Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

site posted:

Lol get a refund before you go over the 2 hours

I don't intend to go a minute past 1 hour 55 tonight and so far the game is heading straight for the returns basket

Lol after loading 8000 assets it says its done and then wants to load another 2500

65 minutes and all I've seen is a menu screen

REFUND

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
lol I've never been madder at a videogame I didn't actually play, 75 minutes in the end, all load screens, maybe my fault for not putting it on the SSD but only really got room for one game at a time on there

lol rust, what a pile of garbage, i'm off to start sekiro

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Workaday Wizard posted:

Super Mario Odyssey is perfect and it's only fault is that it raised the bar way too high and now 3D World looks like an indie ripoff.

It's insane how much 3d world sucks so bad and Odyssey is the best platformer I've ever played in my life

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Anyone got any hot takes on The Forest? Is it just Rust, but spooky?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Zzulu posted:

In the country of europe, no one had heard of halo, all we played was Beetroot simulator 2000

It is required by law to only play video games like Cruelty Squad in glorious republic of Europe. No halos, hoops or rings allowed.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

FoolyCharged posted:

But good lord the campaign in the first one has such dogshit design it's amazing it took off anyways.
I had this expectation built up since playing it years ago but I really didn't find it that bad on a recent replay outside of a handful of "that level"'s every fps has, 2's campaign was abysmal however.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

FoolyCharged posted:

Console shooter controls were complete dogshit and then Halo popped up being designed pretty much straight for them. The regenerating armor that people love to rag on was a pretty unique system at the time that ensured you would never be stuck having to win this next fight a single bullet from death, and the seamless vehicle/on foot flow was still novel even in PC games. It was also a breath of fresh air during a period where you were being drowned in ww2 shooting games, just like unreal tournament and ts2 were at the time.

But good lord the campaign in the first one has such dogshit design it's amazing it took off anyways.

That was the weirdest thing. The "flood" of WW2 shooters lasted for about 4 years. Halo came out at about the same time as first Call of Duty. By the time COD2 came out with regenerating health it was already 2005 and it was already on Xbox360. In 2007 COD4 MW came out, and started a modern/slightly futuristic military shooter trend that lasts to this day.

I remember playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein which came out concurrently with Halo. COD 1 - 3 happen, but I don't care I'm playing Half Life 2 and F.E.A.R. COD4 comes out and I don't remember playing a singleplayer first person shooter ever again. That pure FPS genre just became COD clones.

Of course there are the Bioshocks and Borderlands, but they are a genre of their own, and meanwhile RE4 kicked off the 3rd person shooter genre.

Also check this:
It was 7 years between PSX and Xbox
It was 4 years between Xbox and Xbox360
It was 8 years between Xbox360 and XBone
It was 7 years between XBone and ThisBone

What the gently caress did Halo do to the gaming industry

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vic posted:

Also check this:
It was 7 years between PSX and Xbox
It was 4 years between Xbox and Xbox360
It was 8 years between Xbox360 and XBone
It was 7 years between XBone and ThisBone

What the gently caress did Halo do to the gaming industry

It was six years from PS1 to PS2, six years from PS2 to PS3, seven years from PS3 to PS4, seven years from PS4 to PS5.

Seems fairly consistent if you don’t go by different brands. The only weird thing is the Xbox launched late and the 360 launched early compared to their respective console gens.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The short gap between the Xbox and 360 was because of a licensing thing with NVidia that Microsoft wanted to get rid of.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

is pepsi ok posted:

Anyone got any hot takes on The Forest? Is it just Rust, but spooky?

I struggle to find a reason to give a poo poo about The Forest. It doesn't seem to do anything stand-out. It's just a competent survival game and literally nothing else of note.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I think i stood in line for COD4 at a Best Buy at midnight lol

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cod4 was a good game and felt amazing when you played it for the first time.

And then they made it 5 bazillion times.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

COD 4 was... different. It was an arcadey action shooter that managed to feel modern and grounded and realistic, and I don't think there was anything else that was both comparable and mainstream. I didn't play for long, but hell if I didn't get into it at the time, and I had never before gotten sucked into a game like Modern Warfare.

One of my more distinct university memories was of my roommate (on multiple occasions) reminding me to take a break from COD 4 to eat meals.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
COD4:Modern Warfare was the last self aware Call of Duty, and Modern Warfare 2 from 2009 had the best multiplayer of the entire franchise.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MW2 added those stupid tags that showed up when you killed someone. I couldn't stand it. I did really like playing Spec Op's mode with my buddy though.

Black Ops one was the best COD by far though. Love that Cold War poo poo

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Blops2 had one of the best single player FPS campaigns ever, even if it was at the same time incredibly stupid. So many branching paths and alternate endings though.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Once you unlock Ninja Pro and Cold Blooded Pro in MW2, you no longer show up on enemy radar and you have no audible footsteps. That particular class was a lot of fun to play, especially with a silenced weapon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was so disappointed when I saw Blops2 left the Cold War. Blops is fantastic because it goes whole hog on the dumbass Clancy bullshit that all the others only scratch at

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gaius Marius posted:

I was so disappointed when I saw Blops2 left the Cold War. Blops is fantastic because it goes whole hog on the dumbass Clancy bullshit that all the others only scratch at

It kind of doesn’t though. The game does a bunch of time shifts, so you go from near future war back to cold war and see how it all intertwines. Hell, the story even has callbacks to Blops 1 and CoD: World at War, so they set up a whole dang universe of Clancy bullshit.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Dewgy posted:

Blops2 had one of the best single player FPS campaigns ever, even if it was at the same time incredibly stupid. So many branching paths and alternate endings though.

Ths guy gets it.

CoD 4 was the last CoD game to have dedicated servers. Once that peer to peer poo poo started happening is when I stopped. Gone were the 32 person servers and low lag.

MW2 is when the feature creep really started sith a shitload of cosmetics and random poo poo. Why, back in my day everyone had the same killstreak rewards, and there were only 3, and we liked it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Modern Warfare 2 has a hilarious frenetic campaign. Like, you pull a knife out of yourself and throw it at the baddie at the end, its like something from an 80s action movie. I played it again recently and totally loved it. MW1 was incredible at the time too, I don't think anything like it had ever been made. It has some gameplay hiccups but stuff like Chernobyl was so well done.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

tango alpha delta posted:

Once you unlock Ninja Pro and Cold Blooded Pro in MW2, you no longer show up on enemy radar and you have no audible footsteps. That particular class was a lot of fun to play, especially with a silenced weapon.

Pair that with the the knife + kill-streak smoke grenade and people would just rage quit at the sight of you.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah the explosion of 360 was the most bizarre thing, I didn't avoid the ps3 for any particular reason but everything just funnelled towards the xbox for that generation

Sony had an INCREDIBLY bad E3 before the PS3 launched. Between five hundred and ninety-nine U.S. dollars, RIIIIIIDGE RACER, and giant enemy crabs, they ended up shooting themselves in the foot pretty hard.

It helped that the 360 released a year early and Microsoft went out of their way to court as many developers as possible to the system.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Sony was also super smug about the PS3 early on, and I know that turned me off it, and also that it was 600 loving dollars Jesus christ

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Sony was also super smug about the PS3 early on, and I know that turned me off it, and also that it was 600 loving dollars Jesus christ

Bluray player! The convenience! The savings! The High Definition!!!!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i bought the ps3 because of Demon Souls reviews because i had to know wtf that game was and why everyone liked it so much

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
People outside the US never heard of Xbox until Sony's legendary fumble. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. Bad PR. Weird marketing. Expensive. Weird rear end architecture that was very difficult to develop for. Almost no access to devkits. Etc...

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Any game that takes longer than 1 minute to get into game play can only hope at best to be mediocre. Hey you don't mind sitting here for 8 minutes before you can pick difficulty followed by some more cutscenes right?

Also Horizon you named the protagonist in your robot fauna video game Aloy? Do you think that's clever? For fucks sake.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 29, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The PS3 is pretty much a textbook case of the last gen's winner getting cocky and loving up, while the competitor with everything to gain swoops in and eats their lunch. And then just to drive it home the roles are reversed next gen with the Xbox One having the hilariously alienating launch and emphasising poo poo no one wants while Sony just goes 'This is our new games console'. (and then there's Nintendo, which also kinda qualifies but is also its own special kind of fuckup)

Duck and Cover posted:

Also Horizon you named the protagonist in your robot fauna video game Aloy? Do you think that's clever? For fucks sake.

I'm down with gimmick naming mostly because of Dragon Ball, but also because gently caress, it makes coming up with new names so much easier it's not even funny.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

Any game that takes longer than 1 minute to get into game play can only hope at best to be mediocre. Hey you don't mind sitting here for 8 minutes before you can pick difficulty followed by some more cutscenes right?

This was one of my issues with Necromunda. First you get a prerendered cutscene that's just slow pans across the Underhive while Cal Jericho slowly gives a grimdark monologue. Then when you get into the game itself you are frozen and have to stand in an elevator listening to two random mooks planning the first mission. A game that's supposed to be a mix of Bulletstorm and not poo poo Borderlands has no right to pull something like that.
At least once you finally get to shoot stuff it gets proper good if you just want to murder hundreds of British punks while zipping around like a mad bastard.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Mario Kart 8 has no soul. It's sterile and barren. No joy in winning. No goal. Nothing. What happens when you win? Just a screen with a trophy. Winning a tournament is not much different from clicking submit on a business application. Utterly soulless.

CTR has more soul in its first five minutes than that whole game.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
The original Mario Kart had a podium, confetti, a blimp, balloons, and frikkin champagne. MK8 is such a downgrade.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And Peach in the Japanese version getting immediately plastered on said champagne!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Crash team racing was always preferable to Mario kart

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Crash team racing was always preferable to Mario kart

This isnt true since there was no crash team racing around the time of the original mario kart

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

This isnt true since there was no crash team racing around the time of the original mario kart

True fridge but it seemed like everyone had a mega drive and no-one had snes when I was a kid.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Workaday Wizard posted:

The original Mario Kart had a podium, confetti, a blimp, balloons, and frikkin champagne. MK8 is such a downgrade.

And a little parade of the winners going to the podium. You can't forget the parade.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mario kart Wii is the best and most HARDCORE Mario kart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Mario Kart 8 has some of the best music in video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rD-tdEFKlg