Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
5 is more granular than 10, and 5 is also bigger than 1.

There, the logic behind the choice. Five allows for twice as many steps as ten, while leading to larger numbers than one would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Adding multiples of five is cleaner too, for some reason my dumb brain blanks for a second when mentally calculating things like 155 + (2x7) + (3x3) + 2, but keeping it in fives goes through fine.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

BaronVanAwesome posted:

It always makes me laugh in games where they go the opposite way - "This monster has 8000 power vs. this one's 10000!"

(They never use those extra digits)

Saga goes the other way, an army is 4 to 8 points. 1 point = one unit of dudes.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Did a Rockgut. Not sure how much I like the colors though. Might have another go.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Floppychop posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/25/designers-notes-how-points-changes-make-the-new-edition-more-balanced-than-ever/

So if they're is having points only being granular "by a factor of 5" why bother having 5 points be the smallest increment? Why not just divide everything by 5 and have one point be the smallest increment?

This was one of their goals with the 40K 9e update: The smallest a unit could cost was 5, and everything else was updated to end in a 0 or 5. One exception was some weapon options, I think could still cost 1 or 2 points in some cases. But, they're slowly chipping away at that ideal, as they need to fine tune the balance. I think the idea is nice, making the numbers simpler, and it makes for an okay refresh point, but when it comes to actively balancing dozens of army, 5 points (multiplied per model) becomes too large of a tuning knob after a while.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Winklebottom posted:

Did a Rockgut. Not sure how much I like the colors though. Might have another go.

Troll looking good! The black nails work really well.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

BaronVanAwesome posted:

It always makes me laugh in games where they go the opposite way - "This monster has 8000 power vs. this one's 10000!"

(They never use those extra digits)

Blood Bowl is very guilty of that.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
any Aus goons, mperor.cc has limited copies of cursed city at rrp

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We got another new book for Soulbound for those interested in the RPG.

https://www.cubicle7games.com/news-events/

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

MonsterEnvy posted:

We got another new book for Soulbound for those interested in the RPG.

https://www.cubicle7games.com/news-events/

How is the RPG anyway?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Lucinice posted:

How is the RPG anyway?

People said its like a one-shotty superhero game and its not.

It isn't very progression focused and you start very powerful, playing as whatever a step below the Stormcast Eternals are in terms of power. I'd say you're about as powerful as a member of the Ubersreik five from VT2 on champion in that you can kill lotta guys but can go down really fast, with you easily butchering most foes but letting an enemy hit you is like getting hit by a mac truck. Our session felt very rocket taggy (tag with rocket launchers). You get metacurrency to break it in your favor for extra attacks and you need to. Hitting enemies is largely a formality most of the time and weapon damage is determined by # of successes with your attack roll.

Spell can misfire, turn endless and kill your rear end as well as well. Currency is drops of magic healing water which can be consumed for healing or spent for the memes and overall bookkeeping is less important than metacurrency managemrnt and teamwork. For example, combat range is just done by zone. Short zone medium zone, etc. Oddly beer n pretzle-y. in general an excellent system for action focused Warhammer AoS campaigns but bad for OSR campaigns or 5E build planning. Order factions are the only races you can play but they're adding in more soon.

And theres a lot of "pronoun stuff" so if you're like a recently unfriended player who cant see a Xe or Xir without blowing a gasket you will go insane. It's very subtle most of the time but one of the starter set chars is an enby. Hope this helped!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lucinice posted:

How is the RPG anyway?

Very fun, it’s just a good system. Mors Rattus did a great run through of it in Fatal and Friends if you want some better insight then I could give.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I've seen some discussion about Faction rules in 3.0, and I haven't found any good answers for this: How does Legion of the First Prince work in 3.0? The rule says the only units you can include must have the Chaos Daemon keyword, not that all daemons become free to use (cause 2.0 Grand Alliances didn't care about that). Only after you pick them, would they technically gain the "Legion of the First Prince" keyword. So, since Legion of the First Prince doesn't have a battletome list of units, and there's no rule like "you can use units from the Khorne/Slaanesh/etc Faction," It seems like RAW, this shouldn't work anymore in 3.0

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I played a demo game of 3.0 with my local Warhammer store's manager. He played the new storm cast and I played my Clan Skryre Skaven.

The Rally command ability is really, really good

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Floppychop posted:

I played a demo game of 3.0 with my local Warhammer store's manager. He played the new storm cast and I played my Clan Skryre Skaven.

The Rally command ability is really, really good
How did you feel about the game in general while playing? Especially in comparison with 2nd edition. Slower? Faster? Cramped?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Talas posted:

How did you feel about the game in general while playing? Especially in comparison with 2nd edition. Slower? Faster? Cramped?

It's probably going to tend towards slower since players have command abilities they can use in each of their or their opponent's phases.

It felt good I guess? A lot more options to effect stuff on your opponent's turn so you feel like you have more control. Helps to blunt the double turn.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Desfore posted:

I've seen some discussion about Faction rules in 3.0, and I haven't found any good answers for this: How does Legion of the First Prince work in 3.0? The rule says the only units you can include must have the Chaos Daemon keyword, not that all daemons become free to use (cause 2.0 Grand Alliances didn't care about that). Only after you pick them, would they technically gain the "Legion of the First Prince" keyword. So, since Legion of the First Prince doesn't have a battletome list of units, and there's no rule like "you can use units from the Khorne/Slaanesh/etc Faction," It seems like RAW, this shouldn't work anymore in 3.0

There isn’t a clear answer for how it works yet, since that will probably need to be addressed in a FAQ. But Broken Realms Belakor is a legal book and has rules for his legion, so it’s pretty clear that it should work.

Also I got two quick games of AoS 3 in with my quad Mega-Gargants list against a good (for 2.0) Lumineth list. It was fun but neither game got past round two as it became clear that he just didn’t have the early damage output to prevent me from racking up VPs or keep me from charging into him with a Their Finest Hour, All-out-attack mega-gargant every turn.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Talas posted:

I got an 800 pt. game in a couple weeks ago and liked it a lot. The new hero and command abilities are very strong. We probably ran longer than normal but it didn't feel like it since the opponent's turn has plenty of opportunities for you to interject with a CA. I played SCE versus proxied Kruleboyz and did decently before getting utterly annihilated by their mortal wound spam. Those crossbow guys might end up being a problem lol.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Does anybody have any recommendations for good sources on decorative bits for kitbashing? Like I'm going to do my own chaos warshrine and would love chaos-themed bits to help decorate it without having to scratch build every part, and the same thing for Daughters of Khaine stuff.

3d printable stuff would also be fine since I have a good resin printer.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

It's a rather one track-thing (aside from the variations), but https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Citadel-Skulls-2017 will give you all the skulls you could ever need.

As a bonus, it goes well with both Chaos and DoK imho.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It looks me and some friends are getting in on this. Are larger bases an advantage or disadvantage? I ask because I'd like to use the Chaos Warriors I bought on a whim as Grave Guard. My friends won't really care, but I'd like to keep it fair.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

smug jeebus posted:

It looks me and some friends are getting in on this. Are larger bases an advantage or disadvantage? I ask because I'd like to use the Chaos Warriors I bought on a whim as Grave Guard. My friends won't really care, but I'd like to keep it fair.

Its a pretty big disadvantage in your case, since units of 6+ models have to keep each model within 1" of two other models. Grave Guard normally come on 25mm bases, which are smaller than that inch and let you more easily get everyone in melee weapon range. So they'll be less effective on the 32mm chaos warrior bases.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

smug jeebus posted:

Figure five models on 25 mm bases can cover about 9 inches in a line. Five models on 32 mm bases will cover about 10.3 inches in a line. It's not really a lot, and probably doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

God bless the flgs that don't know the street date.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Considering getting into AoS and I’m fairly drawn towards the Kharadran Overlords. I’ve got the start collecting box, the admiral and Gundriks Profiteers from Warhammer Underworlds.
Is the big ship worth getting? Anything else worth grabbing for a starter force?

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

Pyrolocutus posted:

It's a rather one track-thing (aside from the variations), but https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Citadel-Skulls-2017 will give you all the skulls you could ever need.

As a bonus, it goes well with both Chaos and DoK imho.

Haha, thanks! I've got two boxes already. They're truly the swiss army knife of basing supplies. Now I just need like... a way to get chaos spiky bits and symbols and such.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

HidaO-Win posted:

Considering getting into AoS and I’m fairly drawn towards the Kharadran Overlords. I’ve got the start collecting box, the admiral and Gundriks Profiteers from Warhammer Underworlds.
Is the big ship worth getting? Anything else worth grabbing for a starter force?

The ironclad is fantastic and a lynchpin of the most effective way to play them in 2.0 afaik. Really awesome model as well.

Pick up at least a box of arkanauts for some cheap battleline and maybe also a box of Skywardens/Endrinriggers? (That would bring you to six with the SC box). Most lists I have seen use an Aether-Khemisf and/or a Navigator; however, other people in this thread know this army much better than me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The admiral sucks but I take him every time so he can stand on the bow of my Ironclad the Heavy Metal Queen and hit people with his hammer. Also you can't expect multiple skyships to operate efficiently without competent leadership it's just common sense.

I don't have any arkanauts and play Barak Zilfin. My battle line is always a selection of endrinriggers under a balloon endrinmaster and a frigate (I sometimes take two frigates for maximum boat even though this is not "efficient"). The rest is an Ironclad, one or two gunhaulers and thunderers.

My favourite way to play is Ironclad with ten thunderers and an admiral, two frigates with five thunderers on each, balloon boss and endrinriggers. It's not considered a good list until the entire thing redeploys and annihilates a third of the opponent's army in one turn while remaining safe from reprisals.

Everything KO can take is good. The khemist with spell in a bottle is notorious and a standout. An Ironclad with a harpoon and deal-breaker ram owns as does the Last Word cannon. Gunhauler spam is good and they have some good upgrades. Arkanauts are actually pretty decent for their points and the only reason I don't take them is because it's more important that I have all the guns. The only really weak unit is probably skywardens and that's only because they're geared to do something the rest of your army isn't (being close combat*) and their upgrades make them multirole which is underwhelming.

*unless you class ramming poo poo with a boat and dropping bombs on it as close combat, in which case the army is pretty good at close combat.

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 30, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

KO are great, and 3.0 is patching one of the bigger weaknesses of non-Nar armies by adding greater ability to counter spells with heroic actions. Your big fear is mortal wounds.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Awesome advice guys. I’m considering another start collecting box and an ironclad. I’m an awful painter, but I’ll either try purple and gold, or orange, black and silver.

Cheers again.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

HidaO-Win posted:

Awesome advice guys. I’m considering another start collecting box and an ironclad. I’m an awful painter, but I’ll either try purple and gold, or orange, black and silver.

Cheers again.

how are th maggotkin of Nurgle? my lady wants to buy a Great Unclean One and paint it. I've heard Demon armies can be used in 40k as well....

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

how are th maggotkin of Nurgle? my lady wants to buy a Great Unclean One and paint it. I've heard Demon armies can be used in 40k as well....

A little outdated but their gimmick is solid and built on a bedrock of decent units.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Good news, some rumors say that Nurgle is on the shortlist to get a new battletome. Bad news, the rumors are from 4chan.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They re probably just listing the armies that didn't get a 2nd ed tome, which isn't a bad way to predict who'll get one in the next 18 months.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Talas posted:

Good news, some rumors say that Nurgle is on the shortlist to get a new battletome. Bad news, the rumors are from 4chan.

the rumors are oddly solid on the /tg/ side and their analysis of Age of Sigmar's reason for existence is decent.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

the rumors are oddly solid on the /tg/ side and their analysis of Age of Sigmar's reason for existence is decent.

I've been hanging out on /tg/ and I never heard why they think AoS exists

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

They were actually doing really well in the competitive scene there at the end of 2.0 thanks to the Blight Cyst batallion and huge blocks of Putrid Blightlords, but 3.0 blew up both of those things so they're probably back to being pretty bad until the next battletome hits.

That being said, a Great Unclean One is pretty much always gonna be solid in both "human" and demon Maggotkin lists, so if you like the army and don't care too much about it being mediocre in the short term, it's hard to go wrong with one.

Also I dunno how they fare in 40k but the demon-based Nurgle lists in AoS were considerably less impressive than the Blightking-heavy lists, I'd say.

edit: Also worth keeping in mind that being on the 3.0 shortlist for new battletomes is both a blessing and a curse - the early books are generally kinda busted for a bit while everyone else is still stuck in 2.0, but then rapidly get outclassed by the inevitable power creep and end up being some of the weakest books in the long-term, and then you're stuck hoping they get some random update or a new battalion in a copy of White Dwarf or something.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 1, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

AnEdgelord posted:

I've been hanging out on /tg/ and I never heard why they think AoS exists

Discussion from when ToW was announced.

Which makes some good points. The main one being that "WHFB wasn't selling" seems to be a meme on the level of "William Shatner actively bullied people on the set of Star Trek and threatened to get people thrown off the show" bullshit.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
It’s always annoyed me that people were so quick to point to how popular aos was compared to wfb, when there is no indication that was actually the case, other than GW marketing, and even they were reluctant. More importantly there was a general increase in the popularly of miniature war game. 40k skyrocketed into ‘out of this world’ popular; in the same time period as aos has been doing ‘fine’. Like, there is a control comparison right there. The scifi version of the same game is exploding in popularly, several other miniature war games (including fantasy games) become very popular, while the aos is just doing fine.

I don’t think wfb would have been more popular at all though (without massive changes), and personally I think aos is vastly superior for game mechanics - except for the double turn, which in 3.0, after several games now, still sucks and hasn’t really changed in any appreciable manner - it’s just weird how people are so insistent that aos is so much more successful when there is no evidence of this, and in fact has been more or less unchanged in popularly in a period where there has been an explosion in miniature war games in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Discussion from when ToW was announced.

Which makes some good points. The main one being that "WHFB wasn't selling" seems to be a meme on the level of "William Shatner actively bullied people on the set of Star Trek and threatened to get people thrown off the show" bullshit.

I'm not sure if that first guy knows what "first hand" means: people reporting their own experiences. As he also says there's no official data, then it's absolutely fine for people to refer to their own lived experiences. But it's also absolutely true that fantasy didn't sell as well as 40K, this isn't imagining up a talking point, it's just a statement of how things were.