he'd let you in. Not just "sign in and out for accountability" or anything - you had to be on the list.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE2eGGiwx9s&t=2872s

i love you all very much (it's timestamped)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I was down in austin yesterday and holy poo poo i forgot just how much i loving hate the domain

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The Woodlands: all of the traffic, none of the fun

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just zoomed into the woodlands on google maps and there's a cheesecake factory and a flemings next to each other at the mall on 45

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

A friend moved to the woodlands last year and has been trying to get me to move ever since. Uh, nope.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

yall should really be more grateful to the domain for giving you something to performatively complain about nonstop

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
First Ward spots - all walkable in that neighborhood

Xin Chao - great high end Vietnamese
Local Pho - good regular Vietnamese
Gus' Fried Chicken - Memphis fried chicken
Stanton's - GREAT burger spot
Spring Street Beer and Wine - Neighborhood bar with a Birria food truck
Cafe Brussels - Belgian spot with a crochety old owner
Catalina Coffee - good morning coffee spot (not sure if they have reintroduced tables inside or not at this point)
Holler - Brewery (there is another brewery called Platypus but it's very mediocre)
Buffalo Bayou Brewery - great deck with a view of the city, good beer, good food

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 28, 2021

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Buffalo Bayou Brewing at least used to have a fairly toxic management team apparently, and I'm not sure if they've gotten any better.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

No big surprise to anyone here I'm sure, but:

https://twitter.com/PeterHotez/status/1408394218616274947?s=20

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
And literally nothing will be done about the propagandists who make all this death not just possible, but inevitable. That would be indecorous.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The worst part of this poo poo is that we could be at a place where people who can't get vaccinated would be protected by herd immunity, bit all of this flagrant stupidity puts that group at risk.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Badger of Basra posted:

yall should really be more grateful to the domain for giving you something to performatively complain about nonstop

aint nothing performative about my complaining! It feels VERY Californian.

Also waaaaay too many people on a Saturday night for me to be comfortable

also too many people for an ongoing pandemic. almost every one of them maskless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/jbouie/status/1409478856113901569

Here we go, national Dems are gonna be “hmmmm Senator Lina Hidalgo?”

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I’d be very pleased with Mayor Lina Hidalgo.

Then governor.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I am extremely optimistic that this time it will work and not end up derailing a promising career by failing at higher office.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
We should just not even try, you're right.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Captain Monkey posted:

Then governor.

I'd rather have her as County Judge than Mayor. Nothing will derail your aspirations of higher office faster than being the Mayor of Houston where every interest group in the universe from any and all sides hates your guts all the time.

The County Judge is a prominent position, with a good amount of power and tons of good press during emergency situations. She's already announced she's running for re-election in 2022 - then it's probably a Gov run in 2026 if things go well.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Houston mayor is limited to two four-year terms, county judges can serve as long as they keep getting re-elected. It would probably be better to not become mayor of Houston.

Also a Houston mayor tried running for governor and 2010 and got creamed, so, not exactly a good precedent. And Bill White was an old white former CEO with much of his business experience in the energy sector.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's a selfish desire, Houston hasn't had a good mayor in a while.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jbouie/status/1409478856113901569

Here we go, national Dems are gonna be “hmmmm Senator Lina Hidalgo?”

The only way for that to happen is to carpetbag to another state, sadly. There's no way Cruz is losing in 2024 to anyone aside from Donald Trump in the Republican primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

Then governor.

State AG, then LT Governor so she can actually get poo poo done and possibly wrangle the ledge to not be a complete poo poo show. Then Forever Governor.