Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

Too bad those new motherboards are going to be permanently sold out for the next couple years.

Microsoft's timing is pretty poo poo on this one, we're gonna use every minute of that 2025 date for W10 (ignoring all the usual integration delays with a major OS update).

You don't need a TPM module to use TPM. Modern motherboards can do it in software. Also there's a Windows 11 thread if anyone wants more info.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971625

And this Ars Technica article is informative.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/heres-what-youll-need-to-upgrade-to-windows-11/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

LochNessMonster posted:

Most communication platforms have less desirable sides but Teams is the absolute worst.

The grouping of teams/channels is garbage. The random invisible state of channels inside a team is garbage.

Managing notifications is garbage (the default settings for this are a landfill).

The lack of structure in your chat history is horrible.

Search in even just a few months of history is returning more false positives than actual results.

The entire UI is a burning dumpster.

The only thing that does work without issues is video conferencing/screensharing, but that does not make up for all the other crap.

I hope MS forces their entire company to eat their own dogfood so the engineers from other departments will get so fed up using this crap that they’ll start improving it themselves. Basically what they did with Azure DevOps.

That is a lot of words to not even answer my question lmao.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

HipChat was better: local cache and better use of space

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sickening posted:

That is a lot of words to not even answer my question lmao.

Pick a random one. Anything is better.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

Most communication platforms have less desirable sides but Teams is the absolute worst.

The grouping of teams/channels is garbage. The random invisible state of channels inside a team is garbage.

Managing notifications is garbage (the default settings for this are a landfill).

The lack of structure in your chat history is horrible.

Search in even just a few months of history is returning more false positives than actual results.

The entire UI is a burning dumpster.

The only thing that does work without issues is video conferencing/screensharing, but that does not make up for all the other crap.

I hope MS forces their entire company to eat their own dogfood so the engineers from other departments will get so fed up using this crap that they’ll start improving it themselves. Basically what they did with Azure DevOps.

Just this week I had a Teams meeting added to my Outlook calendar by some random person at work; my first indication that this was happening was a bajillion Teams popups as members of the 400-strong attendee list started going "can you hear me?" in chat when said Teams meeting started whilst I was in an actual important meeting that I had actually accepted.

It's basically the epitome of "things I don't want to happen re: meetings at work".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Pick a random one. Anything is better.

Still not an answer and lol at that. Whatever, lets agree to disagree.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i agree with them, it's bad

i even run some css modifications so the message window stretches across the entire space available for messages instead of arbitrarily having 20% width padding

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Slack is better for async chat
Zoom is better for video
Something (probably google docs?)is better for document sharing/collaboration

Teams is second best at a bunch of different things, but it does all of those things on one platform instead of having to switch between a bunch of different non-integrated services.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I used Teams all though the pandemic and a little before. It's not great. Screenshares make really bad use of screen real estate. Chat history search is horrible when you compare it to Slack.

I predict in about 5 years Enterprises are going to be trying to find a way to collect or keep track of all the unstructured data that's being dumped into Sharepoint.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bonzo posted:

I predict in about 5 years Enterprises are going to be trying to find a way to collect or keep track of all the unstructured data that's being dumped into Sharepoint.

lol

That has been a problem much longer than teams has been around and has hundreds of solutions.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I work for a law firm that's been working on migrating to Office 365 for a couple years now, and will eventually be moving to Teams for everything including telephony. Data governance concerns are a GIGANTIC problem for us. We're having to rebuild our data governance process and tech stack pretty much completely to deal with it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

you ate my cat posted:

I work for a law firm that's been working on migrating to Office 365 for a couple years now, and will eventually be moving to Teams for everything including telephony. Data governance concerns are a GIGANTIC problem for us. We're having to rebuild our data governance process and tech stack pretty much completely to deal with it.

This is what I was getting at. Last March you had orgs scrambling to get people setup to WFH with little to no planning so there's lots of sensitive info where it shouldn't be.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know we've talked about this topic a couple of times in this thread, so I wanted to link a newly created thread for the topic... Ethics in IT: start doing ransomware and only target "bad" orgs

Come join in on the conversation!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We use Slack/Zoom/Box instead of Teams.

I liked Teams, but these work fine too

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

We use Slack/Zoom/Box instead of Teams.

I liked Teams, but these work fine too

Setting up data governance in slack is the loving worst. Box data classification suuuucks.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dear IT thread, I never thought it could happen to me. After years of being guarded about what I actually do for a living someone finally texted me saying "hey, you work with computers right, do you mind helping me set up my printer."

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Defenestrategy posted:

Dear IT thread, I never thought it could happen to me. After years of being guarded about what I actually do for a living someone finally texted me saying "hey, you work with computers right, do you mind helping me set up my printer."

Did you reply with a “friendship with x is now over, y is my new best friend” ?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Most printers are dead simple to setup nowadays anyway, at least in a home setting.

If you can’t unbox and plug it in, join it to your WiFi and have it ‘just work’ with Windows, return it and try again.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

"Sure! $150/hr, two hour minimum. I can be there between 12-5pm"

Reminds me of a time when an associate of mine gave my home number to a stranger, who then called me asking for help using Frontpage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NPR Journalizard posted:

I was looking into upgrading my home computer a couple of months ago, but held off because prices are stupid crazy. Pretty glad I did now. Will wait another year or so, hopefully prices will be back to semi normal and I can do it painlessly.

Of course, you’re going to have to deal with the increasingly aggressive attempts to get you to upgrade, ala Windows 10 from 7/8.

Bonzo posted:

"Sure! $150/hr, two hour minimum. I can be there between 12-5pm"

This

quote:

Reminds me of a time when an associate of mine gave my home number to a stranger, who then called me asking for help using Frontpage.

The gently caress? That’s just rude. I’d be giving *their* personal phone number to every spammer and scammer I could find. And signing them up for every offer possible.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
No poo poo. My mom did that whole “hi can you talk to my friend about her computer problem, here let me hand her the phone.”

She did that exactly once, because I made drat sure it didn’t happen again.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm currently trying to talk my elderly parents through switching to a new cable modem and I can feel what's left of my soul shriveling up.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm currently trying to talk my elderly parents through switching to a new cable modem and I can feel what's left of my soul shriveling up.

I have my parents rent a modem and pay the gently caress-you $4 monthly or whatever 'maintenance fee' so I can worry less about ever having to support it, and just ask them to call Comcast.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Do ya'll managers expect cover letters for your entry level admin roles?

context: applying to start-up / evil mega-corporate application admin roles, trying to transition out of four years of helpdesk

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 28, 2021

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

tokenbrownguy posted:

context: applying to start-up / evil mega-corporate application admin roles, trying to transition out of four years of helpdesk

I'm not a manager but I was always told that cover letters are necessary for any job. Write cover letters, they won't hurt you and not writing them probably will.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

guppy posted:

I'm not a manager but I was always told that cover letters are necessary for any job. Write cover letters, they won't hurt you and not writing them probably will.

thank you

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Might depend on the country, in the US absolutely no one in IT is looking for them anymore. I was a hiring manager 2016-2021 and still do 1-2 interviews a week.

I don’t provide them when looking for work either. It has never once come up or seemed to be an issue. Don’t waste your time with that or sending thank you cards or follow up emails or whatever.

Edit: I recently got a call from a company is applied for with a blank cover letter their system required I upload one.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 28, 2021

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

tokenbrownguy posted:

hell no

it's never helped any candidate i've been involved with hiring, but it's certainly hurt a few.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Never written a cover letter in five jobs across two disparate fields, not gonna start now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’ve written covers letters for every job I’ve applied for except for my current one.

The reason I didn’t write one for this job is because I was going through a recruiter and didn’t feel like it was necessary.

No idea if it’s helped in any way, don’t think it’s hurt.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
As a hiring manager I never read cover letters. I was only interested in applicants’ resumes. The big test for me was if their resume looked good and we called them in for an interview, if they could answer the question “what is your troubleshooting process?” without immediately flop sweating and stammering out a complete non-answer over the course of too many minutes.

It still blows my mind how many people looking for IT work apparently can’t effectively answer that question. It’s like 99% of the job regardless of your position!

As a current job seeker I honestly can’t tell if they help. So far it honestly doesn’t seem like it. I feel like I’ve gotten more callbacks on jobs I’ve applied to without a cover letter for whatever reason.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 28, 2021

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’ve only written cover letters when the hiring process explicitely required one.

I do read them when hiring but it doesn’t add much value. Usually it’s a generic word cloud of bullshit bingo.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm genuinely surprised that so many people feel they're unnecessary or even harmful now. I know my org is looking at them more than they used to and I've never, ever heard anyone say they were actively detrimental until today. Like I said, I was always told they were mandatory, and my thought process has generally been that some orgs want you to write them, some don't, but no orgs want you to not write them.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t know that they’re harmful, I just wouldn’t spend any job searching time worrying about them personally. Any org requiring that stuff is probably having a tough time hiring right now, I’m bouncing off of online applications that take too much time at this point there’s too many fuckin options to worry about it

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

guppy posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that so many people feel they're unnecessary or even harmful now. I know my org is looking at them more than they used to and I've never, ever heard anyone say they were actively detrimental until today. Like I said, I was always told they were mandatory, and my thought process has generally been that some orgs want you to write them, some don't, but no orgs want you to not write them.

inherently harmful, meh probably not.

poorly written ones have absolutely made candidates appear worse than they would have otherwise

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Most printers are dead simple to setup nowadays anyway, at least in a home setting.

If you can’t unbox and plug it in, join it to your WiFi and have it ‘just work’ with Windows, return it and try again.
Ask me to help you set up a printer and I'll help with the basics.

Tell me you want it on WiFi and I will point and laugh in your face, gently caress that poo poo. Take the kind of cheap shitbox printers that the average moron buys for themselves, then add a half-assed WiFi implementation run through a terrible UI. And inevitably it'll forget some setting every few months. No one should have to deal with that.

WiFi is for things that move or normally get installed in weird places where wiring is impractical. Printers have neither of those needs. Printers get plugged in with wires, period.

edit: There are actually printers in production these days that ONLY have WiFi, and everyone responsible for developing, producing, distributing, or purchasing those piles of e-waste should have all their decision-making privileges revoked.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't look at them, I also don't care for follow-up emails. That said, my best engineer sent a follow-up email

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sepist posted:

I don't look at them, I also don't care for follow-up emails. That said, my best engineer sent a follow-up email

Same. I only sent a follow up mail if I haven’t heard anything in a week.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I get the idea of a cover letter in a time before rapid response communications, but I don't get the point of follow up comms from the interviewee? Is it just some dumb idea of being so excited for the job you really want to impress the interviewer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

I get the idea of a cover letter in a time before rapid response communications, but I don't get the point of follow up comms from the interviewee? Is it just some dumb idea of being so excited for the job you really want to impress the interviewer?

It’s more like the hiring process is so opaque that you’re grasping at straws for anything that would help you stand out from the hundreds of other mediocre applicants.