Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I mean yes, inquiries are absolutely needed and none too gentle either, buuuutttt: toppling statues is constructive whether people have the stomach for it or not. By removing these venerations of terrible people and not replacing them, you can at least avoid the next generation thinking these jerks are to be celebrated.

Might've been the bit addressed by "mostly" though. Hope you're staying cool today

Ya I am not with him on the statues. Rip the things down. Let’s elevate ideas and ideals and not people.

Although we could never actually prosecute any of these people we can have them testify about how they either chose to be ignorant about what was going on or were
Ok with it and then we strip their orders of Canada and all the other poo poo these ghouls heaped themselves with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

“Hi, yes. I’d like to order a pizza to 420 Disarm and Defund The Police lane”

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Vintersorg posted:

If you haven't already get some blackout blinds. You can get some for the cheap at like Giant Tiger or Wal-mart.

While not useless, I will say that by the time blackouts are doing anything the heat is already in the house. It slows it down but the blinds will heat up as well as the air trapped between them and the window and then it radiates into the room as well as some of the hot air escaping around the edges.
We have a skylight style window in our bedroom (inside the roofline of the house) with blackout blinds. You can feel the heat radiating from the blinds by fairly early in the morning. I de-crystallized some honey by putting it in the window sill, highly effective.

To be most effective you're going to want something on the outside to stop the solar radiation in the first place. But I know that's not really plausible to do for most people.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Just about fell out of my chair when I found myself mostly agreeing with Jerry loving Agar in the sun of all things.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/agar-plenty-of-living-political-leaders-who-should-answer-for-residential-schools

Yeah, he's not wrong but one still gets the vibe that he was really driven to write this because he's upset about statues. Like, we can do both lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Cover the windows in tinfoil, to prevent the government from reading your thoughts AND ALSO reflect sunlight :v:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

PT6A posted:

Cover the windows in tinfoil, to prevent the government from reading your thoughts AND ALSO reflect sunlight :v:

Before covering the window, fill the tinfoil up with some Graham crackers, marshmallows, and some milk chocolate. That way you can be paranoid and have a good snack

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The ants are often problematic though.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

I used a space blanket+ duct tape and it was very effective yesterday

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Today is 14 days from my second shot, I'm glad climate change is rearing its ugly head for me to doom and gloom about just as I achieve COVID immunity.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

infernal machines posted:

The ants are often problematic though.

Can't be any more problematic than the government so I'll give those homies a pass. Also if they step out of line they can also be covered in chocolate

Real talk downtown St. John's is lined with outdoor restaurant seating and we're having a pedestrian mall there as well, which was incredibly popular last year. Tentatively excited for the summer

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
It seems like Ontario is going to vaccinate close to 2 million people this week, and cases are the lowest they've been since last summer

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The extra cases being count from 2020 miscounts does give me hope that we've gotten through the backlog and the low case counts have given the tally recorders time to go back and play catch up.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Duck Rodgers posted:

It seems like Ontario is going to vaccinate close to 2 million people this week, and cases are the lowest they've been since last summer

I think we may actually vaccinate our way out of this mess. Although looking at Israel we'll probably need to keep some level of restrictions and masking for a long while yet. I bought tickets to see Men I Trust in November, but I'm not super confident it'll happen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do think we'll be able to hit a high water mark for vaccinations so I'm hoping that we start focusing on getting the under 18s protected before they get rushed back into school in the fall.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do think we'll be able to hit a high water mark for vaccinations so I'm hoping that we start focusing on getting the under 18s protected before they get rushed back into school in the fall.

12-18 are gonna be fully vaxxed up by then, probably at a higher rate than those in their 20s and 30s

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Any idea what the timeline is for the 5 to 12 group? Would be good to get them vaccinated before school starts

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Duck Rodgers posted:

Any idea what the timeline is for the 5 to 12 group? Would be good to get them vaccinated before school starts

We're waiting on the data from trials, which should be in by late summer, and then Health Canada has to review and approve it.

It has to do with how the studies are done. I'm not an expert but as I understand a certain number of children in the placebo group have to catch COVID before the data can be considered complete. If enough of those kids tested positive this week, then the data would be complete much sooner.

Before schools starts is optimistic, but I think the 6-12 cohort getting shots by Canadian thanksgiving is realistic. The good news is we won't be waiting on vaccines, at that point we should have freezers full ready to go immediately.

e: to reiterate I am not an expert.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 29, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Onto stage 2 tomorrow in Ontario. Still can't go to the gym which is frustrating when it's either scorching or raining outdoors.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm all for keeping fitness classes outdoor only for a while longer but you should be able to let like 25% capacity into a gym with masks at this point. I don't even work out in a gym but it just seems like we have so many other places that are worse for spread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That outbreak at the Montreal gym spooked Ontario.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Arcsquad12 posted:

That outbreak at the Montreal gym spooked Ontario.

Funny that one gym outbreak from another province spooked us but not the billion workplace outbreaks.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

prom candy posted:

I think we may actually vaccinate our way out of this mess. Although looking at Israel we'll probably need to keep some level of restrictions and masking for a long while yet. I bought tickets to see Men I Trust in November, but I'm not super confident it'll happen.

I think Delta still has a Rt over 1, it's just that our Alpha cases are plummeting. I do think we'll start to see a plateau or even rising cases, maybe later this week, but hopefully our vaccination can outpace it and we can get it back down again.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

prom candy posted:

Funny that one gym outbreak from another province spooked us but not the billion workplace outbreaks.

It sounds like someone's not thinking of the economy. Why do you hate jobs?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least 134 dead in Vancouver from the heat wave and the best officials can do is say "thoughts and prayers" and make some mealy mouthed gesture towards climate action.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Arcsquad12 posted:

At least 134 dead in Vancouver from the heat wave and the best officials can do is say "thoughts and prayers" and make some mealy mouthed gesture towards climate action.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I take it the people of Metro Vancouver aren't happy with the government response?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

At least 134 dead in Vancouver from the heat wave

That is insane.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

What government response?

Oh you mean some misting stations and cooling centers in underground parking. Yeah that was okay if you could make it through the death rays to get there.

Too bad for all the seniors and others who have no AC and roasted to death, or hell, had AC that was inadequate and still died. Probably because they live in buildings https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/seniors-heat-air-conditioning (like this one) which are designed just to suck in unfiltered air from outside.

But hey, it’s their own fault. Personal responsibility and all that.

gently caress I hate Horgan’s big fat Boomer mouth.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 30, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm pretty used to hearing reports from Quebec about the dozens of seniors killed every year by heat waves while being trapped in old rural houses without central air. Happening in a city just feels like ire of the same with the same lack of response to try and prevent this from happening.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Everyone who a few years back told me "air conditioning isn't necessary in Calgary, it's a luxury" can lick my now-nicely-air-conditioned taint.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I have an air conditioner, but only one, and I face south so the sun has been directly blasting our bedrooms for days. I’m young but have asthma and the heat was starting to mess me up, just like forest fire season does every year. My elderly mother was confined to her room where the AC was cause if not she’d probably be on the list.

The only green space in the DTES opened two days into the heatwave.

I was already convinced of climate change but this was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced before. There are over a hundred dead, and that number is gonna grow. But all we really got is a “poo poo happens”.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The people with money were always going to cut and run the moment things got bad. If they can look at 100+ people dying and shrug then we're well and truly hosed when things become serious enough for the rich to actually make a break for it.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Arcsquad12 posted:

The people with money were always going to cut and run the moment things got bad. If they can look at 100+ people dying and shrug then we're well and truly hosed when things become serious enough for the rich to actually make a break for it.

I mean, when have they ever looked at excess deaths and given a poo poo. This is a big blip, but we accept horrific death rates among the homesless every winter in ontario, with a much younger average age. Our society has never cared for the vulnerable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The people building new condo buildings without central AC were, frankly, negligent.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I was in a tiny apartment with no AC and no fans (sold out everywhere in Victoria) and it was loving brutal

Got through it by just showering constantly, although the water wasn't really cold it def took the edge off. Haven't slept properly for a few days though

gently caress this

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

PT6A posted:

The people building new condo buildings without central AC were, frankly, negligent.

a lot of the buildings in vancouver that had central AC removed it because strata boards didn't want to pay the maintenance and insurance costs

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

PT6A posted:

gently caress yeah that's me. It's a small loving silver lining that my condo faces north and gets no sunlight. I started working from home earlier this year and miss my old a/c'd workplace so much.

I legit feel exhausted and not well after days of sweating, sleeping like poo poo, and hot out my rear end

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah, I had a south-facing unit with no AC a while back. It would get up to 28-29 indoors even with lower outdoor temperatures than this heatwave is bringing, so RIP whoever is living there now!

I wouldn't go back to a south-facing unit if you paid me. What a garbage aspect. Fools are like, "but it will be sunny and nice!" but it's really, really not. North and east is the way to go, I was sitting outside on my shady balcony this afternoon and that's the way to go, and on cool mornings the sun comes from the east, and then provides shade during the hottest part of the day. Once you know, you know.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/CBCMeg/status/1409991814216617984?s=20

I should just really stop reading the news.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Can you imagine after this heat wave buying some 1000+$/sqft condo in Vancouver that doesn't come with air conditioning? lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Beelzebufo posted:

I mean, when have they ever looked at excess deaths and given a poo poo. This is a big blip, but we accept horrific death rates among the homesless every winter in ontario, with a much younger average age. Our society has never cared for the vulnerable.

I get what you’re saying but there is a very recent and obvious example of people giving a poo poo about excess deaths. When the average CTV watcher hears “heatwave deaths”, they’re not usually thinking of the homeless, they’re thinking of their grandparents, just like they did with COVID.

The timing of Horgan’s comments as we come out of a 15-month period of checking daily death counts makes them all the more psycho. And on top of that, I don’t think many people see this as just a blip, but just the beginning.