Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

All I remember about them was that Ken Loach was involved & I think peaked at 2,000 members

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

They were so close. If only it wasn't for that owen Jones looney

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I'm still hoping Zarah Sultana gets a shot at the leadership. If there's another leadership election and the right win again I might just cancel my direct debit finally. I'm going to need that £5 a month come August for the Games Workshop app anyway ...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My employer is still reporting low numbers with Covid, and single digit numbers requiring enhanced care.
It's not over, but it's not looking grim at the moment.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Julio Cruz posted:

so Keith's new idea is just to go on a country-wide pub crawl?

he really is an alcoholic isn't he

He just wants to avoid being at home.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

SpaceCommie posted:

I'm still hoping Zarah Sultana gets a shot at the leadership. If there's another leadership election and the right win again I might just cancel my direct debit finally. I'm going to need that £5 a month come August for the Games Workshop app anyway ...

My condolences

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kingturnip posted:

What that senior aide is basically admitting is:
"Labour members hate him, Labour MPs hate him, and the Unions hate him".
but he is very electable and the members, MPs, and unions are all therefore wrong and stupid

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao I forgot just how stupid that debate got.

"Masturbation fantasies aren't divorced from the real world because what if you were masturbating while thinking about the Holocaust, what then huh?" :psyduck:

I wonder how many of those people are now terfs.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

I tried really hard not to fall back into a plastic crack addiction but I've had naff all else to do during lockdown.

I make terrible descisions, as my continued membership to Labour can attest.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1409524951019929606

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Labour is in the dump phase, might get a dead cat bounce.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SpaceCommie posted:

She's ace but has only been an MP since 2019.

In an ideal world she'd be the next leader but one. I'd settle for Clive Lewis in the short-term.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1409531057423192074

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

SpaceCommie posted:

I tried really hard not to fall back into a plastic crack addiction but I've had naff all else to do during lockdown.

I make terrible descisions, as my continued membership to Labour can attest.

Lockdown has made hams of us all friend

But I still wouldn't pay a sub for any kind of app made by games workshop

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TBH I'd trust a crypto scammer to do better marketing than Stephen Ho(e)dges.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

Nurgle seems a very fitting god for the last year

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

TBH I'd trust a crypto scammer to do better marketing than Stephen Ho(e)dges.
LabCoin: no it's actually work because...

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Those are some very pretty paint jobs!

I'm hoping I'll resist tbh, because there's literally nothing I want from it but the exclusive models. That is still far more than I get from my Labour membership though ...

sebzilla posted:

She's ace but has only been an MP since 2019.

In an ideal world she'd be the next leader but one. I'd settle for Clive Lewis in the short-term.

Yeah, but she's about the only left wing member of the party I've seen centrists say good things about.

Lewis seems generally a decent sort, though he's been a lot quieter following the 2017 conference video event.

I mean we're going to somehow get Blair again thought so it's all a thought exercise I guess.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SpaceCommie posted:

Those are some very pretty paint jobs!

I'm hoping I'll resist tbh, because there's literally nothing I want from it but the exclusive models. That is still far more than I get from my Labour membership though ...

BRB have an excellent idea for Britain's next big political party

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This comment under a Jess Flaps article on the Independent tickled me:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/hancock-breaking-rules-public-covid-b1873506.html

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

there's a horrible smear campaign against Labour in Batley saying that

https://twitter.com/josiahmortimer/status/1409216843416485889?s=20

the party is committed to the BAME community and supports BLM

*gasp*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lmao: the smear leaflets make them look less racist than their actual leaflets.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

*gasp*

There's seven different actual, no-poo poo fascist candidates in the seat trying to get the Thomas Mair vote, which makes Labour's complete abandonment of its Muslim voters even less forgivable.

https://twitter.com/armilani_/status/1409513595415760906?s=21

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

forkboy84 posted:

While I'm sympathetic to this point of view we need words which adequately describe people who are loving idiots. Because there's a lot of them around. Except idiot was also a slur for people with learning disabilities.

I'd also argue that as someone with a myriad of mental health problems it can be easier to address it when you are first coming to grips with the fact your brain doesn't work normally in one way or another by using slightly glib and almost childish language like loony or nutcase. Maybe that's just me though.

is me too

Necrothatcher posted:

*gasp*

What the gently caress is happening sometimes it feels like my brain is going to spurt out of my ears like a stepped on frube

but also

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Necrothatcher posted:

*gasp*

oh no not the briar patch anything but the briar patch

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Overton window the size of a needle's eye when Keith is being dogged as overly woke.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Just to save people clicking through the tweet, the leaflet's worth a read:

"woke credentials", "the biggest threat ... is whiteness". Bit on the nose imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
not wrong tho

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the knee thing is popular with >60% of the public too, which is why it’s maddening why starmer just didn’t come out and support it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Starmer basically shat it in all directions with the knee thing, starting with the moment/movement thing and going off on a rant about defunding police and finishing with a sterile knee taking photoshoot that's perfect for any fash thumb to photoshop and obviously taken nowhere near a protest with any actual Black people.

e: Oh and the bias training, forgot about that, much like anyone who does the course.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

the lesson from the corbyn years was just how inadequate and actively booby-trapped the labour party is as a vehicle of social change

we need a new party since I think thats possibly a hair more likely than actually being able to turn 2021 labour into a viable left wing electoral force but i also think thats very unlikely.
whats more likely to happen is the left just gets drawn back into some struggle over Labour when its burnham vs phillips over who gets to be leader of a pack of incompetents for the rest of my life

Always the optimist.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Both gone.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
starmer is a cop what do you expect

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

Starmer basically shat it in all directions with the knee thing, starting with the moment/movement thing and going off on a rant about defunding police and finishing with a sterile knee taking photoshoot that's perfect for any fash thumb to photoshop and obviously taken nowhere near a protest with any actual Black people.

e: Oh and the bias training, forgot about that, much like anyone who does the course.

It's my favorite practical example of how Starmer's middle-of-the-road instincts invariably end up alienating both sides of the argument.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Has literally anyone on the left used "woke" unironically?

In any other by-election I'd roll my eyes and scoff, but here? In Batley and loving Spen?

No prospective Labour voter is going to read that and be swayed. In fact, who is out there thinking Labour are doing too well and need to be taken down a notch?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
People who use "woke" unironically.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Report those who booed to the relevant authorities.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I get the feeling that leaflet is supposed to be catnip to undiagnosed Thomas Mair types.

"Labour think white supremacists are bad. What are ya going to do about that, huh?"

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
The funny thing is that, from what I've seen, Labour's actual byelection materials have ditched the pure red colour scheme to adopt a much more thematically appropriate red/blue gradient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The only semi-unironic use of woke I've seen is someone saying "Wokeness is a continual waking motion", as a K6BD reference but also a decent statement it it's own right.