Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

e:

I think idle games are a small enough niche that a dedicated community with easy links is actually viable and was a pivot option open to them, Kart fit right in with that too

Kart was great, but they didn’t push things there. They also neglected the social aspect with a lovely chat pane. It did have the bonus of being able to run the games without terrible memory leaks from all the video ads constantly trying to load.

I think the only other big idles on it are ITRTG and Realm Grinder (which has been terrible to play since they ruined the graphics and used a hard to read font). So there’s not really a reason to use it aside from not wanting to run more than one thing via steam at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
there's an Android version of Kitten Game that's still getting updated on the reg.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kitten game was always its own site, unless that was a non sequitur

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
I updated NGU and killed the last guy, but I'd forgotten to clear my inventory of all the powerups and macguffins, so now I have to wait an hour to finish the game :(

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Hryme posted:

Synergism is really bad. There are like two points where you have to read an ability description to realize you have to prestige a bunch of times to get a multiplier up. Otherwise there is no thinking involved in that game. Just click click click.

This is a genre that includes Cookie Clicker. I mean like, feel free to typify it as an entry with little divergence or choice (I thinking figuring out what order to do things in is mildly complex but not very) that's true and all but that doesn't make it 'bad' most people don't play clickers for their complexity.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

every idler must feature the glass ceiling mechanic from sandcastle builder

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Aurora posted:

every idler must feature the glass ceiling mechanic from sandcastle builder

That was a neat puzzle to solve, but also a real drag.
If anyone hasn't done it and wants an easy solution, just remember 010. You'll do that between every step, and as long as you don't mess up the 010, there will only be one correct move available.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I mean, maybe I'm thinking too much about a genre that literally plays itself. But I much prefer games like NGU, where you've got a lot to think about in regards to how you're allocating your resources, what equipment you're wearing, and how you're spending your exp/pp/qp. And I don't think that's an unpopular opinion, given NGU's popularity.

In comparison, Synergism definitely feels like "Here's your 5 buttons, that you must press, in order, to unlock 5 more buttons!" And I'm really not about that in the slightest. It's better than Prestige Tree at least.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to accelerate QP gain in NGU that I might be missing, it is it just a slog?

I've gotten most of the easily accessible perks, working on the wish, but I've been working yin the adventure bonus for probably three weeks now, and that's with doing major quests actively on the weekends and occasionally weekday evenings.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a way to accelerate QP gain in NGU that I might be missing, it is it just a slog?

I've gotten most of the easily accessible perks, working on the wish, but I've been working yin the adventure bonus for probably three weeks now, and that's with doing major quests actively on the weekends and occasionally weekday evenings.

It’s a slog. The more you get QP gain stuff the better, but it’s still a slog to do manually and actually get stuff for a while. Especially at the beginning it feels like it just takes forever to make any gains.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Arzaac posted:

I mean, maybe I'm thinking too much about a genre that literally plays itself. But I much prefer games like NGU, where you've got a lot to think about in regards to how you're allocating your resources, what equipment you're wearing, and how you're spending your exp/pp/qp. And I don't think that's an unpopular opinion, given NGU's popularity.

In comparison, Synergism definitely feels like "Here's your 5 buttons, that you must press, in order, to unlock 5 more buttons!" And I'm really not about that in the slightest. It's better than Prestige Tree at least.

In comparison, I honestly like the Synergism or PT style of games, somewhat over NGU, if I'm honest, but I like both.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

:saddumb:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Gotta make sure you max your blood generation before you throw money into the pit.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

This happens because the money pit's result is based on your blood production at the time you dump your gold in. The result is like 15-60min (depending on gold amount) of blood production as an iron pill.

Thanatosian posted:

It's a slog and pretty much stays thus. Production does pick up a lot as you get through Sadistic titans and get their accompanying wishes for QP on kill; now that I AK amalgamate I make more QP from titans than from idling minor quests, and getting the card tiers up past like 7 or 8 starts to make the card bonus substantial. But I'd say it really only gets to a point where you think "wow I'm getting a lot of QP" at the very edge of the pre-ending nothingness. And even now there are insanely expensive adventure bonuses left for me so I can't tell where you are in the game: "wow working on this adventure boost quirk sucks" is an evergreen opinion until you're done with all quirks and don't care about your income anymore.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's been a while since I've played a great idler on the phone, so I tried getting into Idle Apocalypse again because I'm looking for something that I can open up and tap a few times when I have a few spare minutes before putting it away again and I remembered liking this game last I played. I do enjoy the loop but the more I play it the more I start to hate the fact that I can't have a surplus of everything. It's kind of the same issues I had with NGU:I when I think about it; I just want everything to be in the green but it's not how the game works.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

wait if this is the final update does this mean these challenges aren't actually getting special rewards :argh:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Aurora posted:

wait if this is the final update does this mean these challenges aren't actually getting special rewards :argh:

The special rewards are the friends we've made along the way.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I'm replaying Synergism after stopping back before Ants were added in, and there's a meta addition to it I really like- you can connect your game to your patreon and get bonuses if you support the game, but the game is also giving everyone a passive bonus just based on how much the patreon is bringing in. I think that's a nice in-game incentive beyond just wanting to support the game's development.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Manyorcas posted:

I'm replaying Synergism after stopping back before Ants were added in, and there's a meta addition to it I really like- you can connect your game to your patreon and get bonuses if you support the game, but the game is also giving everyone a passive bonus just based on how much the patreon is bringing in. I think that's a nice in-game incentive beyond just wanting to support the game's development.

I like this pay style I've seen it a few times but it can turn bad for the dev as an income cap as players hit a point where it breaks the game to go above so the dev caps it there. Or there is massive power creep and when new content comes out it's designed around them making 5x as much as they are now in bonuses and they keep ratcheting it it.

Having read a bunch of stuff the dev has posted I think Synergism is more in danger of hitting a point where they are capping their income than becoming a grift. It isn't unique and it can go poorly, any game setup like this you need to look careful at the community and dev.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Aurora posted:

I don’t even think he removed the “will be added in the future” text to be honest. But I’m on the abandoned site and a Mac, so I’ll never know for sure.

Gonna finish up wishes and hacks and get my final gear, then keep a save file in hibernation so maybe some day I can just log in, kill the new titans, and see the ending.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

awww man I was so pumped to dual wield tommy guns like a real mobster but I forgot about the no duplicates rule

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Akratic Method posted:

I don’t even think he removed the “will be added in the future” text to be honest. But I’m on the abandoned site and a Mac, so I’ll never know for sure.

Gonna finish up wishes and hacks and get my final gear, then keep a save file in hibernation so maybe some day I can just log in, kill the new titans, and see the ending.

Wait X2 is the final update NOT getting pushed to the Kong accounts?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
something expanded on this more on discord but Kong is stupid and dead and the new build won't actually go on anything non steam. blame unity and Kong execs going into mobile and nuking an internet treasure trove

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Feline Mind Meld posted:

something expanded on this more on discord but Kong is stupid and dead and the new build won't actually go on anything non steam. blame unity and Kong execs going into mobile and nuking an internet treasure trove

This is like when they stopped installing Minesweeper on all windows machines. What are you supposed to do when you're pretending to work now?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
take more shits I guess

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

4G

im sorry

cooking just isnt fun :/

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Meskhenet posted:

4G

im sorry

cooking just isnt fun :/

Its not a big deal, just a few minutes once a day. Having it automatically bank time so I don't need to be there exactly 24 hours is nice.

My problem is the xp gains are negligible? I haven't gone back and farmed up cooking gear, but even with a 100% on cooking I'm getting somewhere in the order of millions of xp? But I'm at the point where I'm regularly making billions every day from titans and Yggdrasil. Just not sure what the point is.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
i mostly added it cause i would NOT hear the end of a million nerds shrieking if I didn't add something to sad

as in to the point where i am taking an extended sabbatical rn cause i am just SO burnt out on ngu and coding and unity loving up everything and dealing with toxic shitheads and etc

(you guys are not the toxic shitheads )

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Cooking was always a troll how did you not see this coming.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Also the final update is on Kartridge, unless there's been another patch since then that I'm not aware of. It was just added a few days later because 4g was having difficulty getting it work iirc? But the final boss is definitely in the Kartridge version right now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SporkChan posted:

Its not a big deal, just a few minutes once a day. Having it automatically bank time so I don't need to be there exactly 24 hours is nice.

My problem is the xp gains are negligible? I haven't gone back and farmed up cooking gear, but even with a 100% on cooking I'm getting somewhere in the order of millions of xp? But I'm at the point where I'm regularly making billions every day from titans and Yggdrasil. Just not sure what the point is.

I kept all my +cooking gear and it takes my cooking bonus from 132% to 162.34%, but the cooking modifier is going up steadily. It seems like it's a... slow burn.

Cooking is good and fun and is a perfect response to all the trolling about it that's been done for so long when people ask what it does on the GRB gear.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

something posted:

(you guys are not the toxic shitheads )

Wait, am I no longer on Something Awful Dot Com?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Anything new and good out lately? Did that one game with the pinballs that become beach balls ever hit 1.0?

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

SporkChan posted:

The XP gains seem pretty reasonable, after a week or so I have as much XP bonus from cooking as I do from the XP wish. It seems like as I go through sad it can only help.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I would pay AP for something that auto-reset my foodstuffs to 0 every time I ate a meal so I didn't have to mash-click my ingredients down before re-calculating the next meal

there's even an empty spot in one of the AP pages....the one with blue pills & beast butter IIRC

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

swampface posted:

The XP gains seem pretty reasonable, after a week or so I have as much XP bonus from cooking as I do from the XP wish. It seems like as I go through sad it can only help.

Wait, does cooking give a bonus to xp gain? I thought it was just an xp source. That'll teach me not to check all the tooltips.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SporkChan posted:

Wait, does cooking give a bonus to xp gain? I thought it was just an xp source. That'll teach me not to check all the tooltips.

Yeah, gitgud.

It’s in the EXP stats page and it will slowly make Sadistic much quicker at the end.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

While we're talking about cooking, it'd be nice if the ingredient count reset after each meal or there was a 'clear all' button since I basically need to start from scratch to figure out the optimal-ish dish anyway.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

SporkChan posted:

It is a few minutes each day.

When im currently spending about a minute a day tinkering, then just checking at odd times while i let everything else idle.

Add something in the AP shop where it automatically sets it

6 x 20 x plus some in clicks just to find the right value :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

i finally started synergism over the weekend.

it really could benefit from having a good wiki instead of 12 discord channels with pins. we live in a garbage future