Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

The goofy former alt text could use updating and AFAIK only admins can do that. I don't have any ideas off the top of my head, just wanted to get the ball rolling.

e:

how about "the politically illiterate ancap vs the actually illiterate anprim". I think about that post every now and then and do a little lol

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shine posted:

- Some threads are seen as "chat threads" that are overly insular and sources of drama, forum feuds, Making Posting Enemies, etc. Personally I'm not into threads that function as essentially a forums-based Discord, but as long as they aren't leading to dumb drama, I don't have a strong opinion on them being here versus CCCC or wherever. I acknowledge that "as long as they aren't leading to dumb drama" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

I think this is a reasonable standard to have for any discussion happening here, but I do want to flag that in this particular case there have been, and will certainly continue to be, people trying to stir up drama in CSPAM chat threads expressly for the purpose of getting them shut down. Allowing goons to run into threads and try to troll each other is the oldest tradition on SA but if what you want is to cut down on drama, you might need to strike a different balance here.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fortaleza posted:

The goofy former alt text could use updating and AFAIK only admins can do that. I don't have any ideas off the top of my head, just wanted to get the ball rolling.

e:

how about "the politically illiterate ancap vs the actually illiterate anprim". I think about that post every now and then and do a little lol

Suggestions have been done in this thread, but if yall want to start a new thread to specificly solicite new ideas that's fine. Just please change it lol.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Not really a suggestion but I do want to thank you, Astral, Smythe and Jeffrey for being cool about that ban me and another person got for posting threads a bit ago.

Not really a super great occurrence so maybe use that as a reference point to work out "how did we get escalated to that point to where month+bans were handed out with no communication to the forum or posters" and work back from there but the resolution was well handled.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
do want to clarify i genuinely don't want to see the chat thread hosed with by mods/admins without the people in it being on board with whatever happens, because its not that big of a deal for me to just not click it, and a bigger deal to the people who post in it, a lot. even if i say mean things about it.

i should probably have emphasised that more since i have a star next to my name but for real, if you think anything i say gets genuinely listened to as sage advice by some cabal you are way more doomer then i could ever be

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the next C-SPAM IK/Mod addition should post in the games thread, I think it's important that button-pushers have hobbies beyond button-pushing and it's an example of a great, politics-adjacent subject thread that's not solely political.

we've spent like, the last week cheering smarxist through his first dark souls run and everyone is feelin' real chum and chill in there, and there's some good vibes posting going on imho

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Athanatos posted:

I want to quote Shine's post again, and ask if these are the correct reads of your forum here. I don't want to leave here with wrong information:

it is on a whole not a correct read on the forum and has some pretty bad oversights which - if they become the basis of future policy - will likely have deleterious effects on the current community

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Being friendly with smarxist is an instant disqualification

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Lib and let die posted:

the next C-SPAM IK/Mod addition should post in the games thread, I think it's important that button-pushers have hobbies beyond button-pushing and it's an example of a great, politics-adjacent subject thread that's not solely political.

we've spent like, the last week cheering smarxist through his first dark souls run and everyone is feelin' real chum and chill in there, and there's some good vibes posting going on imho

Video games are for children and I'd like the mod to not be a Gamer honestly, there are lots of hobbies beyond video games

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Video games are for children and I'd like the mod to not be a Gamer honestly, there are lots of hobbies beyond video games

the one thing that the gaming thread agrees on is that gamers should be banned hth

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Haha that's so randomly self-deprecating :D

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
If new mods are brought on and cspam culture changes, I would prefer the trump/chat thread moved rather than be destroyed. it harms no one.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Chat thread serves its purpose as a dump for poo poo posts/quarantine for posters who like to spam about their lives and should be left alone (and probably IK'd by a known chat poster). That thread shouldn't have much power over the rest of the subforum though and while mega threads can be bad, I think there is a trend lately with more threads being made.

More hands off moderation would be nice but also dealing with the aggro idiots who can take over threads when posting about posters should be probed more often though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

UFO thread has been a recent thread that came out of nowhere and is an absolute loving delight. I don't know what makes it different but the abject absurdity of the topic and positivity and earnestness of the people in it is rad. Whatever it is should be cultivated and studied for replication

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

euphronius posted:

it is on a whole not a correct read on the forum and has some pretty bad oversights which - if they become the basis of future policy - will likely have deleterious effects on the current community

How so?

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

the games thread is super good and i've been meaning to post there more since i've been playing a ton of random demos on steam and wanna post about them somewhere

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Lib and let die posted:

Please indict me you bootlicking darkmoons!

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Shine posted:

- Some threads are seen as "chat threads" that are overly insular and sources of drama, forum feuds, Making Posting Enemies, etc. Personally I'm not into threads that function as essentially a forums-based Discord, but as long as they aren't leading to dumb drama, I don't have a strong opinion on them being here versus CCCC or wherever. I acknowledge that "as long as they aren't leading to dumb drama" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

i disagree with this. I don't see these threads as being that at all. Joementum beat me to a real good response on it but I will add that you should probably check out the thread(s) in question before making a decision on them, as I'm of the belief that you should check out threads and forums that people are screaming to get closed immediately before actually acting on them.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Pamela Springstein posted:

If new mods are brought on and cspam culture changes, I would prefer the trump/chat thread moved rather than be destroyed. it harms no one.

I'm not planning on changing anything with chat threads. My hope is when new mods are added, they start by reading this thread and seeing what the general feel for things are, then maybe running their own and deciding on chat threads with the community.

I like Tiler Kiwi's post here:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

do want to clarify i genuinely don't want to see the chat thread hosed with by mods/admins without the people in it being on board with whatever happens, because its not that big of a deal for me to just not click it, and a bigger deal to the people who post in it, a lot. even if i say mean things about it.

i should probably have emphasised that more since i have a star next to my name but for real, if you think anything i say gets genuinely listened to as sage advice by some cabal you are way more doomer then i could ever be

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I think cspam has been at it best the past month. Also, there's been no mods for the past month, huh wonder what the correlation is there!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i disagree with this. I don't see these threads as being that at all. Joementum beat me to a real good response on it but I will add that you should probably check out the thread(s) in question before making a decision on them, as I'm of the belief that you should check out threads and forums that people are screaming to get closed immediately before actually acting on them.

Even if the threads are NOT that, they are seen as that by more than a few people.

Much like CSPAM is seen as one thing by the other forums. Doesn't make it true, but that's the label they have been stuck with.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I have been a sporadic poster on the SA alternative serious posting forums since LF. To me the value of C-SPAM is that it is more of a melee than D&D and this results in different (and IMO more enlightening) discourse. People may call it "leftist" but that is more of a result of the discourse than the raison d'etre. It is what happens when you allow people to smash the civil-yet-garbage argumentation that goes on in D&D - the legalistic derails over minutiae, the goal post runarounds, the appeals to authority (in terms of media and public officials), and all the other intentional and unintentional fallacies that can masquerade as rational interrogation in a reasonable tone. Not that people don't refute that stuff in D&D, but with no control on the civil garbage-posting it just goes around and around ... and around. When you are allowed to say "gently caress that and gently caress you" along with your refutation, and enough people agree, you can run off the worst posters (or at least get them to stop it with specific lovely arguments). And lo and behold reality does not have a liberal bias, but somehow a bias towards analysis based on the material world.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
who cares

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the communism/witchcraft/ufo thread have posters who may be good candidates to look to IK/mod as they post funny things and content which I think is cool and I think they'd potentially make better decisions on moderating this space.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Nonsense posted:

the communism/witchcraft/ufo thread have posters who may be good candidates to look to IK/mod as they post funny things and content which I think is cool and I think they'd potentially make better decisions on moderating this space.

yes/no/yes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nonsense posted:

yes/no/maybe

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I dont know

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

can you repeat the question?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Hooray at all this. Seriously good job admins for taking a look and soliciting feedback from the actual posters of a forum I think you did that here. :)

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Nonsense posted:

I don’t post in these threads (but I do read them) because I’m a giant moron with little to add of substance/currently non-magical/scared of aliens (respectively) but I like them all and think this is a good idea.

it seems from what I can gather in this thread that way too many IKs came from the trump/chat thread and that caused some friction and that does seem like a weird problem that shouldn’t have ever happened in the first place.

maybe there should be a “every major* thread gets one IK” plus whatever bonus IKs (idk how the gently caress rent-a-mods are chosen) the forums button-pushers want. I mean we had like a billion mods here before the purge, why shouldn’t there be a representative one from at least each major thread?

*major should be hashed out but it should be pretty obvious I think which threads qualify.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Athanatos posted:

Even if the threads are NOT that, they are seen as that by more than a few people.

Much like CSPAM is seen as one thing by the other forums. Doesn't make it true, but that's the label they have been stuck with.

That just makes it more important for anyone modding those threads to actually educate themselves on them, not less, for much the same reason that modding CSPAM in general should probably not use the sort of QCS poster who thinks that "I agree, let's close CSPAM and D&D" is a hilarious thing to throw into every thread over there as a primary source of CSPAM intel.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

I think this is a reasonable standard to have for any discussion happening here, but I do want to flag that in this particular case there have been, and will certainly continue to be, people trying to stir up drama in CSPAM chat threads expressly for the purpose of getting them shut down. Allowing goons to run into threads and try to troll each other is the oldest tradition on SA but if what you want is to cut down on drama, you might need to strike a different balance here.

this dude knows what’s up.

Chat thread is chill and outside of a few weirdos who should get probated when they do it, I don’t see anyone starting drama/beefs

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Office Pig posted:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Office Pig posted:

You're not the boss of me, now

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
cspams pretty alright. good laughs mainly. a place to feel less insane about everything. i wish there was like a stickied thing that has the forum's decisions though. for example where did the trump thread go, why isn't twoday/squizle a mod anymore, why'd they get leave, who's the new mod, etc. i dont read threads enough to keep up with any of it but i am interested in what precipitates these changes. maybe thats a me problem i dunno

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

before this thread closes I want to say thank you to Ath and Shine for giving a poo poo and trying to figure out what's up instead of just throwing a few new mods at the forum and calling it a day

cspam has been pretty good lately and IMO that's largely due to a light mod touch.

my only critical request is to please change the forum alt text though the one we have now is really bad.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

thehandtruck posted:

cspams pretty alright. good laughs mainly. a place to feel less insane about everything. i wish there was like a stickied thing that has the forum's decisions though. for example where did the trump thread go, why isn't twoday/squizle a mod anymore, why'd they get leave, who's the new mod, etc. i dont read threads enough to keep up with any of it but i am interested in what precipitates these changes. maybe thats a me problem i dunno

I don't think there should be a thread detailing drama involving modding/demodding, but there definitely should be a rules thread (with a single post in it, not dozens) that outline the forum rules, including any thread titles we're not allowed to use. There shouldn't be unwritten rules.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Athanatos posted:

inventing a person for the sake of getting mad at them online isn't something that should be indulged or used as a benchmark for forums moderation.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks for doing this thread, I think it's been very useful, and despite my misgivings about how the staff have handled CSPAM issues in the past I think this thread is a great show of good faith and a necessary step in the right direction.

I'll be trying to get my thoughts down in between real life obligations but if I don't manage to finish my post before the thread is closed I'll just PM it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

before this thread closes I want to say thank you to Ath and Shine for giving a poo poo and trying to figure out what's up instead of just throwing a few new mods at the forum and calling it a day

cspam has been pretty good lately and IMO that's largely due to a light mod touch.

my only critical request is to please change the forum alt text though the one we have now is really bad.

when ya'll figure out what you want, let me know. No rush, my pm box is around

I know Jeff has been wanting either forum names, or forum descriptions to give a better idea of what they are