Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Re: dumb protagonists

Full Throttle, as mentioned, had a total meat head of a dude

Bulletstorm's main guy is dumb as gently caress but it's also intentional

Also me whenever I am playing a "video game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

This has nothing to do with anything, but I just started playing the Master Chief Collection. Started with the first Halo and man the original graphics are terrible. It's crazy how your nostalgia makes it so you remember it looking more like the remastered graphics than the original.

I know it being on an old tv back in the day instead of a 47" HDTV would have made it look slightly better but it still blew my mind. I wasn't even super young when I played the first Halo, I was about 15.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
True but it has been 20 years, I don't think GTA3 and Max Payne 1 would look as good as I'd remember :ohdear:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Max Payne 1 still looks great in the painted cutscenes.

The game, well, Max Payne face exists for a reason.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

JollyBoyJohn posted:

True but it has been 20 years, I don't think GTA3 and Max Payne 1 would look as good as I'd remember :ohdear:

30th anniversary of sonic the now as well :aaaaa:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
lmao when I was a kid I borrowed Sonic 1 from a friend of mine and he said that there was a level called the Labyrinth where you fight the Minotaur. Well my friends was half right, there is a level called labyrinth zone but there are no giant bovine men its just lots of drowning and being crushed by traps, my world was crushed

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

drat son, the metroid 2 fan remake is far and away better than the MercurySteam remake. the environments are plain and the melee counter is super goddamn annoying and obliterates the pace of the game.

kinda worried about Dread now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

drat son, the metroid 2 fan remake is far and away better than the MercurySteam remake. the environments are plain and the melee counter is super goddamn annoying and obliterates the pace of the game.

kinda worried about Dread now

Did you get to the new boss Mercury Stream added at the end of the game? Because its loving dire.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's funny how in Europe in early 2000s Xbox just wasn't a thing. It was Playstation:Xbox like 10 to 1 in terms of sales, and especially when it came to FPS games it was all about Quake 3, Unreal Tournament and Counter Strike. Halo was not even on our radar because it just looked so sterile and unimpressive. We were all about that edge, Halo was for babies. It was only retrospectively I heard the phrase "halo killer" and how big Halo was in the US.

And I recently bought the Halo bundle to figure out what I've been missing and jeez those games are flat.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Vic posted:

It's funny how in Europe in early 2000s Xbox just wasn't a thing. It was Playstation:Xbox like 10 to 1 in terms of sales, and especially when it came to FPS games it was all about Quake 3, Unreal Tournament and Counter Strike. Halo was not even on our radar because it just looked so sterile and unimpressive. We were all about that edge, Halo was for babies. It was only retrospectively I heard the phrase "halo killer" and how big Halo was in the US.

And I recently bought the Halo bundle to figure out what I've been missing and jeez those games are flat.

I think it was more of an experience when consoles moved into the mainstream of entertainment and at the same time got powerful enough to run FPSs. I remember a lot of PC gamers back in the day having the same reaction when they were new. Unreal tournament and Quake 3 were out and much better than Halo

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Vic posted:

how dare you question the mighty Halo!

seriously though, I own all the Halo games and they are fine, not amazing, just...OK. For perspective, I consider Quake 2 from 1997, a far, far better shooter than all the Halos combined.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Vic posted:

It's so true, the only people I ever knew with an X-Box were super nerds who used to solely for XBMC and didn't ever buy a single game. (Except for Splinter Cell, lol).

tango alpha delta posted:

how dare you question the mighty Halo!

seriously though, I own all the Halo games and they are fine, not amazing, just...OK. For perspective, I consider Quake 2 from 1997, a far, far better shooter than all the Halos combined.

Yeah I mean that's the thing though, for a LOT of gamers, Goldeneye was their Doom, y'know? Like, "Oh poo poo this genre, especially multiplayer, is awesome!". And then you had it again with Halo and again with CoD, where there are MUCH better versions of that game out there, but just being the first time someone experiences it, it's gonna blow them away, and that first time will always resonate super strong.

I know this one kid who's first multiplayer FPS was TimeSplitters 2, and he's still kinda obsessed with it. Like it was a good game, sure, but would you ever consider bringing it up in a conversation about best / most influential FPS games?

!Klams fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 28, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Best? Yes.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

!Klams posted:

I know this one kid who's first multiplayer FPS was TimeSplitters 2, and he's still kinda obsessed with it. Like it was a good game, sure, but would you ever consider bringing it up in a conversation about best / most influential FPS games?

No but Timessplitters 1 was rad as gently caress, it had time-travel and blunderbusses and just a good theme, unlike doom or quake I never ever want to play it again though

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

Did you get to the new boss Mercury Stream added at the end of the game? Because its loving dire.

no, i stopped playing it and downloaded AM2R (which is good as hell).

i got so tired of walking into a room, waiting for an enemy to attack, countering it, then mashing the fire button until the thing died, only to walk half a screen over and having to do the wait-counter-fire thing all over again. really ruins the pace of the game, and enemies have a ton of health and damage, so they can't really be ignored or dodged.

the melee counter looks good on the back of the box, but someone who play tested the game had to have pointed out how annoying executing the wait-counter-fire pattern on *every* enemy in the game was. it's baffling MercurySteam and Nintendo thought Samus Returns was fine.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Vic posted:

agreed. i dabbled into halo as a high school kid, but BF1942, Q3 and UT were my jam, so i pretty much ignored Halo.

i went back and tried to play reach for the first time last month, and good lord was it ever slow and boring.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Vic posted:

I was the rare nerd who had Xbox in Europe.

I got Xbox mainly because of KOTOR, which was reason enough. And I got XB360 mainly for the controller, because Playstation controllers suck if you have large hands.

After that I've just played on PC.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I got an xbox because my dad was a massive nerd who wanted to play KoToR lol

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

lobsterminator posted:

I got Xbox mainly because of KOTOR, which was reason enough. And I got XB360 mainly for the controller, because Playstation controllers suck if you have large hands.

What are you talking about, 360 and ps4 controllers are fine for any handled people it's the xbox duke that deserves to get slagged off

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I can't remember why I bought an Xbox. I do remember trading it in for a slim PS2 and GTA:SA though.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What are you talking about, 360 and ps4 controllers are fine for any handled people it's the xbox duke that deserves to get slagged off

Well also the XB360 controller layout is more logical IMO. The left stick is the primary controller so it's positioned optimally for your thumb and the for the right hand the buttons are primary so they are the position. I think the Playstation symmetrical layout is not as good.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Lmao, look at small hands here.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Lmao, look at small hands here.

:aslol:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

The Duke was fine if you had big ol sausage fingers like me, but some people try to say it was better than the S controller and they're absolutely out of their minds.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

lobsterminator posted:

Well also the XB360 controller layout is more logical IMO. The left stick is the primary controller so it's positioned optimally for your thumb and the for the right hand the buttons are primary so they are the position. I think the Playstation symmetrical layout is not as good.

Yeah on any Playstation controller pushing the sticks inward makes my thumbs hit eachother which is pretty annoying.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah on any Playstation controller pushing the sticks inward makes my thumbs hit eachother which is pretty annoying.

jfc how big are your thumbs

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Don't thumb shame

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

lol

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Vic posted:

So it wasn't just a Dutch thing, I see. Nobody I knew had an Xbox and nobody ever talked about Halo, it was all PS2 all the time. I remember seeing ads for Halo 2 at bus stops and being surprised that MS shelled out the cash for advertising in a market that seemed very indifferent to it. And then 360 came out and MS instantly caught up with Sony. It was weird times.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Yeah the explosion of 360 was the most bizarre thing, I didn't avoid the ps3 for any particular reason but everything just funnelled towards the xbox for that generation

which was great because i had the best console to put 150 hours into fallout 3 in

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Was the ps3 not insanely overpriced at release in Europe? I figure that is what drove a lot of 360 sales in the US

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
In the country of europe, no one had heard of halo, all we played was Beetroot simulator 2000

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Doctor J Off posted:

I think it was more of an experience when consoles moved into the mainstream of entertainment and at the same time got powerful enough to run FPSs. I remember a lot of PC gamers back in the day having the same reaction when they were new. Unreal tournament and Quake 3 were out and much better than Halo

Halo was right time right place. It was at the dawn of the (decent) console FPS and the college dorm gaming golden age.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

no, i stopped playing it and downloaded AM2R (which is good as hell).

i got so tired of walking into a room, waiting for an enemy to attack, countering it, then mashing the fire button until the thing died, only to walk half a screen over and having to do the wait-counter-fire thing all over again. really ruins the pace of the game, and enemies have a ton of health and damage, so they can't really be ignored or dodged.

the melee counter looks good on the back of the box, but someone who play tested the game had to have pointed out how annoying executing the wait-counter-fire pattern on *every* enemy in the game was. it's baffling MercurySteam and Nintendo thought Samus Returns was fine.

This is why the iron keep in Dark Souls 2 is the loving worst.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The iron keep was great you monster

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Zzulu posted:

In the country of europe, no one had heard of halo, all we played was Beetroot simulator 2000

and pes

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I was recommended rust from a few friends and it was in the steam sale, so far my experience has been waiting 30 minutes for it to load, it crashing and then waiting another 30 minutes and it's almost done

This better be loving amazing

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I was recommended rust from a few friends and it was in the steam sale, so far my experience has been waiting 30 minutes for it to load, it crashing and then waiting another 30 minutes and it's almost done

its not

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol get a refund before you go over the 2 hours

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

JollyBoyJohn posted:

it's v bad OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Phigs posted:

Halo was right time right place. It was at the dawn of the (decent) console FPS and the college dorm gaming golden age.

It also did a lot of innovative poo poo that you don't really see these days because it's commonly accepted and for the most part people ignored it's terrible campaign so playing it these days loses that shooting your buddies over pizza feel that it catered to back before everything went online.

Console shooter controls were complete dogshit and then Halo popped up being designed pretty much straight for them. The regenerating armor that people love to rag on was a pretty unique system at the time that ensured you would never be stuck having to win this next fight a single bullet from death, and the seamless vehicle/on foot flow was still novel even in PC games. It was also a breath of fresh air during a period where you were being drowned in ww2 shooting games, just like unreal tournament and ts2 were at the time.

But good lord the campaign in the first one has such dogshit design it's amazing it took off anyways.