Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

New FAQ update (well, it's missing but that's the intent at least): https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/28/guided-by-the-unseen/

Not too surprised by most of those, although sad to see some of the cards go. I still think they're a bit too conservative with some of their buffs. Elusive no longer being more xp should make it see use again, although I'm not entirely sure how much since you can basically still be hunter'd into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why they haven't done the obvious with Elusive, which is to make it only playable if you're engaged with an enemy. It wouldn't be the best teleport, it'd be the best anti-enemy panic button. Maybe make those enemies lose hunter for a turn also so it's a bit better and doesn't compete with Think On Your Feet for design space.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
This is some fun stuff. Elusive would’ve been real great in innsmouth.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

alansmithee posted:

New FAQ update (well, it's missing but that's the intent at least): https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/28/guided-by-the-unseen/

Not too surprised by most of those, although sad to see some of the cards go. I still think they're a bit too conservative with some of their buffs. Elusive no longer being more xp should make it see use again, although I'm not entirely sure how much since you can basically still be hunter'd into.

How does that Three Aces nerf affect your alt-Skids deck? In a deck that recurred it constantly there's still some value there I think by making your deck three cards lighter, but I assume it was mostly used in your deck to eventually do big Shotgun attacks?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I think it makes 3 aces pretty awkward now. In a deck that is built to search and draw it's maybe okay but it's a lot of set up to pass a single test. You can't build a deck around it now so it needs to slot into a different strategy.

I think the sniper rifle is still bad too. 3 ammo, 2 hand slots and you're still in trouble if you ever end up engaged with an enemy so you probably need bandolier for an of hand weapon, extra ammo to reload it etc. Fun to play as a jank deck but not much else.

I'm sad about the Wendy nerf, even though it makes total sense, only because I'd built a fun Wendy trap deck using cards like hiding spot, under surveillance etc but hasn't gotten around to playing it. At least I can start building a watchful peace decks without feeling dirty.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 29, 2021

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Kalko posted:

How does that Three Aces nerf affect your alt-Skids deck? In a deck that recurred it constantly there's still some value there I think by making your deck three cards lighter, but I assume it was mostly used in your deck to eventually do big Shotgun attacks?

My deck? It's basically entirely neutered. Shotgun likely would've been on the upgrade path I took (and KPC_Mammon's deck had it in) but how I was running Three Aces was being used once or twice a turn. So if there was some big mythos phase test I absolutely needed, I may throw it out there (later on after I had banked some cash the money talks became more relevant and I'd more likely use those, but until you get around 15-20 saved it's often just a dead card), then either be setting up again for next turn to have it ready or using a couple actions to just pull it off again on a big action that turn. That's what I thought was so interesting about Skids's ability when i first saw it previewed-not just the ability to accumulate money, but the fact you can trigger relatively harmless skill tests as a free action. My initial idea before I saw KPC_Mammon's deck was to use Manual Dexterities, upgraded Luckys, etc as well as Three Aces and other card draw to basically cycle through quickly to be able to get to what you need using his free test. But with Daredevil and Practice Makes Perfect, you accelerate through your deck way quicker.

Now, I do think you could make alt Skids work still. I think you'd lean more heavily into big money stuff with his ability. I'd also say you'd really want Daredevil (2) in that case, because you'll want to shuffle cards in (since you don't get as much value from forever milling yourself). You could either choose to use Three Aces as early boost/deck thinner, or an emergency button for when you absolutely need to pass something after you've assembled them all in your hand. I'd also probably rely more on the other skill cards for Rogues as well in that case just so Daredevil has more hits. If you don't cut Practice Makes Perfect entirely, Surprising Find might also be a good get in this case-you can still get a very small deck so you're practicing for most of it so getting hits should be good (upgraded Cigarette Case would also help here, but again that's even more xp). Shotgun still is likely usable, but you'd basically have to greatly up the threshold of cash needed since you can't rely on +3 icons and autopassing from Three Aces (or at least, not more than once). Although at that point, I'm not sure Skids is offering much more than other rogues like Jenny, Sabrina, or Preston in terms of big money plays, or Winni for card draw.

So TLDR version: my version of the deck was built around constant recursion of Three Aces, so it's basically DOA. However, you could likely build something similar leaning more into big money stuff and using Skids card selection as the main advantage over other rogues.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I think it makes 3 aces pretty awkward now. In a deck that is built to search and draw it's maybe okay but it's a lot of set up to pass a single test. You can't build a deck around it now so it needs to slot into a different strategy.

I think the sniper rifle is still bad too. 3 ammo, 2 hand slots and you're still in trouble if you ever end up engaged with an enemy so you probably need bandolier for an of hand weapon, extra ammo to reload it etc. Fun to play as a jank deck but not much else.

I'm sad about the Wendy nerf, even though it makes total sense, only because I'd built a fun Wendy trap deck using cards like hiding spot, under surveillance etc but hasn't gotten around to playing it. At least I can start building a watchful peace decks without feeling dirty.

Yeah Sniper Rifle is still bad. Honestly they could've made it 1h, or said you had an additional hand slot for a firearm or something with it. It's not like people don't have a sidearm and rifle carried at the same time. It's just strange to spend 4xp on a weapon that you can't actually use if an enemy spawns on you. Maybe you could use it in some goofy Leo deck where he uses Elusive or other similar rogue effects to disengage and then blast enemies, but that seems like a lot of work for little payoff.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 29, 2021

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
We went through return to forgotten age with Leo Anderson as the primary fighter in a four player game using the 3xp Springfield as his primary weapon after the first scenario. It was hard difficulty and being able to deal 3 damage per action and make most attacks without additional skill icons was a huge deal. We had a Trish though, so its weakness was nonexistent.

That change to three aces completely wrecks my Skids build on higher difficulties. I'm not sure his parallel front is worth using without it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The gun is better than you'd expect tbh. We had a Springfield Mark (with the old way the gun and sight worked obviously) in our last 4p Return to Forgotten Age campaign and he can combine it with Act of Desperation and Well Maintained to refresh his ammo. He did also carry a revolver and bandolier, but it wasn't used much. Mostly Skids with a bow and Mark's own Hiding Spots took care of support. Hiding Spot gets even better with being able to engage at 2 range. Mark is good here because his card draw lets you assemble the combo plus the access to those 2 tactics to help the strategy. You end up saving a lot of actions on not having to move as much, and Scene of the Crime is pretty much the extent of your clue gathering. So instead you spend time drawing and maybe healing yourself a bit. In Forgotten Age getting those 3 damage weapons online ASAP is mandatory imo.

It's never as good as the best weapons, but it was a lot less bad than feared. And it was certainly different, which I find fun.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

That change to three aces completely wrecks my Skids build on higher difficulties. I'm not sure his parallel front is worth using without it.

I still think it could be viable. Leaning into Manual Dex and upgraded Lucky basically lets you cycle through a bunch of cards and gain 3 money per turn possibly. Of course it's also much slower to come online and the top end isn't nearly as powerful but I think it's still possibly solid. Or maybe I just want to see Skids decent again, he's been bad for so long :( . At least he had a brief time in the sun...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

1. When someone said sniping is viable the caveat is always “If Trish is around”. I did the new role and scenario with her and Diana and the auto evade is still wild.

2. You can still build skids as a bow hunter. Three damage multiple times around with infinite ammo is just as good as a chainsaw. Venturer, haste, and you’re good in perpetuity. (You can have bandolier or borrowed time to really get ridiculous.)

3. Playing through the custom campaign, cyclopean ruins, and it’s wild. I’m playing with the artifact expansion (all this stuff is on TTS) as Indira the rogue. Truly nutty amounts of reactions between Socialite (bonuses based on how many times you parlay in a scenario) and Reconnaissance (A super expensive asset that counts as a parlay test.) Halfway through the campaign, got up to 30 resources, which is great with the new RTTCU Well Connected. Real Winnifred vibes. But so many assets…

We had a challenge on a location where you had to spend four resources per investigator, and I put in 10 while both of my teammates put in one.
(The team is wild, it’s George Barnaby the lawyer, who gets a free investigate the first time a round he puts a treachery in the discard pile from play. Really changes the vibe of getting a ▶️▶️ weakness from “dammit“ to “darn, George, get over here. Second is me the money/parlay machine. Last is inexplicably Ashley Williams from Mass Effect, who adds blessings to the bag when she kills enemies. Holy Lance is truly something to be reckoned with.)

It brought out the importance of having some versatility in your seekers. Just having a copy of strange formula gives so much versatility for helping with bosses or taking out stray enemies.

4. George can take talents, so there have been a few times when I’ve moved and both people used to safeguard to follow me. Which would be even funnier if I use “think on your feet“ to move the entire party away from the spawning enemy in zero actions. Real Mystery Inc hours.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Seems like card recursion was hit hard. What tricks (besides high card draw and the tricks in the Parallel Skids decks) were commonly used to recur cards? I’ve never even tried playing a deck with recursion besides obvious ones like Wendy/William/Mandy/Harvey, so I’m wondering what tools are out there that are being overused.

On a slightly different topic, does anyone have any Team Covenant boards or tokens they’re interested in parting with? I’ve been on the list waiting for the Dunwich and Forgotten boards ones to come back into stock for some time now. Recently looked at their store page and the listings are removed, so they may be unavailable from them temporarily or forever.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

alansmithee posted:

So TLDR version: my version of the deck was built around constant recursion of Three Aces, so it's basically DOA. However, you could likely build something similar leaning more into big money stuff and using Skids card selection as the main advantage over other rogues.

Fair enough. When I was going over the decklist in my head I underestimated how much recursion was going on.

One positive change is the ruling on looking at facedown cards, so now you can look at the cards under Ancestral Knowledge before drawing.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Hackjack posted:

Seems like card recursion was hit hard. What tricks (besides high card draw and the tricks in the Parallel Skids decks) were commonly used to recur cards? I’ve never even tried playing a deck with recursion besides obvious ones like Wendy/William/Mandy/Harvey, so I’m wondering what tools are out there that are being overused.

So basically you covered the main ones. Seekers all had most of the super card draw (typically based on the Mr. Rook/Practice Makes Perfect/research cards engine), with Mandy and Trish (who isn't a seeker but gets access to all the key stuff) probably being the best since they also could Three Aces. When I played Trish a bit back, I was probably getting pendant out every two or three turns. Survivor also has a ton of recursion, but most of there's comes from Resourceful, Scrounge For Supplies, and their own abilities. There's also a Will to Survive loop using True Survivor and Resourceful (generally you also need to throw in some money generation since that gets pricey every turn, Watch This can work, or Drawing Thin/Take Heart on some test, etc). Yorick and Silas could basically play Eucatastrophe every test it was applicable assuming they could afford it-Yorick could just do it from his elder sign, and Silas could do it if there was a Resourceful in his discard (elder sign back Resourceful and commit it, pass the test and get back Eucatastrophe). A Watchful Peace could also fit in with the Survivor stuff, although I don't know if you could do it every turn (possibly with a dedicated team, but you'd still have the Doom clock even if you ignore mythos cards). I assume Hallow was done more as a just in case thing (and to not make Guardians feel left out), although there was maybe something you could pull off with a team that floods the bag and Lola but I'm doubtful). Wendy also has an infinite money combo that's technically possible but maybe a bit difficult to set up due to some recursion (basically, if you have Easy Mark as your top card of discard and/or in your hand, her amulet in play, and your deck is 1 or 2 other Easy Marks, you can cycle that infinitely).

Kalko posted:

Fair enough. When I was going over the decklist in my head I underestimated how much recursion was going on.

One positive change is the ruling on looking at facedown cards, so now you can look at the cards under Ancestral Knowledge before drawing.

Until I played it I didn't realize how much recursion I was gonna do. I played Lonnie to help soak a bunch of the incidental horror/damage, but honestly she was probably key in my deck from stopping me from killing myself from horror. There were a few turns that I went through my deck twice in one turn. Thinking back, on top of the changes I mentioned (add a Mauser and Act of Desperation) I probably should've went with Surprising Find and just cut the Luckys altogether (or at least until I got the lvl 3 versions).

And I didn't see the facedown card ruling, that does sound like a good change.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, the facedown ruling is good. I've been avoiding ancestral knowledge because it was ambiguous but now I'm keen to do an Amanda deck with it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Minh doesn't really care what you draw but I can see how Amanda would want to be able to choose.

I've been looking for ideas for a pair of investigators to take on a TCU refresher. I've done Bless tokens now and I kind of want to try out Curses so I was thinking maybe Preston with a heap of testless effects like Intel Report, Double Double, and Lola Santiago with supporting stuff like Trial by Fire and Eye of the Djinn but I don't know if he can really shoulder all the clueing for a 2-player game. Geas is a really fun idea I saw with him too (you promise to not commit anything) but if you're focusing on testless stuff you don't really care about raising his stats. I think Preston does Blurse really well but I'd rather get a feel for a full Curse run.

For a partner I hardly ever play Mystics so I was thinking maybe Jim Culver with Armageddon and Curse of Aeons, and just generally to take some of the sting out of the bag. Anyone tried anything like this?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There’s no reason a Mystic can’t do some clues, especially early on with lockpicks or flashlights. And with the fire ax in one hand and the eye in the other, Preston can be a perfectly adequate flex fighter.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I think the Sprinfield would have worked without Trish as long as it was still a 4 player game. Not as good, but that's kinda the case for everything but the blackjack.

Survivor has two really good draw and resource engines. As an added bonus they can be used together to pay for Will to Survive and True Survivor every turn.

Grisly Totem (3) ÷ Take Heart, optional Relic Hunter and Rabbits Foot gives 2 or 3 cards and 2 resources every turn if you can fail a check.

Track Shoes and Drawing Thin let you turn a move action into some combination of card draw and resources. It also provides a check you can't succeed for your other engine.

I like to combine these with 6xp On Your Own because you don't need allies. Especially once you've picked up A Chance Encounter (2) and can play someone else's ally at a discount. It isn't required but it does let you afford expensive events before you are set up and makes it possible to play Will to Survive and True Survivor every single turn.

In addition to Will to Survive and True Survivor you can take Favor of the Sun and Ancient Covenent to never draw from the chaos bag during the mythos phase.

Will to Survive makes an old hunting rifle one of the best weapons in the game. 3 damage, cheap, and perfect accuracy at only 3xp is a steal.

I'm really surprised the Take Heart + Grisly Totem 3 interaction hasn't been hit yet. Will to Survive letting you completely ignore the chaos bag forever means it should probably be removed from the game after a single use if the Pendant of the Queen and Three Aces can't be allowed to stick around.

I played Calvin with this tech through Forgotten Age and it felt like a completely different game. Not quite pre Taboo Mandy, but after the first few turns he'd stop drawing tokens and could wander off and deal with distant threats because he's never in any danger regardless of difficulty.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Felt the same with favor of the sun Yorick.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm really surprised the Take Heart + Grisly Totem 3 interaction hasn't been hit yet. Will to Survive letting you completely ignore the chaos bag forever means it should probably be removed from the game after a single use if the Pendant of the Queen and Three Aces can't be allowed to stick around.

I played Calvin with this tech through Forgotten Age and it felt like a completely different game. Not quite pre Taboo Mandy, but after the first few turns he'd stop drawing tokens and could wander off and deal with distant threats because he's never in any danger regardless of difficulty.

I think the reason they didn't hit Will to Survive just yet was due to the fact it's much more involved, from xp and cost and needed card standpoint. That said I'd agree with you that if they hid the others it should probably also be removed. It's not even particularly new, I just don't know really what is the basis for what they decide to add to the taboo list.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Hackjack posted:

On a slightly different topic, does anyone have any Team Covenant boards or tokens they’re interested in parting with? I’ve been on the list waiting for the Dunwich and Forgotten boards ones to come back into stock for some time now. Recently looked at their store page and the listings are removed, so they may be unavailable from them temporarily or forever.

Dunwich and FA boards are probably gone for good. HOWEVER, all of their other Arkham stuff is back in stock.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

jeeves posted:

Dunwich and FA boards are probably gone for good. HOWEVER, all of their other Arkham stuff is back in stock.

The FA boards had a problem with the color where it would rub off. They offered to send a replacement board, but apparently they couldn't solve the problem so they are refunding. I told them it was a small issue on an otherwise perfect product and I didn't want the refund, but they are hard headed.

So this is to say that they won't be making the FA boards anymore.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Rusty Kettle posted:

The FA boards had a problem with the color where it would rub off. They offered to send a replacement board, but apparently they couldn't solve the problem so they are refunding. I told them it was a small issue on an otherwise perfect product and I didn't want the refund, but they are hard headed.

Mystery solved! I'm glad I grabbed 2x of them when I did, they're pretty cool.

I also remember from like one of their earliest streams of AH (like 15 months ago now????) that they had a little Mayan stone coaster for the Exploration deck-- totes would recommend that for anyone else, it is a rad upgrade for TFA.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Speaking if TC, did they stream Arkham this week? I missed the livestream and cannot find the recording on YouTube.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Rusty Kettle posted:

Speaking if TC, did they stream Arkham this week? I missed the livestream and cannot find the recording on YouTube.

It’s still on their twitch:

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/1070431128

Basically they had to call it a day early as one of their raid disks died and freaked them out.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Just had my first 11 action Rogue turn, capped off with the $11 payday. Four of the actions were expansion specific, but I could’ve replicated that with haste, borrowed time, quick thinking, and swift reflexes.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

Rusty Kettle posted:

Ah, that’s a bummer. I’ll probably have to start looking in second-hand places then.

Funny enough, I just listened to a podcast by them where they criticized various game companies for lack of communication and unpredictable supply chain. Seems hypocritical (or at least ironic) if they stopped making these without communication.

jeeves posted:

Mystery solved! I'm glad I grabbed 2x of them when I did, they're pretty cool.

I also remember from like one of their earliest streams of AH (like 15 months ago now????) that they had a little Mayan stone coaster for the Exploration deck-- totes would recommend that for anyone else, it is a rad upgrade for TFA.

I picked up this token set from Aurbits recently:
https://aurbits.com/listing/1012571386/the-forgotten-age-fan-made-plaquewallet
And started using the credit card holder as an exploration deck holder. Would recommend as well!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Can you folks recommend anywhere to buy singles/the cards that you only get one of in the core set? Don't want to shell out for a second core set, I bought three Netrunner cores just to get those precious full playsets :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Given that the only way to get those is from the core set, why would anyone sell those for less of the price of a core set? Like, whats the business model here?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Usually they're sold at a markup so you can make more than the total value of a core set by disassembling the core set and selling it piecewise.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Usually they're sold at a markup so you can make more than the total value of a core set by disassembling the core set and selling it piecewise.

I don't think I've seen anyone doing that for awhile. I believe early on there was a couple places doing it.

That said, I still could use a couple core sets for our group. Don't know if it'd be worth it to you but I'd be willing to send you some cash for the encounter card sets if you just wanted to buy another core.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

That's tempting! I'll let you know if I do end up getting one.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I bought some singles at https://borntoplaygames.crystalcommerce.com/ and they arrived within the week. But for the core set, there are so many good cards that you'd want a second copy of that I'd recommend just buying a second core for the going rate of just under $30 and selling off the extra encounter cards.

By the way, I've wound up with a second copy of The Unspeakable Oath because I ordered two by accident. It'd be a pain to return it to 401 Games in Canada (I'm in the US), so if anyone is willing to trade for Return to Night of the Zealot or Heart of the Elders, let me know!

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013
Keep in mind they're revising the core set too, so it might be worth waiting (if applicable) for that.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

There was a stream. Here are some new cards :

https://imgur.com/a/bTdyTVv

edit : linking this one here because it's great :

Kalko fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 8, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Bob looks like the methadone to my asset addiction.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

It occurred to me looking at those spoilers that another great thing about getting all of the player cards in one release is that you get all the supporting cards for the new investigators right away. I love the design of Trusty Bullwhip, and it was a pretty safe bet that Lily Chen's deckbuilding restrictions would rule out firearms but it's good to have it confirmed.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

One of the most annoying things from Innsmouth is that all Mary’s required cards, the Lance, Nephthys, and favor of the sun weren’t in the core box.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 8, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

One of the most annoying things from him Smith is that an Aries required cards, the Lance, Nephthys, in favor of the sun weren’t in the core box.

Sorry I think I'm having a minor stroke?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Sorry I think I'm having a minor stroke?

I thought I had gotten seriously out of touch with the current meta lingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Xlorp posted:

I thought I had gotten seriously out of touch with the current meta lingo.

Speech to text is a cruel mistress. I’m not sure why it doesn’t recognize “in Smith”… or any of those other words.