Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Booley posted:

Anyone have recommendations for stores that sell good drawer pulls other than restoration hardware / rejuvenation?

We have a local store that carries like, everything. They have a website but not a webstore :(

https://guldedge.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Booley posted:

Anyone have recommendations for stores that sell good drawer pulls other than restoration hardware / rejuvenation?

https://www.rockler.com/ would probably be my go-to or probably https://www.build.com/cabinet-hardware/c108547

If you're looking for period pieces, I've had good luck with https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 15, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So, getting ready to move into a new place finally, and getting rid of my ikea couch because it has not at all held up well.

Any suggestions on places to shop for decent quality furniture? Figure I'm going to need the usual front room setup, couch/chair or loveseat/pair of end tables/coffee table and I prefer arts and crafts style, no thanks on midcentury modern.

I'm tempted to go with a more local place that builds to order, but that's going to be quite exspensive although I'll probably have it until I'm dead.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Liquid Communism posted:

So, getting ready to move into a new place finally, and getting rid of my ikea couch because it has not at all held up well.

Any suggestions on places to shop for decent quality furniture? Figure I'm going to need the usual front room setup, couch/chair or loveseat/pair of end tables/coffee table and I prefer arts and crafts style, no thanks on midcentury modern.

I'm tempted to go with a more local place that builds to order, but that's going to be quite exspensive although I'll probably have it until I'm dead.

I bought a Briar Gray fabric Article Sven 3 seater sofa and it has been great. Can't comment on wear since I just got it, but the fabric is tough. It's not the softest because it's a durable seeming kind of tweed, but it looks nice and feels pretty good. Would recommend for the price, which was $1100.

https://www.article.com/product/3250/sven-briar-gray-sofa

The positive experience has me eyeing a lot of other crap from Article, but it's not super affordable and I don't have much extra cash. It all looks nice though.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Liquid Communism posted:

There was some couch chat a while ago in the home zone thread around here-ish:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=255

Antiques are also a good value atm IMO, and there's tons of craftsman/stickley/eastlake stuff floating around. Stickley is kind of collectible and might be a little higher? They are actually still around and I believe still makes everything domestically, thought it's probably also fairly expensive: https://www.stickley.com/

My parents' had some simple arts and crafts stuff from LL Bean of all places, but it doesn't look like they sell it anymore. Worth pricing the local custom stuff at least. Craftsman /arts and crafts is relatively simple to build so it may not be as bad as you think.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Thanks!

My biggest durability issue is that I'm an ogre, and while my Ikea stuff is long enough, it's not built for 350lbs.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Anyone have any suggestions for my front entry?

I thought the 2 small chairs and an armchair setup would work better than it does. I haven't bought a coffee table or side tables because I'm having second thoughts on my plan.

The credenza on the back wall is the only piece of furniture I'm set on keeping. The rest can be replaced if required.

Here's a link to the room in Roomstyler if you want to play around

https://roomstyler.com/3dplanner?room_url=https://roomstyler.com/3dplanner/rooms/45242230/45242241

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
What things do you want to happen in the front room? Is it a take off your coat and walk through kinda place or a chill reading zone or what?

Edit: I think the main issue with the current set up is that there's not an easy entry point to the interior, so it looks uninviting. Creating an obvious pathway will help a lot.

Hutla fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 18, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think your rug is too small for the furniture you are trying to place on it. I have a 6x9 rug also and a 26x26" ottoman would take up a lot of space.

My first thought is that unlike my space, your room is wide enough where you could probably rotate the rug. Then I would move the book case and put the chair in the corner. This is a natural place for a lounge chair to go - you have natural light from the window, and presumably an outlet in the corner for a reading lamp, etc.

This would also give you enough room for a small coffee table if you wanted.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Hutla posted:

What things do you want to happen in the front room? Is it a take off your coat and walk through kinda place or a chill reading zone or what?

Edit: I think the main issue with the current set up is that there's not an easy entry point to the interior, so it looks uninviting. Creating an obvious pathway will help a lot.

I think the room is too big to just be a take your coat off and walk through room.

I'll try to create a pathway, it's sorta hard to know when to create a pathway and when to section off the space.

actionjackson posted:

I think your rug is too small for the furniture you are trying to place on it. I have a 6x9 rug also and a 26x26" ottoman would take up a lot of space.

My first thought is that unlike my space, your room is wide enough where you could probably rotate the rug. Then I would move the book case and put the chair in the corner. This is a natural place for a lounge chair to go - you have natural light from the window, and presumably an outlet in the corner for a reading lamp, etc.

This would also give you enough room for a small coffee table if you wanted.

I think you're right about the rug. And I'll try rotating it like you suggested.

I'm also wondering if replacing the two small chairs with a loveseat would help

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yes a loveseat or couch is a better option than the two chairs if possible.

You also don't have to keep the ottoman in front of the black chair when not in use.

here's something with an 8x10 rug and an 86" sofa and a coffee table

I just chose some random pieces that look like poo poo, just trying to show proportions here though.

You could get a narrower coffee table, or move the rug down a bit so that you can move in the ottoman when needed.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 19, 2021

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Oh man, I had so much fun with that roomstyler site.

Okay!

Here is my main living area(s):

It's a very open floor plan (It's also very grey and very white).

So, that is how I have the living room set up right now. When you come in the front door, a little "entry way" on the right with some coat hooks, a bench and a cabinet so I can store my shoes, etc. To the left is the actual living room space. It's pretty small.

On that far wall are currently a skinny bookcase, TV stand and a tripod lamp:

I have ordered a wider bookcase to replace the current one (and a new rug). What I am wondering, though, is if it is feasible to cram a chair into the area to the right of the TV? (The sectional starts to get a bit cramped after the 3rd person, unless it's two couples. Usually end up grabbing a dining room chair.) Obviously I'd have to get a different lamp, which would be fine. Just wondering if it would look too cramped.

For context: The small wall next to the fridge measures 30". The space between that wall and the TV stand is 37". I plan to eventually wall-mount the TV, if that matters.

spinst fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 21, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

move the dining table to the left in the first image, it looks like a giant door runs into it??

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

actionjackson posted:

move the dining table to the left in the first image, it looks like a giant door runs into it??

That's the sliding glass door to my patio. There wasn't an option to have sliding glass doors in the program that I could see. The one labeled "sliding glass door" has the opening hinge which doesn't make sense.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

spinst posted:

That's the sliding glass door to my patio. There wasn't an option to have sliding glass doors in the program that I could see. The one labeled "sliding glass door" has the opening hinge which doesn't make sense.

okay. otherwise I think it looks pretty good. a table lamp might be helpful on the smaller table that's on the rug, if you want to sit on the sectional and have focused light. Or a floor lamp or wall sconce in that corner that extends.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

actionjackson posted:

okay. otherwise I think it looks pretty good. a table lamp might be helpful on the smaller table that's on the rug, if you want to sit on the sectional and have focused light. Or a floor lamp or wall sconce in that corner that extends.

There's a table lamp on the console in the "entry way." And that's a basket full of blankets.

I'm asking about whether or not I should stick a chair where the tripod lamp currently is or if it will make that area look too crowded.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

spinst posted:

I'm asking about whether or not I should stick a chair where the tripod lamp currently is or if it will make that area look too crowded.

the corner is too small for that. I wouldn't add any other furniture onto or around the rug because you will always be blocking something off. If you need a chair in that area for someone, I would just move one from the dining table, and then move back as needed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

spinst posted:

There's a table lamp on the console in the "entry way." And that's a basket full of blankets.

Open floor plans are impossible to decorate, lol. You might kind of have space for a chair there, but I think from the kitchen it would feel like it is was in the walkway and sitting in that chair would feel like you’re stuck behind the TV and sitting in the hall. I think it could work for occasion pull-out seating if it were a small side chair that lived against the wall the TV is on, but definitely nothing big and upholstered. Find a cool Biedermeier antique or something-it’s mostly gonna sit there and get looked at so find a pretty one. It doesn’t have to be super comfortable because nobody is gonna sit in it for long. If you have an extra of your dining chairs that would be fine. It will look better if it lives against the wall with the TV rather than diagonal in the corner.

E: ^^pulling a chair from the dining area accomplishes your goals and you already have the chair.^^^ maybe swap the tripod lamp and bookcase? Lamp looks kind of stranded over there lighting an empty corner. If it were where the bookcase is it could help light the sectional and wouldn’t be making glare while you watch TV. The bookcase might give that awkward corner with the fridge wall some purpose. If it fits, try it against the fridge wall not the TV wall and I think it’ll give that wall a purpose beyond ‘I exist to hide the side of the refrigerator’. It would probably even still leave room for a chair or An Art or A Plant between the bookcase and TV if you needed it

More thoughts than you asked for so feel free to ignore, obviously:
I don’t have a great sense of scale from your drawing so this may not be practical in the space, but you could maybe you could put a console table/butcher block/bar cart kind of thing on at the end of the cabinets across from the fridge (I guess that’s the stove?) and put a chair next to that that would face the tv? I kind of doubt there is enough space there.

A skinny sofa table with a lamp on it behind the sectional right when you walk in the door might be nice too if it fits. Good light for reading on the sectional, and lamplight is always better than overhead.

I like your current rug as a rug on its own, but with your grey floors a more colorful one might be nice. There are tons of Turkish Kilims out there for fairly cheap in very similar patterns (and I like the current sort of pattern) but with more color.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 21, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It's tough to say in regards to that floor lamp without knowing the other lighting. I don't think it feels too stranded because it's pretty close to the tv. If having it there helps reduce the contrast from the tv being on at night, I think it can be useful.

Are you going to keep the walls the same paint color?

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Once the new bookcase arrives I'll take some more pictures!

I could swap the bookcase and tripod lamp. I honestly don't use the lamp a ton, my house has a lot of natural lighting. Sliding glass doors in the dining room, and a 7'9" x 4'9" big rear end window in the living room.

Walls are cream for the foreseeable future. I'd like to eventually do new floors, followed by paint. Have a few other priorities first, though.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

today in "they used terrible materials in framing for like 90 years"

It's a print from a belgian artist named Louise Danse, probably 1910s - 1930s, of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etruscan_Arch

After I get the mat off, look at that sun tan!

Poor paper looks like it was dyed around the edges

Definitely keeping the backing because it has a sweet tag and important inscriptions, but if/when I frame it again, the paper needs to be completely enclosed with non-acidic materials

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.

spinst posted:

Look up accent chairs. They tend to be smallish, but still more comfortable than your average dining chair. They're also light and easy to move around. Something like this might fight well with your decor: https://mybox247.com/products/accent-granite-home-chair-barrel-steffen-best-swivel-furnishings

Note: I know absolutely nothing about that website or their reliability, but we have a Best Furniture accent chair in a completely different style, and it's held up well over the last eight years or so.

I don't know whether it will fit in that corner without being crowded, but maybe it could go at the head of your table or two of them could replace your bench, or maybe it could live in your bedroom till you need it.

edit: lol, "fight well with your decor." It'll probably fit well, too.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I think, for now, I'm leaning against getting a chair.

Mostly because I'm adjusting to my new giant bookcase that arrived today! New living room rug is still on the way. So, placement:

Option 1:

Option 2:

For context, opposite view:

I think I like Option 2 better, only because the giant bookcase right next to the giant fridge is a lot to take in. I decided to move my basket of blankets next to the lamp so it looks less lonely. Small house is small.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think whichever one is better for your lighting needs when it's dark out you should pick, which I'm guessing will be the one with the floor lamp in the corner

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Blinds.com is the cellular shade place, but what model of shades are good or should be avoided there? Any more detailed recommendations?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mutata posted:

Blinds.com is the cellular shade place, but what model of shades are good or should be avoided there? Any more detailed recommendations?

I've had Hunter Douglas Duette cellular shades for ten years and they've been great, every so often they need to be repaired, but the total I've spent on that is no more than like 2-300 bucks

https://www.hunterdouglas.com/window-treatments/cellular-honeycomb-shades/duette

doesn't look like they are sold at that site, but I would absolutely go to an HD authorized dealer and take a look

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Will the bookcase fit turned 90 degrees in option 1 so the back of the bookcase is against the fridge wall? That might give the TV/cabinet more space, but since it looks like you use the bookcase more for pictures/display, that may not be as practical as if it were full of books. Otherwise I think either options looks okay.

Is that line on the ceiling for track lighting or just decorative?

spinst posted:

For context, opposite view:

I think I like Option 2 better, only because the giant bookcase right next to the giant fridge is a lot to take in. I decided to move my basket of blankets next to the lamp so it looks less lonely. Small house is small.
From this picture alone, I'd suggest swapping the bench and mirror/cabinet so the mirror is more centered on the wall (if the door wouldn't hit the cabinet) but I'm sure in real life that makes no sense. I doubt you spend much time standing in front of the TV getting exactly this view! IDK what all else is going on in the space, but it's something you might try out for a day and see how you like it, and it would make that bench easy to pull up next to the sofa for extra seating if needed. I personally like having wherever my keys live (which would be in a bowl on that table) right next to the door so they can go straight from the lock to the bowl and never get lost.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would agree that the positioning of objects on the wall (the mirror and coat rack) is a bit strange. At the very least I would move the two items closer together.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Will the bookcase fit turned 90 degrees in option 1 so the back of the bookcase is against the fridge wall? That might give the TV/cabinet more space, but since it looks like you use the bookcase more for pictures/display, that may not be as practical as if it were full of books. Otherwise I think either options looks okay.

Is that line on the ceiling for track lighting or just decorative?

From this picture alone, I'd suggest swapping the bench and mirror/cabinet so the mirror is more centered on the wall (if the door wouldn't hit the cabinet) but I'm sure in real life that makes no sense. I doubt you spend much time standing in front of the TV getting exactly this view! IDK what all else is going on in the space, but it's something you might try out for a day and see how you like it, and it would make that bench easy to pull up next to the sofa for extra seating if needed. I personally like having wherever my keys live (which would be in a bowl on that table) right next to the door so they can go straight from the lock to the bowl and never get lost.

Border around the ceiling is decorative, looks pretty cool except in one area where they took down a wall and left a weird giant piece that looks stupid. Did I mention my house is a flip? :toot: Oh, and my furnace vents are up there, but I don't think that has anything to do with the border?

Bookcase is too wide to go against the refrigerator wall! I'll dig books out of the closet to add on there soon, just threw some random stuff on for the photos.

My keys do, in fact, go in a bowl on that cabinet. I'm not sure how they would get lost in the additional step it takes to get there from the bench, lol.

The bench is closer to the door so I can track dirt and mud through slightly less of the house before sitting down and taking off my shoes. And the coat rack is offset because I don't want to lean against a bunch of coats when I am sitting on the bench.

I agree the cabinet may look better centered though. :cheers: I remember trying it out and deciding against it, but I cannot remember why! I think it was the order I referenced above. First, get shoes from cabinet, sit on bench and put them on, and then go out the door. Seemed logical.

spinst fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 26, 2021

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

mutata posted:

Don't get cordless blinds!

I got 2" wooden cordless blinds (except for my one window which is too big), and they're kind of a pain in the rear end. They don't like to stay up as well as corded blinds.

I regret them. The blinds themselves are nice, though. And my one corded one is great.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

mutata posted:

We just bought a house and are in the process of replacing all of the blinds. We have a mixture of Select Blinds cellular blinds in most rooms, some cellular blinds from Wayfair in an office, and one Hunter Douglas top down bottom up style for a larger bedroom window. Had never heard of that style before but previous owners left one that was nice but in a hideous color. It’s so nice for glancing at treetops outside while still having privacy. Bedroom window is large and has a nice view so we decided to splurge more on that window.

Select Blinds offers one free remake per order if you measure wrong, which has come in handy. Each piece was less than $150 and shipped quickly. In contrast, I paid $1300 for one large blind from Hunter Douglas. It took ages to arrive and is a little short based on their measurements but they won’t do poo poo to remake it. It’s manageable because we use the top down feature almost exclusively but customer service has sucked and I’m pissed we spent so much for something that’s not quite right. Wayfair blind is nice and I think was only $30.

Definitely consider light filtering levels. I love letting lots of natural light in so went with white or cream cellular blinds. It’s beautiful midday but sure sucks at sunrise when I haven’t slept well the night before.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

spinst posted:

Don't get cordless blinds!

I got 2" wooden cordless blinds (except for my one window which is too big), and they're kind of a pain in the rear end. They don't like to stay up as well as corded blinds.

I regret them. The blinds themselves are nice, though. And my one corded one is great.

Could not disagree any more. We are slowly replacing all of our blinds with cordless.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

all I can say is Hunter Douglas is expensive, but worth it. I adjust each three times a day - I'm on the first floor so I have the ones that open on bottom and top, which is basically an absolute requirement for privacy purposes. I expose the bottom in the morning, top at night, and then close before bed. Cheap blinds are not going to last ten years when you are doing that ~1000 times a year. The "repair" part is just because the little string that is knotted can sometimes fall in the hole and it's difficult to get out. But it's easy to find someone with a phd or whatever the gently caress from HD to come to your house and fix them.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

The Dave posted:

Could not disagree any more. We are slowly replacing all of our blinds with cordless.

Glad they are working for you! I'm only really having problems with one window, and it is a fairly large window. I wonder if the blinds are just slightly too heavy or something.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

actionjackson posted:

all I can say is Hunter Douglas is expensive, but worth it. I adjust each three times a day - I'm on the first floor so I have the ones that open on bottom and top, which is basically an absolute requirement for privacy purposes. I expose the bottom in the morning, top at night, and then close before bed. Cheap blinds are not going to last ten years when you are doing that ~1000 times a year. The "repair" part is just because the little string that is knotted can sometimes fall in the hole and it's difficult to get out. But it's easy to find someone with a phd or whatever the gently caress from HD to come to your house and fix them.

I appreciate this line of thinking, and I don't disagree, but it's gonna be cheap shades or no shades at all. I'm not going to adjust them 3 times a day. I have kids who are going to spill orange juice on them in a couple weeks. I'm not really looking for 10 year shades, heh.

I just need a middle ground between the plastic blinds from Home Depot that snap in a week and the 10-year option you mentioned.

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 26, 2021

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Only worth it if they actually make the product the right size and are willing to correct their mistakes if not. Hasn’t been my experience, but glad yours has been different. I feel like at that price point of $1k+ for one single blind, it’s not a gamble I’d recommend based on my own experience given customer service and refusal to remake at the correct length.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

I appreciate this line of thinking, and I don't disagree, but it's gonna be cheap shades or no shades at all. I'm not going to adjust them 3 times a day. I have kids who are going to spill orange juice on them in a couple weeks. I'm not really looking for 10 year shades, heh.

I just need a middle ground between the plastic blinds from Home Depot that snap in a week and the 10-year option you mentioned.

I have stuff from selectblinds.com that looks just fine.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Can anyone recommend a good floating nightstand? Specifically, I'm looking for something with some cable management built-in. This would be perfect: https://www.prepacmfg.com/product/hanging-nightstand-drawer but it's out of stock everywhere (Canadian mfr, so presumably COVID issue). I can't find a single other option with pre-cut holes for cables. Trying to avoid buying a drill bit to cut them myself, but it might come to that.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

spinst posted:

Glad they are working for you! I'm only really having problems with one window, and it is a fairly large window. I wonder if the blinds are just slightly too heavy or something.

did you remove the extra slats at the bottom? because the PO of my house didn't know you have to do that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sim posted:

Can anyone recommend a good floating nightstand? Specifically, I'm looking for something with some cable management built-in. This would be perfect: https://www.prepacmfg.com/product/hanging-nightstand-drawer but it's out of stock everywhere (Canadian mfr, so presumably COVID issue). I can't find a single other option with pre-cut holes for cables. Trying to avoid buying a drill bit to cut them myself, but it might come to that.

The only floating nightstand I've seen (at least for modern stuff) is this one

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/nightstands/linear-wall-mounted-nightstands

They probably aren't that popular because if you ever want to adjust the bed position at all, you need to reattach them somewhere else.