Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Trials of Fire is really good. A bit heavy at first as there are a few systems to get used to, but once it clicks, it's hard to put down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Flavahbeast posted:

cave story is still recent right

Not a Metroidvania!!!! :argh:

I will die on this hill!!!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

John Murdoch posted:

Not a Metroidvania!!!! :argh:

Why not?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Donnerberg posted:

Are there any recent Metroidvanias with more Metroid than vania? Guns instead of swords.

Mini Doom 2?

https://calaverastudio.itch.io/minidoom2

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Palpek posted:

I didn't notice, I was frustrated by the gameplay too much.

Anyway, any solid solitaire recommendations other than Fairy Solitaire and Fairway Solitaire itt?

I noticed The Solitaire Conspiracy but it seems a bit ridiculous to have a serious solitaire game complete with character bios of every card and fmv cutscenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF_uYivDquM

I dunno, on the other hand I might get it just because of that.

I loved this game and it’s a steal at $6. They just added some new missions and I believe they are working on adding more. The FMVs are just the right level of corny/self-aware.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

victrix posted:

Is there a browser addon that can show average playtime from reviewers for any given game you're viewing?

This is a cool idea. I don't think any of the Steam trackers out there look at this info specifically. It would require a lot of website scraping because reviews aren't offered as part of an API, as far as I know - you'd need a bot to fully scroll down through every single game's store page and then grab the playtime data. For some games, that's a whole lot of scraping and ensuring you're not logging duplicate info.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

While it has various secrets and some light backtracking in spots, on the whole it's not oriented around mapping out an open world and gaining new abilities to better traverse that open world. The overall structure is story-focused and linear in a level-by-level way.

Also as must be customary when Cave Story is mentioned: gently caress Nicalis.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Palpek posted:

I didn't notice, I was frustrated by the gameplay too much.

Anyway, any solid solitaire recommendations other than Fairy Solitaire and Fairway Solitaire itt?

I noticed The Solitaire Conspiracy but it seems a bit ridiculous to have a serious solitaire game complete with character bios of every card and fmv cutscenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF_uYivDquM

I dunno, on the other hand I might get it just because of that.

Regency Solitaire is great fun, as is the same company's (Grey Alien) Shadowhand (currently on sale for $3.74 and definitely worth it). The plots and the art are engaging, the layouts are increasingly taxing, and I replayed on the higher levels of difficulty because I was having fun. Also the dealing noises are nifty.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Ciaphas posted:

Someone sell me on RDR2 online. Any fun to be had there, especially as a non-whale?

Just like in GTA: Online, be prepared to get sniped from miles away from a 14-year-old kid. This time, he'll be on a horse, butt-rear end naked, and using a pea shooter.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can you climb to the top of a volcano, make gunpowder from bat poo poo and piss, and use it to slay hundreds of Apaches?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

yeah any time I've tried to do any mission where I need to make a big cart go somewhere it just summons some guy who fills it with dynamite and blows it up so I can't make four dollars in a world where pants cost three hundred dollars and have level restrictions for some reason

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I haven't played it yet because Titan Quest is really good, but shoutout to this game existing:

NovaMundi: The Spear of Chaqun

quote:

NovaMundi: The Spear of Chaquén is a Historical Strategy Sim set in a beautiful and perilous land of mountains and jungles inspired by the geography of South America and its indigenous cultures. Your goal is to unite the Muisca people to repel the Spanish invasion of the Andean highlands.

As you explore the land, you will meet with the ever-increasing threat of the hostile Panche and Muzo tribes and the Spanish invasion force. Lead your party and avoid losing your way in the jungle, recruiting new members while your veteran units become stronger. Discover the location of the Muisca towns, and convince their people to join the fight.

New adventures await you every time, as the game world is generated procedurally with unique variations and challenges.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

victrix posted:

Is there a browser addon that can show average playtime from reviewers for any given game you're viewing?

Augmented Steam can show the average playtime data from steamspy.
For example, here's the data from Hades:

And here's the data for Dandara:

It also has some other nice features, like showing the current and all-time-lowest price from isthereanydeal so you can see if a game is cheaper somewhere other than Steam.
The online playercount is really nice too if you're thinking about buying a multiplayer-only game and want to know how easy it'll be to find matches.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 28, 2021

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Donnerberg posted:

Are there any recent Metroidvanias with more Metroid than vania? Guns instead of swords.

Can't recommend Vision: Soft Reset enough. An indie game with a time-traveling gimmick, it's about the length of a standard Metroid (not terrifically long, but doesn't break things up with tedium), and you have a gun with various upgrades, some optional and others mandatory for progression.

The time-traveling gimmick is long-term, too; you have twenty minutes to explore and find upgrades before the planet you're on explodes. Then you start over, with new upgrades allowing access to new areas. It sounds like the kind of thing that could get annoying, but I never found myself struggling or blocked because of it; your mileage may vary. You also build your own timeline tree and can travel to any save point you hit at any time in the game, which makes sure you're never stuck:

Bad news: the devs didn't have the foresight to be on sale now, during this most holiest of sales. Good news: It's only ten bucks, and you might even have it already if you got that BLM itch.io bundle a while back.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Brocktoon posted:

I loved this game and it’s a steal at $6. They just added some new missions and I believe they are working on adding more. The FMVs are just the right level of corny/self-aware.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Regency Solitaire is great fun, as is the same company's (Grey Alien) Shadowhand (currently on sale for $3.74 and definitely worth it). The plots and the art are engaging, the layouts are increasingly taxing, and I replayed on the higher levels of difficulty because I was having fun. Also the dealing noises are nifty.
Alright, thanks I think I'll get some/all of those to get rid of the Harvest aftertaste.

I'll probably also get this one because of how different and stylish it seems: Comrades and Barons: Solitaire of Bloody 1919.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9VQ9iDGrAU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

Alright, thanks I think I'll get some/all of those to get rid of the Harvest aftertaste.

I'll probably also get this one because of how different and stylish it seems: Comrades and Barons: Solitaire of Bloody 1919.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9VQ9iDGrAU

Report back on that one, I've had it on my wishlist for literal years but can't make myself remove it or buy it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Any of you heard about this game called Niche - a genetics survival game?

I'd really like to know if anyone else here has played this game and what their thoughts on it are.

It's one of those games I loved the concept for a lot more than the execution. There was this combo of high-stress because of a constantly ticking death timer, really encouraging you to make every move count, but also it was not an exciting pressure and doing things right was pretty tedious and slow, plus still subject to random bad luck. Sometimes you'd invest a lot into a creature but then you have to abandon in because of time pressure or distance or some little loving thing taking 1 turn too long to complete. Then if you lost you basically had to start over doing the most tedious and basic parts all over again. I'd say it was worth a play around a few times, if cheap enough or included in some bundle, but probably not worth buying specifically. It's possible the game opens up massively after the first stages of the game, but I put several hours in and it mostly seemed to be more and more of the same, but bigger/harder.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Far Cry 5. I know the story is complete poo poo and you somehow get kidnapped nine times in a row, but as a brainless open-world shooter for 8 bucks?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Far Cry 5. I know the story is complete poo poo and you somehow get kidnapped nine times in a row, but as a brainless open-world shooter for 8 bucks?

For $8 you can do some real solid shenanigans, and even better if you co-op with another shenanigan-loving friend (which I believe also disables the drug kidnapping scenes, so extra good).

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

If you've played any Far Cry since 3, you'll know if you'll like 5.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pleads posted:

For $8 you can do some real solid shenanigans, and even better if you co-op with another shenanigan-loving friend (which I believe also disables the drug kidnapping scenes, so extra good).

It does not disable the drug kidnapping scenes, but it does make them extra funny as you absolutely annihilate an army of dudes with zero challenge.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

I played through it a couple of months ago and thought it was complete garbage. If you want a recommendation, Horizon Zero Dawn is easily my favourite open-world game.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I bought Zombie Army 4, since it's on Steam now, and all it's DLC , even though all the DLC *on sale* is still much more expensive than the base game on sale. Feels like some real dirty diminishing returns poo poo, but I love ZA4 and all the other stuff the developer does.

I played the poo poo out of ZA4 on PS4 last year, which supports KB&M and runs 60. Now I can play at 120.

The base game is also on game pass, BTW.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
Any opinions on Lux, City of Secrets?

I just finished the previous game but the mixed rating on steam is putting me off.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
My only reason to replay Far Cry 5 would be for the fishing.
Best fishing ever.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
You get a companion Grizzly Bear named Cheeseburger. You can pet him.

I'd call that worth 8 bucks.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Yes. The forced story parts are annoying but you know exactly when one is coming and you can skip most of the story scenes. The actual missions you have to do to get back to the open world are short and easy

I was expecting so much worse after reading all the complaints about it here

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

There is a Far Cry 5 spinoff (new dawn) that has the same map but, if I recall correctly, significantly less cutscenes and random kidnappings. I got it cheap a year or so ago and had some fun with it, so it might be an option.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

The map is a lot smaller in New Dawn which may be a good thing. Id say maybe 1/3rd the accessible land. Im pretty sure i got 100% in both games but only started getting burned out near the end with 5 not New Dawn.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kly posted:

The map is a lot smaller in New Dawn which may be a good thing. Id say maybe 1/3rd the accessible land. Im pretty sure i got 100% in both games but only started getting burned out near the end with 5 not New Dawn.

New Dawn also had those raid maps which were fun in co op.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I literally just finished 5 and New Dawn in a row over the past couple days, and yeah, I'd say skip 5 and go straight to ND. It's a tighter experience, and more enjoyable because of it.

The story sucks, but that's par for the course with Far Cry.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
New Dawn also (mechanics for 1/2 way through the game spoiler) has superpowers.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

OgNar posted:

My only reason to replay Far Cry 5 would be for the fishing.
Best fishing ever.

Unless you're using a mouse.

My problem with Far Cry 5 is that by making each of the 3 regions its own independent story that you can start and stop (mostly) any time you want that means that everything in each region has to completely separate from the others. So instead of 1 big okay game like Far Cry 3 and 4 it felt like 3 small worse games in Far Cry 5. This also means that all of the side quests in each district don't connect to anything outside of it so even the side stuff you can do feels small and insignificant.

All the usual stuff is there though if you don't care about anything I just typed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Augmented Steam can show the average playtime data from steamspy.
For example, here's the data from Hades:

And here's the data for Dandara:

It also has some other nice features, like showing the current and all-time-lowest price from isthereanydeal so you can see if a game is cheaper somewhere other than Steam.
The online playercount is really nice too if you're thinking about buying a multiplayer-only game and want to know how easy it'll be to find matches.

Perfect, thank you.

I have a feeling average playtime is more useful than reviews on certain games.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Speaking of Metroidvanias with Guns, there was an indie metroidvania a decade ago when called Project Black Sun, back then they weren't a dime a dozen and it was pretty much this and Shadow Complex and that's it. The game went up on Desura (lol) and Gamersgate in a mostly completed state and it got greenlighted on Steam but something happened and now it's not available for purchase anywhere anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaTkNYKVsB0

Now that the original Momodoras are on itch.io, it seems Project Black Sun is truly the last, lost Metroidvania

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
how is Project Zomboid? looks kind of interesting openworld exploration game

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Palpek posted:

The Zombie Solitaire games are pretty good, so long as you don't mind the cartoon zombie aspect of it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

On the topic of pew pew metroidvanias, I checked its KS and Ghost Song was estimated to be released in 2014, which, lol. Apparently it just got an update in March 2021 though so not completely dead?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Gromit posted:

The Zombie Solitaire games are pretty good, so long as you don't mind the cartoon zombie aspect of it.

There's also a way to install the classic Microsoft games, if it's really just getting away from the horrors of the new Solitaire that you want: https://win7games.com/#games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

err posted:

how is Project Zomboid? looks kind of interesting openworld exploration game

It's amazing, easily one of the two best zombie games ever made. It's a slow-paced solo survival zombie game in an isometric world where you explore a small American town post-Apocalypse. The zombies are slow but one bite WILL infect you, and you have to scavenge and secure a building and get ready for everything to keep being awful, as the electricity and water will eventually get cut off. Super atmospheric and tense, with a great map to explore.

The other best zombie game is State of Decay 2, which is fast zombies with powers as you build up a settlement and it's fun and fast and tense!

(And then there's Days Gone is a close race for second place, as it's just amazing)