Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

hot as balls in nyc

gonna attach a peltier cooler to my taint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Source4Leko posted:

Yea this should work much better than nothing its not a bad idea.

it'll work until the bucket of water reaches room temperature

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

hot as balls in nyc

oh right, the east coast heat wave is picking up right as the west coast one crests.

drat north america is gettin owned this year

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

It's the principle behind AC in general yea

lol

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

Oh cool I didn't know that! I know nothing about how HVAC works.

It's a lot fancier now but the process at its simplest is pretty much send cold fluid through coils > blow air over coils > cold air!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVo0GuNm3Ek

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hot girl summer is off to a good start in the PNW

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
hey at least the cascadian subduction zone hasn't decided to wake up and gently caress us all with The Big One in the middle of all this

yet

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

hot as balls in nyc

i just went to the store
thought it was pretty ok. not as humid feeling as advertised but the sun is very intense

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

shame on an IGA posted:

Then you get another bucket of cold water. Or modify it so it just runs off the tap then drains out your window onto your driveway to clean it or something.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

92 with 50% humidity uptown rn according to my phone. its been higher on this date in recent past iirc

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Portland is already at 108F, which is +9F from same time yesterday. Yesterday's high was 112F.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

HonorableTB posted:

Oh cool I didn't know that! I know nothing about how HVAC works.

you know how if you flip one of those canned air dusters over and spray it gets really cold as the liquid turns to gas? an air conditioner is basically doing that inside of a big coil that it blows air over.

the bits outside are doing the opposite, taking the incoming gas and compressing it then running it through a big coil that it blows air over to turn it back into liquid.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grundulum posted:

I dunno about physically possible. Desert rocks that are dark colored and in extremely insolated areas can act as pretty dang effective absorbers of heat. This report would probably earn a 0 reliability score from that WUnderground author, but a satellite measurement of The Flaming Mountains in China may have detected a ground temperature above 66*C.

Ground temperature is not air temperature. If we’re playing this game, I choose Erta Ale, Ethiopia.

I agree that hotter temperatures are attainable now than were in the twentieth century, but some place that has never been a contender for the absolute temperature record isn’t going to come within half of a degree of it today.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

That's why you set it up to continuously fill/drain, keeping the cooling liquid as cold as possible via the tap :pseudo:

E:fb

OK baizuo has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Jun 28, 2021

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Someone is playing SimCity and slamming the natural disaster button over and over at this point

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Every time I get up from under the wet towel I am taught that life is unsustainable in the blasted landscape beyond the wet towel

I am starting a new life within the towel

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1409616162254688261

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
just got off the phone with someone in whitehorse and it's 30 friggin degrees C in the Yukon right now

that's 86 F. in the *yukon*

the world is melting

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's just weather guys

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1409618005634404363

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Did the Seattle-PAC NW have a culture of not owning air-conditioners? I know it's rainy but I did not figure it was "perfect" like the bay area or something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Not the kind of burning typically associated with Salem.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Did the Seattle-PAC NW have a culture of not owning air-conditioners? I know it's rainy but I did not figure it was "perfect" like the bay area or something.

The PNW's climate usually hovers between 50 and 70 year-round, when it dips below freezing in the winter or goes over 90 in the summer it's usually anomalous enough to be front page news

Our infrastructure literally isn't built for this

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1409627584602718209

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nonsense posted:

90 F is our usual peak. Anything much above that is where neighbour start going "ooh, it's a hot one today eh?" at each other then everyone nods in agreement knowing that it's the one day a year everyone gets to have that conversation.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Apparently there was a rounding error and the hourly average was still 116, but I'm sure we will get there soon!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

frozen Texas in the winter, burning PNW in the summer, lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Nonsense posted:

They haven't generally been necessary until we turbocharged climate change and imported the climate from Phoenix. Less than half of homes have air conditioning, many buildings don't have it, and poo poo sucks!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Also the less-than-half of homes that do actually have air conditioning were all built in the past decade and are largely uninhabited due to the reprehensible housing market

If you live in a house made before the Obama administration or an apartment at all then what I recommend is soaking a towel in cold water and then living under it until the air and sky become sensible again

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Wolfy posted:

Apparently there was a rounding error and the hourly average was still 116, but I'm sure we will get there soon!

These are unofficial 5-min observations (used more by the FAA for the wind data). The underlying data are in whole degrees C, so yea the conversion is not exactly accurate for climate purposes.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

Every time I get up from under the wet towel I am taught that life is unsustainable in the blasted landscape beyond the wet towel

I am starting a new life within the towel

if you gaze long into the towel, the towel also gazes into you.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

DoombatINC posted:

Also the less-than-half of homes that do actually have air conditioning were all built in the past decade and are largely uninhabited due to the reprehensible housing market

If you live in a house made before the Obama administration or an apartment at all then what I recommend is soaking a towel in cold water and then living under it until the air and sky become sensible again

my apartment was remodeled a few years ago and they added in A/C, i normally wouldn't run it but it's uninhabitable without it atm

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
it’s like a third of residences or something?

I imagine there’s probably a split between owned vs rentals by some margin, but not a whole lot... the whole neighborhood is operating on at least 1 level of improvisation

I feel like an rear end in a top hat pointing a shiny car windshield thingy out the window at the neighbors but you’ve gotta be a fuckin idiot to have the blinds open right now tbh. also I checked, it’s not lensing holes in anything

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It's over 50% households with AC now, but that's been heavily influenced by new-build apartments in SLU, downtown, cap hill, etc. where you have a tower going up with 1000+ apartments that all have central air. The outlying Seattle SFH neighborhoods are still mostly AC-less.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/OrangePaulp/status/1409281727948800008?s=20

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

tfw it's not a dry heat 😔

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

115 at PDX jesus gently caress

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
time to fire the aerosols would much rather freeze to death

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
I tried to buy everyone at work popsicles but they were sold out at Walmart. I hope 7-11 still has slurpees cuz I’m really looking forward to one after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Koirhor posted:

time to fire the aerosols would much rather freeze to death

About that...

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/10/eaat3272

quote:

Persistent episodes of extreme weather in the Northern Hemisphere summer have been associated with high-amplitude quasi-stationary atmospheric Rossby waves, with zonal wave numbers 6 to 8 resulting from the phenomenon of quasi-resonant amplification (QRA). A fingerprint for the occurrence of QRA can be defined in terms of the zonally averaged surface temperature field. Examining state-of-the-art [Coupled Model Intercomparison Project Phase 5 (CMIP5)] climate model projections, we find that QRA events are likely to increase by ~50% this century under business-as-usual carbon emissions, but there is considerable variation among climate models. Some predict a near tripling of QRA events by the end of the century, while others predict a potential decrease. Models with amplified Arctic warming yield the most pronounced increase in QRA events. The projections are strongly dependent on assumptions regarding the nature of changes in radiative forcing associated with anthropogenic aerosols over the next century. One implication of our findings is that a reduction in midlatitude aerosol loading could actually lead to Arctic de-amplification this century, ameliorating potential increases in persistent extreme weather events.