Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The wires didn't slice the motorcycle, it just happened to fall apart at that exact moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think you're all taking a scene clearly played for a joke way too seriously.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"The Aristocrats!" except its "Goons are huge nerds"

Seriously, he flies away in a jetpack and people are asking if the physics are possible.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I'll buy that Sabretooth loosened all the fasteners on Logan's bike ahead of time because when you're gonna do a prank you don't half-rear end it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

TheMostFrench posted:

"The Aristocrats!" except its "Goons are huge nerds"

Seriously, he flies away in a jetpack and people are asking if the physics are possible.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

http://www.daclarke.org/Humour/santa.html

"Nerds, Santa isn't even real!"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The alternative is the motorcycle got destroyed but wolverine didn't because he has an adamantium skeleton stronger than any other metal on earth. He's hanging in the air because the ropes stopped at his skeleton, and they didn't depict the gruesome wounds he would have received. :eng101:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

The alternative is the motorcycle got destroyed but wolverine didn't because he has an adamantium skeleton stronger than any other metal on earth. He's hanging in the air because the ropes stopped at his skeleton, and they didn't depict the gruesome wounds he would have received. :eng101:

I mean... the wires are going THROUGH Logan, he's not tangled up in them. I'm pretty sure that's literally the explanation for that scene.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One day Wolverine's gonna get sick of him and just ruin the fun by yelling "gently caress OFF VICTOR!" "but... my names sabretooth..." "IT'S VICTOR. We both know it, you're named like a bloody butler."

Just go full on Ultimate Spiderman teasing Shocker. "I never knew your name was Herman :3:"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BioEnchanted posted:

One day Wolverine's gonna get sick of him and just ruin the fun by yelling "gently caress OFF VICTOR!" "but... my names sabretooth..." "IT'S VICTOR. We both know it, you're named like a bloody butler."

Just go full on Ultimate Spiderman teasing Shocker. "I never knew your name was Herman :3:"

When you've chosen to be known as "the Shocker" then Herman holds no terror.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"GET BACK HERE HERMAN! I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN TO THE ENDS OF THE EEEAAAARTTH! HERMMAAAAN!!"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"Your hands vibrate, huh? You must be very popular with the ladies!"

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Push El Burrito posted:

Sure Beast is all cute until he tampers with the fundamental laws of man and god then everyone gets on his case.

Someone post that panel of Maria Hill talking about how much she loving haaaaates Beast.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Polaron posted:

Someone post that panel of Maria Hill talking about how much she loving haaaaates Beast.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Okay, I know how to draw out my A's, but how do you draw out an H like that? Every time I try, I just end up drawing out the A.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Hold the H like you are snarling or growling - just hold the throat in the shape it forms when you say an H sound and expel air. Like you are doing a vampire impression. That kind of snarl.

Also, something I appreciate in Wolverine's Revenge is that there are some interesting little set-dressing things that you can see that are totally optional which I like. An example is in act 2 level 1 where there is a big broken bridge across from the place where you power-up the base so you can get inside it, and if you hop partially across the bridge you see a guy struggling with a van's cargo, and as you approach he falls, gripping the edge of the road. There is a timer so I think you can save him but I have no idea what saving him gets you and I hosed it up anyway because the prompt wouldn't show up to interact with him.
THere is also a little computer in level 2-2 that when you turn it on it shows you a security footage of a monster in the mines. Just a little foreshadowing. That's a nice bit of unexpected polish, it shows they really tried with making the game rather than just slamming it out. (I'm onto Act 2-3 now)

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Jun 28, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Randalor posted:

Okay, I know how to draw out my A's, but how do you draw out an H like that? Every time I try, I just end up drawing out the A.

Lol

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Hold the H like you are snarling or growling - just hold the throat in the shape it forms when you say an H sound and expel air. Like you are doing a vampire impression. That kind of snarl.

I mean... I wasn't expecting a serious answer to that question, but it's good to know.

And of COURSE it's BioEnchanted that knows that.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

SiKboy posted:

When you've chosen to be known as "the Shocker" then Herman holds no terror.

And he's proud of it. Just wear that Shocker name like a badge!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly I think that, unless you have a real strong sense of humor about yourself and a dedication to making the universe laugh:

If you are caught like an egg in an egg-slicer and your incredibly smug nemesis is about to jetpack away, that is just about the worst time to call attention to his name, when his name means "The guy who wins"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

thecluckmeme posted:

Sure, that much is obvious.

But what about the trees? No extra slack on the wires! They were tough enough to slice through a motorcycle and dangle a heavy-metal-skeleton plus regular other body bits, but didn't slice into the trees when doing so?

Did Sabertooth acquire some kind of myserious, force-nullifying me-

Ok, solved it. The wires are vibranium.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No, clearly the trees are vibranium

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

The gruesome wounds have already healed. He is fused with the wires now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I get a giggle at comics onomatopoeia, because I imagine the artist sitting at his art desk, making 8 year old action figure sounds.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Push El Burrito posted:

It's the speed force.

Sure Beast is all cute until he tampers with the fundamental laws of man and god then everyone gets on his case.

It's actually canon that the Speed Force doesn't exist in the Marvel universe, the Flash starts losing his powers when he enters it in JLA/Avengers.

On the other hand, Scarlet Witch actually gets more powerful in the DC universe because her chaos magic actually is perfectly compatible with DC chaos magic, to the point where the Lords of Chaos apparently get worried.

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
Wrong thread.

Ockhams Crowbar has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Jun 29, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oh my god. I just saw a flash of Credits as I prepared to start act 3 in Wolverine's Revenge. I had no idea Wolverine was Mark Hammil in this game. That's fun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh my god. I just saw a flash of Credits as I prepared to start act 3 in Wolverine's Revenge. I had no idea Wolverine was Mark Hammil in this game. That's fun.

hammil's got one of those voices where you might not recognize him if you're not explicitly looking for him but instantly recognize him if you are

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's easier when he's playing some kind of villain, you'll often hear the Joker just start to creep through

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wish Yakuza would've kept Mark Hamill. Keep everyone the same, but just for some reason Majima speaks English.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Bloody hell though, level 3-1 of Wolverine's Revenge is a hell of a spike in difficulty.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
In Subnautica, I always got a chuckle how about an hour after starting a game where you crash land on an ocean world, your PDA happily chimes in with the following:

quote:

"Congratulations, survivor: you have exceeded your weekly exercise quotient by 500%.
Data indicates that swimming was your favorite activity.
Be sure to vary your routine for uniform muscle development."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's honestly not a little thing at all, it's actually quite a big thing, but I'd like to post about The Outer Worlds, which I have been playing lately. I knew going into it that it takes place in a sort of corporate dystopia. Based on everything I had heard about it going into it, I had assumed that it would be a very cynical sort of game in the style of Borderlands. It's not. With almost every character you meet, what you find is another example of a person trying to express their humanity in an environment where that is a very hard thing for a person to do.

My favorite example of this is Reed Tobson. The first major quest of the game is about getting a vital part for your ship. There are only two on the planet it's on, and they're each being used to power a community. One is powering Edgewater, a miserable town owned by Spacer's Choice (basically space Walmart,) and the other is powering the Botanical Garden, a community of people who left Edgewater to escape the disease and exploitation. Reed Thompson, the guy running Edgewater, is a total flunky for Spacer's Choice and the decisions he is making for the town on their behalf are driving it and its people into the ground. When I first met him I thought, ah, here's a real scumbag. This is going to be the first guy I meet who cares more about profits than people.

However, what you come to find out near the end of the quest is that Spacer's Choice isn't what Reed cares about the most. He likes Spacer's Choice because he credits them and their direction with Edgewater's prosperity, such as it is. The reason he wants you to shut down the Botanical Garden is because he cares about the citizens of both communities and he thinks they'll have the best chance at survival if the two unite. If you end up cutting off the power to the Botanical Garden, the leader insists that she will not return to Edgewater as long as Reed is there. When you inform Reed of this, he just asks for a few hours to pack his things. Him leaving his assigned post will piss off Spacer's Choice and almost certainly get him killed, but he's happy to do it if you can convince him it's what is best for the people of Edgewater. He was never leading them to ruin because he doesn't care about them, he was leading them to ruin because Spacer's Choice had convinced him that his terrible leadership was what was best for them. He's a bullheaded moron, and his stupidity was getting people killed, but he still cares.

Going into The Outer Worlds, what I expected was a game world in which everyone buys into the craven corporate "gently caress you, got mine" mentality. What I found instead was a game world in which a cruel establishment is trying very hard to instill that mentality into every last person, yet almost everyone you meet is trying to work within or against that system for something other than their own self-interest. There's plenty of dark corporate hellworld humor to go around of course, but overall it's a game with a shockingly optimistic perspective on humanity.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Jun 30, 2021

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My favorite little thing in Outer Worlds is that instead of being able to romance your crew they threw in a side quest where you help one of your crew mates romance somebody else. Actually, I specifically like that for no particular reason except for representation they made that crewmate an asexual lesbian, and put in the effort to explore the effect that one member of a romance being asexual when the other isn't would have on that relationship.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Not romancing Garrus or Tali in Mass Effect leads them into a relationship with each other :allears:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Velocity Raptor posted:

In Subnautica, I always got a chuckle how about an hour after starting a game where you crash land on an ocean world, your PDA happily chimes in with the following:

You were also originally working for Alterra, a giant, evil corporation, before the ship got shot down and you got put in a stranded survival scenario. When you start picking up diamonds about a third of the way through an average playthrough, your PDA chimes in to tell you that all materials gathered are property of Alterra and you've racked up a tab of like a million credits that you'll be expected to pay back.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You were also originally working for Alterra, a giant, evil corporation, before the ship got shot down and you got put in a stranded survival scenario. When you start picking up diamonds about a third of the way through an average playthrough, your PDA chimes in to tell you that all materials gathered are property of Alterra and you've racked up a tab of like a million credits that you'll be expected to pay back.

Doesn't the game end with a tally of what you owe or something too

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Ariong posted:

It's honestly not a little thing at all, it's actually quite a big thing, but I'd like to post about The Outer Worlds, which I have been playing lately. I knew going into it that it takes place in a sort of corporate dystopia. Based on everything I had heard about it going into it, I had assumed that it would be a very cynical sort of game in the style of Borderlands. It's not. With almost every character you meet, what you find is another example of a person trying to express their humanity in an environment where that is a very hard thing for a person to do.

One of my faves was Martin Callahan, the Spacer's Choice guy wearing their dumb mascot mask.

He's just so... broken under there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeCI4qUwr_w

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Doesn't the game end with a tally of what you owe or something too

It ends with as you escape the planet, alterra informs you your debt is now much, much bigger

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

One of my faves was Martin Callahan, the Spacer's Choice guy wearing their dumb mascot mask.

He's just so... broken under there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeCI4qUwr_w

Yeah, that's a good little side story. Near him there's a public terminal where he's accidentally left his account logged in so you can read some of his emails, which illuminates his character a bit beyond what you can get him to admit to in the dialogue shown in this video. Basically his job is soul crushing and it's absolutely killing him on the inside, but in the Halcyon system where the game takes place, his job is one of the safest and most stable that there is. The people down on the planets are either doing backbreaking work within the walls of a corporate city or fighting for their lives in the wilderness. Martin has a steady paycheck and his life is never in danger, so he feels that he should be grateful and happy for his position, so on top of the negative feelings inspired by his terrible job he also feels guilty for feeling that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've been playing Sam & Max Save The World Remastered, and I like how Max is always wandering around and poking at stuff and casually making armpit noises while Sam is trying to figure out The Problem of The Day. First, because I have played many games where your sidekick is glued to your sides at all times and it's nice to see Max noodle off to his own devices, and second because it's interesting to see what my raging ADHD probably looks like from the outside. Oh and also whenever Sam and Max are about to collide, Sam casually flings Max offscreen. And I appreciate that because I also have played many games where I get temporarily stuck because an NPC just decides to trap me behind a table or stand in front of the treasure or w/e. And he doesn't even break stride, it's just a casual part of his day to slap Max fifty feet into the air and Max is clearly having the time of his fuzzy little life.