Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

What is a "Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle"? Can I use this same logic to sell my "Partial Zero Calorie Granulated Sugar"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cruft posted:

What is a "Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle"? Can I use this same logic to sell my "Partial Zero Calorie Granulated Sugar"?

https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a32812793/pzev/

will probably answer most of your questions.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cruft posted:

A car where the engine turns off when it's stopped. So, like a parked car.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I did some research and it appears to be along the lines of "clean coal", where they add a bunch more stuff on in order to keep exploding gasoline for propulsion but lower emissions more. I honestly thought the EV in PZEV was Electric Vehicle.

Please disregard my derail.

EV content to atone: Albuquerque just got a dozen new L3 chargers and we might be able to get the Leaf there now. Maybe. I know you're supposed to only need 83 miles for 90% of trips or something, but when the closest Costco is a 2 hour drive on the Interstate, this statistic isn't very helpful.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just zero vapor emissions. It's just a cleaner standard than the federal standard was at the time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"This is the new ultra healthy diesel truck. It spews out a dense black miasma of lung shredding carcinogens, but the cup holder only fits sugar free soft drinks."

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Westy543 posted:

Yeah, I'll also be surprised if it's anything more than a mild hybrid. :(

A 48V mild hybrid for torque fill on a turbo engine could be fantastic if they can keep the weight down.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

McTinkerson posted:

A 48V mild hybrid for torque fill on a turbo engine could be fantastic if they can keep the weight down.

It won't get a turbo.

I'd bet it'll be a very similar setup to the current Skyactiv-X 3, slightly better fuel economy but not more performance.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's a shame cause you can make a very fun pure electric miata if you just accept a sub-100 mile range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZws7kE3U5k

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cruft posted:

LOL, congratulations on your new thread title.

That can't be me, it was a manual!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

cruft posted:

EV content to atone: Albuquerque just got a dozen new L3 chargers and we might be able to get the Leaf there now. Maybe. I know you're supposed to only need 83 miles for 90% of trips or something, but when the closest Costco is a 2 hour drive on the Interstate, this statistic isn't very helpful.

Try buying your groceries at a nearby grocery store instead of at the the bulk membership place.

Or, alternatively, use the bulk retailer to buy more than a month's worth of food at once so you can just cook from the pantry 45 days in a row.

Either of these practices should reduce your need to be a whiney bitch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Speleothing posted:

Try buying your groceries at a nearby grocery store instead of at the the bulk membership place.

Or, alternatively, use the bulk retailer to buy more than a month's worth of food at once so you can just cook from the pantry 45 days in a row.

Wow.

I don't actually have a Costco membership, haven't been inside one for maybe a decade. But I guess I won't bother explaining more things for you to be a jerk about.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Speleothing posted:

Lol the gently caress is your problem, princess?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Speleothing posted:

The hell is your problem?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Speleothing posted:

I dont in general have issue with some jousting and sparring but this will not fly esp in this thread.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That was weird.

Hey can I ask a silly question because I'm really not much of a car guy and only follow this thread because researching buying an EV made me an EV nerd: Why are Miatas not likely to become totally electric (anytime soon)? Is it because they're so tiny the weight of the battery vs the sportiness of the car becomes a problem?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, exactly. The Model 3 has like 500kg or batteries, that's half of what the whole miata weighs. An electric motor is lighter than ICE, but even if it weighted 0, that wouldn't be enough to offset the batteries. You can either make it powerful and heavy like the Roadster, or light and with short range and no more power than a normal miata, like that conversion above.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes, exactly. The Model 3 has like 500kg or batteries, that's half of what the whole miata weighs. An electric motor is lighter than ICE, but even if it weighted 0, that wouldn't be enough to offset the batteries. You can either make it powerful and heavy like the Roadster, or light and with short range and no more power than a normal miata, like that conversion above.

I bet it'd still be pretty fun if you get the weight balance right.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Charles posted:

I bet it'd still be pretty fun if you get the weight balance right.

The conversion? I'm sure it is, I think they said they maintained the weight balance and it's probably faster 0-30 or something. But it's not exactly something Mazda could sell

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

The conversion? I'm sure it is, I think they said they maintained the weight balance and it's probably faster 0-30 or something. But it's not exactly something Mazda could sell

A heavy Miata with reasonable range. But you'll be up higher too, unless you sacrifice trunk space.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

dissss posted:

It won't get a turbo.

I'd bet it'll be a very similar setup to the current Skyactiv-X 3, slightly better fuel economy but not more performance.

They could base it off the better looking turbo version

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_124_Spider_(2016)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Sadly, Slow Is Fast like the MX-5 and BRZ are almost certainly going to be a thing of the past with EV's unless battery tech evolves to something a lot lighter or you accept they are range limited / cost an ungodly amount of money with exotic construction materials. I can only really seeing such smaller and lighter cheap sports cars surviving with alternate ICE fuels as new OEM

As a home conversion, you would have to choose at some point to accept limitations for what you want your outcome to be. Remains chuckable and fun? Accept less battery. More range? Less fun but more practical. A single motor Tesla swap with say 35Kw of battery and say just pulling a fairly resonable number out of my rear end for power gains, you end up with a car a touch heavier but up 100Kw and a whooooooooooooole lotta more torque? That'll catch your attention on a track day.

Hmmm that's kinda they thing I guess we forget when we think of a OEM EV MX-5, there's potential to be a lot more powerful to overcome the weight increase. 118kW/200Nm from the current ND? That can be easily bettered / doubled with a electric motor. Gaining 200kgs but doubling the power might work for a theoretical Mazda EV sports car?

edit : I dont know, I'm just thinking outloud and nothing like this might happen at all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, the Model 3 Performance is very chuckable despite the weight. You can hide a lot of weight with sufficient power. It's not a track weapon straight off the showroom floor, but then neither is the MX-5. Convertibles/roadsters also seem to have gone out of fashion, so it's reasonable to assume there won't be much push for an EV in this body form coming soon, neither will any factory EV deliver a full day at the track with similar performance to a current day enthusiast's modded MX-5, which is really up there with touring cars from not many decades ago.

But if we lower the bar to "daily driver which is also hilarious in the canyons", I think it wouldn't take much. I'm even enjoying the Skoda Citigo-E on twisty roads because it has some punch out of the corner and feels more balanced than a similar type gas version which is front heavy. There's been some talk of the Cupra being a "hot hatch", but I think that's too big. Somewhere between the Citigo-E and the Honda e is a potential for something "slow is fast" or "small and fun". But again, perhaps not by the modern track day enthusiast standards which can be very high.

So I think small and fun or big and fast. Either of these practices should reduce your need to be a whiney bitch.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well that's pretty rad.
https://i.imgur.com/IdCiiKH.gifv

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
What is the “one pedal mode” exactly on an EV?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

kitten emergency posted:

It starts to regen as soon as you let up on the pedal. Basically it treats the various positions on the pedal as indicating to the computer "go to this speed" rather than "have the engine put out this amount of power". So as you let up the pedal you're indicating you want to be a slower and slower speed so it activates regen to get there. If you let up entirely on the pedal you're indicating you want to stop, so it regens to a stop.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Nitrousoxide posted:

It starts to regen as soon as you let up on the pedal. Basically it treats the various positions on the pedal as indicating to the computer "go to this speed" rather than "have the engine put out this amount of power". So as you let up the pedal you're indicating you want to be a slower and slower speed so it activates regen to get there. If you let up entirely on the pedal you're indicating you want to stop, so it regens to a stop.

Oh, interesting. So braking in two pedal would get you regen on the brakes, but letting off the accelerator would just coast?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

kitten emergency posted:

Oh, interesting. So braking in two pedal would get you regen on the brakes, but letting off the accelerator would just coast?

More or less, some cars have regen mode with two pedal driving that's sort of a "mixed one-pedal" where when you let off the accelerator it activates regen, while still requiring the brake pedal to be pressed to come to a stop. They usually let you adjust the strength of the regen, up to going full coast mode though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Drove my Dad's Kona EV over the weekend. A lot of the minuses are probably related to it being a Kona. Pretty optimistic about the next gen of Hyundai/Kia EVs.

Plusses:
- Decent acceleration, especially below 30 mph
- cooled seats
- active cruise control works well
- handling is decent
- charging in local parking garage was relatively cheap and easy, even in downtown Boston. I think roughly $3 for about 20 kW at a 7kW/h rate
- HUD is decent and shows blind spot info, speed limit, turn by turn, etc

EV specific minuses:
- bad acceleration above 45 mph. Part of this is my own adaptation to the power delivery - the ICE cars will accelerate faster higher in the powerband of the engine, this is not true of an EV where acceleration diminishes incrementally as you go faster, which is a sensation I do not care for.
- makes the most god awful artificial noise below 20mph, this was seriously a dealbreaker and I would be messing around to code this out ASAP
- I couldn't find a regen setting that I really liked as a manual transmission ICE car driver. 2 was a little too strong and 1 was a little too light. I miss the hand paddle regen on the Volt. I don't care for one pedal driving at this point.

Kona minuses:
- cheap interior. it's a cheap car but the interior was not good. packaging seemed mediocre and the materials were low quality. Fine on a 20k car, not so good on a 35k+ car.
- sight lines, loving thing is like sitting in a bath tub
- steering is weird on center and pretty numb
- crashy ride, bad suspension tuning and a short wheelbase.
- couldn't get the HUD to adjust to where I really wanted in my field of vision

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Well that's pretty rad.

wow, yeah.

I wonder how many weeks you can boil water on that induction stove before the battery's depleted.

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 28, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Let's do the simple one first:

kitten emergency posted:

It varies between manufacturers but it's basically a way to mix in friction brakes so you don't need to use the brake pedal while driving. The car can regen from high speed, but as the speed approaches zero or the battery is full, you need friction brakes to come to a full stop, hill hold etc. How much to regen and when to mix in brakes deterrmines the feel and usability, some are really good, some are a bit annoying.

All EVs (that count as proper cars and aren't airplane tugs or whatever) have regen when letting off the accelerator, even if they don't have a one-pedal mode.

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is an interesting interpretation, but not correct. If it was, it would add power to maintain speed when you hit an uphill with constant pedal, but it slows down like normal. Then you trundle slowly up the hill, crest it, and then roll down the other side faster and faster. It is a power pedal, not a speed pedal. Yes, a modern motor controller makes sure it behaves like this way or that, power isn't exceeded etc. But the basic principle is that if you excite the motors windings a little bit, the motor will spin at a certain speed and current will flow in a certain direction. If you then apply an external torque to the motor and make it spin faster, now the motors windings are still excited in the same way but current is flowing in the other direction.

In a way it behaves much like a gasoline engine, only that gasoline doesn't flow backwards. If you're going down a steep hill and you've only cracked the throttle open, you can still be effectively engine braking.

In practice there is a lot of computer control going on which complicates the principle. The AC from the motor needs to be converted to DC for the battery, the car might be going very fast so regen power has to be limited, there is a certain user experience that has to be just right, the battery might be cold or at a high charge, etc etc.

Deep dive here: https://chargedevs.com/features/regenerative-braking-a-closer-look-at-the-methods-and-limits-of-regen/

stevewm
May 10, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Drove my Dad's Kona EV over the weekend. A lot of the minuses are probably related to it being a Kona. Pretty optimistic about the next gen of Hyundai/Kia EVs.

- makes the most god awful artificial noise below 20mph, this was seriously a dealbreaker and I would be messing around to code this out ASAP

Most vehicles with the speaker... you can just unplug it.

If it throws a code, a 4-16ohm resistor in place of the speaker will usually make it think there is a speaker plugged in.

On my Volt I can just pull a fuse to disable it. But the Volt's noise is so low you can barely hear it anyways, it is kinda useless.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That's good to know. It's my dad's car so I'm not loving around with it but I would absolutely get rid of it ASAP.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
My on plug in Pacifica, the vehicle makes kind of a high pitch whine when driving on battery power. Is that an artificial sound as described here, or an actual product of the vehicle running?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

My on plug in Pacifica, the vehicle makes kind of a high pitch whine when driving on battery power. Is that an artificial sound as described here, or an actual product of the vehicle running?

At low speeds they are required to produce an audible sound so that animals and visually impaired can be aware of the presence of the car.

Technically in the US it's not required to be on, but the automaker is required to provide the option, defaulted to on. It just has to be a sufficiently audible sound, so some cars, like a Tesla, let you change the sound. They sometimes don't let the user change it, or make it difficult to change, since they obviously don't want to open themselves up to liability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQTBFAgNGR0&t=132s

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

ID Buzz production prototype spotted:

https://www.motor1.com/news/516718/volkswagen-id-buzz-production-spy-photos/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Some car, I think it is new Prius, makes this sound like a chorus of heavenly angels or something and it’s really weird.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The new Toyota one is obnoxiously loud and I can hear it from across a school campus. The Ford one is relatively subdued and spaceship sounding.

Ola posted:

Yeah, the Model 3 Performance is very chuckable despite the weight. You can hide a lot of weight with sufficient power. It's not a track weapon straight off the showroom floor, but then neither is the MX-5. Convertibles/roadsters also seem to have gone out of fashion, so it's reasonable to assume there won't be much push for an EV in this body form coming soon, neither will any factory EV deliver a full day at the track with similar performance to a current day enthusiast's modded MX-5, which is really up there with touring cars from not many decades ago.

But if we lower the bar to "daily driver which is also hilarious in the canyons", I think it wouldn't take much. I'm even enjoying the Skoda Citigo-E on twisty roads because it has some punch out of the corner and feels more balanced than a similar type gas version which is front heavy. There's been some talk of the Cupra being a "hot hatch", but I think that's too big. Somewhere between the Citigo-E and the Honda e is a potential for something "slow is fast" or "small and fun". But again, perhaps not by the modern track day enthusiast standards which can be very high.

So I think small and fun or big and fast. Either of these practices should reduce your need to be a whiney bitch.

Hell, even my Escape hybrid feels way torquey than our other crossover

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'll have to see how my car feels when I finally get rid of the LRR tires. So far it doesn't have much body roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

So is there a comparison for the overall emissions for EV's compared to other transit methods like planes, trains, busses, etc? Obviously they are better than ICE vehicles, but when you are dealing with single occupancy vehicles versus mass transit splitting those emissions out dozens of ways versus the emissions needed to generate the electricity for one person's car may make that a more difficult comparison.