Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pathfinder also has a large area that is literally just “Thundarr the Barbarian basically”. Barbarians with laser swords and technomancers.

Does it have Ookla the Mok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Schwarzwald posted:

Does it have Ookla the Mok?

Tragically no :negative:

Lots of evil wizards who use technology to punch tho.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mister Olympus posted:

They called the “permanently the french revolution” country Galt, that’s the quality of setting you get in pathfinder

Yeah it's loving great

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is Galt in some sort of lowland area?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Olympus posted:

They called the “permanently the french revolution” country Galt, that’s the quality of setting you get in pathfinder

for years people have asked me, who is john pathfinder

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

lts also been a century+ of time since the party disbanded. People change. Soon may have been the impulsive Lawful Stupid type and mellowed out and gained some wisdom after generations as a guardian spirit. Serini may have started out bright eyed and optimistic but the permanent soul death of her friend and her time since would have jaded her.

We havent seen what dorukan and girard were like in the present so I cant say for sure but I think its safe to say that they had chatacter growth as part of their quest and since.

While I wouldn't doubt hanging around Celestia would temper even the most rigid paladin's justice with mercy, there's something to be said for treating someone you feel sympathy after they fell short of your ideals differently from someone who you've spent years with and who has done nothing but mock and flout your ideals. Being kind to the former doesn't mean you have to have much patience for the latter.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Capfalcon posted:

While I wouldn't doubt hanging around Celestia would temper even the most rigid paladin's justice with mercy, there's something to be said for treating someone you feel sympathy after they fell short of your ideals differently from someone who you've spent years with and who has done nothing but mock and flout your ideals. Being kind to the former doesn't mean you have to have much patience for the latter.

Eh, one of the viewpoints of Soon came from a guy who was convinced that he was a hypocritical tyrant who wanted control of all of the gates. Yet we saw him and the order he created uphold his oath in the most restrictive interpretation possible, keeping not only to the letter, but also the spirit of the agreement, even though the world might have benefitted from a looser interpretation.

I'm not buying the notion that Soon was significantly different in the afterlife compared to who he was while alive.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New strip - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots.html

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Oh dear. :ohdear:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hey, I remember Sunny.

Does this count as the character that has only ever been in one other strip?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The only raw evidence we have of soon being a dick was "cast it now" v "not until you're both clear"

Literally everything else is direct description by other characters.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hey, I remember Sunny.

That's a good catch, might be!

Did Beholders get added to the SRD or...?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hey, I remember Sunny.

Odds are good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This is actually quite similar to how I theorycrafted how a non-epic 20th level Wizard could with preparation go up against Elminster; albeit a level below what I decided on.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hey, I remember Sunny.

This is amazing.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Same eye color and everything. Nice!

Sunny and the MOTD are gonna be such good friends and do so much learning and confused awakening, when they cross paths. :)

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hey, I remember Sunny.

haha holy poo poo no way

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hey, I remember Sunny.

Oh my god, if this is it... :allears:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ikanreed posted:

The only raw evidence we have of soon being a dick was "cast it now" v "not until you're both clear"

Literally everything else is direct description by other characters.

Even in that instance, it seems like he was doing a self-sacrifice that went wrong, possibly killing his teammate and surviving himself jolted him. Dont know if a side book has gone into it but it seems possible that even if he was a dick to the others he might have mellowed out after that happened

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

It's been a while, what's the thing about a character that's only appeared in one panel prior to now?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hey, I remember Sunny.

Seriously did no one guess this? :doh:

What a great callback.

ArchRanger posted:

It's been a while, what's the thing about a character that's only appeared in one panel prior to now?

At the end of the previous book (or thereabouts) Rich said that a character who only appeared in one panel would be important to the plot in the final book.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ArchRanger posted:

In one of the book's commentary pages, Rich said that there would be a character that plays a role in this story that had only appeared once in other books. It's been kind of a running gag for years to try and guess who that character was. The Beholder definitely fits the bill, as far as I can tell.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SKULL.GIF posted:

Seriously did no one guess this? :doh:

I braved the OOTS forums to see, and it indeed looks like one person did. They weren't very confident, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I can't believe you racists think all beholders look the same. They don't all know each other, either.

And don't use "eye tyrant". That's offensive.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Joking aside I wonder if there's some metacommentary going on here that virtually nobody guessed that a monster would be the returning character (because we don't consider monsters to be characters, whereas Serini has an explicit history of treating monsters well).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Now THAT is an excellent callback. What do we think Mimi is, that they can shapeshift and turn into what looks like a wall?

e: Would make sense if Mimi was a Mimic.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 28, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Now THAT is an excellent callback. What do we think Mimi is, that they can shapeshift and turn into what looks like a wall?

Looks like an earth elemental.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

habeasdorkus posted:

e: Would make sense if Mimi was a Mimic.

Rich called them a mimic on twitter based on the fact that mimics can change into other things than just a treasure chest.

That, and an earth elemental would be stone :P

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I sure hope that Elan remembers he specifically took Neutralize Poison.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Joking aside I wonder if there's some metacommentary going on here that virtually nobody guessed that a monster would be the returning character (because we don't consider monsters to be characters, whereas Serini has an explicit history of treating monsters well).
Huh!

...huh.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I sure hope that Elan remembers he specifically took Neutralize Poison.

Not that he can cast it inside the anti-magic cone that Sunny is likely using.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

2 strips in 4 days? is Rich okay?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

2 strips in 4 days? is Rich okay?
Going by usual trends, Rich starts slamming out a bunch of strips in a row when he's impatient to get to a cool setpiece. That could be this page, or there could still be more to come.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So... They're a bit over leveled for a beholder, but considering that save DCs are plot based, someone is turning to stone for a while.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

They're not over leveled for Serini.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Lol, Mimi the mimic and a yellowy sphere monster (with beams) called Sunny.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ultrafilter posted:

They're not over leveled for Serini.

I know, just what the beholder's effect is gonna be, since it brings so many different effects to bear.

Hold person: powerful and effective, but not especially dramatic
Charm: we just got a charm
Slow: belkar will get hit just because he will hate it and it'll be funny
Fear: good for a one liner too
Sleep: callback to "elf" "oh right"
Telekinesis: good for an "oof" panel
Moderate wounds: boring, just damage, will happen, won't matter
Disintegrate, finger of death: very dramatic, only belkar is on the table for those
Flesh to stone: very dramatic, not too permanent, someone will get hit by it

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think there's something about Beholders and some limitation on the Anti-Magic cone that I vaguely recall from fighting a whole room of them but I don't quite remember what. Albeit this was in 5e.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think there's something about Beholders and some limitation on the Anti-Magic cone that I vaguely recall from fighting a whole room of them but I don't quite remember what. Albeit this was in 5e.

In 3e, the primary restriction is that the anti-magic cone affects the Beholder as well. Since nearly all of the beholder's attacks are magical in nature, unless it wants to gnaw you to death (+2 to hit, 2d4 damage, a beholder's bite attack is much less scary than a goblin with a spear) it's going to have to turn the magic back on during much of the fight.

A high level rogue with a variety of ranged poison attacks on top of a beholder is a very dangerous foe.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Not knowing much about D&D besides what permeated through general nerd culture and this comic, how dangerous would this trap be to Xykon? Can a beholder shut down an epic lich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nimby posted:

Not knowing much about D&D besides what permeated through general nerd culture and this comic, how dangerous would this trap be to Xykon? Can a beholder shut down an epic lich?

Epic magic can punch through an anti-magic field (as seen with V during the Soul-Splice arc) which is probably why Serini has been observing Team Evil instead of luring them in with a trap like she did with the Order.