Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
how about. i woke up too early cause of loud construction noises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Guavanaut posted:

People who use "woke" unironically.

Anne Robinson is the new countdown host and was moaning on the news how she couldn't make something like weakest link now as people are too woke.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Wokest Wank, where she still insults everyone but it's all insults that people think 'woke' people use.

"Do people know you're a gamma male sexist white guilt imperialist genderphobe? How many statues of Cecil Rhodes do you have?"

Also the contestants are all gamma male sexist white guilt imperialist genderphobes with statues of Cecil Rhodes so it works. They can use the Question Time audience list.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I saw an old clip from the weakest link from years ago and bloody hell some of the jokes have not aged well at all

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Lungboy posted:

Anne Robinson is the new countdown host and was moaning on the news how she couldn't make something like weakest link now as people are too woke.

and yet we can get guff like love island

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I saw an old clip from the weakest link from years ago and bloody hell some of the jokes have not aged well at all

There was a clip doing the rounds on twitter (maybe ITT as well?) a couple of months ago where Anne Robinson spent a good few minutes just heaping abuse on a contestant because they were a single mum to two teenagers. Robinson basically badgered her into defending her kids because the ' ' ' joke ' ' ' was that they obviously had a string of ASBOs. I didn't watch much Weakest Link when it was on but seeing it now it's shocking how spiteful and insulting the tone was, even if that was just part of the show's gimmick.

It was also a horrible insight into a) how the UK has a really lovely attitude to children in general and b) how poo poo so much of the cultural narrative was under New Labour. Obviously, if it's a single mum raising teenagers the mum's going to be a lazy benefits scrounger and the kids are going to be delinquents blitzed out of their minds on alcopops smashing in bus shelters.

And that was quality prime-time family viewing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New Labour were even more committed to the idea that "the only place you should be raising children is within a (hetero monogamous) marriage" than even the Thatcher/Major Tories were, from their single parent welfare 'reforms' to outright stating that.

What happens if one party passes away or leaves or is intolerable to live with was apparently beyond them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again TV is just the internet for old people, if I want to watch people be pricks I can do that on the internet.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

once again i regret to inform you that im becoming the joker

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ndroidApp_Other

Brewdog prove themselves to be full of poo poo, yet again.

Can't help but feel that if they so go public the shares are gonna bomb like hell.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Perfect Element posted:

Can't help but feel that if they so go public the shares are gonna bomb like hell.

quote:

It said the valuation was “reasonable based on multiple factors – including the price we paid for its manufacture, the constituent metal and quality of the final product, the standard retail markup and the rarity and uniqueness of the cans.”

So they literally just decided it was worth £15k because they guesstimated that that was the value of a collectible novelty can. ie "someone might conceivably pay that much for it".

I feel like this should count as competition fraud but I'm sure there's a loophole to make them legally sound on Normal Island.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pretty sure that making them legally sound a 330ml can would break some part of the HRA, but it is plated with a micron of gold so you might be able to get medical approval.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

Has literally anyone on the left used "woke" unironically?
One of my favourite usernames on here is 'suck my woke dick.'

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Perfect Element posted:

Either that or they go the way of Tesla and are catnip to morons

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

they already have a dedicated brigade of simps who worship the ground they walk on.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The Wokest Wank, where she still insults everyone but it's all insults that people think 'woke' people use.

"Do people know you're a gamma male sexist white guilt imperialist genderphobe? How many statues of Cecil Rhodes do you have?"

Also the contestants are all gamma male sexist white guilt imperialist genderphobes with statues of Cecil Rhodes so it works. They can use the Question Time audience list.

Does Ian Hislop get a little table on the side where he can make a wry joke and chuckle to the camera whilst rapping his knuckles on the table

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
I realize this is pretty "explain the UK to Americans" but I've been watching Taskmaster and just got to the season with David Baddiel in it. He's a total moron on the show but I also remember about him being a moron/prick in other things, can anyone give me a quick run-down or pointer in the right direction?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's just some ancient 90's comedian who, like most of them, decided he was extremely clever and poltiically informed while just being a tory.

There's an endless supply of people who self identify as apolitical or some other flavour of idiot centrist but who just have entirely unremarkable right wing opinions about everything and who are also for some reason convinced that 1. it is still the 90's and 2. they are still cool despite being a million years old and shuffling through daytime TV bookings and lovely book deals like reanimated corpses.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 29, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Baddiel will also block you immediately on twitter any time you ask him about that time he performed in blackface.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

shimmy shimmy posted:

I realize this is pretty "explain the UK to Americans" but I've been watching Taskmaster and just got to the season with David Baddiel in it. He's a total moron on the show but I also remember about him being a moron/prick in other things, can anyone give me a quick run-down or pointer in the right direction?

He started in a 90s comedy show called The Mary Whitehouse Experience, which was great back then but horribly dated. I still think History Today is funny though and will fight you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhrD5SVo3OU

He then joined in the 'lad culture' of the 90s, hosted football themed shows, did a football song, and never really left that mentally since.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, he's an unreflective person who hasn't bothered to engage with any new ideas for at least two decades but retains an overbearing belief in his own obvious intellectual superiority.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Talked scythes a couple days ago, here's my scythe frankenstein now.

Norweigan carbon steel blade, homemade snath in eastern european fashion with a single handle and wedge style attachement. I need to work on the handle ring yet, didn't get it the proper size for the snath (which is hand carved so not perfectly round or straight all the way). Had to resort to some shims to make it fit for now. I have made it so you turn the handle to tighten the ring around the snath. The idea is you will be able to easily move the single handle to where you want it without tools. I might make it into a two handle setup yet though.

Had to reinforce the snath, it broke more than once. Fir isn't the ideal material... But cheap and light.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
David Baddiel wrote a book called "Jews Don't Count" all about how the Left doesn't take antisemitism seriously and when he got to the subject of left wing Jews wrote that they don't count because they actually just secretly hate being Jews.

He is nether a bright nor a serious man.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Umbra Dubium posted:

Has literally anyone on the left used "woke" unironically?

I feel like I remember a bunch of leftist americans using it half a decade back, but I can't say Ive seen it unironically from the european left.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
'Woke' replaced
'Social Justice Warriors', which replaced
'PC gone mad', which replaced
'Looney Lefties', which replaced
'Women's Libbers'

The insults change over the decades, but it's always the same fight: between people who challenge existing power structures and want everyone to be treated decently and people who... don't want that. You can see the exact same articles in newspapers going back decades.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

shimmy shimmy posted:

Euro96

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

Does Ian Hislop get a little table on the side where he can make a wry joke and chuckle to the camera whilst rapping his knuckles on the table
The little wry chuckle chair.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Forgive the pseudishness but Baddiel really did have a remarkable bit of luck in managing to hit the rising tide of all three major cultural shifts of the 90s. He was part of the third-wave alternative comedy boom and (thanks to being paired up with the much funnier Rob Newman) was propelled to the very top of the "comedy is the new rock and roll" part of that boom.

Then - thanks to coincidentally being a flatmate of the much funnier Frank Skinner - he managed to catch the popularity wave of the brand new sport of "football" after it was invented in 1992 by Rupert Murdoch and so caught the Lad movement (populated entirely by middle class people cosplaying as working class of course) on it's upward curve.

Then - thanks to teaming up with the far more talented Lightning Seeds - he managed to get himself into the Britpop/Cool Britannia mix too.

Like he's not *untalented* - some of his solo standup is pretty good, and his novels aren't the worst - but he's managed to cement his place in the Centrist Pantheon by the purest luck of timing and connections, and of course he completely ignores this and assumes he is completely self-made and so deserving of this position of power and privilege, and never for a second reflects about why his erstwhile partners *don't* get the massive platform that he's afforded (hint: Newman is extremely left wing, Skinner is actually authentically working class)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Then - thanks to coincidentally being a flatmate of the much funnier Frank Skinner - he managed to catch the popularity wave of the brand new sport of "football" after it was invented in 1992 by Rupert Murdoch and so caught the Lad movement (populated entirely by middle class people cosplaying as working class of course) on it's upward curve.

Lmao I don't like the guy either but cmon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for reminding me that the three big cultural waves of the 90s were that brand of mainstream alternative comedy, televised football stripped of any sense of place, and Britpop. Bad decade.

And the other 90s trifecta of home internet, conspiracy culture, and South Park just got us Nazis again.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

At least now the 90s are over, and it is approximately the year 2000, meaning we live in the future and Tonty Blair's ended history so things can only get same

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

TheRat posted:

I feel like I remember a bunch of leftist americans using it half a decade back, but I can't say Ive seen it unironically from the european left.

It's originally AAVE, I don't think anyone here had appropriated it yet before the Daily Mail started using it as an insult

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

At least now the 90s are over, and it is approximately the year 2000, meaning we live in the future and Tonty Blair's ended history so things can only get same
*five seconds later*
A second Tonty has hit the world history!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

shimmy shimmy posted:

Baddiel... a quick run-down or pointer in the right direction?

it's a symptom of one of the many diseases in the british system that also highlights the generational/social divide-

For decades there has barely been any fresh "talent" (for want of a better word) brought into the mainstream, at the same time there has been a massive and continued exodus of younger (and at this point I'm talking under 50 years) viewers from live broadcast television to largely internet based stuff/on demand

As younger folks stopped watching for various reasons, the programming increasingly focused on the remaining (elderly, more conservative leaning) viewers and their want for more of the same reliably reassuring and non challenging crap- people who were last relevant in the 90s doing... things.

Celebrity bake off. Celebrity big brother. Celebrity house renovation show. Celebrity sat on a comedy panel show. Celebrity ancestry tests. Celebrity bristol stool chart showdown. Got a show idea that's not being picked up? Stack it with some people who were last culturally relevant at the time of the first spice girls single and you probably just got greenlit.

After two decades+ of this, much like journalism, a walled-off, incestuous and viciously self protective little ecosystem has been created of people who can reliably spout a useful and safe opinion and not kick up a fuss otherwise.

Without it, baddiel would be half the answer of a question on a shite pub quiz and nowt more

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Lmao I don't like the guy either but cmon

Show me the lie. He's a privately-educated Footlights alum, he gets minor props for being (or claiming to be) a Chelsea fan pre-Gullit but he never attended a game until he started doing FFL, and FFL was as integral to Lad culture as Loaded and whoever made those lovely hats.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Show me the lie. He's a privately-educated Footlights alum, he gets minor props for being (or claiming to be) a Chelsea fan pre-Gullit but he never attended a game until he started doing FFL, and FFL was as integral to Lad culture as Loaded and whoever made those lovely hats.

It was more the 1992 gag I was loling at

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It was more the 1992 gag I was loling at

It's a pretty standard football gag tbh

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I did like Baddiel's comedy, both from the Mary Whitehouse Experience and the later Newman and Baddiel in pieces.

I found he has this self depreciation comedy thing going on in a similar vein to Rodney Dangerfield (though very different styles) which I enjoyed a lot. Though I suspect that the reason I liked the later show was due to Rob Newman and his personal life anecdotes. I like a lot of comedians that do the "here's an anecdote about something that actually happened". It's why I like Jim Bruer and Dave Gorman as comedians.

Now that he is on his own however, there's not much to like. It seems he definitely needed to be with other comedians to really succeed.

Also Punt and Dennis are a national treasure.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Reading about a real ACAB story rn. In 2011 a guy gets locked out of his house so breaks a window to climb inside. A neighbour calls the police suspecting a burglary. They proceed to smash down the front door, arrest the guy and interrogate him for hours. Despite him proving its his house it goes to trial, where the jury quickly toss the case out and find him not guilty. The police appeal against this and are denied. They're now appealing again on some other technical legal point, apparently just to make this guy's life a misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

Reading about a real ACAB story rn. In 2011 a guy gets locked out of his house so breaks a window to climb inside. A neighbour calls the police suspecting a burglary. They proceed to smash down the front door, arrest the guy and interrogate him for hours. Despite him proving its his house it goes to trial, where the jury quickly toss the case out and find him not guilty. The police appeal against this and are denied. They're now appealing again on some other technical legal point, apparently just to make this guy's life a misery.

It might not even be personal, that's probably the only burglary case they've solved in years and they need to get the numbers up.