Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rah! posted:

*elizondo voice*

wait until this baby hits aitee miles per hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It kinda sounds like the spaceship equivalent of the spray bottle "skitter out of here you"

If you can burn 10% of a body with a beam why not a hole or 100%

yeah whatever it was, it was definitely not intending to kill or maim as a primary purpose, but definitely seemed at least indifferent to such outcomes happening, assuming any intelligence is behind them of course

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

An arthropod colony mind could observe billions of individuals per week??? for mutations conducive to arthropod space ship construction

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

interest in humanity does not imply giving a poo poo about individual humans

there's eight billion of us running around, stripping away our own social constructs any one human is entirely irrelevant

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Wheeee posted:

interest in humanity does not imply giving a poo poo about individual humans

there's eight billion of us running around, stripping away our own social constructs any one human is entirely irrelevant

Just finished an okay scifi novel from 1982 called The Hunters by Jack Lovejoy: aliens come down and gas 99% of humanity, then the setting is 400 years later as the remaining humans living in squalor piece together their history. Spoilers for this old book but the aliens have turned earth into a big game preserve for predators from across the galaxy, and done some genetic work on captured humans to make basically the equivalent of hunting dogs. The author did a good job in showing how little we meant to the aliens, in the same way where you might not smash every single fly that gets stuck in your house or you might decide to hang a fly strip up, or you might be a sadistic kid that holds a fly down and tears its wings off. Or maybe a better comparison is you're a stray dog that sneaks into a game preserve and gets eaten by a lion. Anyways they killed off 99% of us but didn't care about finishing the job because that's not the point, they just needed the space.

The aliens are these big mollusk lookin dudes who need mech suits on Earth, very inscrutable. I'm always a fan of alien dentists on safari though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe that’s where the trilobites went ???!??

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hmm put up or gently caress off Lue

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

lue is on thin ice mister

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

hmm put up or gently caress off Lue

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

the ion storm is coming ;-)

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
https://twitter.com/CrewcutYoutube/status/1409519422885216262?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/retronewsnow/status/1409648976761036801?s=21

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Endless Trash posted:

the ion storm is coming ;-)

lueanon

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1409632952653393920?s=20

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Interglacial period was more recent than biologically modern (or maybe close enough) humans. And of course an ancient (truly nonhuman) civilization on earth could be much older than a million years and still have left virtually no fossil or geological record if it was for about as long a period as our own civilization so far.

It would have left a characteristic rise in CO2 in a span of hundreds vs hundreds of thousands of years + a layer of plastic everywhere if a global technological civilization.

If it was just like a bunch of iron-age cities or something, yeah we’d never know.

If only a million years, we might have noticed that certain minerals were already mined out of the ground where they should have been.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I don't know, I'm pretty suspicious of bismuth

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

NASA is done waiting for the rest of us to catch up and I am glad to see it

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

maybe what we perceive as natural scarcity is just because a bunch of assholes strip-mined this place before us :tinfoil:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

humanity: the last in an extremely long line of assholes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

evidence of any kind of metal work would be in ice cores

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I'm joking but also ice cores only go what, 2 million years back?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The oldest continuous ice core records extend to 130,000 years in Greenland, and 800,000 years in Antarctica.

https://icecores.org/about-ice-cores

welp that isn’t long at all !!!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lmao has this idiot even heard of thunderf00t and mick west

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This supposed precursor civilization didn't use up the oil or leave immediate ancestors in the geological record.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Apparently a new video is gonna show a UAP formation tomorrow.
Buy in early

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

maybe their economy ran on first press dinosaur oil and only the ones that could fly survived, ever think of that? :colbert:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The widespread use of fossil fuels apparently affects the carbon-13 ratios used in radiocarbon dating, so we’d see them that way and somebody else might see us that way.

Also the sedimentary layer of microplastics and rare earth metals used in electronics mentioned earlier.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this is why my sentient arthropod colony with genetic engineering powers is key to the mystery !!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ratios and Tendency posted:

This supposed precursor civilization didn't use up the oil or leave immediate ancestors in the geological record.

yeah, there's a reason that advanced civilization poo poo always comes packaged up with a variety of vaguely racist/antisemitic NWO poo poo

it requires a massive organized worldwide coverup because there's literally no way we couldn't detect something like that in a myriad of ways that would be impossible to ignore

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ratios and Tendency posted:

loving Denisovans have a lot to answer for!

that's why there are so few fossils--cancelled on a geologic scale

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

there aren't any fossils of the ancient civilization because their own paleontologists already dug up all the fossils

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

The hosts of this podcast are alt-right dbags

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rickshaw posted:

The hosts of this podcast are alt-right dbags

yeah seriously. no reason to ever talk about their bullshit anymore. they used to be cool but they went hard right in the last few years

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

MUFON is really sketchy

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3azpj9/head-of-major-ufo-organization-arrested-on-child-solicitation-charges

NUFORC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Shear Modulus posted:

there aren't any fossils of the ancient civilization because their own paleontologists already dug up all the fossils

we too have a rich history of grave robbing

https://www.livescience.com/medieval-graves-reopened.html

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MUFON was poo poo before that too. John Ventre is a big wheel and after his racism blew up in the aftermath of Trump, they tried to hide him for a while but now they're just openly putting him on conferences and whatnot again because anyone who gives a poo poo abandoned that trashfire of an organization already.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

NUFORC posted:

Occurred : 7/15/1974 02:00
Reported: 6/5/2004 8:09:13 PM
[...]
my reply was afirmitive Con I have visual! The reply was stand-by Sigs ! I turned picked up my coffee and heard footsteps behind me from the ladder leading up from the bridge. Within 10 minutes, I had the captian,the XO, the flight boss and what had to be 8 or 10 officers from IOIC ( ships Intel.) All on my bridge. For the next 20 minutes we all watched as this thing moved back and forth across the bow of the ship at what had to be from 60 up to over 100 miles an hour cutting a zig zag pattern back and forth in front of the ship all this under water! at one point it stopped directly in our path and allowed us to come within about 4 miles of it. Suddenly it pulled away like we were parked and disapeared into the depths.
[...]

e: apparently that specific link is killed by quoting it, here's the working link http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/037/S37401.html

WEH has issued a correction as of 02:31 on Jun 29, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rah! posted:

:supaburn:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/space/aliens-ufos/ufo-burn.htm

A witness who stood particularly close to it contracted a "sunburn." In the early morning hours of November 6, outside Merom, Indiana, a hovering UFO, which bathed his farm in light, also seriously burned René Gilham's face. He ended up spending two days in the hospital.

this happens in Close Encounters I wonder if it’s an homage

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Penguin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

i am harry posted:

this happens in Close Encounters I wonder if it’s an homage

absolutely